GTP NASCAR SPRINT CUP S3 Champs: RFLX_Niop, Joe Gibbs Racing, Toyota

• Thread starter MustangRyan
  • 3,094 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Furinkazen
Have best race finish result in standings outside of chase? So for example if an 11th place driver gets a 2nd place, yet 10th doesn't, he's in?

Isn't that how ACDC's win is being scored now, as the 10th place driver with a win that the eighth and ninth place drivers can't match?

Furinkazen
Otherwise its like NASCAR giving Regan Smith a chase spot last year for winning Darlington.

Had Regan Smith been in the top 20 in points, and no one else above him had more wins, he would have been the wild card. David Ragan and Marcos Ambrose nearly got in the Chase with just one win. Denny Hamlin did get in as the second wild card with just a single win.

Last edited:
I don't think that's a good comparison. Those drivers made an effort to show for the races, even tried their hearts out to score points.

I like the 'most wins wild card' format, I only dislike the fact that it's too easy to be eligible for the wild card. I feel it should be there for someone who actually wants it and will appreciate it.

Last edited:
Here's the problem I see here. There is no way to have a true nascar comparison with only being able to have less than a quarter of the field during a race. Your comparing true nascar to the top three to make the race and have a fourth wildcard spot for someone with a win and be in the top 6 in points or be 4th with the highest amount of points. This is what I am getting from reading the responses. I see where you are coming from but this is the only thing I can think of and nobody would win from it.

Maybe Drop could put a couple of options together and save them until we have the new team owners for S4 all confirmed, with it going to a vote.

Speaking of that, and not being a team owner, I've missed the TO PM's from the Host this season, if there have been any at all.

If Ford Racing has any empty seats for the 400 I will be pleased to fill in.

GTPlanetIndyCarLogoFORS2BYR1600Turbo.png

GTP IndyCar Series Link

It's Indy 500 week and we want as many people involved as possible. There's two shorter races during the week we'd love you to participate in and you can even attempt to qualify for the Indianapolis 500 race which will take place on Friday night. For more info on the Fight Before The 500, The Freedom 100, Indy 500 qualifying and the Indianapolis 500, check out the link above and post in the thread. All are welcome!

Thanks to Drop for the plug.

Indy 500 Week Schedule

Tuesday - Fight Before The 500 40 + 1 laps (Room up - 22:30BST | Quali - 23:00BST | Green Flag - 23:30BST

Wednesday/Thursday - Qualifying Sessions (Rooms open from 22:00BST - 00:00BST)

Friday - Indy Lights Firestone Freedom 100 - 40 + 1 laps (Room up - 19:00BST | Green Flag - 20:00BST)

Friday - Final Qualifying (Room open from 21:00BST - 22:00BST)

Friday - Indianapolis 500 Mile Race 200 laps (Free Practice - 22:30BST | Green Flag - 23:30BST)​

GTP NASCAR Power Rankings:

1. RFLX_Niop - The 2-time defending GTP Sprint Cup champion is on a roll, setting up his run for a third straight Sprint Cup title. Niop started his weekend by pushing TRYNOR88 to victory in the Nationwide race at Daytona, joining a parade of 3 SGR cars on the podium with excellent pit strategy and execution. Niop followed that up by doing his best Kevin Harvick impersonation in the Sprint Cup race, laying back all day and jumping to the front just in time to win the race at the end, going 188 miles without stopping for fuel or tires at SSRX and claiming his second Sprint Cup victory in a row.
Trending UP

2. TRYNOR88 - TRYNOR took command of the Nationwide series points lead this weekend, taking Carbonox out of first place for the first time in seven weeks. TRYNOR got his third Nationwide win of the season this past weekend at Daytona, leading a pack of SGR cars to the top 3 finishing positions. Heading into the season finale at Indy, he's the heavy favorite to win the title, especially if Niop shows up to team up with him again.
Trending UP

3. JoeOfTheFire - Joe continues his strong-and-steady march to the Chase, racking up his 3rd runner-up position this season in the Sprint Cup race at SS Route X. Joe has also dominated in the NW, when he has participated. He has 2 wins and 5 total podiums in his 6 starts. Yes, Joe is so steady, that I merely copied and pasted last week's bit and updated the number of 2nd place finishes from 2 to 3.
Trending STEADY

4. Droptop2001gt - The current Sprint Cup points leader saw his fortunes improve greatly from last week, leading the most laps and finishing 3rd at SS Route X. Drop is the current Sprint Cup points leader with only one race to go, but is now tied with Niop at 2 race victories each. Unless one of these two win at Indy, they will start the Chase as co-leaders in the standings. You can expect that both drivers will go all out to win in an attempt to take the Pre-Chase lead in points.
Trending UP

5. MULE_9242 - Mule had a bad day for himself at Daytona in the Nationwide race, but watched his Red Bull team post a solid 4th and 5th behind the SGR team that simply outpaced the field for the top 3 spots. In the Cup race, Mule's fortunes reversed, as a late wreck vaulted him in to the top 5 of the finishing order, solidifying his Chase spot for season 3.
Trending STEADY

6. Carbonox - The long-time Nationwide points leader picked a bad week to have his worst race result of the Nationwide season. Carb got passed for the points lead this week by TRYNOR at Daytona. Carb's steady attendance for the entire season paid off though, as he was able to drop his result from Daytona, helping to keep the title in his sights in next week's finale at Indy. Carb made up for his rough Nationwide outing by posting a solid 6th place finish at SS Route X in relief of Mudd in the Sprint Cup race.
Trending STEADY

7. GTP_Litchi - Litchi continued to show good pace in this weekend's Nationwide Race, carrying the banner for Red Bull Racing with a 4th place finish at Daytona. One can only wonder how the Nationwide Championship battle might look today had Litchi joined the series in time for the first race of the season. He's 5th in the Nationwide points, despite carrying three results of 0 points.
Trending UP

