How important is damage in GT5?

Do you want damage in GT5?

• Total voters
Damage to your recently aquired Ferrari that cost you 500K would soon make people much more carefull when entering turns, than if there was no damage at all. Damage is a must, but if you don't want it, then have the option of turning it off if you host your own race.

The only way I'll even think about buy the game with damage is if there is an option to turn it on and off. In single player mode, which I will more than likely be spending most of my time on, I don't want to have to deal with damage during my racing...especially if it's very realistic.

Either they implement damage...or they stop calling "The Real Driving Simulator"

Why? Microsoft Flight Simulator is basically the "real flying simulator" and when you crash a plane it has some cheesy crash graphic. Is does have failures, which is something I wouldn't mind in GT, but panel deformation is really the least of my worries.

They still need to keep tweaking the physics in order to be called the "real driving simulator" first.

Damage to your recently aquired Ferrari that cost you 500K would soon make people much more carefull when entering turns, than if there was no damage at all. Damage is a must, but if you don't want it, then have the option of turning it off if you host your own race.

👍

If you make the damage damn expensive to fix then it'll dissuade people from taking that 500K Ferrari and then using it like an idiot. They'll have spent all their credits buying it and then it'll look like a wreck because they crashed it like an idiot and don't have enough credits to restore it again.

Either they implement damage...or they stop calling "The Real Driving Simulator"

+2 So very true

No damage and you have The Real My Little Pony Princess Island Adventure. Bunt of softies. "I want realism but I want no repercussions to slamming the wall at a buck 50." You guys are WEAK!

honestly, damage would be beneficial to the gt series, since as people have already made points, it would definately improve online racing especially with damage at cost. and i completely agree with super numbber! a real driving simulator means that everythingthat would happen in real life should happen in-game..plus it would be pretty awesome to see a sleek ass car smashing into a wall on the test track! :P

Racing games shouldn't be about damage and like Kaz has said. Crashed cars arn't beautiful. I say GT5 should have it even though i voted no because i feel there are more important things for me like cars, tracks, weather, tire marks, sound and physics.

But everyone for everyone.....you will have options so you can pick. I one that tries to avoid a wreck at the risk of losing time but i feel it will turn in to a Forza 2 world where people play just to crash.

Racing games shouldn't be about damage and like Kaz has said. Crashed cars arn't beautiful. I say GT5 should have it even though i voted no because i feel there are more important things for me like cars, tracks, weather, tire marks, sound and physics.

But everyone for everyone.....you will have options so you can pick. I one that tries to avoid a wreck at the risk of losing time but i feel it will turn in to a Forza 2 world where people play just to crash.

I've mentioned before in various threads that damage caused by a punter should be paid for by the punter, to the person who he causes the damage to. If the punter can't pay for the damage he causes to others, then he can't race online until he makes the cash offline in single player mode. Then when he goes back online, he repairs the damage to the people he caused the damage to, then can carry on, and will be very carefull in future. There needs to be a true deterant for punters.

Why would PD bother with all the repair stuff with the cars? Wouldn't it just be easier, both for gameplay and programming, to have the cars back in working order at the start of every race?

Why would PD bother with all the repair stuff with the cars? Wouldn't it just be easier, both for gameplay and programming, to have the cars back in working order at the start of every race?

Which is exatly the way it is now. I rarely bother playing online because of the punters, They aren't even penalisesd for what they do. I mean it's like PD are having a laugh with the true GT fans, at the expence of the casual gamer.

Which is exatly the way it is now. I rarely bother playing online because of the punters, They aren't even penalisesd for what they do. I mean it's like PD are having a laugh with the true GT fans, at the expence of the casual gamer.

Having them pay to fix a car wouldn't work though, you know how people are with some games. People will cheat, get a ton of credits, and go have fun. They will exploit the system and thus making it not work. The best way to deal with it is to have PD figure out a better time penalty system.

Casual gamer will always be the most import for a game company, that's where they make there money. GT is one of the best selling series on the Playstation as far as I know, it takes more then a few thousand hardcore people to get those sort of sales.

