How important is damage in GT5?

Do you want damage in GT5?

• Total voters
In Forza, if your repairs cost more than your winnings, then you simply don't make any money from that race, you won't lose anything. So yes the system they have takes care of all situations. If the "punter" wins some money cause his damage cost less and he won more, then that's life, it's not fair. That's why you find rooms with damage set to "off" if you don't want to risk getting "punted" and having to "pay" for it.

Well I can't speak from experience since I haven't played Prologue, but if there is the addition of private rooms and custom damage levels, then there's no need to worry about that sort of stuff.
I disagree. Even though private rooms will get rid of the punting problem, I still think that the damage should be realistic. Slight bumps and taps still result in some cosmetic damage, and it would be nice to see that in the game.
buickgnx88
If you're so worried about paying for damage caused by idiots then don't have damage on!

I don't think it'll be a choice in online mode. But I agree 100% for offline mode - if you don't want to pay, just turn it off 👍.

I don't think it'll be a choice in online mode. But I agree 100% for offline mode - if you don't want to pay, just turn it off 👍.

Yeah, for sure. But I think they should do it like Forza, where there's a 15% bonus for racing with damage set to "simulation". That way there's incentive to drive with damage on, assuming you're skilled enough to avoid wrecks. Of course, if you're crashing on every turn, then repair costs would outweigh the bonus, so it'd be better to turn damage off.

In fact, I love the fact that Forza lets you adjust various options affecting difficulty. That way skilled players can potentially get quite a tasty bonus. With all difficulty options set to hardest, you can double your prize winnings.

Last edited:
I think damage will be killer! I for one would like to be able to roll my vehicle when I lose it at 190 instead of just doing spins. How sick would it be to come skidding across the finish line upside down with all your wheels torn off and your engine block trailing behind in pieces?

Damage is unbelievably important to me... especially cuz i wanna see what happens to the dude in the ferrari california when he crashes head on into in a wall @ 190

I think damage will be killer! I for one would like to be able to roll my vehicle when I lose it at 190 instead of just doing spins. How sick would it be to come skidding across the finish line upside down with all your wheels torn off and your engine block trailing behind in pieces?
:lol:

Thanks for the laugh.👍

It's a Sim, and therefore damage is important. Like when a guy spins in front of you, you lock up all four, and bald spot 'em. That's 2 grand for a new set of tires.

Even the smallest little bit counts.

Kazunori has said in many interviews with various people that he doesn't consider the content of other driving sims, such as Forza and PGR. So assuming that PD are going to take a leaf out of either of those games in relation to damage physics/penaltys is highly unlikely.

Kazunori has said in many interviews with various people that he doesn't consider the content of other driving sims, such as Forza and PGR.

I think that's obvious (in a really, really bad way) when you look at the implementation of online racing in GT5P. Damage in GT5 will be quite interesting.

I think that's obvious (in a really, really bad way) when you look at the implementation of online racing in GT5P. Damage in GT5 will be quite interesting.

This is why I can't get to grips with the comments that are made in relation to the competition that is put forward as regards to Forza and PGR. Seeing as Kazunori doesn't give a monkeys about either of those games, then it will be interesting to see how PD go about it. Kazunori is a very unique person when it comes to driving sims, and i'm sure he will find he's own unique way of making GT5 the best there is.

Last edited:
Off course I'd like damage in GT5, makes for a more realistic game. But do I find it important?... Hmmm... Naah, for me personally putting in a mid-race save-game option for the long races is way more important than the damage-thing.

I remember PD saying that damage would be purely cosmetic a few months ago. Have they ever officially said that it is going to affect the cars? I personally hope it does, but I wouldn't get your hopes up yet. :scared:

I remember PD saying that damage would be purely cosmetic a few months ago. Have they ever officially said that it is going to affect the cars? I personally hope it does, but I wouldn't get your hopes up yet. :scared:

Do have any evidence of that, because i've looked around the web and can't find anything from Kazunori stating that.

I can't either. I have looked and looked but they are pretty tight lipped about what is going to be in the GT5 and when it will be released. Top Secret.

Wasn't there damage to steering in GT2 if i remember correctly? I cannot remember when it stopped.

Anyway, they'll do it right. Perfectly fine with me if the cosmetic damage is severely toned down. But if i put my car into the wall hard while coming out of a corner in daytona going 155 i want it to be reflected.

Proper use of damage would improve racing very much. You would have to skillfully work your way through a race, rather than barging through cars, barreling over grass to cut the S curve on Apricot Hill... not that i ever did that...

I am excited to see what GT5 brings us. I trust PD with their development. Have they failed us yet? Not me.

