Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 12,952 comments
I can't help but thinking the updates always feels a bit lackluster when there's no new track added. The "new" cars won't set any hearts on fire either. Sure, I look forward to driving the Ginetta and the 935 and I've always liked the 1M, but still.

On a positive note, I might try some online racing again now, since the matchmaking has been adjusted. The changes to AI behaviour is also VERY welcome.

It'll be interesting to see how the increased track material luminance will affect the overall look of the game. The gamma changes was a big step in the right direction, so my hopes are high with this one as well.
Larry Shrug GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Next track is confirmed for Update 9.

Slightly disappointed with the cars. I would like for them to catch up to FH5's newer cars as soon as possible, if they can't drop newer racecars.

The fixes seem big (if they work). Hope they can get the matchmaking & rating system working fully.

Should be about 11.44 GB on windows store

Last edited:
Light on new content this month, but a bunch of good fixes & changes to make up for it. We're gonna have lighter months sometimes, that's just how it is. At least we know next month will bring another track.

Ironically (if that's the right word), this update could be the most significant since the progression changes, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that these updates are coming every month like clockwork, we can't always get a track and a stable of new cars to use.

I was hoping maybe we'd see the new Mustang with the gorgeous body kit from FH5, bit of a shame, hope it makes its way soon.

I won't get to play any multiplayer until after update 9, so curious to see others experiences with the new changes, but at least with cloud gaming I'll be able to finish the featured tours without too much trouble.

I love the new Ginetta that's getting added. But damn, seeing cars we've previously had in older forzas is driving me up the wall (excluding the Elemental, which is ACTUALLY new to FM). Focus car list my butt, I knew removing the majority of the cars (except for the trophy trucks and others that did need removing) would be a terrible idea. It's just enabling T10 to dripfeed those same cars from FM7.

Sorry for the rant, but as somebody who got into an heated argument years ago over striving to keeping the large list of cars and expanding on it, this greatly frustrates me. I can only wish T10 would start adding new cars in a similar vein to what FH5 is currently doing - cars we've never had in any Forza ever, for example.

Good for fix stuff, but again, the car additions are quite overwelming.
Elemental, Ginetta and 935 are good cars, not get me wrong, but why recycle old and less interesting versions of cars already in game? (Cayman in this update and in old update the Huracan LP610-4) when you can put a lot of cars from FM7/FH5 who are much interesting to have in this game?
And for the love of god, the spotlight cars should be cars not in the game from D1, again this joke. (They started damm well and now... it's just... a Mockery)

Last edited:
After analyzing and getting my rant out the way of the lack of new content for this update, I do like the fact that theres some touches to freeplay, the AI and track details. So I do look forward to a better racing experience with this update and looking ahead to how they plan to break up the Forza GT division.
Indeed. The cars are the only I'm frustrated by. But everything else is incredible! Just seeing these improvements and fixes shines a light on FM's direction, which are positives in my book. :)

Just updated. Thought about doing a few laps just to find out that in rivals mode, since the update, the car progression doesn't work anymore and you earn no credits either. what a joke this game is. every update comes with issues. who codes this game? such a mess.

I've being running some races in scenarios where the brake checking was rampant, such as turn 1 of Spa and the climb of Eau Rouge and turn 1 of Mugello and it's left-right, left-right sequence, and the results are very encouraging. Since they now take fast turns better, the races can get more competitive.

That being said, beware of slower corners since they still tend to brake rather late and deep, coming to a standstill sometimes, but there is improvement. That was for Series X, I still need to download the PC update.

Last edited:
Some part of me thinks that they have collected data that many players don't care much about new cars in FM23 hence not buying all of the showcase cars while they are on sale, not finishing the tours for the rewards, etc...

Of course, this could be self-inflicted because they completely refused to give us any stats in game, or give us a view to show us how far we are with collecting.

In that respect, FM7 had a car collection screen (added post-launch?) which even allowed you to buy cars in bulk without needing to visit the dealership. And FH5 has a gamified collection process with a unique screen and even reward cars for collecting everything by a manufacturer. Totally different reward structure, causing presumably many many more car collectors, I think.

Edit: I just had my first go with the update. Frame rate during the benchmark was unchanged on my current settings.
I noticed 2 main things:
1. The menu screens which show your car (not the painting/upgrade ones) seem to be a bit brighter now. And on track seems to be slightly more vibrant. I turned the brightness setting down a hint to compensate.
2. They changed the behaviour tracking your fastest lap in a session. Since launch it would always show your fastest lap, dirty or clean. Now it will stick to showing you your fastest clean lap, even if a dirty one is seconds faster. This is the same behaviour as FM7, but to change it now is a bit weird.

When it comes to brake checking - I stayed behind the front two cars for a couple of laps to see what happened. Corner braking was reasonable, but for some reason the 2nd place car would consistently catch up to the 1st place car on the start/finish straight and would brake unexpectedly instead of trying to pass. I was right behind it when that happened so got heavily brake-checked, but in this case it was clearly due to the AI braking instead of passing. Poor behaviour either way.

