GTP NASCAR Nationwide Series // Season Report/Points // Champions!

• Thread starter Chqr
  • 1,868 comments

Should we race at SSRX this season?

• Yes

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One movement to the left or right is perfectly legal. Although, if you have not cleared the driver behind so the end up spinning yourself out or skidding off his bumper. There will be no punishment dealt to the driver who was being blocked.

Cutting across another driver's line is in theory unacceptable. If the car behind you has already committed to slipstream past, it will be frowned upon and if this is done consistently or to an extent that causes a wreck to the driver who was being blocked, penalties will be introduced.

There wasn't much in the way of wrecking but nudging which is again acceptable to a point.

It didn't cause a wreck (I wouldn't have been 2nd if it did) but I started wondering about this because it came quite suddenly and I was forced to brake to avoid bigger contact.

JRM and DamageNano have parted ways. I will be filling in for the remaining races.

Perfectly cool.

Looking ahead, I'm sure Daytona next weekend will be a bonanza.

No surprise if Tom and Joe come back for this one given their stella form earlier in the season at Daytona. Niop obviously is back. I wouldn't be surprised to see Drop perhaps come in too.

As long as we don't have a stupid wreck within the first 5 laps, I will be a happy man. There was not much in the way of wrecks at HSR but the first lap and parade lap were not favourable by any means.

Remember, you cannot drop the season finale at Indianapolis so the Indy race is compulsory for all drivers. This means that if you do not turn up, the race at Indianapolis will NOT count as one of your two dropped races.

Just my opinion, but, I don't really see very much wrong with a little blocking. This is NASCAR after all, as long as we're not putting each-other into the wall lap after lap, I personally don't see a problem with being a little defensive of our positions.

We're out there to win, and a lot of us are hungry to do so. Just my opinion.

GTP NASCAR Power Rankings:

1. RFLX_Niop - The 2-time defending GTP Sprint Cup champion is just hitting his stride, gearing up for a third straight run at the Sprint Cup title. Niop pulled off a perfect sweep this weekend, winning from the pole, while leading the most laps in the Sprint Cup race at HSR. Niop is one-for-one, with a race win in his only NW start, at Suzuka East two weeks ago. He is again dominating qualifying, with 3 poles in 4 starts.
Trending UP

2. JoeOfTheFire - Joe continues his strong-and-steady march to the Chase, racking up his 2nd runner-up position this season in the Sprint Cup at HSR. Joe has also dominated in the NW, when he has participated. He has 2 wins and 5 total podiums in his 6 starts.
Trending STEADY

3. TRYNOR88 - TRYNOR is making a huge run in the Nationwide Series, in the hopes of passing Carbonox for the title with only 2 races remaining. TRYNOR got his second win of the season this past weekend at HSR. He has 5 podium finishes in NW, and a 4th place finish in relief of Niop at Monza in the Sprint Cup.
Trending UP

4. Droptop2001gt - The current Sprint Cup points leader had a very rough outing at HSR, greatly hurting his individual and team standings in the process. However, he's the current Sprint Cup points leader. Drop is currently in position to lead the points after the Chase starts with his 2 race wins thus far in season 3. He also has 1 Nationwide win this season.
Trending DOWN

5. Carbonox - the current Nationwide points leader has been steady the entire season, mostly unchallenged at the top, until the last few weeks. Carbon is in the top 5 every single week, but he might need race wins to hold off Trynor as the Nationwide series comes to a close.
Trending STEADY

6. Knelly - Another in the camp of steady at the top, much like Joe and Carbon this season. Knelly had a subpar outing at HSR by his own high standards, but should be very pleased with his one race win and 2nd overall placement this deep into the regular season.
Trending STEADY

7. MULE_9242 - Mule has had a great season this year in both top series, winning the season-opening Daytona race in the Nationwide series, and beating Joe for a win on a road course in the Sprint Cup, taking the trophy at Monza. If not for a little bad luck, he could be as high as 2nd overall in the Sprint Cup points right now.
Trending STEADY

8. GTP_Litchi - Litchi was a late addition to the Nationwide series, but he is showing a lot of speed in a hurry. He already has two wins in just 5 NW starts, and might have had a third win if not for disconnecting at Darlington. In his first career Sprint Cup start, he put his Red Bull car on the podium. The only two cars in front of him belonged to Niop and Joe, the two winningest road-course drivers in the history of our Sprint Cup series.
Trending UP

