Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
I have watched the Video from Kikie and after hearing the interview with Jesse Abney i am under the impression that they opimized the game "entirely" for gamepad's (which certainly isnt a bad thing, but i like my wheel more).

After hearing from Shift and the Team behind, i thought this would be a serious attempt to a Sim'ish-Racer and i hope they dont **** this up, because i was looking forward to this one.

Does someone know when the demo comes out for PS3?

Interesting videos. The AI is very slow creating lots of bumps, but who knows what setting it's on? The collision physics look promising. The drivers are certainly struggling with oversteer & understeer, which would seem to be a good sign....

Interesting videos. The AI is very slow creating lots of bumps, but who knows what setting it's on? The collision physics look promising. The drivers are certainly struggling with oversteer & understeer, which would seem to be a good sign....

It looks like it would be the easy mode as there is a racing line and no damage. Although I could be wrong.

As for the game, I'm taking a wait and see approach. However this game is in the running for the game I buy when I buy my PS3 Slim.(which will probably be next month)

You know what, since time began whenever you see a "new" game being driven on a video it's invairiabley by either a monkey of a feret.....what's so hard? just if I could see 3 corners strung together and taken something like they should be would realy help me see how the game behaves LOL what you allways get is motion sickeness as the car lurches around the corner with the wheel going from one lock to the other then a game of pinball with any other unfortunate vehicle on the track and any barrier in sight! You'd think devs would sit down, do a few laps and post it up themselves....rant over, move along, nothing to see here.

I have watched the Video from Kikie and after hearing the interview with Jesse Abney i am under the impression that they opimized the game "entirely" for gamepad's (which certainly isnt a bad thing, but i like my wheel more).

After hearing from Shift and the Team behind, i thought this would be a serious attempt to a Sim'ish-Racer and i hope they dont **** this up, because i was looking forward to this one.

Does someone know when the demo comes out for PS3?

The Pro mode in SHIFT is optimiized to be used with FFB wheel:

How well will the steering wheels supported, and how is the feeling with them? Will it be like in GTR2 and GTL?
IB: On PC, we are supporting as many custom controller configurations as possible, with custom control mappings, axis settings, and FFB settings all adjustable to suit your taste. I'm biased of course, but I think a panel of scientists would determine that it is a fact that SHIFT plays incredibly well with a FFB wheel.

what about force feedback?
IB: There is full force feedback support for all the standard wheels on console, and as you'd expect on PC with plenty of options to setup the wheel for your preferred feel.

If you look further up (or previous page), I posted a video where steering wheel (G25) is being used with the game (at GC09).

Exactly my thoughts, not sure what to make of the driving yet. Have a look at the 4 videos posted at gamersyde (link below) taken from the GamesCom floor and, especially on low speeds, input seems very, if not to direct and really want to try a demo before I buy the game.

Videos were driven with all aids of, but they did not know in what mode. Tracks are Brands, Spa, Street track in harbor location and a track located in a desert (no clue what those last two are called ;) )

GamesCom: 4 NFS Shift videos (gamesyde.com)

omg im sure the track in the desert is the same track thats featured in the BMI(BEST MOTORING) series american togue. in the american togue edition they battle out many cars on that track im sure.....i recognised the bends

got the name willowsprings International Speedway course is called horse thief mile

HTM.jpg

omg im sure the track in the desert is the same track thats featured in the BMI(BEST MOTORING) series american togue. in the american togue edition they battle out many cars on that track im sure.....i recognised the bend

Willow Springs is one of the track on SHIFT's track list:

* Alpental
* Autopolis International Racing Course
* Ambush Canyon
* Brands Hatch
* Dakota
* Ebisu Circuit
* Glendale
* Hazyview
* Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
* London
* Miytomi
* Nordschleife
* Road America
* Rustle Creek
* Silverstone
* Circuit de Spa Francorchamps
* Tokyo
* Willow Springs

Italicised are real world tracks

Last edited:
The creation of a driver profile sounds interesting, if they were able to nail this feature it would be a nice tool to gauge what type of racer you're about to race against and could be used as filter if you just wanted to search for rooms with precise drivers over aggressive racers.

Well, FWIW, Kikie, given what we have to work with, I think it's a good comparison. Both are similar sized images showing left hand drive cockpit view. Both of them show remarkably complex lighting and shading effects from in-game shots. Look at the reflection of the sun coming off the door panel on the Mitsubishi. Look at the light reflecting off the steering wheel on the Subaru. I think graphically, the team behind NFS:Shift must have used Prologue as a model as the similarities are uncanny.

Granted, I wish these were both larger images but...

Hello everyone! Been away for some time, but a few years ago (when GT4 arrived) i was very busy here in this forum.

After i heard about jjaisli posting parts of my "NfS-Shift"-Review here in this forum i decided to take a look in here again.

