Chase for NASCAR Sprint Cup S2 Champs: RFLX_Niop, Hendrick, Chevy

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,095 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Niop was moving at 1 MPH on my screen and you went up the wall at the start of the race.Just my internet. But you saw me. later in the race everyone went into the wall and i got disconnect.

I guess that makes sense why you turned into me as if no one was there. Oh well, I guess things happen. Hopefully you can get your connection sorted, because it was an unfortunate accident for many of us out there today.

kenkwilinski
And drop u say u finidhed 8th, not right I finished 9th of 11 on the lead lap only 27 sec behind. So u were definitly 10th dude

Will someone else please explain this so it doesn't look like I'm just making it up?

Drop was running in fourth with MStall and ACDC, catching Home who was on a no stop strategy. I was running solo in fifth following Jakob's dc.

Drop's better half wad at the door with no key so Drop had to leave the race but before he did it was agreed by Stall and ACDC that he would be given third as that is the lowest spot he was likely to finish (if no spins).

Home was always going to lose traction and I was never going to catch.

Stall first
ACDC second
Drop third
Knelly fourth
Home fifth (I think)
Etc.

Will someone else please explain this so it doesn't look like I'm just making it up?

Well on my live timer via HUD it said I was in 9th, u were 10th, and red sox was 11th. The scoreboard showed the Same via results post race with me 27sec behind. Someone else please confirm this. And ryan, how far behind were you? Like I said that I finished 27sec behind, what about u? Maybe that can help clear this up

Drop was running in fourth with MStall and ACDC, catching Home who was on a no stop strategy. I was running solo in fifth following Jakob's dc.

Drop's better half wad at the door with no key so Drop had to leave the race but before he did it was agreed by Stall and ACDC that he would be given third as that is the lowest spot he was likely to finish (if no spins).

Home was always going to lose traction and I was never going to catch.

Stall first
ACDC second
Drop third
Knelly fourth
Home fifth (I think)
Etc.

Ok, but was he on lead lap? He did get past a few times while he grabbed the door

Ok, well r we talkin about two different things? Such as standings or the results from last night? Because if he didn't get back in his car, how could he have beat me :lol: ??? Just kinda weird I think

Edit: reviewing the thread I think I confused myself lol, sorry. I guess I shouldn't b debating at 5am, still kinda tired, my bad

Last edited:
I absolutely had to get up to go unlock the front door to let my wife in the house while there was still eight laps to go in the race. It was 40° outside and she is four months pregnant. I didn't have a choice.

At the time, I was running in what would become the lead three-car pack with ACDC and MStall. I had plenty of tire and gas, having pitted on lap 22. I asked over the voice chat if anyone had any objection to me pulling over (because I had to), and crediting me with a third place finish, which was the absolute worst I could have logically finished with such a short distance remaining and no further pitting required in the race. At least three people agreed, and no one objected (ahem, out loud, Knelly ;)). I pulled over, and did not move again until after the race was over, so as not to have ANY effect, good or bad, on anyone else's race.

I hung around until the end of the race for two reasons. I needed to maintain my connection for the duration of the race, so that no one could say I might have disconnected (at least three others did disconnect) and couldn't have finished third. Plus, I still needed to save the replay.

Droptop there was a total confusion in communications last night then. I would have totally objected to u giving urself 3rd place. Dude I have a kid n have to quite **** all the time n I don't get credited for what is logical. That's y I plan my race nights to be obstruction free. I really don't think u should get credit for third based on logic n what should of been. And actually u never know what could've really happened unless u finished. There's my claim. Example would b homeslce in our first race, shouldn't he receive a higher placing too since he'd pulled over n had to take care of stuff too? No, that is unheard of n with u crediting urself a better finish than u actually performed just isn't right. If u really want third, I think u should do a more proper vote here on the thread. Take a poll

That decision seems odd to me as well. Everyone else seemed ok with it but it's been bugging me the more I think about it. I think you should treat it like a loose lug nut, an unforeseen racing incident. Otherwise, it's gonna open a nasty can of worms. Any time a phone rings or a baby starts to cry someone's gonna want a position credited.

There is no argument against your situation being an emergency, Ryan, but if my 8 month old fills her diaper mid race you can bet its emergency here. If you don't agree then I'll just leave my mic live the next time it happens and I assure you no one will argue that I have an emergency that needs to be dealt with imediatly.

Last edited:
Giving yourself 3rd is like throwing a red flag because you feel like it, I would not credit myself with a position as I did not complete full race distance.

