Wallbanger's "Tons of Fun"(Final Round Underway)

XDesperado67
The competition has 5 categories. With 6 cars in a group a car can earn from 1-6 points in each category. If you are #1 in a category you receive 6 points, #2 gets 5 points, #3 gets 4 points, etc. The points from all 5 categories are added together and the top 2 cars from each group go to the final round.

The Drivers Choice rankings for each Test Driver will be averaged just like the lap times are averaged.

So if a test driver ranks you #1 and a second one ranks you #3 along with DaDog's #2 ranking your average will be a #2 ranking or 5 points for the drivers choice category.

Hope that makes sense for you and clarifies any questions you might have.:D:tup:👍

This is how I thought it would go, but isn't there one group with 5 people meaning they would get less points than everyone else?

This is how I thought it would go, but isn't there one group with 5 people meaning they would get less points than everyone else?
The first round points don't matter in the finals, and its not a competition between groups. So there is no penalty for the group with only 5 entries other than they will probably be even tighter in their point spread than the other groups.

XDesperado67
The first round points don't matter in the finals, and its not a competition between groups. So there is no penalty for the group with only 5 entries other than they will probably be even tighter in their point spread than the other groups.

Oooo yes I forgot its only points per group right now

It's ok for me anyway, i did not build the car thinking in any strategy to make more points , i only knew it had to be heavy,with a good picture and very drivable.
Just for this point, the contest is very pleasant for me. I needed to learn how to take betters pics, and also i've never imagine before that a so heavy car could be so pleasant to drive. Very positive experience.

Thanks and congrats to you Mr wallbanger. Let see if i pass to the second part. :)👍👍
><((((°>°°°°°°

Finished testing group B today, will post results and reviews later. Will start testing group C tomorrow.👍👍

The competition has 5 categories. With 6 cars in a group a car can earn from 1-6 points in each category. If you are #1 in a category you receive 6 points, #2 gets 5 points, #3 gets 4 points, etc. The points from all 5 categories are added together and the top 2 cars from each group go to the final round.

The Drivers Choice rankings for each Test Driver will be averaged just like the lap times are averaged.

So if a test driver ranks you #1 and a second one ranks you #3 along with DaDog's #2 ranking your average will be a #2 ranking or 5 points for the drivers choice category.

Hope that makes sense for you and clarifies any questions you might have.:D:tup:👍

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. If there were three test drivers and Driver A got a 1, 2 and 3 for an average of 2 and Driver B got a 1, 2, 4 for an average of 2.33 and no one else did any better, would Driver A get the 6 points for finishing highest or 5 points because he averaged out to a second place finish? Would they both get 5 points?

Johnnypenso
Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly. If there were three test drivers and Driver A got a 1, 2 and 3 for an average of 2 and Driver B got a 1, 2, 4 for an average of 2.33 and no one else did any better, would Driver A get the 6 points for finishing highest or 5 points because he averaged out to a second place finish? Would they both get 5 points?

Your question is very hard to understand. However everything is averaged out. So all the times for one course are averaged and the top guy wins that and gets 6 points. It works the same for everything else too. If there is a tie it doesn't matter because it's the top two guys who move on.

Finish position and points are in reverse order of each other so a 1st place is worth more points than a second place. In your example the lower average number equals the higher points so your tuner A would get more points for his lower average place...:dopey::drool:

Making my head hurt here trying to explain this again.