I would love to change my nickname here from "alexsteffen" to "Higgiracer" like i did in the official Eutechnyx Forum!

Any idea of who i have to contact for that ?

Greetings

Higgiracer (The Racer formerly known as "alexsteffen") :-)

Hello everyone! Been away for some time, but a few years ago (when GT4 arrived) i was very busy here in this forum.

After i heard about jjaisli posting parts of my "NfS-Shift"-Review here in this forum i decided to take a look in here again.

I would love to change my nickname here from "alexsteffen" to "Higgiracer" like i did in the official Eutechnyx Forum!

Any idea of who i have to contact for that ?

Greetings

Get premium. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/payments.php

Last edited:

Greetings

Lol, you joined the exact same day as I/me.

Biggles you're just evil. :mischievous: Higgiracer shows up after a long hiatus and the first thing you think of is drawing him into the Lion's den like a piece of raw meat. LOL

Actually, kidding aside, and speaking as a Ferrari Challenge fan, I think it was one of the better threads running. The problem was, people should have been forced to read (and then reread) your original 10 reasons before responding. If you could graph all the posts in that thread, you could see how it drifted repeatedly as people wanted to simply compare the games in their own way and often responded, in a highly charged and either emotional or off-hand manner rather than debating your specific points.

EDIT: Thanks for the update Kikie. Much better. Although, one is an R8 and the other is a TT. Ultimately, I think I'd still have to give the nod to Prologue for ultimate realism. But it's very close and at that point it becomes merely academic and the car's physics and handling and balance become the larger and more important issues. And in about 3 weeks, I'll be able to see for myself. I'm very excited.

Last edited:
But it's very close and at that point it becomes merely academic and the car's physics and handling and balance become the larger and more important issues.

Yeah, both games clearly look "good enough".

Perhaps GT5 could use a little more "ambience", but it's possible that SHIFT will have too much. It's going to be interesting to see exactly what market SHIFT is aimed at.

Supercar Challenge has just sliped it's release date again, to the 4th.....two weeks before NFS Shift! And 1 day after the "expected" release of the demo. Biggest slip up in gaming history? I'm prety sure it is.

As a beta tester, I will still purchase SCC. Actually, I have it on order now. What pains me a bit is that I have to order it from the UK because it doesn't even look like SCC is going to be sold in North America. And if it does, it won't be for months down the road.

What pains much more is that I'm not even excited about SCC and I should be. I think it has the potential to be a great title--all the good things about Ferrari Challenge with many improvements. But at this point, outside of dedicated sim racing sites such as GTPlanet, I doubt many people have even heard of it. System 3 has really shot themselves in the foot with this one. With Ferrari Challenge, Mark Cale probably stepped over the line in promotion, making many promises they where never able to deliver. With Supercar Challenge they've gone too far in the other direction. It's barely being promoted at all. It's like they're not even trying. Part of what made me such a big a fan of Ferrari Challenge was the close knit community that developed around it's on-line model. Many of the same racers still see each other regularly and have a great camaraderie inside the lobbies. Without this, Ferrari Challenge would be less appealing.

And I predict that SCC will sell less than half as many copies as FC and part of what made FC so special will never develop with SCC. Let's hope I'm wrong.

New cockpit view comparison.

NFS Shift vs GT5 prologue[/CENTER]

I had to go with GT5p to find almost the same dashboard.

GT5prologue

13160023custom.jpg

NFS Shift

cockpitview2.jpg

Those are different Audi's, aren't they? Looks like one's an R8 and the other is an A4 saloon.

Anyways what is Shift supposed to be, a sim or an arcade game?

And I predict that SCC will sell less than half as many copies as FC and part of what made FC so special will never develop with SCC. Let's hope I'm wrong.
I hope not. Supercar Challenge is a great evolution of the series...it handles well, looks good and feels fantastic. I hope word-of-mouth pushes more copies.​

A8 and the new TT.

As for word of mouth V's the Global Hype and PR of NFS......

I'm also on the beta for SCC and love it but releasing 2 weeks before NFS is going to lose it alot of customers, which equates to less people online on SCC, FC online was a sparse afair at the best of times, SCC looked to be getting a good slice of the driving pie in regards fanbase but I think they just lost it with this latest delay. Not through people getting anoyed it's sliped but just because NFS will be Hyped to death at the release time of SCC. This subject is being discused in the FC thread so I'll leave that as my last comment in this section. Apart from the fact I'll be getting NFS if the demo proves it to be sim based, I love SCC but I just won't have the time to give as NFS looks to be far more involveing.

Again, the cockpit view comparison has nothing to do with the cars itself.
It's all about the graphics. Compare the dashboard, the track, the environment, the cars in front etc... => graphicswise!

;)

Back