9. ACDCROCKS123 - ACDC has perhaps the most skill in the field, but attendance issues will probably derail his chances in the Chase, if they aren't resolved. If he shows up to race, he's an odds-on favorite to compete at the very top of the standings.
Trending DOWN

10. Smuffyatfcp - Smuffy looked almost unstoppable when the NW season started, finishing second, second, and first in his first three starts. He has cooled off some since then, and missed a few races. But, his ability to drive very well is undeniable.
Trending DOWN

Also considered: Dowhat13, Tom_97_COD, Nater_Racing21, Mudd

I am lovin' these Power Rankings.

Hopefully this will almost give unofficial 'seeding' for team owners to pick their drivers.

I think I've decided on how I'm going to run the ownership draft for Season 4 of the GTP NASCAR Sprint Cup.

The 8 Chase drivers will have the option to claim ownership of a team or pass on team ownership, based on their final points position order.

After the top 8 Chase drivers, the next 3 choices will belong to the top 3 finishers in the Nationwide Series standings.

After that will be the remaining Sprint Cup drivers from 9th to 12th in points, in order of the final standings.

If the draft is still going, we will finish by going down the remaining Nationwide standings, starting at position #4.

So, this is what the draft order will look like:

1. Sprint Cup Series Champion
2. Sprint Cup points runner-up
3. Sprint Cup third overall
4. Sprint Cup fourth overall
5. Sprint Cup fifth overall
6. Sprint Cup sixth overall
7. Sprint Cup seventh overall
8. Sprint Cup eighth overall
9. Nationwide Series Champion
10. Nationwide Series runner-up
11. Nationwide Series third overall
12. Sprint Cup 9th overall
13. Sprint Cup 10th overall
14. Sprint Cup 11th overall
15. Sprint Cup 12th overall
16. Nationwide Series fourth overall
17. Nationwide Series fifth overall
18. Nationwide Series sixth overall
19. Nationwide Series seventh overall
20. Nationwide Series eighth overall
etc...

Remember, the draft is over as soon as the five Sprint Cup teams have a team owner. It could be over after just 5 people, if they all accept an ownership role with a team. Or, it could take as long as 15-20 people, if lots of drivers pass up on the chance to own a team, like last season.

Also, we do not yet know if the Sprint Cup owners for season 4 will own their respective Nationwide teams. That will be decided by the top 11 or so drivers once the drafting order is known, but before the draft begins.

I have 2 races to get to 12th place so I can be in the draft I might be able to do it I just have to win the next to races

Last season, it took 13 picks before ownership of the fifth and final Sprint Cup team was claimed, as eight drivers passed up the chance to own a team. With the addition of the top 3 Nationwide drivers moved to draft picks 9 through 11, I don't think we'll ever need 13 picks again to get five teams owned. The top 3 Nationwide drivers should be pretty eager to claim Sprint Cup team ownership (other than Carb, as he has stated SC conflicts with his schedule), as it allows them to guarantee their own seat in the Sprint Cup.

Well I'm gonna be giving it my all the next to weeks so I have a shot a having one of the owners pick me up

Just to make it clear, james.

The draft is for the Sprint Cup so if you do not have the opportunity to drive in the Sprint Cup, you can still drive in the Nationwide if you owners pick you.

There is no Nationwide Draft. The team owners pick drivers irrespective of points standings or history in the Nationwide.

Nationwide S2 Thread going live soon.

Chqr

The draft is for the Sprint Cup so if you do not have the opportunity to drive in the Sprint Cup, you can still drive in the Nationwide if you owners pick you.

There is no Nationwide Draft. The team owners pick drivers irrespective of points standings or history.

Sorry guess I miss understood the draft

There is no Nationwide Draft. The team owners pick drivers irrespective of points standings or history in the Nationwide.

In this case, what does 'soon' equal to? :sly:

In this case, what does 'soon' equal to? :sly:

You'll be very, very, very, very, very surprised.

Literally in an hour to two hours time away.

Just typing up quite a bit of random stuff.

EDIT: Of course, the field and calendar are subject to a lot of changes.

I'll just clarify a few things for the new drivers I know want to be in Nationwide like gokartman, gorsad, Stormtrooper and Jedijoe to namea few.

