How important is damage in GT5?

Do you want damage in GT5?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
Not on this planet!
SouthendRage
I'd rather burn the $$.
Seriously guys is it really that important? If you think getting penaltys in online races because of someone else's actions.

Imagine getting a loose wheel or something from someone elses actions? Damage would make it just more fun for the n00bs being morons in online mode.

Should we have the option to limit damage?

However a good side to damage is if you can't disable it for time trial mode it should stop people wallriding or going offroad due to suspension damage, so it would be much easier to stop cheats.

Should there even be damage?

Would we have to pay for damage we get to our own vehicles? this would be a very bad idea because of 'someone else's actions" however, having to pay for damages to someone elses vehicle is actually a good idea because it would provoke more professional driving.

What if the damage isn't realistic or good?

As we have recently heard in the interview is that damage would likely to only be included if it is 'perfect'. Would it matter to you if it wasn't brilliant?

Maybe there could be an option to 'limit' damage to a certain extent like having only cosmetic da,age or maybe even just mechanical damage.

What do you think?

Damage should be an Option at least for ONLINE races. Tell the truht, i WOULD die for to see damage in GT5 and the creator said if we do it, they are going to do it right. So thats why you never seen damage in previous GT games. I wish we had to pay for damage, except few online races.. etc etc. But It does not matter for me at the same time, Hard to explain, but I rather care more about having realistic driving experiance then having a realistic damage experience. But with the new PS3 power house, i bet this time you can have two :)

So in the end, Damage will be very important to me. I remeber some NFS games, after the race was over you had to pay damage, but i always had money left over from winning the race. That was not fun.

I want to see a system that once you Finish a race, you collect the money. Then you will have to go to the Garage and fix it there. I dont mean it by just one BUTTON that says FIX IT!, i want it all to be separated by Body, Springs, Electrical, Engine, transmission, ETC ETC. So lets say I drive a 96 Civic in a race. I finished 2nd, but I miss shift many times and Hit other cars too many times. So after the Race my Transmission has problems and body of the car has damage. Lets say The Front of car has minor damage, but real has More. So I would just fix the back bumper, and Transmission, and save some money on the FRONT bumper. And after that, I would do minor Engine maintenance for next race. And replace Oil and get new fresh Brakes only for the front.
I can write about stuff like this all day, but you can see where I am going with this.
So this is what i hope will make for GT5 or at least a Patch :)

Oh and I forgot to mention. If i drive 50 MPH and HIT a wall in that CIVIC, I wan to see it being TOTALED. So there are two options from this point. 1. To sell it to a junk yard. 2 To fix it up. If lets say I drove a Mercedes Sauber C9 car and i totaled the car, then I would spend what ever it costs to FIX IT ALL. But for the Civic, its not worth to spend 3 times the value to fix it into a running state, so i would just sell it into the junk yard.

Yet another addition would be good to ONLINE community. THE JUNK YARD. It would be good TO place your car there and wait for some other person to buy it. Its always few extra coins :). Lets say I drove a Jaguar C-Type and its a hard car to find or get, I totaled it, so i would go online, and put it on JUNK YARD section since I don't have any money to fix it. It would be great to have an auction for that, so once someone sets a price to buy that TOTALED car, I would agree and sell it to him for that price. That way some other person could FIX it up and drive it like new.

Everything Jaguar C-Type said there, would be great!
But I don't mind too much about damage when it's released, I'd be happy if it came in a patch if it wasn't already there when released anyway.

You should have damage penalties permanently recorded in your online profile. So, game hosts can screen out the idiots from joining altogether.

But then what will happen to people who are new to GT and are learning?
They crash a few times accidentally because they don't know when to brake or how hard to brake etc and as a result, even when they improve, the hosts will just take a look at the damage record, see the "learner" damage and not let them join?

Good point. Thats why the host should do it, not a computer. I know back in other racing games, or even some First Person Shooter games, the Host kicked wacky players that wont fallow the rules.

Like the American translator said in the video that was posted in the GT5:P subforum: Polyphony Digital are really anal about getting things right, so they're not going to include damage until they can be sure they've got it as realistic as possible. And I agree with them; I'd hate for the game's damage engine to be a half-arsed effort that was included purely to keep fans happy. The minute they start doing things for that reason is the minute the Gran Turismo series loses its appeal.

