Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments

Wow, great videos kikie!!! :) Especially the first one, which describes the different control settings.

There are Steering, Acceleration, Braking, Clutch Sensitivity and Dead Zone; Speed Steering Sensitivity; Camera Y Axis, etc. Seems pretty much the same as the gMotor based games (rFactor, GTR2, GT Legends...).

The Driving Model comprises two game assists (Steering and Braking Assists) and three real life (ABS, TC, Stability Control).
The different settings of these assists compose four Driving Models:
- Casual (all assists turned On and High);
- Amateur;
- Normal;
- Pro (all assists turned off).

Also, there is clutch support in the game.

As I understand these videos are from the latest Games Aktuell magazine, which reviews the game. Although the game is played with the casual settings, the videos are in HD (720p) and worth the looking.

And finally, youtube video with some decent driving around Spa (seems the driving assists are turned off):

:)

Last edited:
Sorry to...
zshattereddreams_fCf4M_21392.jpg

but http://www.virtualr.net/need-for-speed-shift-pc-games-is-not-very-impressed/

This is sad :(

That's just one persons opinion. Besides he said it was still fun and that's the most important thing.

Another question is whether taking all assists off automatically puts you into professional mode. i thought the physics were supposed to be different in the different modes as well (e.g. less grip in pro)

I'd take that article with a pinch of salt, it was the impresion of "German PC Games Hardware magazine" and they basicly said "Combine that with the great sounds and Shift does indeed feel very real". but " even the powerful cars handled tame, making it very hard to get them to spin out" One persons impresion and the person was looking at the hardware (triple screen, playseat) not really the game. In regards to the powerful cars spinning out.....which cars? and were they loaded up with spoilers on the back end? Details about the Hardware exceed those about the game, but you'd expect that if your reading a German PC Games Hardware magazine.

Looking at the video however, your reminded that "a picture speaks a thousand words" and this 4 miunets and 41 seconds of video speaks volumes about how the game looks to behave. Wheel movement looked right, there was understeer, oversteer track surface feature moving the car about. Control looked good with the driver hitting the apex on most turns and running cleanly down the edge of the track. I did notice as well as he shifted up and down "N" was displayed in the gear select which nods towards clutch suport. It was also nice to see the driver over steering into bends then using the FFB to get the corect angle on the wheel, this oversteering (on the wheel not the car) induced a certain amount of understeer.

Last edited:

Judging by this video only, the physics and realism at the LEAST look to be decent and promising 👍

Why can't we get this kind of sense of speed in GT5P??? This is one aspect of GT that has always made it so dull, unimmersing, and unrealistic. And wow...the road has bumps and imperfections in it! Take notes PD...as simple as they may be :rolleyes:

Judging by this video only, the physics and realism at the LEAST look to be decent and promising 👍

Why can't we get this kind of sense of speed in GT5P??? This is one aspect of GT that has always made it so dull, unimmersing, and unrealistic. And wow...the road has bumps and imperfections in it! Take notes PD...as simple as they may be :rolleyes:

If you want that speed feeling in GT you need to race from the bumper. NFS creates this feeling by fisheyeing the display. The center is less blurred than the edges. The view is also stretched slightly towards the edges of the screen. Its a neat effect, but not what I assume PD is going for.

Yeah, finally a decent lap to watch - no other cars mind you. I don't know whether to feel encouraged or not: the driver obviously knows the Spa track well & manages to keep the car firmly on the track for the most part. But is this a sign that the physics are good, or the physics are too simplified? I think it should be pretty hard to drive that well in the first couple of laps with an unfamiliar game & unfamiliar car. On the other hand he may not have been pushing it to hard.

The sense of speed is much greater than GT5P's cockpit view, but the same thing is true in FC: the cockpit view is VERY slow, while the hood view conveys a good sense of speed.

But is this a sign that the physics are good, or the physics are too simplified? I think it should be pretty hard to drive that well in the first couple of laps with an unfamiliar game & unfamiliar car. On the other hand he may not have been pushing it to hard.

That's what I was wondering. It almost appears that the offcamber downhill turn is a little too easy.

I don't know whether to feel encouraged or not: the driver obviously knows the Spa track well & manages to keep the car firmly on the track for the most part. But is this a sign that the physics are good, or the physics are too simplified? I think it should be pretty hard to drive that well in the first couple of laps with an unfamiliar game & unfamiliar car. On the other hand he may not have been pushing it to hard.

As I understand from the italian forum, where the video is posted, the guy is a very good sim racer, and also races for real. Don't know in what series, though.

As I understand from the italian forum, where the video is posted, the guy is a very good sim racer, and also races for real. Don't know in what series, though.

IMO you could be M. Schumacher & still struggle to drive well in a racing sim at first. However, if this guy had already done a few laps in SHIFT it would be perfectly reasonable for him to drive that consistently - so let's hope that was the situation!

