Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
How are they expecting to simulate speed in this game? Cause it is Need for Speed after all. And are any single seaters in this game? I would like to see Indycars in a game for once. Offroaders would do me good too. And if possible, F1 would be actually suitable for me in this game. And maybe even a couple of F3's.
No, no, no, no and no ;)

Full car list

And looking at the tuning screens again, would have been nice if the guy would have used screens from cars were all the tuning options would have been available :(

Thanks. Those look like legit console shots.

Would be great if there's an option to turn off the GRID DIRT style bloom permanently.

That video is still pretty chaotic but it's one of the better ones I've seen. Looking good.

125afa.jpg

127isi.jpg

128xyx.jpg

141wjw.jpg

Courtesy of NFS Unlimited ;)

Last edited:
The better this game looks in the video previews, the more I worry that in reality it's going to be a big disappointment. :nervous:

Got... to... keep... my... expectations... under.... control... :ill:

Last edited:
The better this game looks in the video previews, the more I worry that in reality it's going to a big disappointment. :nervous:

Got... to... keep... my... expectations... under.... control... :ill:
Maybe I just have to much fait in SMS or I have not dealt with EA racing games over the last xx years :) ,

but think game will do just fine 👍

@Montag THx 👍 , that MC12 cockpit shot looks :cool:

The better this game looks in the video previews, the more I worry that in reality it's going to be a big disappointment.

Same here. Everything is jut.. too fast. Too fast. It should be slower. So much slower.

I still have hopes that Professional mode hasn't been showed yet.

Profesional Mode.. It is our only hope.

Cool Pics... very good level of detail in the interiors rivaling GT.

3835621561_0a15088b8d_o.jpg

This looks like one of those "this is not going to go well" moments! :sly:

Wow, still no pictures of muscle cars? Except that one pic with the partially obscured Mustang in the background.:irked:

Yeah, the AI drivers need some attention :crazy:

Here is yesterdays EA presentation, Zonda R around Spa:GC 09: Developer Walkthrough (Cam) HD (gametrailers)

Thanks for the video link. One step forward, one step back I guess. 👍👎 I love the in car modeling and Spa looks beautifully rendered. Some nice touches in the background like the amusement rides while coming around Stavelot. :D I also notice that this is an older version of Spa before the re profiling of the Bus Stop Chicane--probably from about 6-7 years ago.

Judging by the rapid and reflexive steering wheel inputs, the driver in this video was obviously using a controller so it's hard to judge. And I thought some of the car movement, particularly noticeable when riding over the curbs coming through the far side of Pouhon, makes the car's steering look a little central axis and 'pivotal'. Despite what we may have heard. But these things are hard to judge until the demo comes out and we can try it first hand.

I'm still excited. But I'm also a glutton for punishment. :)

Same here. Everything is jut.. too fast. Too fast. It should be slower. So much slower.

I think it's just an illusion from the sharp cockpit movements.

The unique thing in this sim engine is the mix of the cockpit and head movement simulation, IMO. This gives much better speed and weight transfer sensation at any moment.

The other engines (ISI gMotor, GT5P...) simulate only the cockpit movement, which if realistic, is not enough to compensate the lack of g-force sensation in the body.
Of course this is just a theory. When they release the demo, will see if it's true in practice. :)

And, the screenshots and videos look really amazing! :)

Considering the ABS(?) and Traction control(?) lights kept flashing, I think this is probably the best video yet and I think it highlights the kind of wheel to wheel action we may be able to expect. This driver at least looked like he knew what he was doing, although it would still be nice to see some close racing without having to barge through other cars like a bull in a china shop.

:lol: I keep saying I have to stop watching these videos. But between these and the GT5 damage compilations I think it's all I've done the entire morning so far. :embarrassed:

Between these last two videos and the confirmation of private lobbies, voice chat and damage in GT5, I'm just thrilled.

I am also waiting in eager anticipation for NFS Shift. As was previously stated, it appears as though the driver in the video was using a controller based on the sawing back and forth motion shown. This yawing back and forth "pendulum effect" as I call it has always been present in NFS products and is one of my main gripes. I was so hoping that they might have fixed this with this new venture. Until we get a demo or see footage of a wheel user, I guess we won't know for sure.

Codemasters efforts also produce this effect and also my main gripe. I do so hope they change their physics engine for the F1 game they're working on. If PD can get it right, and also F1CE, I don't see why it's so hard for others ? :scared:

I think it's just an illusion from the sharp cockpit movements.