I've mentioned before in various threads that damage caused by a punter should be paid for by the punter, to the person who he causes the damage to. If the punter can't pay for the damage he causes to others, then he can't race online until he makes the cash offline in single player mode. Then when he goes back online, he repairs the damage to the people he caused the damage to, then can carry on, and will be very carefull in future. There needs to be a true deterant for punters.

None of this someone else paying for damage would work. I also feel that computers are not at a level where damage looks acceptable. I have played grid and examined how good it is and well it falls short. If you watch an impact in slow motion you could see metal bending before the cars touch each other.
Again, we are not ready for damage on modern equipment and i feel that a player should just have to drive right.

Having them pay to fix a car wouldn't work though, you know how people are with some games. People will cheat, get a ton of credits, and go have fun. They will exploit the system and thus making it not work. The best way to deal with it is to have PD figure out a better time penalty system.

regardless of how many credits a rammer has, if they get ex amount of time offline, like a ban for their pathetic driving. When their ban expires, then they can play online again, provided they pay for damaged caused. If they don't want to pay, then they wont be able to play online.

Casual gamer will always be the most import for a game company, that's where they make there money. GT is one of the best selling series on the Playstation as far as I know, it takes more then a few thousand hardcore people to get those sort of sales.

Yes but if what you say is true, and the hardcore GT gamers abandon the GT series, then PD will lose out in the long run, because when it comes to racing games, most casual gamers buy Burnout and NFS.

None of this someone else paying for damage would work. I also feel that computers are not at a level where damage looks acceptable. I have played grid and examined how good it is and well it falls short. If you watch an impact in slow motion you could see metal bending before the cars touch each other.
Again, we are not ready for damage on modern equipment and i feel that a player should just have to drive right.

And how do you make a player drive right? You can't unless
their is a severe enough penalty that makes them think about driving right.

Last edited:

I submit it's better to have SOME sort of simulation than NOTHING at all. Should PD wait to build GT5 until we all can afford a supercomputer that can process all the complex physics calculations implicated in barrelling a car down Laguna Seca? No; just make do with what we have right now, even if it's not perfect.

Hopefully with damage comes much improved contact. Cars should spin out, crash etc. when contact is had. Even without full blown damage, contact effects should be improved. Sure in GT5P it is fairly easy to bump someone off the track or be bumped off the track. Also burnouts, donuts etc. should be easliy achieved. Would rather see rubber being laid on the track, sand and gravel thrown on the track, weather, some mechanical damage ( brake fade, engine overheat, blown engine, tranny failure, drive train failure ), and night/day along with weather effects before full blown damage.

Having a driving SIM without damage is like having a First Person Shooter without being able to kill your enemy.

No, killing is the point of the game (FPS), damage is the point of Burnout not GT5P.

More missing damage in GT5P is like a FPS without blood or gore.

No, killing is the point of the game (FPS), damage is the point of Burnout not GT5P.

having said that, how much longer can PD keep using the moniker "the real driving simulator" if it doesn't include damage physics. Every other driving sim on the market has damage physics. I think that GT5 must have damage, not just cosmetic but mechanical also - with the option of turning it off for the people who don't want it.

I think that GT5 must have damage, not just cosmetic but mechanical also - with the option of turning it off for the people who don't want it.

Well KY has pretty much promised it soon, but I really hope it is not just cosmetic. So for now we will just have to wait and see. (maybe until Tokyo game show)

I'm looking forward to damage physics as long as it is realistically done. I've seen too many damage systems (most recently the one in Grid), in which accidents which would leave the vehicle a ruin of bent and twisted metal wrapped around a bleeding chunk of likely-dead flesh instead do something ridiculous like crack a windshield or smash up a fender but then leave the car pretty much drivable.

If they are going to do it, I definitely hope they do it correctly, otherwise I'll probably just find it annoying when someone slams into a guardrail at 150 and ends up with a nasty scratch and nothing else...

Latest Posts

Back