Oh and I forgot to mention. If i drive 50 MPH and HIT a wall in that CIVIC, I wan to see it being TOTALED. So there are two options from this point. 1. To sell it to a junk yard. 2 To fix it up. If lets say I drove a Mercedes Sauber C9 car and i totaled the car, then I would spend what ever it costs to FIX IT ALL. But for the Civic, its not worth to spend 3 times the value to fix it into a running state, so i would just sell it into the junk yard.

If you total the car, you pretty much can only do option 2, realistically as it would cost more to try to fix it than the car than it's actual worth. Considering how little you get for selling a used car in GT, that pretty much make the car worthless to sell totalled. If you want it to be REALLY realistic, they should have the game automatically save after every race, so if you total the car, it's gone, period. Total your zonda, gonna have to buy a new one. Dunno how fun that would be, but it would be realistic, and would definitely encourage players to stop driving like madmen.

If you total the car, you pretty much can only do option 2, realistically as it would cost more to try to fix it than the car than it's actual worth. Considering how little you get for selling a used car in GT, that pretty much make the car worthless to sell totalled. If you want it to be REALLY realistic, they should have the game automatically save after every race, so if you total the car, it's gone, period. Total your zonda, gonna have to buy a new one. Dunno how fun that would be, but it would be realistic, and would definitely encourage players to stop driving like madmen.

HA, the save would be my worst enemy, but I would keep it to AUTO save to have better experience. Oh man, it would really suck to buy a bran spanking new Zonda and crash it on a test run... :(

Oh by the way, do you think Test Runs and and quick race should have money penalties for damage? Or only the real races?
I think on a test run, it would be great to drive the heck out of the car, and if you crash it, you wont have to worry about it. But as soon you go to a race for credits and trophies. Once you crash, its a done deal.

HA, the save would be my worst enemy, but I would keep it to AUTO save to have better experience. Oh man, it would really suck to buy a bran spanking new Zonda and crash it on a test run... :(

Oh by the way, do you think Test Runs and and quick race should have money penalties for damage? Or only the real races?
I think on a test run, it would be great to drive the heck out of the car, and if you crash it, you wont have to worry about it. But as soon you go to a race for credits and trophies. Once you crash, its a done deal.

race car insurance?

Considering how little you get for selling a used car in GT, that pretty much make the car worthless to sell totalled.

what if you could salvage the engine and keep it as spare, or sell it to another zonda owner who needs a new engine.

I think damage is on the way, they could dedicate an spe on the cell to compute it, so in that sense the ability is there,

it's a possibility that professional mode is just that, and PD will include a simulation mode in the full version of 5, do you think there just modelling cars until the full release. otherwise prologue would be the full the release and the extra cars we all want would come as a download.

I think PD haven't showed there full hand, and trying to lull the competition into a false sense of security.

Every one makes such good points. But I think it would be too much for GT5. So GT6 and perfect damage system here we go!

Damage is really important to me..... but not as important as customization like on a Forza level with paint jobs..... that would make me really happy!

So you would rather put a sticker on your car rather then have good damage system... I thought you were a pro.. Now I think differently about you :(

The problems I have with damage are these:
1. You can't do every lap perfectly in a long race. Especially, if you're doing a 24 hour race in your Group C LMP, and an AI driver moves into you and forces you off the road, you crash, and then what? You spend about 1 million credits to fix it and start the race again?
2. It would mean no forgiveness for new drivers who haven't learned the game yet and run into things. Where do they get repair money from?
3. If you really want it to be realistic, you have to include mechanical failures as well. Those can't be cheap, either. And they aren't your fault!

.D3
But then what will happen to people who are new to GT and are learning?
They crash a few times accidentally because they don't know when to brake or how hard to brake etc and as a result, even when they improve, the hosts will just take a look at the damage record, see the "learner" damage and not let them join?

2. It would mean no forgiveness for new drivers who haven't learned the game yet and run into things. Where do they get repair money from?

I know i was kinda defending them on the blacklist thread, but it's not like the new drivers have to immediatly start racing online. They can practice before racing online. Then when they feel they can play without affecting other people, go online. Wow im getting a little off subject.

Damage to me is not important, cause i never wreck :sly:. No seriously damage is improtant but only if they do it right like everyone says. Mechanical damage should be done first, and then so forth.

I think that damage in GT5 would be absolutely wonderful, but it isn't the most important thing in the world.