SUfan21
Jakob, I know youre new and inexperienced bro, but you could save yourself alot of trouble by just controlling your aggression and letting things play out. Thats how you avoid wrecks, its all about developing a feel. I get the feeling that you want to fight for the lead every lap, but until you earn the respect of the other drivers you have to give more than you take, especially early in races. Your fast, you have setups, learn patience and how to keep to your line and you will be fine. It may not sound like it, but these guys will be tolerant of you if you can get on the right track with these skills. Keep your head up and just be patient next time.

Jakob, this is the best advice given since the race last night. Everything Stall said should be heeded as this will make you a better driver all round. Patience and realising that lifting and keeping your place and control, will get you further (in both the race and with group respect), rather than racing like you would in an Aspec or Seasonal event. Remember that you are not racing against AI but other actual racers who all respect both each other and their own levels of skill. We've all been where you are to a certain degree and you will learn that patience will get you far. 👍

Drop, following all the confusion and Crazy's comments I would like it known that I am not going to get involved personally in any reasoning or voting of the final standings. Gibbs, Toyota and Myself had the most to gain by rewarding me with my first podium this season but I will respect whatever the final decision is as I don't want to become contentious in any way. However, the last thing I will add on this topic is that Crazy does have a point that a precedent will be set moving forward. To reiterate, I won't be pissed with fourth as before race I was happy with a top 6 finish as wasn't convinced in setup.

Finally, I presume that Suzuka will be first available Saturday in New Year, and appreciate you're busy mate but would love the up to date standings the next few days, so that we can all see what everyone needs to do from Make, Team and Individual perspectives. This last race before the Chase is massive for a lot of people, in different ways.

I happy to do all the bonus point counting tonight for you if it helps.

In regards to Drop's appeal for keeping his 3rd place finish, I should add that I agreed to his proposal of him pulling off track and keeping 3rd place. Having said that, with all due respect to Drop, I think it is a bit unfair to the other competitors who finished the race. I fully understand that Drop was in a precarious situation and he did what needed to be done, but we all have unfortunate situations that pop up during races which relegate us to bad finishes. Drop's case isn't any different I suppose, and that is why I respectfully have to disagree with Drop being allowed to keep 3rd. I realize I agreed with it in the moment, but in retrospect it doesnt quite seem fair. I think that in the interest of consistency across the board, Drop should forfeit the position. I won't complain if the decision is upheld, and I'm cool with whatever is agreed upon, I just think that him forfeiting the spot is the just thing to do.

kenkwilinski
Example would b homeslce in our first race, shouldn't he receive a higher placing too since he'd pulled over n had to take care of stuff too? No, that is unheard of n with u crediting urself a better finish than u actually performed just isn't right.

Homeslice pulled over early in a 200-lap race at Daytona, while plenty of laps, pit stops, accidents, and opposing strategies still had plenty of time to play out differently. There was no way of reasonably guaranteeing his finishing place when he first pulled over.

I pulled over with eight laps left at indy oval with plenty of fuel, tires, and while running in the lead pack, right after Knelly lost his drafting partner to an untimely disconnection. No one was going to catch us. It would be different if it was at a road course where I could have messed up and run off course or at Daytona where larger packs of lapped traffic could cause a big wreck at any time. At indy oval, that wasn't going to happen. Third was the absolute worst I could have possibly finished, unless you believe that M-stall was going to take me out, or that knelly was going to run down three cars by himself.

Mudd
That decision seems odd to me as well. Everyone else seemed ok with it but it's been bugging me the more I think about it. I think you should treat it like a loose lug nut, an unforeseen racing incident. Otherwise, it's gonna open a nasty can of worms. Any time a phone rings or a baby starts to cry someone's gonna want a position credited.

There is no argument against your situation being an emergency, Ryan, but if my 8 month old fills her diaper mid race you can bet its emergency here. If you don't agree then I'll just leave my mic live the next time it happens and I assure you no one will argue that I have an emergency that needs to be dealt with imediatly.

I do agree that planning is a part of racing in our series. My dog was put up, my cat was fed, and my phone was on vibrate. When my wife left that morning with my brother-in-law (so I could have the house entirely to myself on race day), neither she or he had any idea that he was going to get a call and have to go back by his university that afternoon to meet with a professor. He had to go in her car (with her keys), and she had to catch a ride home with a friend. I decided to value YOUR time over hers and actually hold the race as scheduled, instead of delaying or canceling the race at the last minute to go pick her up myself. I was trying everything I could to not inconvenience you guys, at the risk of slightly agitating my wife.

When she got home with no keys, I had no choice. I could run eight more laps and go for the win and risk severe anger/divorce/death, or I could go let my pregnant wife in the house to get her out of the cold weather and trust you guys to be somewhat rational about the situation. No one here would leave their wife or child outside in the cold for ten minutes just to finish a race.