If you use the average of the test drivers rankings for drivers choice i.e. the raw data then the lower the average number equals the better overall finish. 3 1sts equal an average of 1 which is better than 3 2nds that average to 2. To make it easier to understand for most people I'm awarding points instead of just using the raw data so a 1st place will get 6 points (5 points for group B) and a 2nd gets one less point or 5 (4 for B) etc. Those points from all the test drivers results for a given group are then averaged to determine final rankings in the group.
However you really don't have to worry about the math since madmyk set up the score sheets to calculate most of this stuff for us.👍👍
As long as madmyk and DigitalBaka enter the data correctly then we'll get good results.:D

Incomplete results

Times: London

56.634 Onboy123 CL600
55.102 Dragonthing BMW M5
55.351 Johnnypenso Audi R8 5.2 V10
55.691 MrGrado Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09
56.170 praiano63 Maserati Gran Turismo S '08
57.971 sheephead99 Mercedes C63 AMG

Times: Autodromo Nazionale Monza (No Chicane)

108.136 Onboy123 CL600
107.269 Dragonthing BMW M5
99.180 Johnnypenso Audi R8 5.2 V10
99.300 MrGrado Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09
106.199 praiano63 Maserati Gran Turismo S '08
108.255. sheephead99 Mercedes C63 AMG

Drivers Choice

Group D
1. Dragonthing's M5
2. Johnnypenso's Audi R8 V10
3. MrGrado's Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
4. Praiano63's Maserati Gran Turismo S
5. Onboy123's CL600
6. Sheephead99's C63 AMG

Comments

Dragonthing BMW M5
I LOVE ITTT!!!!! Storm Dragon indeed, this feels like a GT car with race car underpinnings, it's eager to turn in, sticks its claws into tarmac and is never out of control and DAT NOISE!!!!!! :drool: Brakes make slowing down from high speed a bit terrifying though&#8230;

Johnnypenso Audi R8 5.2 V10
Calm to drive, very tame for nearly 900hp. Put it simply, this is the X1 of the pack. Easily one of the fastest of this group.First to crack 200 going down Monza's straight.

MrGrado Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) '09
Christ this is fast! If Johnny's R8 was the X1 of the pack, this is a FGT. Not as fast, but every bit as hard edged. It wheelspins through 1st and 2nd, and even when you're pointing straight, the car will snap around if you get cocky in the low gears. It my just be me and my brutish ways, but I like this harnessed lunacy. Not on London though. :scared:

praiano63 Maserati Gran Turismo S '08
Grip. More grip than a car of this size should have. Very easy to drive, slight understeer when pushed at high speed. Very controlled at all times and feels very GT like too.

sheephead99 Mercedes C63 AMG
Controllable car once you past 1st gear, oversteer is always on offer due to the turbo, just not as fast as I was hoping. Has plenty of grip at high speeds once it settles down, but it's very unpredictable when you try to get it up to speed.

nomis3613's SL65AMG

Last edited:
@Onboy you need to give your own car a drivers choice ranking. Otherwise it will automatically just get listed as 6th.

Score sheet updated again. Those that haven't started running the cars they signed up for should get cracking soon. Post your times up as you have them, even if your list is incomplete. 👍

A few photos are starting to break away but the polls are still pretty close. Polls will close when the driver times are due so feel free to keep bumping the threads until then! :sly:

Thanks for the feedback, can you please explain where exactly you were tail happy? I didn't seem to have this problem while I was tuning so I am a little confused as to how this is occuring.

...it's a very very fast way to take a turn with a FWD ,that for the most of them show understeer or neutral driving at this moment
Praiano's right, it does feel a bit FWD where you set up for a very responsive front end for corner entry. Also, I'm using DS3 so that might exaggerate it. Anyway, normally it wouldn't be a problem (and at London it really helped you get pole position!), I just felt that at Monza it wasn't keeping with the relaxed, stable character of a Grand Tourer car.

Glad you liked it. Tried to make sure I left plenty of room in 6th gear for Monza without sacrificing to much acceleration in the lower gears. I may have misjudged what it would need for those drivers that use a manual transmission as this worked good for me running an automatic. As for the throttle oversteer again I figured that controlling that with a more gentle touch on the throttle was preferred to not being able to bring the rear end out for tighter corners and as an aid to combating any understeer I wasn't able to tune out.
Duuuuuude!! You gotta stop running auto and learn how to drive stick! If your power band doesn't end at the redline it's putting you at a disadvantage for starters. :)

As for the power oversteer, my results may be due to my ham-fisted throttle control with a DS3. I imagine with good pedal control you could take advantage of the LSD better. But, still, I think a lower setting would allow you to use more throttle without the rear starting to slide, thus improving corner exit. Just a suggestion.

