Joey's Cooper Thread; Suspension Thoughts

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 709 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Per Tire Rack I got 6 options in that size and wouldn't I run into the same problem of the balloon effect if I got to wide of tires? I mean I didn't listen to you guys twice before and screwed everything up twice....I'm not doing that a third time.

215 is fine, you shouldn't get the balloon effect, especially not with a summer tire with a profile as small as that. 225 and up is pushing it.

Although, since you did have somewhat decent tires on aftermarket wheels already, I'm not convinced the "swimmy" feeling you're getting is due to the tires. When I made my comment about it, I had forgotten that you were no longer on stock wheels.

I would also recommend checking out discount tire.

I met up with some guys for the Michigan v. Michigan State game this afternoon and one of them does work for Discount Tire so I was talking to him about the wiggle. He said there was a batch of Goodyear tires around the time I picked my tires up that was having some serious quality issues and were having tread separation or bubbling. He told me to bring the car in on Monday and he'd look at them, he said it would also explain the loss in pressure too. Even if that's not the case I'm not really sure how safe I feel riding around on potential dangerous tires.

As far as things other then the tires, I've had a few different independent shops and the dealer look at the suspension and they said everything looked good.

After reading all the reviews I could it looks like I'm going with the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60's, in 175/65/15 (to fit the OEM rims).

bs_blizzak_ws60_ci2_l.jpg

I could also go with a 185/60/15 to decrease the sidewall and increase the footprint, although I seem to remember someone telling me winter tires work the best when they are narrow. They look to be about $90 per tire plus mounting, TPMS, and whatever else they charge me for. I'm probably looking at between $450 and $500 for the tires.

Are those the best Blizzak's to get or doesn't it really matter?

New Exterior Goodies

Some of you might know that I recently bought a bunch of stuff for my car and proceeded to install it today. It took 3 hours because I ran into more problems then I probably should have. The damn British in Cowley went a head and used completely useless hardware, so it involved me stripping various screws trying to extract them. I never seen torx bits that don't fit the heads at all. It's like they purposely designed everything to be complicated. Although we were drinking beer and geniuely not really doing anything really fast....and we had to go to the hardware store a couple of times for various things. I know I'm rubbish.

Anyways. A new JCW grille was added, along with a grille badge holder and Hella Yellow Star yellow bulbs for the driving lights. I have black side markers coming to but there was a problem with the shipment and they'll be here Monday.

Before:
IMG_2307.jpg

During:
IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

After:
IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

Looks good! 👍 Pulling your car apart to make it look better always feels so good when you're done.

...although I seem to remember someone telling me winter tires work the best when they are narrow....Are those the best Blizzak's to get or doesn't it really matter?
In general narrow snow tires work better. Instead of having a wide footrpint and sitting on top the snow, they're designed to dig deep. I have WS60s and like I've said before, I was astonished by the difference they made. My friends and I would drive around hours at a time, for weeks, just laughing the whole time, amazed at what the tires would handle. They're so good it's hilarious, it really is.

But they do make a couple different kinds of Blizzaks. The WS60s are in a category called "Studless Ice and Snow", which is pretty much the hardcore category. There's a Studdable class, which the Firestone Winterforce tires are in (Unlike PB's bad experience I liked these tires very much on my dad's Ranger), and then there's Performance Winter, which are pretty much the cold weather equivalent of high performance all seasons. They sacrifice a bit of deep snow traction for better response and grip on cold, dry pavement. It's the class I might switch to eventually because our winters are just dry and cold 80 percent of the time. But originally I decided I could make the sacrifice, because I just did not want to get stuck. I tried, believe me.

But anyway, speaking of response, when I went from my stiff, very responsive summer tires I actually had a hard time making the car go straight with the snow tires. Yeah, you read that right. I was so confused at first, and seriously annoyed at how soft and squirmy the tires behaved in the late fall. You might notice it a bit too, but it's okay, it's normal. That just goes to show the great differences between certain types of tires. Winter tires work well with a relaxed, average driving style in the dry, and really come into their own in snow, anything from a light dusting to the really deep stuff. The only thing I found them lacking in was cold wet traction, like winter rains. Not that big a deal though. Give it a week or two and you'll be used to them. It's worth it. I love being able to go where ever, whenever, no matter how much snow is out there. Sometimes it's kind of a pain in the ass though, especially once you get where you're going and you find out nobody else got there--it's closed for the day! :dunce:

Also, while 215 summer tires would work I'd stick with 205s. Many summer tires typically are wider by design, even though the have the same "measurement". I saw that there are plenty of good options in that size.

And I like the lights. I need to change mine up. I'm fed up with my headlights at night. I'm considering a set of foglights because I can't see squat close to my car when my brights are on.

Last edited:
Am I the only one that likes the stock grille better? I mean, Joey, the one you put in doesn't look bad. Do they make the stock horizontal bars in a darker silver or black?

Mmmm tasteful 👍.
I'm jealous... Looks good Joey 👍
Looks good! 👍 Pulling your car apart to make it look better always feels so good when you're done.

Thanks guys! Pulling my car apart though was a royal pain though since all the hardware that was used was mismatched and had funny heads on it. I replaced pretty much all of it though so it shouldn't be an issue in the future.

Huge Snow Tire Post

Thanks Keef, that's what I was looking for.

In Michigan we aren't legally able to run studded snow tires or chains, at least in the part of Michigan where I'm from. The north is probably different though, but that's an odd and mysterious place full of elk, pasties, and public roads that allow people to drive snow machines on during the winter.

