C-ZETA's car reviews - C-ZETA Awards 2012 - 21/12/12

• Thread starter C-ZETA
  • 754 comments
NASCAR​
NASCAR, one of the most popular sporting events in America, and the most popular racing event there at all. In this game, the 2010 cars make an appearance, and make the game much more different. The support could have been bigger, for sure, but it is there, and not many have been all that disappointed.

Superspeedway-Daytona-4.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_1-2.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_2-2.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_3-2.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_4-2.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_5-3.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_6.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_7.jpg

NASCAR racing is always a thrill on certain tracks. When the racing is as equal as can be it always proves to be much more fun that you would normally expect. Many people dislike the Superspeedways and how boring and round they are, but the truth is that when racing in cars as equal as these NASCARs is that the racing on them does tend to be pretty fast, furious and close. Even with GT5's AI they will put up a fight in such cars, and that's good, because close racing is a slight rarity at times in GT5.

Obviously there are some drawbacks to such close racing, chief among which is the AI's behaviour in such conditions, and also the reason why I cannot finish any higher than 12th in the Daytona Superspeedway race in the NASCAR series. They will always stick to one specific line, and you have to make sure you don't trip onto it, because if you do, you hit the AI, and if you do it too hard, you'll spin out into what will almost certainly be a cataclysmic accident. The AI isn't kind like that here.

The NASCARs themselves tend to be very odd to race. On a speedway they will obviously come down to good slipstreaming to win and will do pretty well on the fast speedway corners, but they are very bizarre on actual race tracks. An 850bhp car with 1565kg on board would normally make for the worst track experience known to man, but because downforce is such a factor in this game, and they have a good deal here, the cornering is actually not half bad with these. In real life though...they just tend to go wrong.

Superspeedway-Daytona_8.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_9.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_10.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_11.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_12.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_13.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_14.jpg

The sound of the NASCARs, when together, also tends to be pretty rip-roaring. It's up to 16 high-revving huge 850bhp+ V8's together, just breezing by and leaving behind 16 huge, grumbly, powerful sounds. Even a restrictor couldn't make these NASCARs sound worse together...and speaking of which, going without a limiter at Daytona is pretty awesome. Normally you'd not do much more than 200 - on this game you will hit 230 in a slipstream. And it doesn't do much...NASCAR, are you listening?!

Also, the price of the NASCARs is pretty well done (you should definitely have one for sure). For the actual speed they go at, 500,000 Cr. is not a lot. While the price is literally a whole 1 Cr. away from being able to be sold, for something that does actually work on infields the price is very good. Consider, if you will, it going against a Ford GT LM II Test Car, which costs 3.6 million as opposed to 1/2 a million. The NASCARs aren't really entirely 'bargains', but for the class they're in, they're cheap.

Again though, I will say, that the realism of these NASCARs is not entirely big. Obviously you can go in to the speedways with no restrictors, and the cornering is a lot better than what it really should be - though that is mainly down to the physics rather than just the performance - again, downforce tends to make a noticeable difference in ability. If you don't know what I mean, look at the time trials. The reason you always see the R390 GT1s? 80 rear downforce after a wing...and they already had 65 there to begin with.

Superspeedway-Daytona_14.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_15.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_16.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_17.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_19.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_20.jpg
Superspeedway-Daytona_21.jpg

Obviously many people will say that the NASCAR license was 'wasted' by only including 11 of the NASCARs, a special event and an A-Spec series. I've picked my words here pretty carefully to avoid the traditional GT...uh...ex-fans from coming in here and turning this into a 1-billion argument long 'GT is bad, Forza will own it' thread (I hate those with a passion). I'm happy with them just being in the game myself, and if there isn't enough (and there is for me), then Nascar 2011 is still on sale in the shops.

But anyway, NASCAR racing as a whole is a very good form. Many say it's just driving in a circle for x00 number of miles, but the truth is that much strategy is involved. Of course, in this game, it's not strategy but rather staying away from AI contact that wins you close races here, but either way it can still be fun when you actually have the AI very angrily breathing down your neck lap after lap. If you can find an online series for it (not a dirty one, they're just ridiculous), then maybe give it a try and see how it works.

