UKGTP10 - 'The Dixie' - Interest/Date/Location

• Thread starter Venari
  • 143 comments

UKGTP10, The Dixie - State your availability!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My preference for a date would be the 31st October. So that we can leave Roo's on the Friday. Otherwise it's probably a 4am start on Saturday for me, if that is even possible. As Trains won't run at that time (like any other time tbf).

Through extraordinary abuse of powers, I've added a poll to this thread. Please clickeh to confirm your availability/disavailability.

If you'd like to state a preference please do so via the medium of posting.

Can't come on any of those days, simply because i don't have the money :)

Call me stupid, but...

There aren't any bank holiday's in October, are there?

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/bankholidays.html

I've done another search (because that is a school website) and nothing has come up for that 27th October. I'm confused. Though if it is, that is a good date for it. Longer weekends always work best for LANs because of travelling on the last day. Also doesn't fall on a GP weekend.

Actually, that's a good question. I thought I read "Bank Holiday" on the calendar I used, but it could have been from Burkina Faso, Bhutan or even Scotland for all I know.

Assume it's the 25th/26th until further clarification. Also, since my house isn't going anywhere, there's no reason why anyone who can get any further time off can't continue the LAN on subsequent days - we could try out the events which never made it (and there always are many).

Warm, if little else.

So, can we count on your attendance? We're only a county away from you this time...

I'm unlikely to attend, however I will be following your progress with great interest, as always.
Hey, I can hardly run my underground betting shop for the race winners while I'm there, can I?

Actually, I'll be at Uni in Chester by this point, but it's fun to pretend.

You've got a car, you can go anywhere! You'd only be travelling half the distance I have to :P

Apparently it's a Spank Holiday in Ireland. Not sure why that'd turn up on a UK calendar, but there you go.

On the upside, the clocks do go back on the Sunday (26th) morning, giving us an hour extra kip or an hour extra racing. Or both if you're HoldenHSVGTSR.

I thought about this earlier. Obviously someone else was thinking of this earlier that I was. :)

On the upside, the clocks do go back on the Sunday (26th) morning, giving us an hour extra kip or an hour extra racing. Or both if you're HoldenHSVGTSR.

Considering i was out the night before and hadnt went to bed i need that! :lol:

Ill take the extra hour's sleep.....

Right, well, this looks like a 25/26 October weekend to me, as the least number of can't dos.

Guess I better start up the testing again. :)

I know it confuses things and may lead to some being locked in an endless loop of Dixie-based infinity, but we have our own Group here as well now - I've invited everyone I can think of who has attended a UKGTP event to now, but I may have missed some (not including the one who has declined the invitation). There are so many :D

There's a pub about three minutes walk away (30 seconds drive!) which has rooms and as October is off peak, then there's a chance I may be able to get a deal. I need to look into it though.

There will be limited space at the house, however the majority of it is already spoken for. There's also an major airport about 20 miles away with pickup by myself or the lovely Famine being possible.
Quick update by me:

The pub I spoke of has four rooms. One is £30 (per night) and has two single beds in it. Another is £40 and has a double and a single bed. The next is £40 and has a double in it. The final one is £50 and has a double and two singles in it. As of last weekend, all of the rooms were unbooked. They're all ensuite.

We're doing a Dixie trial here this weekend and unfortunately the sleeping spaces are all spoken for so others needing accommodation will have to contact me via PM for the pub details to allow you to book a room. Bear in mind you're not paying venue costs this time so booking the hotel down the road shouldn't be too much of an issue for you. There's cheapness to be had if you share with a friend or two and you're helping a local business which provides cracking food (£4.95 for a 2 course Sunday lunch!). A small donation towards tea/coffee/food/gas/electricity will be very much appreciated, although if you bring your own, you won't need to donate!

At present there are four men in the garage, playing car based games and generally having fun. I have a collection of cars outside my house, including Freddie who leaked on the driveway overnight ;)

The date is now confirmed as 25th and 26th of October.
Famine will be home on Monday 27th, I will be kicking around somewhere (he's retired and I work from home!) and Mini-Cubicle will be away on business until the Tuesday. This means that if there is enough interest, racing can continue on the Monday too. And it's not even a bank holiday!
As an added bonus, there should be a special guest present :) (No guarantee).

A small donation towards tea/coffee/food/gas/electricity will be very much appreciated, although if you bring your own, you won't need to donate!

Sadly we won't be making this one as there's no chance I can snag a place on a training class in Manchester around those dates, however, in the spirit of helping out another LAN event, I've taken the above quote literally and put some electricity in the post for you! :P

I think the Monday would depend on what Roo is doing. Given I'd rather not walk back...

Hmmm...would take me about 3 hours to get to this, and the 500 isn't good on long journeys.

I will consider it though, it's something to do and I'm pretty sure I can get the days off! So if anyone else needs to book a hotel room, let me know, might aswell save some money!

Last edited:
in the spirit of helping out another LAN event, I've taken the above quote literally and put some electricity in the post for you! :P
I was wondering how long it would take someone to pick up on that :lol:

Well, this is the official Dixie thread and it seems pointless starting another...

Please, feel free to add your name to this thread if you're coming along. At the moment the definite attendees are:

Famine
daan
Venari
Roo
And i'll be around somewhere. Probably.

I'll try to go but if it's in Yorkshire then I seriously doubt I'll be able to go. :(

I'll try to go but if it's in Yorkshire then I seriously doubt I'll be able to go. :(

It's definitely at my house. We had a dry run here this weekend and... well, it works, put it that way :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back