Last edited:
My first race post-update was the final Rulebook Racer round at Nurburgring GP. At the end of the final lap of practice one of the AI appeared to turn left to join the Nordschleife and crashed into the barrier.
I always start in 12th or lower so I have a few cars to pass before I get to near the front. I was 3rd at the start of lap 3, no real issues with brake checking or other random silliness. The AI was competitive up to the point of being overtaken and then rapidly disappeared in my rear mirror still. I passed the front car near the end of lap 3. By the end of final 4th lap I won by 8 seconds yet my lap times were only 3 seconds faster than 2nd position. Maybe he stopped for a coffee, who knows.
So, IMHO, no real changes so far in AI behaviour. I've still got one race left in each of the last 3 Retro Racer Tour to complete.

Last edited:
Mixed bag. Ginetta, matchmaking changes, paint shop changes, tire wear multiplier all very good. Everything else kinda meh, and an especially big meh for the other cars as the 935 was originally announced to be in the game at launch so it just feels like blatantly held back content, and I just don't see how the Cayman are going to offer something that different than the other Caymans we already have.

Tire Wear speed is a step in the right direction. Now we need Fuel speed.
I agree, but given we are 8 titles into the series and we still can't even separate fuel burn and tire wear in the lobby options, I'm not going to hold my breath.
Mine is 131.1GB 😱
I didn't accidentally uninstall... I went to started the update from the Update screen.
What the heck!
Same thing happened to me, and I'm seeing reports in Discords that it happened to many other people too.

My league races on Monday nights so I left my Xbox in "always on" mode last night so it would auto update while I was working. Naturally it didn't, so when I finished work and turned on the Xbox about an hour before the race, the update starts and it's 131gb, or 6+ hours on my internet.

I find it very annoying they moved their regular patch day to Mondays instead of doing it on the Tuesday morning marketplace refresh like almost every other game out there. With T10 and their track record of screwing things up after patches, part of the reason our league kept our races on Mondays was because if a patch came out Tuesday we had time to make sure they didn't break the game, and if they did, we had time to figure out a back up plan.

I mean I get that if they move it to a different day it's the same problem for others so there isn't really a "perfect" answer, it's just that it has been Tuesdays for years and for the first 4 or 5 updates of FM8 and they switched to Mondays a few updates ago... But I guess I'm just grumpy because I'm sitting here bitching instead of racing with my friends.

Last edited:
I can't believe they put the Ginetta G40 in with the Touring Car class. WTF? Of course the two G40 cars it gave me as AI finished last in class. The Touring Car class was doing pretty good as it was without putting a slower One Make car in there.
Why though.
I had some good races anyways and while the AI still dropped out after I passed them a few times, they were pretty quick in other areas I guess. No noticeable performance increase on PC at all.

On a positive note, the tire wear multiplier now gives shorter races some pit strategy in Free Play. I just don't get how they are talking about splitting up the Forza GT Class and then go ahead and do this. 😅

Last edited:
Off the wall question (or 2). Does FM23 add AI cars during online races? Ran a race today with a field of 14 qualifiers, 24 starters, and only 17 finishers. Seems odd to me.

Is online racing heavily dependent on tuning? Every race I enter my car setup gets modified to match some setup configuration (which I can't find) and it slows the car down considerably.

Finally has online racing always been so poor? The races I have been in lately are just a wreckfest gone bad.

I got to say this is the best the AI has been in terms of competitiveness and keeping pace in all of the FM games. Did several races with different divisions and I can no longer just easily get to 1st place unless im starting at the front of the grid and the difficulty is a bit lower. Did one race with modern factory racers using the Senna GTR, started in 10th and had a dog fight the whole 5 lap race around Daytona with another Senna on my tail and a Vulcan AMR and only ended up in 7th. Something different I noticed with the AI is that the one in the Vulcan actually reeled me in and passed me on the straights without braking! Still notice they make mistakes here and there like veering off track but man its amazing what one small tweak in the braking behaviors can do.

Last edited:
Off the wall question (or 2). Does FM23 add AI cars during online races? Ran a race today with a field of 14 qualifiers, 24 starters, and only 17 finishers. Seems odd to me.

Is online racing heavily dependent on tuning? Every race I enter my car setup gets modified to match some setup configuration (which I can't find) and it slows the car down considerably.

Finally has online racing always been so poor? The races I have been in lately are just a wreckfest gone bad.
I don't believe AI is in online races.
Very often I don't qualify. And people do leave mid race. Either disconnects, not happy with their race, angry at the other drivers etc.

In regards to tuning, obviously it helps immensely, I'm often 1.5 to 2 seconds a lap quicker in a proper/good tune, versus my own. Also more consistent.

I've experienced some very good races online, but also trash. Compared to FM7, I feel more people actually make a proper go at it though.

Last edited:
Back