And ooh, look, Carl Edwards has just come over the line to win this race. Meh, always preferred Jimmie Johnson...better than Denny Hamlin at least. I've also heard Kyle Busch is really hated too...meh, I'm not an expert, I haven't bought a pure NASCAR game since '08 anyway, so whatever. Toodles.

Superspeedway-Daytona_22-1.jpg

Pictures and writing by C-ZETA

Good review. Online with a bunch of organised racers any Oval racing is a great lot of fun. Also this game needs Daytona Night, Talladega, and Bristol

Try my IROC Series if ya want at Daytona in two weeks, link in sig - 75 laps in Camaro RM's... 40+ laps on tyres...

Good review. Online with a bunch of organised racers any Oval racing is a great lot of fun. Also this game needs Daytona Night, Talladega, and Bristol

Try my IROC Series if ya want at Daytona in two weeks, link in sig - 75 laps in Camaro RM's... 40+ laps on tyres...

Yeah, there are quite some notable ovals missing here. Talladega is an obvious one, Homestead-Miami should totally be the last race in the NASCAR Series :lol:

Oh, ooh no. I'd be mad to try racing online here. I'm far too slow for most series here! :crazy:

Yeah, there are quite some notable ovals missing here. Talladega is an obvious one, Homestead-Miami should totally be the last race in the NASCAR Series :lol:

Oh, ooh no. I'd be mad to try racing online here. I'm far too slow for most series here! :crazy:

That's why they invented the GT5 draft :lol:

Just to say, Kyle Busch in the NASCAR community is called Kryle Busch because of his immaturity. As example, I can put that when he wins, he's like "Guys, you're awesome, thanks blah blah". But when he lose he gets in a rage quit stage. It's quite funny, even though for 2010 and this year of 2011 he got very mature, let's hope he stays that way because he got a lot of talent. 👍 Oh, liked your review :D

Just a quick note to leave here for what I think of all of the individual touring cars...might upgrade this 'review' later.

Challenger: The only one I ever got to slide out of corners, surprisingly. Good handling otherwise, but the sound's kinda a bit old now.

CR-Z: Close to my absolute favourite, if only for its looks and its superb drive. Sound is still shameful though, but best drive of the lot here.

Roadster: The other contender for my favourite of the bunch. Very similar to the CR-Z, albeit better sounding, more powerful, lighter, faster, not quite as good looking and slightly worse to drive. The drive makes a lot of difference though...really can't tell whether I like the Roadster or CR-Z more.

RX-7: Had a slightly odd habit of understeering in faster, longer corners, but was OK elsewhere. Very screamy sound, decent bodykit.

Evo X: The only one to come on SM and the only one that can be taken offroad. Tyres are a disadvantage, but the handling was good, albeit not special.

R35: Quite understeery if I can say myself. Cool cockpit though borrowing the dial from the Super GT car. Also, no number change? And also, very similar to the N24 version - including sound, and partially bodykit to be honest.

R33: Better than the R35 for steering for sure. Also gets the old Super GT style dial, although it gets the awkward sound from other racing exhausts. Also only a little more understeery than the R34.

R32: Very understeery. No cockpit magic, no good sound, very odd chase cam angle. My least favourite.

R34: My favourite of the fast cars. Has close-to-top steering, which makes a huge difference, albeit no cockpit magic here either and an even worse sound. Plus the R33 still looks the best, but the sheer drive of this thing overpowers all of these.

Impreza: Understeery when I tested it, and also surprisingly not like the Evo X, surprising given what it really is. Sound is the classic Impreza racing exhaust though, which is sweeeeeeet.

Prius: Hilarity ensues. Wheel covers, still just the one gear, droning sound, and actually the fastest of the three mini TC's despite being the heaviest and also suffering from some understeer. Also, it's a Prius. But classic status is assured.

The best: CR-Z for driving, Roadster for the smaller things
The best (of the fastest): R34
Fastest (of the slowest): Prius
Worst handling: R32
Best handling: CR-Z, Roadster, R34
Best sound: Impreza
Funniest :lol:: Prius

By the way, Spa looks awesome, Eau Rouge can be taken too fast, Kart Space is difficult (in the karts), the karts are difficult (on Kart Space), and the X2011 is the same as the X2010. With a giant wing.