Furinkazen
Giving yourself 3rd is like throwing a red flag because you feel like it, I would not credit myself with a position as I did not complete full race distance.

I didn't give myself third. I made a proposition to the room over the voice chat explaining the situation. I asked if it was a foregone conclusion that I would finish no worse than third, had I not needed to go let my wife in the house. I asked if I could be credited with just that, my worst possible finish under the current circumstances. I had an agreement in place before pulling safely off course. No one objected at the time. At least three other drivers were in agreement.

Had anyone contested, I wouldn't have sat out of the way for the rest of the race. I would have gotten up on a straightaway, rushed to let her in, and rushed right back to the wheel, hopefully before my abandoned car got to the next corner, and hopefully before my car spun out, ruining someone else's race because I wasn't there to steer it.

SUfan21
In regards to Drop's appeal for keeping his 3rd place finish, I should add that I agreed to his proposal of him pulling off track and keeping 3rd place. Having said that, with all due respect to Drop, I think it is a bit unfair to the other competitors who finished the race. I fully understand that Drop was in a precarious situation and he did what needed to be done, but we all have unfortunate situations that pop up during races which relegate us to bad finishes. Drop's case isn't any different I suppose, and that is why I respectfully have to disagree with Drop being allowed to keep 3rd. I realize I agreed with it in the moment, but in retrospect it doesnt quite seem fair. I think that in the interest of consistency across the board, Drop should forfeit the position. I won't complain if the decision is upheld, and I'm cool with whatever is agreed upon, I just think that him forfeiting the spot is the just thing to do.

To what position should I forfeit? I pulled off track and stayed out of everyone's way because I didn't think I needed to get back on track. Had I known I was still racing for position, I wouldn't have pulled over safely.

Last edited:
This is the first contentious thing we've had in this series, which is actually excellent credit to all involved.

Drop did leave his wheel upon an agreement and I am more than happy to give Drop third, bearing in mind I have the most to gain. He would have come back to the wheel and continued otherwise, like an unfortunate pitting reason.

However, let's move on from this and agree that no such deals can be made in future events. If you need to leave your car unexpectedly, then that's your misfortune.

If there is someone who does not make the chase on points, due to this incident, then we should allow them in, but it all needs to be agreed now.

Just as well it wasn't in the Chase.

Agreed?

Knelly the Mediator ;)

I'd like to see official standing with and without Drop's third place. I'd like to see how it effects the rest of the field. It might make or break a chance at the chase. Drop you are going to be in the chase either way so what's the big deal. My 2 cents

Assuming no one is negatively affected by this in terms of points, it may just be best to leave it alone, give Drop 3rd, and create a rule for the future. I agree that Drop was surely destined to a 3rd place anyway, and allowing this to happen one time probably wouldn't hurt so long as we can use it as a positive learning experience going forward. We ought to just outlaw this going forward otherwise we may have issues in the future with people saying "Drop did it that one time, why can't I?". Thus, we should just give Drop 3rd and move forward, because as far as I can tell, no one seems to be angry with losing a spot, they just dont want something like this to create future problems.

I agree see to seeing updated points with both situations n go from there if it effects a chase contender. I heard drop utter something but I was in the zone n paid no attention to what was said.

Drop is in the chase no matter if he gets last place points or third place points. A 3rd place finish does affect the few guys fighting for the final chase spot because it takes a 1 position(points) away from them.

OFFICIAL Indy Results:

1. #20 M-Stall41 (5 laps led) - 20 points, +1 bonus point
2. #48 ACDCROCKS123 (7 laps led) - 18 points, +1 bonus point
3. #88 Droptop2001gt (7 laps led) - 16 points, +1 bonus point
4. #18 Knelly (2 laps led) - 14 points, +1 bonus point
5. #43 homeslice47 (16 laps led) - 12 points, +2 bonus points
6. #83 dowhat13 - 11 points
7. #24 RFLX_Niop (Pole Position) - 10 points, +1 bonus point
8. #14 Mudd - 9 points, +2 bonus points
9. #42 Smuffyatfcp - 8 points
10. #83 CrAzY_bAsSiSt_83 - 7 points
11. #24 MrRedSox2542 - 6 points
12. #42 Jakob_Nascar08 - 5 points
13. #11 Furinkazen (3 laps led) - 4 points, +1 bonus point
14. #99 JoeOfTheFire - 3 points

Driver's Championship:

l0qub.jpg

Owner's Championship:

Pvqya.jpg

Manufacturer's Championship:

ceAZU.jpg

My placement of third is going to stand, because it's impossible to know where I would have actually finished had I come right back to the race and ran to the finish. Due to the subsequent backlash regarding this situation, no situations like this will be allowed to occur again going forward, under any circumstances. The final results screen will be the sole source for final results, barring any time penalties that might need to be added for dirty driving, corner cutting, etc.