Damage is a must, otherwise all these kids who now play GT5 thing that it's same as real life and start playing bumper cars.. on the road.

I don't believe damage is the most important thing for the GT series. Getting the physics down along with accurate vehicle details are the two things I believe are the most important.

I voted no in the poll because I don't really see what benefit damage would bring to the game. Online many racers would just play smash em crash em with other racers who aren't looking to do that. Forza has that problem with it which is why I don't bother playing online any more with it. I would rather PD just focus on other things opposed to them trying to model damage panels for every vehicle.

I don't believe damage is the most important thing for the GT series. Getting the physics down along with accurate vehicle details are the two things I believe are the most important.

I voted no in the poll because I don't really see what benefit damage would bring to the game. Online many racers would just play smash em crash em with other racers who aren't looking to do that. Forza has that problem with it which is why I don't bother playing online any more with it. I would rather PD just focus on other things opposed to them trying to model damage panels for every vehicle.

While I agree with the first statement (physics>collision modelling), car damage is still very important. Yes, the idiots will always try to ruin the game, but making the game less realistic is not gonna solve the problem - you'll still be losing races to the people riding your car out of the corner. I say "Make the game as real as possible, everything else will be fixed over time...

Turning the game even more difficult also means that it will be more like a driving simulator. The damage system definitely is going to be a problem for those who don't think twice before a fast corner. I've changed my driving style since last week and driving those cars as it was my car. So wouldn't touch another car in a race, I would keep space between the cars...

People who drive GT5 as a racing game will not like the damage system, because it will turn the game into a simulator which the most important thing is the driving feeling and not the 1st position.

Yes we will have problems with the dummies if they not create any sort of skill point which will report how many times the driver has being hit at the front and rear, side-wall... Again... the Skill points should not be based in podium positions but in driving skills.

From that moment GT5 will be a proper race simulator with great drivers around and really good races going on.

We don't know much yet about how damage will be implemented in GT5, not more than that it will look great (according to this old interview with a PD developer at least):
...We're not ready to implement damage until they can be shown in a truly authentic way (which is extremely hard work if you think about it)."
Damage in Gran Turismo would make the franchise unstoppable, don't you think? He responds: "No I mean, really, really, really hard work... to the extent of creating another game, almost. From our standards, what other games are doing is "simplified damage". You know how [anal] we are when making our games... we would want to simulate every single dent differently.
source: http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/04/20/gran-turismo-5-confirmed-to-have-no-damage-to-vehicles/

If damage is truly going to look so great, than please give it to me. Although it will not make much sense without a replay option for online races (where most damage will occur anyway). :)

Next to how real damage looks, the way a damaged car behaves is of course even more important, e.g. if my car gets hit hard on the rear-left I expect to still be able to limp back to the pits (if I can keep the car on the track at all), but I don't expect any damage to the engine. But knowing PD's strive for perfection, I'm not really worried about that. I'm am worried though that PD will do too good a job with their damage model and that thus many races will be over on the first lap. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to that...:ill:

While I agree with the first statement (physics>collision modelling), car damage is still very important. Yes, the idiots will always try to ruin the game, but making the game less realistic is not gonna solve the problem - you'll still be losing races to the people riding your car out of the corner. I say "Make the game as real as possible, everything else will be fixed over time...

I still don't think damage would really add anything to the game. And we all know how notoriously slow PD is in everything they do, imagine how much longer GT5 would be delayed because of it. I'm frankly getting sick of the wait time in between games.

Hopefully PD wont advertise it rediculously like GRID has done. On the back of the case it states something like Spectale online damage and crashes.
Anyway it stated something along those lines, I dont quite remember. But I assume that the wrong crowd could be drawn in with comments like that.

what they should do is implementing a system that learns the limit of your skills. if you drive clean ( stay on track, don't crash, no clipping corners etc ), your points would keep growing, and this could be used in online races to pit you against equally skilled drivers. Crashing, clipping corners etc etc would drop your points and pit you against equally bad drivers until you learn and get better. and paying for repairs for your car AND the CARS you hit would be a good motivator for clean racing too. :mischievous:

Very good suggestion Leonidae. Enthusia had a system similar to that.
I agree, every clean lap calculated at the end of the race should vend points that add to your overall rank or class.

I still don't think damage would really add anything to the game.

Oh, it'll completely change the game...the mentality you have while driving a car game without damage is completely different from playing a car game with collision modeling....you don't have the same bravado entering corners with the pack of cars ahead of you, because you're trying to bring it in in one piece. It's more realistic than taking a gun-ho approach to racing because you know there's no penalty for riding the wall or hitting other cars.

Back