The new gears and paints are all awesome.

That concludes my DLC review. Thank you for reading, good night! :D

Last edited:
Most awkward car: Prius?

Also the DLC Evo X looked horrible for an... ya know, an Evo X.

Also, backtracked a bit and read the NASCAR review... Well done.

Last edited:
I'm just starting to make my way through practice runs on Spa with the DLC cars now.
I didn't care much for the Challenger, but the Roadster is amazing, even though I'll probably give it a few engine upgrades as it is a tad too underpowered for my taste. Great sound (too much of a rarity in this game), nice interior, really fun to drive (Sports Hard tires).

I would be interested in your thoughts on a review of the RUF 3400 or the RGT. I rate the 3400 as in the top 3 best handling cars in the game. Not the fastest, but best handling. The RGT is similarly so, but not quite as good as the 3400.

I would be interested in your thoughts on a review of the RUF 3400 or the RGT. I rate the 3400 as in the top 3 best handling cars in the game. Not the fastest, but best handling. The RGT is similarly so, but not quite as good as the 3400.

I have an RGT tune actually. Certainly still slippery but not killer any more. Spec II made it better actually :lol: On the subject of RUF, I need to drive my Yellow Bird again. :lol:

I have an RGT tune actually. Certainly still slippery but not killer any more. Spec II made it better actually :lol: On the subject of RUF, I need to drive my Yellow Bird again. :lol:

And on the subject of review threads, I need to kick start G.T.R again;

One more post till 5,000 C-ZETA! :D :cheers:

Good News! I, for the first time since September and for the first time in Spec II, be bringing out some reviews at last :D Problem is, there's probably gonna be only two this time, as the third that was planned had some technical difficulties on one side of the plan...so that'll be suspended until whenever.

As to what the reviews I'm releasing are in question...you'll just have to wait for now. :sly:

Last edited:
Mazda 787B Race Car '91 vs Peugeot 905 Race Car '92
Group C is very well represented in this game. The Sauber C9 is very fast, as is the XJR-9 and the R89C as well. The R92CP is hugely fast and the 88C-V is arguably the fastest non-Formula car around.

However, at the back of the class sit these two men - the Mazda 787B and Peugeot 905. Not as fast as their fellow Group C-ees, these two don't get as much mention (well, the 787B does being Premium, just others would recommend faster cars). However, these two cars were the last two to win Le Mans in the Group C era, and so I'll be pitting them up against each other to determine which is my favourite of not just the Group C era, but among LMPs as well. Let's do this...

NrburgringNordschleife_19.jpg
NrburgringNordschleife_10.jpg

So then...how to choose between these two. That's a tough one.

These two cars are the oddballs among the Group Cs, as they are the lightest of all of them, but for the most part the slowest. These two together have many differences, although in this state, these two have actually got identical power to weight ratios (787B with 880bhp/830kg, 905 with 792bhp/750kg). Both of these cars have more HP than kg, along with most other Group C racers in this game.

So then, let's begin with the 787B.

NrburgringNordschleife_18.jpg
NrburgringNordschleife_13.jpg

Right, what to say first about this 787B Stealth Model, which does come with more power than the stock model, is that it is rather terrifying. It is very hard to control, without TCS you need to get your throttle control absolutely pinpoint perfect if you wanna get this thing at its fastest. 880 screaming rotary horsepowers forcing just 830kg of car is not always gonna go well, particularly if you haven't mastered throttle control yet. It's even harder for me, having a DS3 and everything, and I still use the X button which is so hard to get down properly to keep cars under control...

However, if you can keep the 787B under control, it does become a very excellent thing. It is very rapid out of corners, with a 5-speed tranny which when stock gets you to 220mph - slower normally than most Group Cs but not a low stat at all. At speed the 787B's downforce gets you through corners very quickly, and scares you even further than it does while you accelerate out of slower corners. The car also looks pretty slick, and while this Stealth Model livery is a very good creation of Gran Turismos, I'm sure you should all know about the top class Renown green/orange livery your 787B probably comes in. It's a classic livery for the ages, which Gran Turismo even copied onto their RX-8 LM Concept Race Car.

