RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

I used your R34 Settings as a base to help me with my R32 and man does it handle like a dream now. I have it set for under 300hp races and i dont think anything can touch it that weighs over 1000kg heh.

Edit: Oh yah i tried the Civic type R and your right, if it was not for the spoiler... WHAT A SLEEPER!!! hah. I didn't expect that thing to be so fast even tho it does have quite a bit of HP its still a civic. It was within a couple seconds of my other 400hp cars on SSR5 which i did not see coming. Not really a FWD guy but this little car makes me think twice.

One more question,
I know this is broad and will be different depending on the car but is there an average power threshold when slicks are actually needed over sport tires?
Whoops, nearly missed your post there, sorry!

I'm glad the R34 settings work on your R32. :D

Maybe PD can give us a spoiler delete one day. Then it can be a proper sleeper. :sly: This is why I love GT5's physics, it's given the FWD's an edge they never had in GT4.

On average, it's 500-600bhp. It varies of course. Downforce can allow bigger power levels on sports tyres before it's too much.
Also, would you recommend getting the chassis reinforcement for the 787b?

I would. The only reason it's not listed is because I haven't bought the chassis reinforcement myself. 👍

That said, I'd like further information as to what settings you wound up using, as well as a bit of insight into your driving style, as I've consistently found that having stiff front springs coupled with soft rear springs and the reverse on anti-roll bars to quell understeer better in FWD vehicles on-throttle. Roj's '08 Civic setup is close but a bit conservative (I'd have gone about 50% stiffer on the front springs with less anti-roll in the front and more in the rear) and I can see that it may have the understeer you speak of. My apologies for my actions earlier, I wasn't exactly in the world's greatest state of mind.

I appreciate you manning up to your prior attitude. I'll report my findings when I get home in a few days... Family obligations on the wife's side. :grumpy:

First off, I'm disregarding the little arguement with RJ just now so we can keep it civil. I own a Civic too! Hi! :) Anyway, I understand where you're coming from. On paper, the settings look understeery and pretty much backwards. But in GT5, they work. This tune works for me and quite a few other people who've tried it. I can only guess that our driving styles differ quite alot when it comes to FWD cars. There's no typos although I will go through the settings again just to make double sure.

I tune based on feeling rather than laptimes. I'm not a record breaking driver so tuning time attack cars would be pointless for me, as I'd have no chance to test the car properly. Most of my tunes are just intended to be faster than the original without making them crazy and out of control.

I don't think any of my settings make sense as real life settings, but they make sense within GT5's world, which is where these tunes are driven. I realise there's a huge driving style difference when you treat the game realistically vs treating the game as a game, hence why alot of our tunes may feel understeery, because we treat the game as a game.

I'll admit that this is the first GT game I own (I played mostly iRacing and a few other PC racing sims). At first I thought that GT's tuning settings are vastly different than real life settings. After playing with various cars and comparing them to real life cars on the track, I've come to realize that GT5's tuning settings do very much in fact reflect real life tuning settings when you drive real cars on an actual track (road driving doesn't count). The problem is that the numbers don't really translate directly to real life numbers, ie spring rate 10.5 in GT5 does not equal spring rate 10.5 in real life. However, the relative numbers are the same, ie stiffer front springs, stiffer front dampers, higher front ride height, and stiffer front anti-roll all promote understeer in GT5 as they do in real life. You guys are more familiar with previous GT titles than I am, but based on the various tuning guides I've come across on this forum and others, the relative relationship between front and rear affects understeer/oversteer just as they do in real life as they are in GT5. The one exception I've noticed is that sometimes if you set really extreme tunings in GT5 they somehow magically work well when they shouldn't in real life. Maybe that's what you are finding in your Civic setup.

We don't mind if you guys change our settings. If you find a different value suits you better, go ahead. We're just two people running a tuning shop in our spare time, we don't have the driving styles of the millions of GT5 players, so naturally our settings wont work for everyone. 👍

I think you've just hit the nail on this one. I think you guys are used to catering to a crowd that isn't really familiar with proper racing techniques, for example you set up tunings that would work for people who tend to brake after corner-entry instead of before. It's a good starting point especially for the most popular crowd on here who aren't familiar with tuning or racing in general. Either case good luck to the both of you.

Wütend Deutsch Review:

It’s a beautiful day in Suzuka, Mie Prefecture in Japan...the small, quiet industrial town is awash with it’s inhabitants going about the average hustle and bustle of every day life. In the heart of this small town lies a race track bearing it’s name. Suzuka Circuit.