8. Knelly - Knelly had a great outing at SS Route X, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the final results. Knelly finished outside of the top 10 due to an accident in the last turn while racing for the lead with RedPartyHat. This was Knelly's second straight race where he definitely left without as many points as he deserved. However, Knelly has accumulated enough points that he has still secured his own spot in the Chase. Knelly has had a very solid regular season, highlighted by HIS PODIUM FINISH AT MONZA IN WEEK THREE! His race victory at Indy earlier this season should give him high hopes as the series returns for the regular season finale in the Brickyard 400.
Trending DOWN

9. RedPartyHat - RedPartyHat showed a lot of promise in the Bud Shootout, posting a third place finish that should have been a top 2, if not for an unnecessary tangle with Dexterwhite5150. Since then, RedpartyHat has not shown the same flash, pairing good runs with finishes that didn't reflect his actual talent. With Dowhat and Mudd employing substitute drivers this past weekend, RedPartyHat saw his opportunity to close the gap on the drivers ahead of him and took advantage in a big way. He finished 4th, which was a slight disappointment, considering he was running door-to-door with Knelly for the race lead going into turn 4 on the last lap. His 4th place was his best finish in a points race this season, and vaulted him into the Top 7 in points for the first time this season. You can expect that RPH and Tom are going to have a great battle for the 7th and final Chase position at Indy this weekend.
Trending UP

10. ACDCROCKS123 - ACDC won the pre-season Bud Shootout, the Daytona 500, pushed Droptop to victory in week 2 at Indy, and recorded a top 5 in the Coca Cola 600 that could have been a top 2 had he not crashed with a few laps left in the race. Since then, his biggest accomplishment is creating a frenzied discussion among the drivers about the relative merits of the current wild card system. There's no doubt that ACDC is good enough to win the Sprint Cup Championship. The real question is, will he show up to try?
Trending DOWN

Also considered: Tom_97_COD, Nater_Racing21, D4LVY_, smuffyatfcp

Still gutted I left three crucial Chase points out there at SSRX. And finally got the Monza credit ;)

Another great write up Drop, I like this trending focus.

Guys, start think about early SPRINT nominations to this point please. I'm going to post something when I sober up that's a bit more official for you all.

Meh, I dropped one place. :indiff:

In all honesty, can't expect to remain 5th after finishing 7th and 6th last week, but I guess my ego got a burst when I saw myself in 5th last time. :D

Well I least I was considered :lol:

Got that right Drop, me and RPH should have a good battle for the last chase spot. Great work on the rankings again 👍

Wasn't considered.. :( then again I did have a bad week.. :dopey:

Matty
Wasn't considered.. :( then again I did have a bad week.. :dopey:

If it makes you feel any better, nine of the top ten have won a race, as have two of the four others considered for the tenth spot.

Can someone please help me figure out how too attach a .jpg I have saved on my PC?

Thanks in advance 👍

EDIT : Got it, thanks

If the attachment option in the advanced message tools doesn't work, you'd have to upload it to a a photo sharing site like Photobucket and enter the URL from there.

If it makes you feel any better, nine of the top ten have won a race, as have two of the four others considered for the tenth spot.

Ah I'll be there next week when I win every Indy race ;)

You win the 500 and I'll make you our #1 driver.

Okay, and can I be immortalised if I win all Indy races and then the Dan Wheldon memorial?

Okay, and can I be immortalised if I win all Indy races and then the Dan Wheldon memorial?

I'll put a 3D replication of your face on a trophy and get the ferry over to Ireland to deliver it to you.

One step at a time. There's still 1100 miles to be run this weekend.

Ah I'll be there next week when I win every Indy race ;)

Every Indy race eh? That's: The Fight Before The 500, The Freedom 100, The Indy 500, The Brickyard 400, and The Brickyard 200. Good luck with that... :dopey:

TheSprintsLogo2.jpg

Most of you will recall the inaugural Sprint Awards for S2, and would like to remind you all that we will be having the same for S3 once the Chase is over.

However, we have no nominations in yet, and with more categories this year, I thought it might be a good idea to remind people so that the can get some early nominations locked in before we all forgot.

Series 3 Sprint Award Categories and Past Winners

Here's a few from me:

Race Comeback : Knelly at Indy 125. Falling back six seconds from the pack on first lap, working back to, and through, the field to not only lead the most laps, but take a convincing win.

Race Battle : SGR v Gibbs at Daytona 500. Battle of the pit strategies with Gibbs having the extra car, prevailing.

Joe v Mule at Monza. Again differing pit strategies didn't decide this one till late in the race.

Joe v Niop at HSR. Battle pursued from start to (almost) finish, after Joe scraped a couple of walls in the closing laps.

Most Improved : This will be from the following
Drop, Niop, Joe, Knelly, ACDC, Mudd, Crazy, Dowhat, Furi, Homeslice, MStall

Rookie : This will be from the following
Mule, Tom, RPH, Matty, Nater

Unluckiest : Knelly at SSRX, Tom who seems to be having a Jeff Gordon year.

Respected : Joe and Niop both up there for me. Any others?

Feared : Same two on Roads and ACDC on Ovals spring to mind.

Oval and Road drivers : As per above really

Drop, can you please place the above as early nominations to the OP, and also include the following S2 Winners for history and stats sake.

Rookie of the Season was Mstall
Rivalry of the Season was Crazy v Hendrick (ACDC took the title following a Dirty NASCAR race)
Unluckiest of the Season was Mudd
Most Improved of the Season was Niop
Race Comeback of the Season was Niop at Monza
Race Battle of the Season was Joe v Home at Indy

Looking forward to see what nominations if any some of you others have 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back