How the hell is `Tsukuba` a swear word???

• Thread starter Nismo GTi
  • 46 comments

Nismo GTi

(Banned)
United Kingdom
Essex
n15 gti
It`s the name of a :censored:ing track in the :censored:ing game, so why the smeg, whenever I try to type it in the chat box does it come out as ****???

Someone asked what a fun track was I said "I like Tsukuba", but it came out as the whole sentence being *******, the host said "???", I typed "Tsukuba" again, but again it came out as **** & before I got a chance to finish typing "wtf? why can`t I say the name of a track???" I was kicked, because they thought I was swearing when I wasn`t.

They need to sort this out, as it`s causing arguments, giving people a bad rep & is unfair imho.

Anyone else agree?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Pescarolo" and "Engine" say *** as well... damn disconnections, sorry ***** ....

How the hell does that work?
That just makes no sense whatsoever, a racing game where racing related words are censored???
WTF?

Someone asked what a fun track was I said "I like Tsukuba", but it came out as the whole sentence being *******, the host said "???", I typed "Tsukuba" again, but again it came out as **** & before I got a chance to finish typing "wtf? why can`t I say the name of a 🤬 track???" I was kicked, because they thought I was swearing when I wasn`t.

That censored above will get you in trouble around here too. I wouldn't do it, unless you're asking for an infraction.

You can bypass it with periods between each letter or space each letter. If you're a fast PS3 typer like me you wouldn't notice the extra time.

Jubby, you serious?

I own a Nissan track/weekend car (currently in storage for the winter) & use that word everyday, it even has the slogan "if it aint *** it`s crap" in the window.
Evensome of the `orientals` (that`ll probably be wrong too) themselves use it & have it on their cars!
Why`s it such a big problem to say everyday words/phrases here?
Serious question btw.

It's ridiculous. The word z06 is starred out. What is that supposed to mean I'm curious. But seriously they really need to fix the swear filter.

Jubby, you serious?

I own a Nissan track/weekend car (currently in storage for the winter) & use that word everyday, it even has the slogan "if it aint *** it`s crap" in the window.
Evensome of the `orientals` (that`ll probably be wrong too) themselves use it & have it on their cars!
Why`s it such a big problem to say everyday words/phrases here?
Serious question btw.

Yes. I am serious.

See this thread: Here

I hate to play "policeman", but here's hoping it saves someone getting in trouble. :cheers:

What seriously gripes my butt is that the actual swear words aren't even censored! Well, besides the really bad ones.

Not meaning to turn this into a racial argument, but to take that outdated quote from wikipedia is in my opinion, poor judgement & just making things worse, yes it was true in the 70s & 80`s, but the change happened in the mid 90s.

As I say, I personally know alot of japanese people, through being part of the `*** scene` which is what they regard themselves as & indeed call themselves.

What they`ve done is the same as the N word, turned it from a negative to a positive, wherein, if it`s in everyday use by themselves, how can it be degrading?

This post is not intended to cause offence.

JDM, is no different than USDM, is no different from EDM, is no different from UKDM. It's sole purpose is to identify the corresponding 'domestic market', if you will. Anything else implied from that is sheer ignorance.

different words mean different things across the globe...so "bacon" for some of us is a tasty bit of pig..where as somewhere else, it could be insulting someones mother?

you get the point

different words mean different things across the globe...so "bacon" for some of us is a tasty bit of pig..where as somewhere else, it could be insulting someones mother?

you get the point

Go to Google Translate, French to English, and type in ''con''. You will see why bacon is censored.

First off, the swear filter isn't from PD, they use the same chat filter that the PS3/PSN uses for regular chat sessions on the XMB.

Second of all, you have to stop assuming that certain words are filtered. The truth is, most of these words are filtered not because of the words themselves, but because they have a combination of letters in them that consolidate another smaller word.

A couple examples:

Tsukuba. The word "Tsukuba" isn't filtered, the word "suk" is. Try it out, type out "suk" and it'll be filtered.
Bacon. The same deal. "Con" is filtered.

The PS3's chat filter apparently filters out many swear words in many different languages. From what I read above, "con" is apparently a french swear word and I've come across my fair share of english words that contain swear words in spanish and they're filtered out too, despite the fact that the word I'm typing means something completely different.

See the problem? ;)

You only have to look at the GTP blog every time there's a new seasonal event to realise that "Tsukuba" is indeed a swear word.

Incidentally, every UKGTP attendee since UKGTP5 will know that Tsukuba is a swear word when I say it.

Plainly there are more examples of swears/slangs unsuitable for exhibition other than this one, even though the word doesn't contain or isn't intended to have vulgar meanings itself.

Every time I try to say "Ferrari" in Japanese(the term being written "フェラーリ" in the language) it's always popped up as a meaningless list of asterisks which doesn't make sense at all, I wonder why these particular words are wrongly interpreted as if they're indeed considered to be dirty... Hope the problem can be dealt with quickly since it sometimes unables us to communicate in a straight way without causing the words to be misleading.

First off, the swear filter isn't from PD, they use the same chat filter that the PS3/PSN uses for regular chat sessions on the XMB.

Second of all, you have to stop assuming that certain words are filtered. The truth is, most of these words are filtered not because of the words themselves, but because they have a combination of letters in them that consolidate another smaller word.

PS3 needs a better word tokenization. Not hard to implement something like that correctly. Clearly Sony failed at this.

A while ago, I discovered 'reverse engineering' set off the asterisk factory. Now if I'd typed 'reverse cowgirl', I could've understood...

Back