Well let's just hope we get em both. BTW has anyone seen this yet?
1883437092_4c59450855_b.jpg

OFF TOPIC!!!^^^^^^ It's nice though, can I crash it for you? :P

Hmmm, Imagine the cost of repairing racecars with alot of carbon fibre? Thats where the problems would start.👎

It would also be a problem if you total a car that cannot be bought, I.E a car one in the licenses or a challenge race, how would you get a new one then?

Damage? No not all that important for me, although I do look forward to it when they include it finally, I know they will do a great job of it.

Damage is important. When I'm playing I feel like I'm driving a real car...until....I slam into something...then I feel like I'm in an arcade.

1. You don't need visible damage. But when you crash into a wall at 50mph your car should die. You can have suspensioin damage, tire damage, aero damage without it being visible.

2. You also need proper collision physics. One of the best reasons not to ram into someone is because it will usually cause you to crash too.

You should be able to turn it on and off. Simulation w/o damage.

Mechanical damage - yes.

Coliision physics - yes.

Visual damage - unnecessary usage of presciouss resources that cn be used for other things, AKA - no.

I love the graphical aspect of a "game", in this case GT. I love to watch replays, I'm a sucker for realisme. I can't help it, so visual damage ===> YES.

On on/off switch for damage is necessary! Those who don't like damage, can switch it off, those whom like damage can switch if on!

:)

So you would rather put a sticker on your car rather then have good damage system... I thought you were a pro.. Now I think differently about you :(

:lol:.... Im suprised you feel that way! :confused:

Of course Ive been wanting damage as badly as everyone else but adding a personal touch and as unimental said would be a huge bonus. I would love to create famous liveries and team designs that would make online racing a real treat! That 300SL shot is stunning.

GT2 had tuning options that allowed you to have race (stickered) cars so I don't see why it cannot make a return. I guess you must have thought I just wanted to rice things up! :ill:

Been in a creative field this kind of customizations is really important to me and I think it can increase the longevity of a game tremendously (as if GT's don't last long enough!)...

Robin

Mechanical damage - yes.

Coliision physics - yes.

Visual damage - unnecessary usage of presciouss resources that cn be used for other things, AKA - no.

I agree with you, a couple days ago, I watched a video of Forza 2, and you could see a Ferrari front-crashing to a wall at 150 mph and the only parts broken were, the hood, the lights and the bumper, If you crash any car at that speed nothing of the car survives. If you drive, fast and carefully, you will finish the race with a couple of scratches and a broken light.

NO, Visual Damage is not important to me.

I agree with you, a couple days ago, I watched a video of Forza 2, and you could see a Ferrari front-crashing to a wall at 150 mph and the only parts broken were, the hood, the lights and the bumper, If you crash any car at that speed nothing of the car survives. If you drive, fast and carefully, you will finish the race with a couple of scratches and a broken light.

NO, Visual Damage is not important to me.

Yeaaaaah, it definitely looks kinda weird for a car to be keeping up with the pack when it's missing a whole front end. I know Forza has mechanical damage, but from what I remember it's not very drastic until you hit a wall like 2 or 3 times....HARD.

Visual damage: I'm not going to say it's not important, but I could live with out it. But if i crash into a wall from a mistake, I think I would learn from my mistakes if my car can't move, rather then being able to crawl out of a sand trap and catch back up.

Yeaaaaah, it definitely looks kinda weird for a car to be keeping up with the pack when it's missing a whole front end. I know Forza has mechanical damage, but from what I remember it's not very drastic until you hit a wall like 2 or 3 times....HARD.

Sorry, but that couldn't be further from the truth. I participated in a fixed model/PI league with full damage turned on and a slight encounter with the wall could leave you with aero or suspension damage that could be extremely detrimental to your lap times. And, thanks to driver error, I once lost a race thanks to damaging the engine just slightly by downshifting too quickly. It only added about two seconds to my laps, but that was enough for second place to catch and pass me. Knowing that you've got to keep your car clean adds a great level of immersion to racing, especially when you're accelerating hard off a corner and come within inches of the outside wall. A complete rush. :)

A hard lick against the wall could leave a car essentially worthless, let alone multiple hits. Keep in mind that Forza 2 allowed multiple levels of damage, from cosmetic only to full... and even allowed for collisions to be turned off in online races. There's plenty of YouTube videos claiming Forza's damage system is bunk, but they've got damage set to "cosmetic" or "limited".

Back