Obviously the sound is top class, easily being a top 5 sound in the game. The rotary engine behind you can get to 9500rpm before shifting, and the 787B also sounds remarkably glorious at idle too. The great thing about this is that the sound is also highly realistic, take a look at comparison videos and you'll see what I mean.

Pricing is not cheap, which is a given for a car like this normally, but as the 787B is 5.6million credits normally it is somewhat more expensive than other Group C racers. The benefit is you usually don't have to pay for the rebuilding of the engine as you get your 787B 0/0, and the Stealth Model also has the added bonus of costing 50 credits to rebuild and overhaul your engine and rigidity. Shame most people haven't got it yet...

NrburgringNordschleife_17.jpg
NrburgringNordschleife_12.jpg

So then, the 787B is in general a rather scary car to drive, and it can really unnerve you at times. However, there's no denying that it is also a top class racer that will certainly prove to be a very good stronghold for you and your career in GT5. I've had this Stealth Model since Day 1 and it has done so much for me - the GT All Stars comes to mind, as does my still famous Like the Wind victory of a mere 0.001 second victory at Indy. Remember, this car has only a 220mph top speed normally, and I was using the 787B stock...

But now, it's time to see how the 905 can respond to this super powerful 787B. Is it really a better car, or is it gonna fall short of the 787B's marker? Let's find out.

NrburgringNordschleife_11.jpg
NrburgringNordschleife_15.jpg

But before I begin my review of the 905, I have a tale to tell you back from the days of Gran Turismo 4.

GT4 was a time where everything was Standard, there was a limitless supply of events to take part in, understeer was prominent, everything bar 2 came from no later than 2005, and a revolution had occured in the GT series with a number of new cars showing up to party.

The 905 was one of these new cars in the game, and it was keen to stand up as a fast Group C racer. However, in GT4, it suffered from one very bad, vital, crucial flaw, which I will now demonstrate with a race on High Speed Ring Reverse - a track famous for actually changing from GT4 to GT5.

IMG0000-4.jpg

Jesus christ, this camera is so hard to use now...

IMG0001-3.jpg

And now...3...2...1...Go!!!

IMG0002-3.jpg

It's a good start off the line. Now we're gonna shift up into 2nd and...

IMG0003-6.jpg

...nothing happens.

IMG0004-4.jpg

...Yawn...still shifting up...

IMG0005-2.jpg

"This is ridiculous. Think I might make myself a cup of tea while this thing shifts up..."

...5 minutes later...

IMG0006-2.jpg

"No, it's still not shifted up. Think there might be something wrong with the car..."

IMG0007-2.jpg

"Dude, why are there only 5 of us...I'm sure there was a Peugeot 905 somewhere around here earlier..."​

In short, the problem was simple. Its gearbox didn't work. Or just shifted at the speed of a snail, that's what.

So, one would be expecting, that this being a simple Standard conversion, that such a problem would be befitting in this game for the 905 to have.

So, you take off with the car, get ready to shift into 2nd and accept the inevitable...

...and 2nd gear is there! You're actually in 2nd! In a Peugeot 905! Then you go to 3rd, and that's there as well! Then 4th! Then 5th! Then 6th! Then you realise, at last, the Peugeot 905 is no longer a lousy-gearboxed program error of a car, but instead a proper competitor for racing in! It's brilliant! Brilliant!

OK, sorry, got a bit carried away there. Yeah...

NrburgringNordschleife_16.jpg
NrburgringNordschleife_14.jpg

Now, serious stuff. The Peugeots handling is not as responsive as the 787B, as it is lighter, and is therefore easier to control than the 787B. It also makes some huge, no, enormous spark showers in the bumpy sections of the Nurburgring, as it did in GT4 when its gearbox let you move faster than 45.

I also think the 905 looks considerably better than the 787B in my opinion. The 787B looks good, but it's just really flat with a bubble in the middle for the driver. With the Peugeot, there are curves everywhere. Everywhere. Yes, the side might be a bit flat and yes, the front lights are a bit odd (and also very annoying at night - they're too bright!) and yes, the livery isn't as good looking as a 787Bs but come on...just look at it!