As you’d come to expect on a race track, there will be racing on this day. The track is lined with some of the best Japan has to offer. Mine’s has brought their BNR34 Skyline GTR, Amuse makes an appearance with it’s flagship GT1 S2000 sporting something most Honda’s never see...a turbo. Of course it wouldn’t be a race day without Nismo on the grid, the 380RS Super Leggera seems right at home. Even the venerable Polyphony Digital has graced this track with it’s presence, presenting 2 entries in the forms of the Gran Turismo 350Z RS and the Gran Turismo Skyline GTR (2001.)

However...in the middle of the pack sits something not quite right. These are all fit and trim street cars tuned to absolute perfection by the best shops Japan and the tuning world has ever known. But what is it? It’s a large, portly family sedan...bearing a German badge...in Japan? It’s a BMW M5, tuned by RKM Motorsports...better known as “Wütend Deutsch.” However...this is no normal M5. This is a 650+hp snarling beast of a car. It’s large, it’s heavy (relatively), and it’s pissed. Ever since it’s inception the M5 has been referred to as a “wolf in sheep’s clothing”, well this car exemplifies that title as no other. This car truely is the wolf, waiting to dine on the blood and flesh of the Japanese sheep surrounding it as the clock winds down to the green lights.

Suzuka%20Circuit.jpg

This gentlemen...this is not your dad’s M5. This M5 is not at home in the executive parking spaces at the headquarters of financial powerhouses around the world. This M5 is at home on the track.

The lights go green...the flag drops. We are in for 7 laps of a tuner battle. The M5 sits in the middle of the pack in 7th place. Apparently the driver missed the qualifying session. As the flag drops and the 5.0 liter V10 at the heart of this beast snarls to life. The SMG transmission quickly flips through the gears, accelerating this monster forward, gobbling up 4 of the flock before the first corner. Third place is a comfortable spot for any racer in any car, it’s a good place to visit, but it’s not home. We want first and will accept nothing less.

The M5 patiently sits and waits. Remember, it’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing...can’t give away it’s identity just yet. We sit comfortably in third place for the first 4 laps. The finely tuned suspension is doing a great job as I coast into 200R and hustle my way to the Spoon corner. Then it’s onto the crossover straight, hammer down, the rear wing working hard and doing a fine job of keeping those back tires on the pavement to maintain an optimum contact patch. No lifting here!

I grow weary of third place. It’s time to make my move. WOT and 5th gear through 130R and holding on to that momentum into turns 15 and 16. I slam on the brakes, they clamp down hard bringing this beast to almost a stand still as I dive inside of 15 to take second place.

Suzuka%20Circuit_1.jpg

My cover is now blown. Surely everyone here knows that this is no oridinary sedan. The sheep’s clothing has been torn away to reveal the charcoal colored wolf that was lurking beneath. In fitting fashion, the Amuse GT1 Turbo S2000 that currently occupies first place is white...like a sheep.

Suzuka%20Circuit_2.jpg

Both cars dart through the Casio triangle, and make their way onto the front straight heading into turn 1. Hammer down once again, SMG transmission burning through the gears and as fast as I can hit the paddle, this wolf has gobbled up the last of the flock. Three laps left and it’s smooth sailing from here. It’s great to be home, in first place, where this wolf belongs.

Now that there is some space between me and the rest of the field...it’s time to enjoy the car. The M5 is a great platform to start with, boasting 500 hp and a nimble suspension setup. RKM has taken that and amplified what makes the M5 great, and done away with what some might consider faults. You don’t need any traction control or ASM here, friends. The finely tuned suspension of the Wütend Deutsch handily keeps all four wheels planted firmly on the pavement. But a word of caution...this IS a wolf, after all. It will bite your hand if you try to slap it around. It doesn’t want to be controlled, it’s wants to be guided. Guide it right and it will reward you.

This is Wütend Deutsch. This is what AMG drivers have nightmares about.

Suzuka%20Circuit_3.jpg

Review: Corvette C6 Z06/R

So, the past few days have been spent trying to figure out the best way to tackle the A-Spec GT All-stars. I'm pretty short on money and really don't want to spend the cash on something that won't treat me with some gold medals, so I decided I was going to unlock the Minolta in the Extreme Series and go back to complete the GT All-Stars. Well, this sounds great, but my Lamborghini Murcy SV is certainly not going to see me through "Like the Wind" with all golds. I needed something different. I was definitely willing to spend some cash when I found out I could unlock the Minolta, but I had to make my decision a wise one.

I wandered through the front door of RKM Motorsports to find a very professional, clean, and BRILLIANT looking showroom stocked with cars that immediately had me salivating. For some reason I knew these two would get me where I needed to be. A quick browse through their various tunes and something caught my eye. "It's a bit on the insane side... Good luck." Well, I think I'll need a large dose of insanity to bring me the golds here, so let's give this a try.

I drove the Vette around Trial Mountain a bit completely stock, as I had not driven one and I just wanted to see the difference this tune would make while allowing the engine to break in. I definitely did not like this car at all. What did I just do?? Blew my hard-earned cash on a car that I will never step foot in again?