The unique thing in this sim engine is the mix of the cockpit and head movement simulation, IMO. This gives much better speed and weight transfer sensation at any moment.

The other engines (ISI gMotor, GT5P...) simulate only the cockpit movement, which if realistic, is not enough to compensate the lack of g-force sensation in the body.
Of course this is just a theory. When they release the demo, will see if it's true in practice. :)

And, the screenshots and videos look really amazing! :)

Unlike GT and Forza, SHIFT videos and screenshots seemed to be directly from the game (ie. not bullshots or photomode). You'll see the occasional jaggies although I'm pretty sure for most part they would use the PC version because undoubtedly it will be the best visually.
Now that Porsche is a confirmed no show on GT5 and the Nissan R35 GTR (road and production version) is a no go on FM3, SHIFT's version of Nordschelife is the only virtual battle ground for the two bitter rivals. Less than a month to go.

Unlike GT and Forza, SHIFT videos and screenshots seemed to be directly from the game (ie. not bullshots or photomode).

These days, the publishers use more and more misleading tactics to convince the consumers to buy their games.
In some cases the effort is almost laughable - e.g. Simbin's so called "artwork" shots of the upcoming "Race On" (the PC sim racers will support the game for the simulation aspect, not for the looks).

In the FM3 case, 99% of the officially published screenshots are from the photomode of the game. Seems they are using it to hide the not so "impressive" graphical engine, seen in the various FM3 in-game videos on the net. From their advertising campaign one can assume that the most important thing in this game is screen capturing, not driving. :)

It's admirable that SMS and EA have decided to show NFS Shift with real in-game screenshots.
All game videos of Shift, I've seen so far, look as impressive as the published screenshots. 👍

Less than a month to go.

Cannot wait for the demo! :)

I don't think this game will sell very well. The little kids who just want to crash into everyone and use nitro won't buy it, because it;s a good racing game now.

If it does turn out to be a decent sim, I hope it does sell well, so that EA is encouraged to continue to produce more "serious" racing games.

I like the fact that SHIFT has a good selection of cars & tracks for racing & it was produced in a reasonable amount of time. I'm a bit appalled by the sheer megalomaniacal scale of GT5 - road racing, Nascar, rally, 1000 cars! I see the GT fanboys are ecstatic about this, but I worry that PD is over-reaching.

I'm a bit appalled by the sheer megalomaniacal scale of GT5 - road racing, Nascar, rally, 1000 cars! I see the GT fanboys are ecstatic about this, but I worry that PD is over-reaching.

The more, the merrier.. :P But I also hope Shift turns out well... and that intern EA will produce more games like it... Maybe eventually drop the NFS tag as well if it does end up selling BIG... 👍

The more, the merrier.

I'm not sure that's quite true. There's a price to pay for having so many cars in the game. I'm sure the long wait for GT5 has had a lot to do with the sheer scale of the content (specifically having to model the interior & exterior of hundreds of cars), & I'm concerned that some important aspects of the game (like AI, weather & damage) may not have had enough time devoted to them because of all the time spent on the cars. Because SHIFT has a much smaller (but very good) roster of cars, they have been able to put the game out in far less time. Of course, we'll only know for sure how the other features of each game stack up, when we get the chance to play both games...

I must say, Shift looks like a dark horse. I'm not completely taken by it, though. Some of the videos suggest a fish-eye lens that's too severe for my liking (a cheap way to make the game seem 'fast'). But as I intend to get the PC version I can probably alter that, I hope.
Still it could be very surprising and it has a decent car list. Well, it's supposed to have the Zonda F and Zonda R so I'm happy!!

I have to say I didn't like the video during EA's conference, hopefully that will just be due to assists. I personally think it looks too fast, racing just doesn't look like that. Its like Burnout.Also all the vids make it look like a pivot system even though I am sure its not.

I would luv to start another 10 Reasons thread for Shift :) - if it was justified by the quality of the game. But for Shift to stand up against the full GT5 it would have to be a really good game (or GT5 would need to be delayed another 6 - 12 months! :ill:)

At this point, I have more interest in Shift than SCC, since SCC really looks to be a warmed-over FC, where Shift is definitely offering something new (not to mention the Nordschliefe :P). But it's still really hard to judge what kind of driving experience Shift will provide...

Back