In terms of straight line speed, the 905 is a bit of a mixed bag over the 787B. It has a 6-speed (definitely fully working) gearbox rather than a 5-speed the 787B has, which allows for better acceleration (which also makes the 88C-V much more lethal). However, the faster you get, the more the 905 begins to drop off as you find out the 905 suffers from a very big lack of high-speed torque, as can be justified by the fact its 12000rpm redline (joint highest in the game this side of the Formula cars) doesn't give it much torque elsewhere. Mind you, by the end of it all, you might be lucky enough to get there ahead of the Mazda, if you can beat its top end speed.

In terms of sound, the 905 gets an identical sound to the one in GT4, just lowered a bit (but still pretty high pitched), which is decent but far from realistic. The 787Bs is so much better, but usually in this you're going too fast to notice. The new onboard view for standards as well looks somewhat decent with the 905 actually but with the 787B getting full on technicals it is no contest there. Plus the 787B has a ton of technical stuff in its cockpit anyway...and also a very furry looking wheel. Furry...:3

So then, the final verdict...this'll be difficult.

The 787B is harder to drive, not as good looking, better sounding, much more fun to drive sometimes, Premium, faster on straights, slower to accelerate, a lot more wheelspinny, not as high revving and has a better cockpit. The 905 is easier to drive, faster around circuits if you're a learner, Standard, not as good sounding, faster off the line, not as fast down straights, not as good sounding, but - and this is crucial - an enormous improvement over its GT4 self.

That is what wins it for the 905 for me - it is so much better than it was in GT4 that it feels better as a result. The 787B is certainly there and not to be laughed at ever, but compared to its GT4 self, while obviously getting a look upgrade, there isn't much change to its structure. It has the same 220mph top speed, same gearing feel, and if anything the only difference is the little wiper that liked to flick up randomly in GT4 is gone here. There was even a Black coloured model like this exact Stealth Model in GT4 - goes to show the general lack of difference from this game to the last. The 905 has undergone tons of changes - much better gearbox, doesn't always drop off the gear once it goes to 6th, and is in general so much better. The Peugeot 905 might well be the slowest Group C in this game, but it is still my favourite of them all, and better yet, it was the last great Group C ever.

Final Scores
787B: 16/20
905: 17/20

Y U COPY MY IDEA?! :lol:

Nah, good review, but I <3 the sound of the 905 personally. Glad it won :D now bugger my dinner, I need to finish writing!!!

You had the 787B Stealth?!

You shoulda ran it with me when I had the PS3 with me before, I'd have a casual LMP run with ya, with of course the stealth R10. But since it ain't with me no more so GAWD DAMMIT WHY JUST NOW

Vauxhall VX220 '00 vs Lotus Elise '96​
Everyone loves lightweight cars. I know you should, and if you don't, I don't see why you should be interested in cars at all.

These two cars, the Vauxhall VX220 and Lotus Elise '96, are two of the softest cars in this class. Where as some cars such as the Lotus Elise 111R like to compress your heart into nothing, these two tend to be very easy going, easy to drive cars that won't make too much of a fuss. Even if they are MR...

These two cars were both fitted with Sports Exhausts to enhance their sounds and also the Elise was given a tiny little spoiler at the back for testing. Now then, which of these two is better?

NrburgringNordschleife_2-1.jpg
NrburgringNordschleife_9.jpg

Let's start with the VX220.

The performance on this VX220 isn't too bad. It has a 150hp engine to start with, which is decently fast given it only weighs 850kg. It feels at least decently fast, and also has a Turbo version higher up the scale if there isn't enough power in this to start. Of course, this also applies to Opels Speedster models, which are identical in every form to Vauxhalls VX220s.

Driving the VX220 also tends to be rather simple. It is obviously slightly slidey with the MR drivetrain at its disposal but the slides you get are very simple ones, very easy to correct. You shouldn't have much problem driving this thing with the right driving style, and even if you are semi-aggressive with the car you won't be crashing it off the road too often. I hope.

NrburgringNordschleife_8.jpg
NrburgringNordschleife-3.jpg

The VX220 is a Standard and therefore doesn't get a proper onboard view. However, the view out of the window is pretty decent as well. However, this won't matter at all when we come to the Elise, given that that is a Premium...