As there is a large gap between 11th and 12th place in the points, I am going to extend the Chase field from 10 places to 11 places for this season, so that every full time driver gets in, and no one can blame the results of this race for their Chase exclusion. Next season, the Chase field will be reduced back to 10 places. This should make this a non-issue going forward.

Also, you might notice I posted the results and updated standings following all three of the past events in the updated second post of the thread. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6031056#post6031056

The next race is in January, so I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas, and a happy new year.

My placement of third is going to stand, because it's impossible to know where I would have actually finished had I come right back to the race and ran to the finish. Due to the subsequent backlash regarding this situation, no situations like this will be allowed to occur again going forward, under any circumstances. The final results screen will be the sole source for final results, barring any time penalties that might need to be added for dirty driving, corner cutting, etc.

Officially leaving the series, then.

MÜLE_9242;6360942
Officially leaving the series, then.

Wow, that seems a little extreme. Especially considering you weren't even in that race in question.

Well, in my opinion, it's a bit extreme that a host would insert himself in a podium position in a race he didn't finish, then tell everyone else "no, you can't do that."

Because I decided to do some Christmas shopping instead of race is irrelevant, frankly.

Drop receiving third place doesn't effect the field and he's extending the seats to eleven. So idc anymore about his points, I need to focus on my own racing. And its a good thing this happened bc we all have an understanding of rules now. But I'm afraid it might start a trend, like if my son has a disaster in the middle of a race and I pull over I'm gonna b pist that I won't b able to get a freebie, but ill take it from there if that happens. Bc at that point it will seem unfair. But let's hope none of us get screwed like that. Bad thing is someone will n they will want a freebie too. I just hope this doesn't leave a bad taste in anyones mouth. Bc when someone else will b in need, they r gonna get screwed. Which isn't right. Well either way idc I'm in the chase, poins will reset n we all take it from there anyways. On another note, its been good racn guys!

And after thinking about it, since drops points don't really affect anyone.....why wouldn't he take 9th and at least set a good example n not bend the rules like mule was saying. I guess this is why I have a problem with this. That's all. Ill c u guys at suzuka

Last edited:
This has all got out if hand over such a silly reason. In support if Drop he did negotiate with those willing to respond, a fair position considering how long left.

Let's all put it down to a learning curve and all understand that it won't happen again. Drop has tried to make things right by including all that were fighting for a Chase spot (even though I still believe it should be only 6 or 8 drivers qualify, whether I'm in or not).

If it was anyone else in Drops position I am certain he would have been the first to agree.

Remember as well that Drop took a place from himself at Sarthe, even though no one complained about his shunt into me and Crazy.

Mule, I think that you are using this as an excuse to quit as you are now not going to make the Chase, just my opinion but does come across as a bit childish even with you not actually racing on Saturday.

End of topic, everyone happy, it won't happen again and didn't effect anyone this time (other than my podium finish).

Good Christmas and New Year to all.

Well, I'm going to post my predictions on who's gonna win the championships this year to stir up some debate. These opinions are solely those of Chqr.

Drivers' (Overall): 1. Homeslice, 2. Knelly, 3. NIOP, 4. MustangRyan, 5. ACDC
Teams': 1. Hendrick, 2. Joe Gibbs, 3. Ford, 4. Red Bull, 5. Stewart-Ganassi
Manufacturers': 1. Chevy, 2. Toyota, 3. Ford

I predict the Hendrick boys will crack under the chase pressure this season with Knelly and Homeslice coming from Toyota and Ford to end Chevy domination this year. I feel that Hendrick might crack during the chase time and allow everyone else to catch-up. I suspect that consistency in the chase is more important this season than any other time because of how competitive the field is and how large showings have been. I come to the conclusion that Homeslice with no wins in the regular season will continue his outstanding consistency to take the crown. Knelly who runs strongly on the ovals will finish a worthy runner up because of an oval filled chase and NIOP will maintain Hendrick's respect, honour and integrity with third.

Due to Hendrick's, what seems to be enormous library of setups, will take the Teams' Championship as they are a strong unit on and off the racetrack and as a result lead Chevy to a Manufacturers' championship.

I also would also love to see M-Stall and CrazyBasist grab a win before the season's out for their tremendous efforts and consistent form week in, week out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back