NFS has a bit of an identity crisis, and they really need to stay where it got popular: arcade type racer.

I thought the whole point was that NFS was trying to branch out into 2 or 3 different types of racing games.

Already posted and discussed at the top of the page, read who actual wrote it, A german PC hardware magazine....plus they also say it "feels very real" in the same article.👍

Someone posted on VirtualR that the same mag- PC Games, gave iRacing a mere 68% in their review (it's safe to say that the review is an assessment of the whole game, not just the physics.).

IMO you could be M. Schumacher & still struggle to drive well in a racing sim at first. However, if this guy had already done a few laps in SHIFT it would be perfectly reasonable for him to drive that consistently - so let's hope that was the situation!

I thought the whole point was that NFS was trying to branch out into 2 or 3 different types of racing games.

I would refer to Alex's review on Eutechnyx forum:

But these 6 Laps with the wheel somehow felt very familiar !?!? I´m still wondering which one of my actual Race-Games (SCC-Beta, FC or GT5P) comes so close to the steering of Shift? I needed absolutely no time to get accustomed to Shift. That was strange because when i changed from GT5P to FC last year in July it was very difficult for me. Cars seemed to be heavier and softer and i really needed to adapt to that.

But yesterday shift felt like "coming home" from the first second i played with the wheel.

Last edited:
The guy actualy dose overcook it on the second lap and drops 2 wheels the wrong side of the rumble strip.....He dose the same on the first lap at the chicane afte the long straight. He's good but not schuey good LOL I would also expect he'd been at it for a while and judgeing from his style of cornering he's very good! as for the right hander down the hill he takes it in second which is right.
Hard to judge entirely what is fully going on without sound, but watching the gear display gives you a rough idea of his corner speeds. He is however putting alot of reaction inputs into the wheel which leads you to the conclusion that he's pushing hard and really having to work hard at keeping the car on the track, the fact he's making it look so smooth on the track is not the case if you watch his wheel inputs LOL

Being anal I watched the vid again and he actualy goes off the track 4 times not counting running wide on rumble strips and has to corect oversteer 5 times and understeers a total of 9 times. there are also 1 ocasion where he gets out of shape braking and has to corect and also 1 ocasion of him getting out of shape accelerating over a bump on the track, again having to corect. It's by no means a perfect 2 laps but the guy is a very good driver and was ontop of problems with very fast reactions.What would be interesting is to see the same 2 laps again but with a full field of cars for him to get through!

Oh and finaly the car is a Maserati MC12 which might account for the speeds down the straights and in the corners!

Last edited:
NFS has a bit of an identity crisis, and they really need to stay where it got popular: arcade type racer.

Actually NFS initially had it's roots as a very good racer when it was initially called Road&Track Presents: The Need for Speed when it launched on the Panasonic 3DO when EA Canada collaborated with R&D to produce the game which got very good reviews for it's realism at that time.

However there is a different company developing this release which was already mentioned a ton of times in this thread but I do understand where you're coming from.

I would refer to Alex's review on Eutechnyx forum:

But these 6 Laps with the wheel somehow felt very familiar !?!? I´m still wondering which one of my actual Race-Games (SCC-Beta, FC or GT5P) comes so close to the steering of Shift? I needed absolutely no time to get accustomed to Shift. That was strange because when i changed from GT5P to FC last year in July it was very difficult for me. Cars seemed to be heavier and softer and i really needed to adapt to that.

But yesterday shift felt like "coming home" from the first second i played with the wheel.

Whether it was FC/SCC or GT5P, if SHIFT feels like either of those it would be a good thing. 👍 Odd that Alex wouldn't be able to tell which of the two it was more like, as they are pretty different from each other...

And finally, youtube video with some decent driving around Spa (seems the driving assists are turned off):

:)

Why is there lens flare if it's supposed to simulate what you would see? That multiple-ringed flare would only show up if it's being filmed. Even if they were to simulate the glare from a helmet, the most you'd see is one refracted image.

Either way, it won't stop me from buying the game. I have high hopes for NFS' return to driving rather than the goofy junk they had before. I have all the previous worthy games (from NFS1 to Porsche Unleashed) and they're still fun today.

I know, He seems hes got some skill behind the wheel. Good to show that hes using the MC12 GT1, could it be called the best car in the game maybe?

Why is there lens flare if it's supposed to simulate what you would see? That multiple-ringed flare would only show up if it's being filmed. Even if they were to simulate the glare from a helmet, the most you'd see is one refracted image.

Either way, it won't stop me from buying the game. I have high hopes for NFS' return to driving rather than the goofy junk they had before. I have all the previous worthy games (from NFS1 to Porsche Unleashed) and they're still fun today.

Obviously the driver's POV is only ON if you're using the cockpit view. But yes, you still get lens flare even using the cockpit view (thus the driver's POV). I guess someone at SMS or EA thinks that lens flare adds element of intrigue (but most probably just eye candy).

Back