Tuning up a VX220 gives you some decent variety. Obviously, with more power comes even more slideyness and so therefore you will definitely want some materials to correct that. If you don't...expect a crash sometime soon. Obviously as this is a stock bar exhaust version it's fine for now but tuning it up high will need some adjustments.

The sound on this particular VX220 with the Sports Exhaust is alright. The new exhaust gives it a good half-scream that isn't too boring. Of course, the stock exhaust however is laughable by comparison. It's just a drone, nothing more. So, once you do buy your VX220, I'd recommend getting an exhaust mod to change the dull sound, as it will make the car feel even that much better. The power increase will not be that much. Don't worry.

NrburgringNordschleife_7.jpg
NrburgringNordschleife_3.jpg

The VX220 here is bizarrely high priced. I don't really think this car is worth 44,690 Cr., especially when you consider it's a Vauxhall. The Turbo is only about 5,000 Cr. more and has far better performance, and is far better value for money. Does beg the question why I'm testing this and not that though...

It's probably to do with the Elise we now have to test here. Either way, the VX220 isn't exactly bad, with a very easy drive but also a bit too high of a price to justify its true performance. Regardless it shouldn't be that expensive to you anyway and the performance is alright, though the Turbo is faster for not that much (albeit heavier and probably harder to control, I haven't tried it yet).

And now we come to our '96 Elise. We really should be testing the '00 come to think of it, but I'm not bothering to find another UCD car for that long...so the '96 it is.

NrburgringNordschleife_6.jpg
NrburgringNordschleife_4.jpg

The Elise has less power, some 25hp less, but also nearly 100kg less than the VX220. Even so, the PWR of it is still not as good as the VX220s, so it is slightly slower as a result. This doesn't mean it is slow at all, just not as fast as the VX220.

It is however not quite as wild as it. Part of this is down to the lower power, some of it might be down to the spoiler I put on the rear (even though this spoiler hasn't been given more than 5 downforce). Whatever though, it is an easier drive than the VX220 and that's good for simple cruises.

The Elise '96's looks are certainly tons better than the VX220. The VX220 certainly doesn't look bad, with a rather advanced boxy style to it. However, the Elise '96 actually looks rather cute to me. It's very small, being very lightweight, it has tiny little lights, a tiny little bonnet for itself which is actually the only part of the front that becomes carbon after the carbon bonnet addition :lol: and it even has a light-up number-plate at the back to enjoy. Who ever would have thought such a sports based car could look so good?

NrburgringNordschleife_5.jpg
NrburgringNordschleife_1-2.jpg

Obviously, the Elise is Premium so its tuning capabilities were already better than the VX220s to begin with, but it destroys it when you get to the fact of the matter than this Elise can be RMd. RMing this Elise turns it from a cute little speedster into an angry monster of a car that can beat LM racers easily after being given a full mod. Its weight is 645kg after RM, the second lightest RM or TC in the whole game, and it kinda shows. Thing is, with the extra downforce, it isn't always that slidey even with so much more power it probably would make the Elises normal engine look unrecognisable. The Elise RM is very brilliant, but alas, this is just a mainly stock model, so that'll have to wait till later.

The sound of this sports exhaust isn't as good as the one the VX220 gets unfortunately. It's still decent but not really there. Unfortunately I can't really remember what the stock sound sounds like (never tested it with this) but I would imagine it would make the VX220's stock sound rather laughable...which does make for a contrast over what it is with Sports Exhausts.

The price of the Elise is also an improvement over the VX220. 37,600 Cr. in this case does tend to be good enough, unlike what the VX220's unworthy price is. RMing it costs somewhere in the region of 130,000 Cr., making it a cheap one to RM over other cars. Trouble is, if you're looking for a sportier version, expect to be forking over much more than a VX220 Turbo's price tag. The Elise Sport 190 in this game is a 65,000 Cr. car, which is far too expensive even despite it being a very superb Elise (perhaps even a too fast Elise). The Motor Sport Elise is even more expensive at 100,000 Cr., but then, that is technically now a racer, so that can be forgiven.

So then...which is the winner overall?

The VX220 is the faster car, the Elise is easier to drive, the VX220 is probably more fun, the Elise looks prettier, has Premium, much better tuning capabilities, perhaps a better stock sound, the VX220 has the better sports exhaust sound, is a bit harder to drive, is not worth its money, as are the Elises sportier versions, and the Elise is better value for money. Hmm...difficult to choose between the two.

