Question about Burnouts

• Thread starter ICEYOU
  • 86 comments

ICEYOU

(Banned)
United States
New York
I'm going to be a senior in High School, and I'm planning on doing donuts in my 1980 L-82 Chevy Corvette in the student parking lot on the last day of school before graduation. Can someone list me any harmful effects doing burnouts leaves in or on your car?

Last edited:
Senior High School student with an 80's corvette....right.

That's not the only problem I see either.

In my opinion just don't do it. You don't need to be that COOL kid that does a burnout after graduation and you shouldn't run the risk of looking like fool if your car does break down due to some sort of mechanical failure somewhere on the car.

It will leave rubber in the fenders, produce unnecessary tire and brake wear, cause more than normal strain on the drivetrain and if there is loose gravel you will launch it into other cars and people plus into your car's bodywork.
Bottom line: Don't do it.
EDIT: Also if you don't know how to do it and the car is a manual your clutch is done

It will leave rubber in the fenders, produce unnecessary tire and brake wear, cause more than normal strain on the drivetrain and if there is loose gravel you will launch it into other cars and people plus into your car's bodywork.
Bottom line: Don't do it.
EDIT: Also if you don't know how to do it and the car is a manual your clutch is done
Phew didn't think about the hitting people part, guess I won't do it now.

Don't do it. You might look cool to acouple of your friends, but to most people you'll just look like a tool. Don't waste the rubber you have and take care of the 'vette. Plus we had a kid that did this and he didn't walk for it.

I wouldn't do it. That would kinda be showing off and you'd potentially screw up you tires, brakes, clutch, and tie rods. I personally wouldn't want to be known as the cocky kid with a Corvette either.

If you want to make a smoke show, just do a brakestand. Don't try and do donuts around the parking lot. That being said, can a 1980 Corvette even DO a burnout?

Can someone list me any harmful effects doing burnouts leaves in or on your car?
It's not so much in or on your car as it is in or on you. Your school could probably refuse to release your academic transcript or any form of documentation that shows that you graduated high school. They could also probably get the police involved, who can suspend your licence, impound your car, and while I don't know what the exact laws in America are, down here they can crush your car (and bill you for it), so I'd say they could do the same or similar.

But otherwise, yeah, you should totally do it.

Please record it on video so we can all laugh when you slide in to a curb or someone's car. Heck it might even wind up on Tosh.O if you do it right.

Always practice awesome car stunts before you try them in a crowd of people, just to make sure you know how to do it. That's what I do.

Is it that hard to believe an 18yr old could be driving an early 80s vette, those cars are turds anyways, aren't they? Our school's parking lot was full of mustangs, camaros and firebirds, many of which were the v8 variants. It was also full of gravel so we let the trucks do their thing. Everybody in Dazed and Confused drove cool cars, that's gotta mean something.

I did my fair share at the age of 16-18 and I'm pretty sure I looked like a tool, you drive a Corvette so you already got that covered...

Just kidding. ;)

Don't do it. You might look cool to acouple of your friends, but to most people you'll just look like a tool. Don't waste the rubber you have and take care of the 'vette. Plus we had a kid that did this and he didn't walk for it.

I agree with this. Also, looking cool isn't worth the risk that the drivetrain or car could be damaged.

If you do decide to do this, I suggest doing it while drinking a Pabst Blue Ribbon, and make sure that "Cherry Pie" by Warrant is cranked up to 11.

Here is what you can expect on Graduation night:

HAY YALL WATCH THIS!!!!!!

AND THEN

Im still gonna call you on the 80's Vette. Pic please.

As said before, not that hard to believe. Some Senior chick at our school has a late '80s/early '90s Corvette. Also filled up her tires one day :D.

That and we have: 2 late '70s/mid '80s Camaros, 2 late '60s Mustangs (mine and another kid's whos car is a street-going drag car), many ricers (derp), and 2 or 3 previous-gen Mustangs. Depends on where you live I guess since other schools nearby have your typical Camerys (sp?), Jettas, Fusions, etc.

As for the topic: I suggest not doing it. If you really want to show off, just do a burnout and nothing more. Also, practice beforehand so you don't look like a 🤬 for screwing up and breaking down.

The car on the left is my dad's:)
HNI_0011.jpg

And why didn't you believe me? The 80's corvettes aren't that sought after for anyway.

EDIT:Sorry for the bad quality.

If you want to make a smoke show, just do a brakestand. Don't try and do donuts around the parking lot. That being said, can a 1980 Corvette even DO a burnout?
Well with 280hp maybe lol

And that right there makes me nervous!

Last edited:
Apologies. Here anything which says "Corvette" is gold, no matter how crap it is.

I've been lied to alot recently, so im feeling particularly cynical about everything.

Not a great idea. Take it from someone who was told off for doing Hot Laps around his school.

Damn son wish I had a Corvette.

I'd rather do a long-as-hell burnout instead of doughnuts personally, if I get a truck I'll do it last day of school you bet haha. 👍

Phew didn't think about the hitting people part, guess I won't do it now.

Dude graduates from highschool, drives a Corvette and doesn't think about pedestrians when tossing up whether or not to do a burnout in the school carpark. :P

Mate, I am sure you are a top bloke and all but this (^^) is painting a rather vivid picture...

Not a cool idea.

And that right there makes me nervous!
The school didn't even put him on their official grad list. He had to come in the following week and pick it up from the superintendent. At that point in time he didn't have his Mustang because his parents took it from him for it, and ruined his graduation. And that's just the best that could come out of it. You could slide into a car or person. Looking cool for a couple friends isn't worth the risks this carries. I know what high school parking lots are like. Mine only had a few cars that didn't have dents on them. Most of the dents were taken in that parking lot at low speeds. It only takes one person to not pay attention, be it you or someone else, to do some serious damage. And NOBODY pays attention in a high school parking lot.

One donut is most likely not going to blow your car up assuming you don't crash into something. If it does it was probably gonna happen soon anyways

Since when does an L82 make 280 hp?

My car has a few aftermarket parts in it.

You got balls for even posting a question like that here. The members went easy on you.

The school didn't even put him on their official grad list. He had to come in the following week and pick it up from the superintendent. At that point in time he didn't have his Mustang because his parents took it from him for it, and ruined his graduation. And that's just the best that could come out of it. You could slide into a car or person. Looking cool for a couple friends isn't worth the risks this carries. I know what high school parking lots are like. Mine only had a few cars that didn't have dents on them. Most of the dents were taken in that parking lot at low speeds. It only takes one person to not pay attention, be it you or someone else, to do some serious damage. And NOBODY pays attention in a high school parking lot.
Okay Okay I won't do it now.

hawkeye122

Not hard to believe... I graduated from a high school .that had little over 400 kids total (small country town in Alabama go figure) and you know the drill juniors and seniors are only allowed to drive... Well my senior year here was some of the cars... This girl was a junior and her mom and dad bought her a brand new 2011 Comaro and another junior or senior had a brand new 2011 Mustang GT... Another guy had a Hummer H3... There were also kids that had brand new trucks and classic muscle cars... One ever had a hummer a beautiful 1965 Mustang candy apple red black vinyl hard top... So him owning a vette i would believe it...

And to yes don't do the doughnuts not to mention if you do hit something even of you flee with the attention you are going to get the school's cameras won't even need to get your description... What me and some of my friends did was put one of our friends cars on i think it was 10 safety jacks with the back and front wheels off the ground just enough so they wouldn't be touching but didn't look like they were off the ground... After we watched him puzzled we left. He had to call road side assistance for them to bring a jack to get his car of the safety jacks... I thought it was funny

Latest Posts

Back