I've wondered about the performance winter tires but none come in the size that fits my stock rims so I'm just going to get the normal ones. It's going to be a gamble though as I don't really know how much snow we are going to get here this season. I'm waiting on the NOAA's predictions.

Also, while 215 summer tires would work I'd stick with 205s. Many summer tires typically are wider by design, even though the have the same "measurement". I saw that there are plenty of good options in that size.

I'm still up in the air if I want to go to a 205/55/16 from the 205/50/16 to get some more options. I'll worry about it in the spring.

And I like the lights. I need to change mine up. I'm fed up with my headlights at night. I'm considering a set of foglights because I can't see squat close to my car when my brights are on.

Thanks. If you are going to upgrade your head lamps, do not do an HID conversion as you'll actually see worse. Unless of course you can find HID projectors somewhere and do a retro fit. There are plenty of good performance bulbs from PIAA and Hella that should do the job. And avoid Silverstars light the plague.

As for fog lights, you probably could score a pair of mad tyte JDM yo! ones for a Civic off a forum I would think.

Am I the only one that likes the stock grille better? I mean, Joey, the one you put in doesn't look bad. Do they make the stock horizontal bars in a darker silver or black?

Yes, the MINI One comes with the grille in black.
mini-one-clubman_1.jpg

I don't know where you'd even get one in the US though, I know some people on North American Motoring have tried with no success. People also PlastiDip their grilles as well as put black vinyl on them.

The original grille was quite dirty by the looks of things. Do your Mini some care now and go wash it! :P

The original grille was quite dirty by the looks of things. Do your Mini some care now and go wash it! :P

It's Michigan in the fall, if I wash the car it will just be dirty the next day due to rain or ever....snow. *shutters*

Never stopped me from sticking to a strict wash once a week schedule schedule in the Seattle winter.

It helps prevent the car from getting too crazily dirty and for a few days it'll stand out from all the rest because nobody else can be bothered to wash their car during the 8 rainy months.

I never wash the car during the winter, all I ever do is take it to a quarter car wash and spray off the salt. If it wasn't going to rain tomorrow I'd probably wash the car today since it's so nice out.

Like the new grille Joey 👍 I've preferred the JCW grilles for the MINIs ever since they started doing them, it's a great way of making the front look less goofy.

Wasn't sure how the JCW grill would look on a gold Mini with no bonnet scoop, but it actually really suits it 👍
It set's off the stripes and other black highlights well.

Thanks guys! I should be getting the other black side marker lens today and barring the weather is nice enough I'll take some better pictures.

New Exterior Goodies Update 1.01

Minor update here, after a warehouse issue I received my missing black side marker lens today in the mail. It should have been yesterday but all the government employees were celebrating a man who got lost, ran into the Caribbean and discovered a continent that had already been discovered by the Norse about 500 years earlier.

They cleaned up the side of the car decently well, although I still need to get rid of those goofy side lens on the fender trim though. Probably will be the next thing I will do.

Once again, please excuse the dirty car. I was going to wash it today but it was to cold to stand outside for 20 minutes wearing only a hoodie. Maybe tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Once I do wash it though I'm going to take some good pictures with the Rebel XS.

Before:
IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

After:
IMG_2344-1.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

Last edited:
DKX
Lookin good with the new stuff Joey!

Thanks!

I'm not really sure where to go from here now though, I do need winter tires so I guess that'll be the next purchase. Probably wait till around Thanksgiving for that though.

It's a pity you can't do anything about the US-market side reflectors as they rather spoil it now you have smoked repeaters...

It's a pity you can't do anything about the US-market side reflectors as they rather spoil it now you have smoked repeaters...

Ah, but I can and I will. Outmotoring sells a tint kit for them that smokes them out as well.

LMX_ref_md.jpg

Nice. I suspected that some company must have been doing something like that but wasn't sure.

Looks great as always Joey. Love the grill, that little flag looks very retro.👍
Car looks like it needs a good clean though!

Nice. I suspected that some company must have been doing something like that but wasn't sure.

At $20, I've gone ahead an ordered them. I should have them by the weekend. I guess I just needed some prodding to order them.

Looks great as always Joey. Love the grill, that little flag looks very retro.👍
Car looks like it needs a good clean though!

Thanks! I washed the car the other day, it really did need it. I need to break out the plastic polish to and attack the black trim. It gets so stained from the rain water.

What are the regulations for those amber reflectors? My VW has amber sidemarker lights in the bumper, and I know they sell bumpers that don't have the spot for them. And I've seen those cars running around.

Your new lights do help the look of the car. Looks good! 👍

What are the regulations for those amber reflectors? My VW has amber sidemarker lights in the bumper, and I know they sell bumpers that don't have the spot for them. And I've seen those cars running around.

Your new lights do help the look of the car. Looks good! 👍

Thanks!

You have to have the reflectors on the side as far as I know, although I got rid of them with the Blazer and was fine. I mean if the person is too stupid not to see the giant metal thing as small 6" reflector strip isn't going to do much.

New Exterior Goodies Update 1.02

Another minor update, I got my side reflector tint in the mail today and went ahead and threw it on. It helps out but I'm still not satisfied with it. I'm sure it will grow on me in a couple of days though and I'll be good with it. It does make those reflectors less obnoxious, but still allows them to be legal by letting light reflect back. This means they aren't totally blacked out.

Before
IMG_2474-1.jpg

IMG_2479.jpg

After
IMG_2476-1.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

The picture do not do a very good job of showing it because I needed to use the flash since I was in my garage. Hopefully the weather will break in the next couple of days so I can go take some nice autumn photos with the dSLR.

===

Oh and I promise I washed my car a couple days ago :lol:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back