The Active Stock Market Trader, or Traders of Other (Crypto ect.) Market's Thing's Thread.

Real-estate has an added benefit against inflation, which is that rent is inflation adjusted. So the return on real-estate tracks with inflation as does the price of the asset. REIT ETFs trade like gold and crypto... too fast, too volatile, and can be long term disconnected from fundamentals.
I like REITs. There is a satisfaction there with the required dividend pay out. So even if the stock value fluctuates, you have the comfort in the dividend. I prefer buying individual stocks mostly, which isn't always a great idea, but for REITs I would stay away from ETFs. It's probably best to pick some long-term ones and jump in at a value that's comfortable for the buyer.

I like REITs. There is a satisfaction there with the required dividend pay out. So even if the stock value fluctuates, you have the comfort in the dividend. I prefer buying individual stocks mostly, which isn't always a great idea, but for REITs I would stay away from ETFs. It's probably best to pick some long-term ones and jump in at a value that's comfortable for the buyer.

I like REIT ETFs better than long term REITs. I have some experience with those, I'm in a private long term REIT, and the sell off is taking so long that the effective rate of return ended up abysmal.

Last edited:
I like REIT ETFs better than long term REITs. I have some experience with those, I'm in a private long term REIT, and the sell off is taking so long that the effective rate of return ended up abysmal.
Yeah, I took a look at some of the private options out there for real estate, but I didn't find anything I wanted to risk on investing. All the REITs I have are publicly traded.

There's also Masterworks for investing in art, which is being pimped with advertising on Quora. But it seems iffy as well. There are always some fees that seem too high, or restrictions that don't really make the private options look that appealing.

So it is less than an hour until new years Texas time. I plan on dumping the $7k maximum into my Roth IRA account as soon as I can. It takes a couple of days for the money to transfer.

I have a feeling this omicron variant is going to crash the markets next week. Restaurants around here are closing, so many people calling in sick.

I want to get my money into my account so I can buy more oil futures after it crashes.

Edit: money sent

It sucks I can only save/invest 7k a year without the government sticking it's hands in my wallet.

Last edited:
It sucks I can only save/invest 7k a year without the government sticking it's hands in my wallet.
I'm curious about how you ended up in that situation. I presume that what you mean when you say "without the government sticking it's hands in my wallet" is a special government-recognized, protected account in which you can take money that you've already paid income tax on, and shelter it from any tax on capital gains (ie: a Roth IRA). I'm not sure why you think that's not the government sticking its hands in your wallet. It's more like paying the government from your wallet, and then registering the contents of your wallet with the government for non-binding promise that it won't someday tax what you make off of that money in exchange for the promise to invest it and withdraw it according to government rules.

A Roth IRA is about as government as it gets.

But anyway, can you not contribute to either a corporate or solo 401k?

But anyway, can you not contribute to either a corporate or solo 401k?
I work for a small business, no benefits. I am also putting money into an investment account, but it is subject to capitol gains.

I work for a small business, no benefits. I am also putting money into an investment account, but it is subject to capitol gains.
In that case, you can open your own 401k and contribute more toward retirement, possibly even a roth 401k. If your employer doesn't offer one, you can still make one.

Sold my Lucid shares because it was the only thing still green. SkyWest is paying me so little for training pay that those $350 actually matter right now. Who'da thunk that having a highly certificated full-time job would render you unable to afford investment?

Anyone buy BTC while it was sub $40k? I was very tempted but didn't get paid until today.
Can't remember a recent sub 40k btc but I did buy at around 40.5k. Buying more btc is a no brainer to me. I sell my staking rewards for btc and I buy more btc on big dips.

Sold all my Ether at about a 40% loss tonight. Yeah, I'm getting off the cryptocurrency ride. Maybe I'll just use the resulting funds as fun money, idk.

Last edited:
Just bought the dip (again) and have some left for when it dips further.
Based Bukele.png

Seeyouin4years.png

I've traded crypto a few times, but I don't mess with it anymore. I sold Elon's hype on Dogecoin and made a good amount.

At the moment, I'm holding a few things in the tech sector, as well as a few options for Ford which have already paid for themselves and are in a healthy profitable range. I think they're 20c for 2024, so I think those will be very valuable as Ford's EV division grows.

Does anybody have any tips on filing tax returns with cryptocurrency. I'll probably give turbotax a whirl and see if i can import the activity. Other than that I was looking at bitcointax and cryptotradertax, but I'm not sure what I will need, or if it's possible to do it without any extra software.

I have got lots of USO oil based ETF shares. I started buying at the beginning of the pandemic when oil super cheap.

My cost basis is like $40 and now it is like in the $80s.

When should I sell?

I have some in a Roth IRA, and more in regular brokerage account. I assume I can sell the stuff in the IRA account and not worry about taxes. I'm not sure how much tax I would have to pay if I sold in my other account.

A peace treaty will cause the price to plummet.

I have got lots of USO oil based ETF shares. I started buying at the beginning of the pandemic when oil super cheap.

When should I sell?

I have some in a Roth IRA, and more in regular brokerage account. I assume I can sell the stuff in the IRA account and not worry about taxes. I'm not sure how much tax I would have to pay if I sold in my other account.

You may wish to sell some of your oil stocks immediately as, incredibly, the basis of. peace treaty may have suddenly emerged. But if no peace, oil goes to $150/bbl and beyond.

When should I sell?

I'd say sell it now if you've made that much money on it. Sell it now and put that money right back into American EV stocks. Rivian and Lucid have dropped right along with everything else, but both have huge potential for future gains as the EV boom ramps up. Rivian in particular is offering a unique product in very high demand and their Amazon contract stands to be fruitful. Canoo is currently a bit of a meme stock but has potential. Arrival is a British EV company working on commercial vehicles, specifically delivery vans (small contract with UPS) and city buses. All of them just keep dropping along with the rest of the market and are 1/2 the value they were three months ago. It's a good time to buy because even if they continue lower for a while they'll eventually recover to much higher than they are now.

We seem to be at another inflection point in the economy/markets. Interesting to read the posts above made just a few weeks ago. Did Crunch sell his oil holdings? How much have the crypto boys lost? Where are we going from here? As always, it's impossible to know ... except with hindsight.

We seem to be at another inflection point in the economy/markets. Interesting to read the posts above made just a few weeks ago. Did Crunch sell his oil holdings? How much have the crypto boys lost? Where are we going from here? As always, it's impossible to know ... except with hindsight.
The stock market is one thing, and the real economy is another. The stock market will continue to tank for awhile, at least until the Fed gets its interest rates in order, which may take a few more months altogether. So the rich will suffer for months. On the other hand, the real economy looks headed for recession, so the working class will suffer for a few years as unemployment must rise.

Crypto lost a ton. I would say it's a decent time to buy into stocks as the market keeps going down.

Crypto lost a ton. I would say it's a decent time to buy into stocks as the market keeps going down.
Or buy into bonds or something along those lines. It all depends how much risk you can afford to take.

I'm pretty sure there's a group of people now taking a piss with the whole crypto market, as far as that wasn't already happening. All Doge related coins are booming, meme coins at constant highs.

I jumped on board on time again so I'm not exactly complaining but something isn't right here. :lol:

Crypto is stupid. Magnificently stupid. I wouldn't touch it if it made me 100 billion dollars.
I'd touch it for a mere billion dollars. I could use that to buy many peanuts.

The problem is that it's just tulip mania all over again. A completely speculative market that has almost no real world value, and so just ends up being a bunch of grifters all scamming each other in an attempt to not be the idiot holding the bag at the end. It's about as effective a way of making money as buying lottery tickets.

Back