Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
I want people to stop uploading so many damn pictures on one page, it's hugely frustrating to try and read this read while they're loading. One or 2 pictures maybe, but keep it at a bare minimum please.
Hit ESC.

The Laguna Seca video is interesting although the commentary needs correction. When the guy mentioned the track record which is 1:08 seconds he forgot the fact that it was done by open wheel CART/F1 racing car. I don't know if they keep records of the times by GT styled racers but the one for street legal car is around 1:35.075 (Devon GTX). I believe Dodge Viper has the record for production car with almost identical timing.

Looks like we're in for a few promo videos presentating the race tracks in the game ;)

...plus the part with the GT3 RSR of the Montorp vid

the real track is called mantorp, and in that vid you don't see mantorp, I dont really recognize that track, I think its fictional.

I did not mean the circuit featured is Mantorp. And yes it's a fictional track but a video was posted earlier with guys testing the game at the Mantorp circuit. This part is extracted from the previous vid.

Last edited:
@Myke, I think you can only pick the ultimate track record as track record (how useless it might be for the game ;) ), otherwise which one are you going to use (LMP/GT/production/etc.)

The Laguna video now is also available in HD and I saw they even changed the wrong info about the Corkscrew (91 meter drop thingie) from the previous one. Someone at SMS/EA is paying attention :embarrassed:

Track Guide: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca- HD
[YOUTUBEHD]7u9_vkzrZSk&fmt=22[/YOUTUBEHD]

@Myke, I think you can only pick the ultimate track record as track record (how useless it might be for the game ;) ), otherwise which one are you going to use (LMP/GT/production/etc.)

The Laguna video now is also available in HD and I saw they even changed the wrong info about the Corkscrew (91 meter drop thingie) from the previous one. Someone at SMS/EA is paying attention :embarrassed:

I gotcha but still he shouldn't have said that in the game if you pick the right car you have the chance of breaking the record. Unless of course they're planning for F1 style car in future DLC.

In the video I also see that cars will flip over (@ 1:53, a Nissan Z). And the track is the most detailed Laguna Seca I've seen in a game.

Does anybody else feel that there are way too many fast cuts on these videos? It's giving me a headache and I feel that I can't enjoy watching them.

thats how all the preview vids are... they don't show any skill, just crashing and speeding.

Speeding!?! In a RACING GAME!!!!?!?!!?!!!111one

Somebody think of the Children! :D

I know what you mean, but there have been glimpses of intense racing, its just the editing that makes it a little "ADHD".

thats how all the preview vids are... they don't show any skill, just crashing and speeding.

:indiff: It's true. And I find it rather aggravating. NFS:Shift is not the first title to do this. Look at promo vids for practically any racing game out there and they all tend to follow this same format--huge speed differences between the cars, impossible closing speeds, unrealistic levels of grip, crazy crashes, hard banging. :yuck: I just want 30 seconds of good, close realistic racing, preferably by somebody who actually KNOWS the game, KNOWS the track, KNOWS when to brake and when to turn and when to accelerate. But instead we're treated to a Hollywood style action flick promo that spins you around and probably does more to turn off real sim racers than anything. I wonder if the marketing people who are responsible for editing these videos actually know this or if we're really so far in the minority that it doesn't matter and this kind of action is really indeed what sells the game.

Unless of course our hopes are in vain and this is what NFS Shift is REALLY about. :guilty: I hope not.

Please, bring on the demo. :)

That's need for speed shift for ya. A REAL SIM yay!!... (all the real NFS fans look gloomy)... er...where everybody CRASH AND FLIP OVER FROM OUTRAGEOUS SPEEDING (all the NFS fans brighten up and smile again)
Speeding!?! In a RACING GAME!!!!?!?!!?!!!111one

Somebody think of the Children! :D
Ha ha :D

It's true. And I find it rather aggravating. NFS:Shift is not the first title to do this. Look at promo vids for practically any racing game out there and they all tend to follow this same format--huge speed differences between the cars, impossible closing speeds, unrealistic levels of grip, crazy crashes, hard banging. I just want 30 seconds of good, close realistic racing, preferably by somebody who actually KNOWS the game, KNOWS the track, KNOWS when to brake and when to turn and when to accelerate. But instead we're treated to a Hollywood style action flick promo that spins you around and probably does more to turn off real sim racers than anything. I wonder if the marketing people who are responsible for editing these videos actually know this or if we're really so far in the minority that it doesn't matter and this kind of action is really indeed what sells the game.

Exactly my thoughts. The promo videos always show drivers banging their way around like a bull in a china shop. And the racing line is nearly alway on. Isn't there anyone they can get who actually knows how to drive?! :indiff:

I wonder if the marketing people who are responsible for editing these videos actually know this or if we're really so far in the minority that it doesn't matter and this kind of action is really indeed what sells the game.
Yes, we are that far in the minority. The general public's desire to obtain the skill required to pilot a vehicle in a proper sim is akin to Bill Maher's comment on Guitar Hero "where everyone wants to be a rockstar, but no one wants to learn the fukking chords."