Praiano's right, it does feel a bit FWD where you set up for a very responsive front end for corner entry. Also, I'm using DS3 so that might exaggerate it. Anyway, normally it wouldn't be a problem (and at London it really helped you get pole position!), I just felt that at Monza it wasn't keeping with the relaxed, stable character of a Grand Tourer car.

I tuned it with a DS3. Was it every corner you were experiencing this?

Sorry for all these questions I am just really confused as to what exactly is happening with my car. :indiff:

I tuned it with a DS3. Was it every corner you were experiencing this?

Sorry for all these questions I am just really confused as to what exactly is happening with my car. :indiff:

I think what Praiano is talking about is what happens when you set a FF's diff to something like…5/30/5, the car becomes much more responsive when you steer off throttle…I think.

I think what Praiano is talking about is what happens when you set a FF's diff to something like…5/30/5, the car becomes much more responsive when you steer off throttle…I think.

I think my noobness is finally catching up with me then :lol:
But isn't that a good thing?

I think my noobness is finally catching up with me then :lol:
But isn't that a good thing?

It is, but what they're saying is that it doesn't really fit the whole GT thing, you want relaxed and progressive steering which calms your nerves, not super sharp responses.

I think.

It is, but what they're saying is that it doesn't really fit the whole GT thing, you want relaxed and progressive steering which calms your nerves, not super sharp responses.

I think.

Ahh bugger, I didn't realise that it was judged on how much it felt like a GT car :(.

Ahh bugger, I didn't realise that it was judged on how much it felt like a GT car :(.

No no no it isn't! If it was, my car would win by a country mile! :lol: It's just in keeping with the theme of the task to take a big fat cat, turn it into Usain Bolt, but keep the fat. :dopey:

Thanks for correcting your results post with the addition of your drivers choice placement.👍👍

No no no it isn't! If it was, my car would win by a country mile! :lol: It's just in keeping with the theme of the task to take a big fat cat, turn it into Usain Bolt, but keep the fat. :dopey:

This makes me even more confused as to what exactly is wrong with my car :banghead:

Hi Wildheart,

This makes me even more confused as to what exactly is wrong with my car :banghead:

No, there's nothing wrong as such, it's just a observation. :)

Onboy is spot on, it's not a fault with the tune, just a driver preference thing. For this competition I decided to consider how a tune works for a Grand Tourer (which has a more 'relaxed style of handling). In fact, normally it would be a good thing to have such agility in a tune 👍

Hi Wildheart,

Onboy is spot on, it's not a fault with the tune, just a driver preference thing. For this competition I decided to consider how a tune works for a Grand Tourer (which has a more 'relaxed style of handling). In fact, normally it would be a good thing to have such agility in a tune 👍

Yea, since I learned how to get a FF to have this agility, I've been doing it to them ever since. Works like a wonder. :D

In other news, here's a moment of epic facepalm-ing from me as I show you what cars I could have entered aside from my enormous CL600. (PD, Y U NO GIVE IT TURBO?!?!??!?!?! :grumpy:)

6451543385_9e93b81453.jpg

:ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch::ouch:

Hi Wildheart,

ahh ok thanks for clearing it up :)

Just under 12 hours left for people to sign up as Test Drivers.

Thanks for everyone who has already signed up and if anyone wants to test additional groups now is the time to announce it.:cheers:

Just under 12 hours left for people to sign up as Test Drivers.

Thanks for everyone who has already signed up and if anyone wants to test additional groups now is the time to announce it.:cheers:

So, we have the most number of tuners and the least number of testers for this end of year shootout. Odd, ain't it.

Latest Posts

Back