Oh right, as some people may have noticed, I have received a boost of motivation to continue in NASCAR despite the large amount of tuning involved, but just like Furi, I won't reveal my plans yet. :)

Oh right, as some people may have noticed, I have received a boost of motivation to continue in NASCAR despite the large amount of tuning involved, but just like Furi, I won't reveal my plans yet. :)

No concerns. 👍

No clash with TOCA will bring in some more really quality drivers next season. 40minute-1hour races will be quite favourable for most drivers I believe.

You've got a season full of experience of setups in Nationwide so you're set for S2 if you wish to run again. 👍

Really happy with this year.

Chqr
No concerns. 👍

No clash with TOCA will bring in some more really quality drivers next season. 40minute-1hour races will be quite favourable for most drivers I believe.

You've got a season full of experience of setups in Nationwide so you're set for S2 if you wish to run again. 👍

Me to I just wish I would have competed more often maybe for season 2 of both my Rolex series and this I will put it on my family calendar so everyone knows when I race

If it wasn't for your time zone preventing you from participating in the Sprint Cup, I would absolutely be recommending you to move immediately to the Sprint Cup for season 4. Since the time zone does present problems for you, I think you should absolutely be looking at coming back to Nationwide for season 2, and looking to dominate. I expect that Smuffy and Trynor will move up to Sprint Cup (if they wish to do so), and that will make it even harder for anyone to beat you in season 2, based on what we've seen this season. You have shown great speed and consistency, and will obviously improve with more experience and more tuning skill (or team-shared tunes). I think you'll be the first guy each owner contacts to fill their first seat in the Nationwide series.

If it wasn't for your time zone preventing you from participating in the Sprint Cup, I would absolutely be recommending you to move immediately to the Sprint Cup for season 4. Since the time zone does present problems for you, I think you should absolutely be looking at coming back to Nationwide for season 2, and looking to dominate. I expect that Smuffy and Trynor will move up to Sprint Cup (if they wish to do so), and that will make it even harder for anyone to beat you in season 2, based on what we've seen this season. You have shown great speed and consistency, and will obviously improve with more experience and more tuning skill (or team-shared tunes). I think you'll be the first guy each owner contacts to fill their first seat in the Nationwide series.

Because I'm going on holiday, where I'm more than likely to stay up for a long while at night without feeling sleepy, it is still possible that I can do individual SC races before and during the Chase, though a full-time seat at S4 can't really be expected when, no matter how one changes it up, the races do begin at midnight.

Likewise I will stay away from any races stretching to 2 or 3 hours. I have only once stayed up till 3 in the morning, but that was when playing SR3 on co-op. I can't imagine being able to do the same when driving the same old oval track over and over again. :scared:

No concerns. 👍

I'm interested to see if this new start time (not opposing TOCA) gets Furi to try his hand in Nationwide next season. I think Crazy was thinking about joining Nationwide next season, if his new work schedule allowed him to do so. There should be some pretty solid NW-only drivers ready to go for season 2.

EDIT - It would also be cool to see a Nationwide-only driver own a Sprint Cup team in season 5. Would Crazy or Furi consider operating a Sprint Cup team even if they weren't driving for it?

Actually, would Carb consider doing this for season 4? It would allow him to drive part-time in SC, and have another part-time driver fill in for him in the races he can't make it to. That would be pretty cool to see. Nothing says the owner has to drive for his own Sprint Cup team (see M-Stall41 and Crazy_Bassist this season).

MustangRyan
I'm interested to see if this new start time (not opposing TOCA) gets Furi to try his hand in Nationwide next season. I think Crazy was thinking about joining Nationwide next season, if his new work schedule allowed him to do so. There should be some pretty solid NW-only drivers ready to go for season 2.

I am for season 2 I am aiming for 1st

EDIT - It would also be cool to see a Nationwide-only driver own a Sprint Cup team in season 5. Would Crazy or Furi consider operating a Sprint Cup team even if they weren't driving for it?

Actually, would Carb consider doing this for season 4? It would allow him to drive part-time in SC, and have another part-time driver fill in for him in the races he can't make it to. That would be pretty cool to see. Nothing says the owner has to drive for his own Sprint Cup team (see M-Stall41 and Crazy_Bassist this season).