Enter RKM's tune. Back to Trial Mountain. Um. Wait. This is still the same car right? *chase camera* Yea. Okay it's still the Vette. WTF.

You guys really hit the nail on the head with this tune. I know some people have bashed the methods used in this tuning, but it's flawless. I was a bit skeptical about the rear being raised by 10 clicks as I thought for sure this would swing the back around way too hard through corners, but it didn't. I was a bit skeptical of the brake bias leaning more towards the rear than the front as I thought for sure this would make for a very squirrelly rear in hard braking, but it didn't. This car now handles amazingly for having nearly 900 horses.

Now, I will admit that I put some Soft R-Comp's on for the "Like The Wind" series, as I was having a really hard time making the turn right after the starting line on the Daytona track. Why were these not included in the tune? I feel like this gave SO much more to the car. Straightened me out in some of those white-knuckle braking scenario's and simply allowed me to tear up the competition where I was really having trouble with the Medium R-Comp's before.

Anyway, differences aside this tune is the BEEZ NEEZ. I've never been a huge Corvette fan (or Chevy for that matter) but I know this car will be one of my best maintained vehicles in my garage simply for the raw speed, versatility, and its frightening ability to destroy anything you put in front of it. Thanks guys!

I'll definitely be replicating a few more of your cars and making a few of my own now. I'll be sure to review them as I build them and hopefully try and get some pictures in here as well! As for future tunes I think you all are on a roll, but a Volvo (bias alert) would be pretty awesome! Let me know if I can send you guys anything to test out and tune or whatever and I'd be glad to have it back in my garage stamped with the RKM Motorsport's touch. Cheers 👍

Wütend Deutsch Review:
*snip*

Sir... I do believe that is the best review I've read in a very long time.

I thank you greatly.

Review: Corvette C6 Z06/R
*snip*

Dang, thanks to you too. Now if only we got more well-written reviews regardless of the result.

As for the tires used; I find softs to be overkill on almost everything I've driven; the grip available is ridiculously high.

Last edited:
As for the tires used; I find softs to be overkill on almost everything I've driven; the grip available is ridiculously high.

Overkill. Yes, probably. With the levels of frustration I've had today trying to get through some of these races without a hitch came the need for overkill and you're superb tune. Also, it could have been the fact that I'm using the DS3 with the "OG" X-Square config that maybe warranted the overkill as well. I can't remember who used the DS3 and who used the wheel for their tuning, but either way it helped out a lot in a time where I needed some tarmac massacre action.

Welp, I'm glad I found you guys and this will surely be my favorite tuning shop, so expect to see me around here quite a bit as I build up some of your cars and review them with hopefully the same polished look as above. That was a tough one to follow, but these tunes deserve every word written so far.

Mind if I ask a few questions?? Great. So, if I were to send you a car how long does it typically take for you to become satisfied with the tune and to have it back in my garage? Also, I understand that fact that it could become a lengthy process if you were to involve the "Why" behind every setting of the car, but allow me to propose an idea that I'm sure a lot will agree with me on. Now, I know there are general tuning guides out there, but I'm thinking if you make a dedicated thread to your thought process behind one tuning (preferably a killing machine like the Z06) it would help the rest of us out immensely. I am guilty of following some of these tunes rather blindly but would love some insight into the process. If you could do just one tune for a car that is built for max speed with the excellent touch of handling prowess you all seem to provoke out of every car with the process and reasoning behind your settings you could spark a whole new city of tuning shops. Yes, they will inevitably become competition, but that's what makes the world turn is it not? (Besides fat-bottomed girls).

I'm now taking names in the GT All-Stars Comp in my newly acquired Minolta thanks to you guys.

Last night after work I hop in my 905HP ZR1 and make a few pre tune laps and I was able to clock some 6.03.0-6.05.0 online in a free run. After installin the tune at first I could feel the difference but wasn't really able to take turns any faster. I wasn't exactly anymore confident in the car after the tune. I did like how it is a little more forgiving coming out of turns but that's really it.

I think tonight I'll def try and make more laps o. The ring with the car and maybe I'll find something that I can grab on to and say YES THIS TUNE WORK. I'll try to post pics and maybe a video tomorrow

To Rotary Junkie: wouldn't it be better to put racing soft tires on the Corvette Z06?

Yes, it would be "better". But even as it sits, it's complete overkill for basically everything it can enter.

Last night after work I hop in my 905HP ZR1 and make a few pre tune laps and I was able to clock some 6.03.0-6.05.0 online in a free run. After installin the tune at first I could feel the difference but wasn't really able to take turns any faster. I wasn't exactly anymore confident in the car after the tune. I did like how it is a little more forgiving coming out of turns but that's really it.