So difficult in fact, that I'm calling it a draw. These two are very similar, each have their own strengths and weaknesses, and that's why I'm calling it a draw. The VX220 has the speed, the fun, the boxy looks, the good sound. The Elise has the extra tuning power, is easier to drive, better priced and looks better. Really, which one you take largely depends on which your mind thinks is better in the long run: VX220 or Elise? Your call...

Final Scores:
VX220: 14/20
Elise: 14/20

Nice review regarding two featherweights - one purely British and the other somewhat.

Although I'd still prefer the VX220. Because Opel. Not saying that the Elise sucks, but I'm not a big fan of cuddly looks, I want something aggressive and razor-sharp.

Hey, C-ZETA, I love your reviews. Would you mind taking a look at mine and telling me what you think? (link can be found in my signature)

RKM Motorsports' Rotary Junkie's Roj's Golf​
Now for our tuner review this time, and we've got one of RKM's tunes again to look forward to. After reviewing their excellent Juliet tune before, it's now time to take on their Golf IV GTI RM tune they have done. This particular tune has been updated for Spec II (albeit with no changes at all), so this should be a full power review we have here. How will this particular Golf fare in our hands?

FujiSpeedwayF_12.jpg

I have a rather bad relationship with RKMs FF tunes. The first I tried was their Nissan AXE, which was quite bad. I later tried their Yukamobile, which was also quite bad for me, and their recently released Shafz Starlet hasn't been completely rid of understeer either. Some of their FF tunes have been quite good - their RKM Ricer comes to mind - but for the most part I've found their FF tunes plain understeery. I was hoping this Golf wouldn't be joining their FF bad pile, and so when I was starting the test I was quite confident of myself in wanting this thing to be a good car.

So, I've tried it, and I have to say: it ain't half bad.

The understeer has indeed been completely rid of for the most part, although the RMing of the car might have helped to some degree. Even so, this is one FF that isn't bad with its handling this time, and that's good to hear.

FujiSpeedwayF_11.jpg

And as you can see here, I can even pull off some rather awesome handbrake turns in this thing. Fuji is a very big playground for throwing cars around given how much runoff there is of it. Sure, it might be very much hated around the community, but I don't really care. Any track deserves its spot in the game really.

The Golf also has a pretty good top speed. It manages to cope rather well with having just a 5-speed and suffering from less acceleration. The turbo helps out somewhat in this regard, which keeps it going at higher RPMs.

FujiSpeedwayF_10.jpg

Tuning this Golf doesn't cost too much. It isn't a lot of money to buy the car from scratch, RMing it doesn't cost a whole lot and you have less parts to buy for yourself as well. This does sort of work as a cheaper racer, albeit it with not that little pricing, so it isn't really a budget racer as such...anyway, I'm droning on.

To be honest, I'm quite surprised a Golf IV can't be tuned to a higher level. 323bhp isn't a whole lot - not even that much more than an R32 Golf IV to be honest. Hang on...I've just answered my own question. :lol: Ah, but that's Standard! You see, you see. :sly: I wish the Golf W12-650 Concept was here though. That is probably one of the best looking cars in...uh...ever. :)

FujiSpeedwayF_9.jpg

This Golf is probably a very good, very diverse car, although I haven't studied fully what events it could go in and win. Let me think from scratch...right, Schwarzwald League B, Turbo Sports Cup, Grand Valley 300km, Laguna Seca 200 miles, Polyphony Digital Cup...that's a good list to aim for in this Golf.

So all in all, RKM has made this Golf a much faster entity, and unlike most of its FF cars, has not disappointed this time. Its steering is perfect, it's very fast, it's in general a very good car to use. I'd try this tune if you do have a Golf IV GTI to use...but then there are the Kubelwagen, Schwimmwagen and SambaBus to your left of the dealership you could always give a try! Don't listen to what anyone says - they're all fun when fully modded. Trust me. :)

FujiSpeedwayF_8.jpg

"Whew, I've knackered this car out now."

FujiSpeedwayF_7.jpg

"Hang on a minute...what's that sound?"