That's need for speed shift for ya. A REAL SIM yay!!... (all the real NFS fans look gloomy)... er...where everybody CRASH AND FLIP OVER FROM OUTRAGEOUS SPEEDING (all the NFS fans brighten up and smile again)
Ha ha :D

so? crashes are cool, I like to see a crash happen in a real life race, cars flip over in real life. cars don't flip over in some games, like gran turismo. oh how "realistic"!

Exactly my thoughts. The promo videos always show drivers banging their way around like a bull in a china shop. And the racing line is nearly alway on. Isn't there anyone they can get who actually knows how to drive?! :indiff:

I would say this video is pretty good with minimal contact and dust/smoke is the best yet. Another highlight is the Motec display.

[YOUTUBEHD]<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ns46ecIJb7o&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ns46ecIJb7o&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEHD]

Last edited:
I would say this video is pretty good with minimal contact and dust/smoke is the best yet. Another highlight is the Motec display.

The visuals are stunning and in that respect it looks like a real contender to GT5. But it still seems completely chaotic--everything is moving twice as fast as it should be. And it makes it look ridiculous--as if it's in fast forward.

But, like many here, I'm trying to stay optimistic and hope this turns out to be a real gem.

BTW, there's been so many posts in this thread, I can't even remember. Does anybody know how the on-line will be set up? Is there an option for private lobbies? I just remember the rating system and being matched with players who are "like minded". :lol:

The visuals are stunning and in that respect it looks like a real contender to GT5. But it still seems completely chaotic--everything is moving twice as fast as it should be. And it makes it look ridiculous--as if it's in fast forward.

But, like many here, I'm trying to stay optimistic and hope this turns out to be a real gem.

BTW, there's been so many posts in this thread, I can't even remember. Does anybody know how the on-line will be set up? Is there an option for private lobbies? I just remember the rating system and being matched with players who are "like minded". :lol:

Racing suppose to be chaotic. I used to race Mountain Bike where each start usually has over 80 riders and at the start of the race all of them are going after the holeshot. It was both sacry and thrilling. But I digress.

I think part of the chaos is the fact that the cockpit isn't as static as Prologue (or FM3 recent videos). The movement maybe a bit more than I''m used to even from PC racing sim like GTR2. Personally, I find it refreshing and it seems to address the problem I have with a lot of cockpit view(s) that most of them aren't very dynamic. As I mentioned above, the speed perception in a race is usually different than if you were out for a Sunday drive and since SHFT is all about the driver's experience, you pretty much have to buy into the concept to enjoy the game.

The only thing I've heard about is the sytem matching according to your ability and experience. As to private room, here's an answer to question from SMS Ian Bell:

I'm interested in whether or not you'll be able to set your own race distance parameters, I find the 3-6 lap races unsatisfactory. I'd really like to be racing for at least 30 minutes per race and more if possible.

IB: How about 20 laps of the Green Hell against a full grid of your best mates? I think you'll be sufficiently sweaty and sore at the end of that run.

I think that pretty much confirm private lobbies. No?

The only thing I've heard about is the sytem matching according to your ability and experience. As to private room, here's an answer to question from SMS Ian Bell:

I'm interested in whether or not you'll be able to set your own race distance parameters, I find the 3-6 lap races unsatisfactory. I'd really like to be racing for at least 30 minutes per race and more if possible.

IB: How about 20 laps of the Green Hell against a full grid of your best mates? I think you'll be sufficiently sweaty and sore at the end of that run.

I think that pretty much confirm private lobbies. No?

I'm not sure. That's the only quote I've been able to find as well and it leads me to believe private lobbies exist but it isn't a confirmation. Let's face it, if you watch the clock and sync you can 'race your buddies' in Prologue as well. ;) But that's not exactly what I'm hoping for.

You have a point about the movement in the cockpit increasing the sense of speed but I still say things are moving too quickly to be realistic in that video. And if you put four wheels on the grass it shouldn't be that easy to get back on the track. But I digress too... :)

Yes that video is a little better, but I wasn't referring to SHIFT in particular. For some reason, pretty much ALL racing game promo videos seem to feature a clueless driver banging into stuff (with the racing line on).

I don't agree that RL racing is that chaotic (it may be different in a 80-person mountainbike start! ;)). IRL the closing speeds aren't that fast because the cars are generally better matched (with the exception of multi-class racing), & the drivers cannot risk that kind of wild contact for their own health & that of their cars.

IMO all the most fun online racing involves driving bumper-to-bumper with a well matched opponent, with slight variations in the braking, racing line creating passing opportunities. NOT tearing past opponents at 30 or 40 mph faster than they're going! I find it worrying that a game developer would think that that is the way to promote their game. :indiff:

I'm not sure. That's the only quote I've been able to find as well and it leads me to believe private lobbies exist but it isn't a confirmation. Let's face it, if you watch the clock and sync you can 'race your buddies' in Prologue as well. ;) But that's not exactly what I'm hoping for.