At first glance, I'd believe it's more than odd to have me in charge of a bunch of SC drivers who probably make the Chase this season, even if I'm likely going to be champion or runner-up in NW, as my current SC experience is limited to 2 rounds (with 10th and 8th places) and my knowledge about any differences in tuning capabilities are at zero.

I am for season 2 I am aiming for 1st

I am assuming you also want a chance to drive for a Sprint Cup team first, if possible. I'm talking about guys who already know they can't (or won't) do the Sprint Cup next season, and would make the Nationwide series their first and only priority for next season. I think most of the drivers, outside of maybe Carb, Crazy, and Furi, are aiming for the Sprint Cup, and keeping the Nationwide Series as a plan B.

At first glance, I'd believe it's more than odd to have me in charge of a bunch of SC drivers who probably make the Chase this season, even if I'm likely going to be champion or runner-up in NW, as my current SC experience is limited to 2 rounds (with 10th and 8th places) and my knowledge about any differences in tuning capabilities are at zero.

Nothing says you can't own the Sprint Cup and Nationwide teams, even though you plan on driving for the Nationwide championship and maybe dabbling in a few Sprint Cup races. The owner's job is to assemble the best team of drivers he can, in hopes of winning the owner's championship.

Nothing says you have to drive in the Sprint Cup, or provide tunes to your drivers. You might be a very appealing owner to a guy like Joe, who has said he wants to not own a team next season. Joe is a very capable driver, and he would be able to provide his team with tunes, if wanted/needed. Just something to consider.

I know with my new work schedule NW will be out of the question if it keeps the same time slot. As I have been promoted to a new position, which requires saturdays. But it is a salaried job. So I am aiming for a SC seat next season.

Nothing says you can't own the Sprint Cup and Nationwide teams, even though you plan on driving for the Nationwide championship and maybe dabbling in a few Sprint Cup races. The owner's job is to assemble the best team of drivers he can, in hopes of winning the owner's championship.

Nothing says you have to drive in the Sprint Cup, or provide tunes to your drivers. You might be a very appealing owner to a guy like Joe, who has said he wants to not own a team next season. Joe is a very capable driver, and he would be able to provide his team with tunes, if wanted/needed. Just something to consider.

I'd be looking to get tunes from others next season, as mine are outdated/not good enough. I often feel like I'm out-driving the setups to get good results. HSR was an example of this. My setup was worse than Niop's. I managed to get close to his pole time, but as soon as I lost his draft in the race, I'd knew I'd fall back quickly. I was also holding him up in the esses whenever I was in front. If Homeslice hadn't given me his Indy and Daytona setups, I'd still be using my original setups from the end of 2010 on those tracks.

Next season I'd be hoping for the team to help me out with better road course and Daytona tunes.

MustangRyan
I am assuming you also want a chance to drive for a Sprint Cup team first, if possible. I'm talking about guys who already know they can't (or won't) do the Sprint Cup next season, and would make the Nationwide series their first and only priority for next season. I think most of the drivers, outside of maybe Carb, Crazy, and Furi, are aiming for the Sprint Cup, and keeping the Nationwide Series as a plan B.

No I'm staying here for a few more seasons until I get a championship or until a Sprint cup team picks me up

I'd be looking to get tunes from others next season, as mine are outdated/not good enough. I often feel like I'm out-driving the setups to get good results. HSR was an example of this. My setup was worse than Niop's. I managed to get close to his pole time, but as soon as I lost his draft in the race, I'd knew I'd fall back quickly. I was also holding him up in the esses whenever I was in front. If Homeslice hadn't given me his Indy and Daytona setups, I'd still be using my original setups from the end of 2010 on those tracks.

Next season I'd be hoping for the team to help me out with better road course and Daytona tunes.

I've noticed Joe. At first I had no idea what worked on theses cars. But now after doing enough testing I'm starting to figure it out. Now if I had the knowledge or experience of say Niop/ACDC I would be fine. I just want a SC seat as it fits me better, Short races are not for me. Longer is better.

I've done quite a bit of trial and error with these cars now, but there's still a lot about tuning that I don't completely understand. I do some unorthodox things in my tunes, things that people don't generally like. Usually when I give out a tune people don't like it very much, and they adjust it to fit them better.

Latest Posts

Back