FujiSpeedwayF_6.jpg

"Oh no...don't tell me we've got...

FujiSpeedwayF_5.jpg

"A VTEC on our track!"​

Yes we do, Mr. Driver.

Meet Nian Cat Type-R, my all new custom Honda Integra Type R. For the basis of this, this time the Integra'll be playing Nia...because when this thing comes at a time like this, you know there is no time for cats to be coming around here.

OK...just one.

shortcat.jpg

There. Now, go away, cats. (Notice the secret hidden poster in the background.)

FujiSpeedwayF_4.jpg

Thing is, Nia has no time for being bossed around for anything. She feels challenged by this Golfs presence, so she's here to try and show it some new guts. She wants to be the boss of all FFs. Always. Never beaten by anything else. And there's a good reason why she wouldn't want to be...because no one doesn't like being the best.

FujiSpeedwayF_3.jpg

These two, on paper, are highly identical. Nia has slightly less power, slightly less weight, a decent bit less downforce :lol:, a 6-speed, not a 5-speed and a simple naturally aspirated engine rather than a turbocharged one. Together, these two are very closely matched, and there's no knowing who's better at this time.

FujiSpeedwayF_2-1.jpg

So that's what we're gonna find out. A 1 lap race around Fuji, to determine which of these FF monsters is better...my Integra, or Roj's Golf?

FujiSpeedwayF_1.jpg

The benchmark has been set for the Golf to beat.

FujiSpeedwayF-2.jpg

Let's see if it can beat it.

And sadly, this is where the review ends for now...Roj's Golf has proven itself very well as a strong FF tune, but now the tune of C-ZETA, Nian Cat Type-R, is ready to take it on to prove which of the two is faster. So...who will win this scrap?

Stay tuned to C-ZETA's car reviews to find out!
(Notice the pun at the end.)

My monies on the animumobile as always.

The Golf has the turbo but the Integra's got the VTEC, which basically is a turbo for NA's to remain NA's... Still.

C-ZETA you do realize that the Vauxhall uses a lotus chassis don't you?
In fact I think its actually an Elise chassis.:D

C-ZETA you do realize that the Vauxhall uses a lotus chassis don't you?
In fact I think its actually an Elise chassis.:D

Never knew. Either way that would be an Elise '00 chassis I reckon, this Elise is the '96, they're therefore different.

Even in your thread?!

Sorry, Mr. Harvey Wallbanger, but with all due respect, C-ZETA does not award lucky people :lol:

Nah...besides which I've already decided two of my reviews for next week. First is a redux of the CT230R (as Spec II did so much to it), second will probably be Part 2 of the Nia vs Golf race (providing it gets done then :lol:). The obvious missing link is the road car review again :lol: I'm sure I can find one again for myself though.

Nah...besides which I've already decided two of my reviews for next week. First is a redux of the CT230R (as Spec II did so much to it), second will probably be Part 2 of the Nia vs Golf race (providing it gets done then :lol:). The obvious missing link is the road car review again :lol: I'm sure I can find one again for myself though.

Need someone to drive the Golf? Or has that been sorted out? If not, can I do it? :D

Need someone to drive the Golf? Or has that been sorted out? If not, can I do it? :D

Roj was meant to do it. Then he didn't show up.

EDIT: Also I have just had a brilliant idea for my road car test next week :D It's 5 '70's Japanese cars all in one review. Now, it is your job to guess what they are :sly: They all showed up in the...last OCD I think?

EDIT EDIT: Make that 6 now with an extra one from the late '60s that is in the OCD currently. Guess which one that is too...

Last edited:
Roj was meant to do it. Then he didn't show up.

EDIT: Also I have just had a brilliant idea for my road car test next week :D It's 5 '70's Japanese cars all in one review. Now, it is your job to guess what they are :sly: They all showed up in the...last OCD I think?

So is the slot now open?

Mistubishi Galant being one of them?

Only if he never shows up ever :lol:

Correct
Wrong

Use that as a reference guide for all your answers.
YAY! I IZ CORRECT! :D

And off-topic-ish, but FACK YEA! Just under 3 hours and that's one review finished! Nao for bed, then postin' it tomorrow with pictures! :D

Back