You have a point about the movement in the cockpit increasing the sense of speed but I still say things are moving too quickly to be realistic in that video. And if you put four wheels on the grass it shouldn't be that easy to get back on the track. But I digress too... :)

If you look back at the SHIFT full lap Nordschelife video, you'll see that the lap times is around 8:15 sec for Lamborghini Reventon and the lead car Mercedes SLR and that's in the arcade mode with the more forgiving and easier physics- the guy who was driving the Lamborghini was pretty bad but he was driving fast (very fast) in the easier straightaways and except for a few scrapes to the side of the track, he pretty much stayed on the track the entire lap. 8:15 for a the Reventon and SLR is pretty slow in comparison to RL.

With the harder physics and FFB steering wheel, the difficulty factor increases and I'm quite confident that when it comes to getting close to RL lap times, SHIFT will be better than console racers like FM2. However, if you use the recommended tires (for each cars) in Prologue, on RL track like Suzuka and Fuji, the lap times are comparable to RL track record for production cars.
BTW, GTR2 has one of the most accurate track lap times in all the racing sim. Here's few record times for GT class cars at Laguna Seca:

600hp ALMS GT1 Aston Martin DBR9 _ 1:21.012

480hp ALMS GT2 Ferrari F430 GT _ 1:23.611

500hp Grand-Am DP Crawford-Porsche _ 1:23.712

And here's GTR2's fastest laptimes at the same track: http://www.nogripracing.com/hotlaps/gtr2.php?do=times&track=59&car=0&class=0

Biggles,

The chaos I was refering to is not so much the external element but what goes through the racer's psyche. The only way to capture that in a game is to exaggerate the experience a bit. If you look at SHIFT, you can see that SMS (and EA) deliberately plays around with DOF, shifting colours etc. Still, I'm pretty sure as with any racing game, in the end the circumstances is very much up the the player(s). It would've been refreshing had EA decided to do things differently. I did comment on SMS site as to how bad EA is marketing the game to sim/racing enthusiasts but SMS is responsible mainly for the game's engine and it's too bad that no one at EA appreciates the effort enought to give it a better treatment.

First thing I'll do in the demo is turn off every aid there is, then do some laps in a time trial mode with a non-downforce FR car and dfp. I think that'll help me decide. End of story.

@ devs if your reading these forums: please use 900 degree steering animation for road cars.

Last edited:
The chaos I was refering to is not so much the external element but what goes through the racer's psyche. The only way to capture that in a game is to exaggerate the experience a bit. If you look at SHIFT, you can see that SMS (and EA) deliberately plays around with DOF, shifting colours etc

I agree. That's why I find GT a bit "clinical" in its approach. I find both FC & F1CE capture the "experience" better, even if their graphics aren't up to the same standard. I will certainly be impressed if SHIFT provides a similar experience, PLUS good, graphics, physics & FFB, & the Nordschleife. :)

I agree. That's why I find GT a bit "clinical" in its approach. I find both FC & F1CE capture the "experience" better, even if their graphics aren't up to the same standard. I will certainly be impressed if SHIFT provides a similar experience, PLUS good, graphics, physics & FFB, & the Nordschleife. :)

Yeah, what the game is going after is definitley the antithesis of almost all console sim- GT and FM incluided. Here's an answer given by SMS track designer Dave Flynn when asked the importance of realism when designin/creating a track:

IGN: Before we get into the details of what goes into bringing a real-life track to Need for Speed Shift, can you tell us how important it is for you to make them as realistic as possible? In other words, is realism for the tracks always the top priority?

Dave Flynn: Well yes, realism is our key starting point when creating any tracks. We work very hard to make our tracks as realistic as possible. However, being completely accurate can actually produce something that whilst realistic and true to life, is actually very sterile when played in-game.

Because of this we go beyond just recreating a real-life track in digital form, so we also take the time to add many additional details and tweak certain aspects of the location to create a more vibrant atmosphere there, and to really capture the feeling of racing at that track from the driver's point of view on a packed out energetic race-day.

And the rest of the interview:http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1013679p1.html

How the upgrading system works.
http://need-for-speed-shift.blogs.gamerzines.com/previews/upgrading-car-nfs-shift/

While the Stage I, II, & III seems pretty generic, the rest of it is lengthy to a degree. I'm positive though, that you'll be able to take more advantage of the Stages when you get into the actual tuning setups. :)
Thanks see the same guy posted a preview of the tuning options.

Need For Speed: Shift – Tuning Preview

All sound relative familiar, as in ISI gMotor ;) , option wise. 👍

How are they expecting to simulate speed in this game? Cause it is Need for Speed after all. And are any single seaters in this game? I would like to see Indycars in a game for once. Offroaders would do me good too. And if possible, F1 would be actually suitable for me in this game. And maybe even a couple of F3's.

Back