I think tonight I'll def try and make more laps o. The ring with the car and maybe I'll find something that I can grab on to and say YES THIS TUNE WORK. I'll try to post pics and maybe a video tomorrow

The tune isn't designed specifically for the ZR1; it may work, and work well, but the changes will be more noticeable on the Z06. Also of note is that the ZR1 is allowed higher levels of downforce than the Z06, which along with the extra power means camber and spring rates need to be re-evaluated for it to get the maximum benefit.

Thanks for the compliments guys! I try to put a couple more up by week`s end.

Very much looking forward to it.

Edit: Seems the traffic is taking its toll and has eaten my bandwith allowance for Photobucket. I'll try to remedy those that I can and sometime in the morning I'll get Roj to do the same.

@Asane - Why not do the Like The Wind Competition in the Extreme Series with the tuned Z06, which will unlock the Minolta racecar. You can then use the Minolta to completely obliterate the competition in the GT All-Stars comp. But if you have the 787B you shouldn't even need to touch the tuning and win by miles. Just my two cents, as I recently went through will all of this tonight.

Overkill. Yes, probably. With the levels of frustration I've had today trying to get through some of these races without a hitch came the need for overkill and you're superb tune. Also, it could have been the fact that I'm using the DS3 with the "OG" X-Square config that maybe warranted the overkill as well. I can't remember who used the DS3 and who used the wheel for their tuning, but either way it helped out a lot in a time where I needed some tarmac massacre action.

Welp, I'm glad I found you guys and this will surely be my favorite tuning shop, so expect to see me around here quite a bit as I build up some of your cars and review them with hopefully the same polished look as above. That was a tough one to follow, but these tunes deserve every word written so far.

Mind if I ask a few questions?? Great. So, if I were to send you a car how long does it typically take for you to become satisfied with the tune and to have it back in my garage? Also, I understand that fact that it could become a lengthy process if you were to involve the "Why" behind every setting of the car, but allow me to propose an idea that I'm sure a lot will agree with me on. Now, I know there are general tuning guides out there, but I'm thinking if you make a dedicated thread to your thought process behind one tuning (preferably a killing machine like the Z06) it would help the rest of us out immensely. I am guilty of following some of these tunes rather blindly but would love some insight into the process. If you could do just one tune for a car that is built for max speed with the excellent touch of handling prowess you all seem to provoke out of every car with the process and reasoning behind your settings you could spark a whole new city of tuning shops. Yes, they will inevitably become competition, but that's what makes the world turn is it not? (Besides fat-bottomed girls).

I'm now taking names in the GT All-Stars Comp in my newly acquired Minolta thanks to you guys.

Oops. Forgot to talk about this.

As far as your suggestion goes (going through what we do with a car top to bottom), I've been planning to do so for quite some time; it's something I attempted in the GT4 days but didn't get the wording how I wanted it (not to mention my methods then were not what they are now).

Competition doesn't worry me, it just makes me work harder to outdo them.

Lastly, Queen reference is awesome.

@Asane - Why not do the Like The Wind Competition in the Extreme Series with the tuned Z06, which will unlock the Minolta racecar. You can then use the Minolta to completely obliterate the competition in the GT All-Stars comp. But if you have the 787B you shouldn't even need to touch the tuning and win by miles. Just my two cents, as I recently went through will all of this tonight.

Do you win the Minolta from A-Spec or B-Spec?

Apologies about the images guys. Photobucket has a 10GB bandwidth cap which'll reset itself once a month. Since this thread is visited so much, that bandwidth got eaten up in no time at all. The photobucket account I used actually only has a handful of images, all for RKM, so it's really suprising to see the bandwidth being used up so fast.

A solution will be found and implemented as soon as possible. 👍

You guys should look into the Ferrari SP1 08. That thing has tremendous potential. You win the car somewhere in A-Spec. The aero alone is 195,000 though. Plus everything else.

The images have been fixed. Please let us know if there's any images we've missed or if they go down again. Thanks. 👍

You guys ever come across a car that just plain sucks and you end up scrapping it?

I bought a BMW M5 last night and I'm loving your tune. Just as pleased with it as I was with the RX7.

You guys ever come across a car that just plain sucks and you end up scrapping it?

I bought a BMW M5 last night and I'm loving your tune. Just as pleased with it as I was with the RX7.
The Integrale gave me trouble so I ended up shoving it aside and tuning something else. I will beat that Integrale one day though. :P
Your tunes are awesome... I am adding them to my site.. Hope you guys dont mind...

RKM Tunes

As long as you're giving us full credit for the settings and providing a link to this thread, I don't mind. 👍

Just a little heads up guys, I'm going on holiday on Sunday so I'm going to be posting 1 tune a day until I leave, hopefully those'll keep you all busy until I get back. Or you could drive RJ's cars. :P

Back