Question about Burnouts

• Thread starter ICEYOU
  • 86 comments
Just because its the last day of school doesn't mean they wont get you for vandalism. Trust me, i know a guy who had drug paraphernalia 10 days before graduation, and they held him back on for one more year. The irony is, he became a Anatomy teacher!

Bunch'o whimps on here! Light those tires up!! Just make sure you have a limited slip rear end, there aren't any cops around, and you don't run over anyone. Burnouts are far from the most damaging thing you can do to your car. I'd unbolt the exhaust after the manifolds so it sounds xxtra nasty too.

Just because its the last day of school doesn't mean they wont get you for vandalism. Trust me, i know a guy who had drug paraphernalia 10 days before graduation, and they held him back on for one more year. The irony is, he became a Anatomy teacher!

Can they really hold you back a full year for something like that? I guess they did but as far as I can remember the only real requirement for graduating was a certain number of credits and the right ones, I barely managed to get them. If he was eligible already all he would have to do is show up and hang out? Doesn't sound like too bad of a gig to me. :)

I'm going to be a senior in High School, and I'm planning on doing donuts in my 1980 L-82 Chevy Corvette in the student parking lot on the last day of school before graduation. Can someone list me any harmful effects doing burnouts leaves in or on your car?

Would you mind providing some (better) proof of this 1980 Corvette that you drive?

A picture of the car with a sign showing "ICEYOU GTP" would do just fine.

As a reminder, point 4 of our AUP states -

AUP
You will not knowingly post any material that is false, misleading, or inaccurate.

That's without mentioning the fact that your profile suggests you are in New York, while you post from a place that, well, isn't New York.

Last edited:
I'm going to be a senior in High School, and I'm planning on doing donuts in my 1980 L-82 Chevy Corvette in the student parking lot on the last day of school before graduation. Can someone list me any harmful effects doing burnouts leaves in or on your car?

The Police.

Unless they don't care over there, if you get caught doing burnouts in NZ you can get your car impounded for 30 days or more.

EDK
Would you mind providing some (better) proof of this 1980 Corvette that you drive?

Here you go, pretty ain't she?
HNI_0011.jpg

EDK
That's without mentioning the fact that your profile suggests you are in New York, while you post from a place that, well, isn't New York.
I from new york bro.

Here you go, why do you need a picture?
HNI_0011.jpg

That's the same pic. He wants you to write down your name or something and stick it next to the car so we can see it. Some people make crazy claims so we can't believe everything we read.

EDK

Here you go!
HNI_0012.jpg

Is it really that hard to believe that a 17 year-old has a Vette? lol

I don't either considering a few of my friends have owned older Mustangs and Trans Ams. But when someone says Corvette they always think the newer stuff and then no matter what the year people want proof.

ICEYOU
Here you go!

No like i said before i went to a small Alabama high school that i attended from 10th grade to graduation... And many kids had these crazy cars... Don't know if you bought your vette or your parents bought it but i know that these kids couldn't afford these cars so mom and dad had to be buying them... But either way not the point... No not hard to believe... Intact the high school i went to where i lived in Michigan some kids had brand new cars too and nice classics... I don't know why it is so hard for some to believe you drive that... But anyway nice car just take good care of it.

Slashfan
I don't either considering a few of my friends have owned older Mustangs and Trans Ams. But when someone says Corvette they always think the newer stuff and then no matter what the year people want proof.

Really the year isn't either... Like is said seen many with brand new Mustangs and Camaros... I honestly wouldn't even try to prove anything... You can either take my work for it or believe what i have to say... I am a honest person why lie... So if people don't take my word for something i enjoy laughing at ignorance...

But anyway i wouldn't do that in the parking lot... Like i said great way to get a ticket for reckless driving... Talked to a friend about this he said his younger brother just did a huge burnout at his high school parking lot (his brother was one year younger) for his graduation in May... He got the cops called buy the high school... They got his plate and everything... The cops pulled him over a few miles down the road and gave him these tickets
1. Reckless driving
2. Reckless indangermennt
3. Speeding in a school soon

He said about $1700 and a suspended licence was the result... Not saying this will happen to you but it could just think about it...

Last edited:
No like i said before i went to a small Alabama high school that i attended from 10th grade to graduation... And many kids had these crazy cars... Don't know if you bought your vette or your parents bought it but i know that these kids couldn't afford these cars so mom and dad had to be buying them... But either way not the point... No not hard to believe... Intact the high school i went to where i lived in Michigan some kids had brand new cars too and nice classics... I don't know why it is so hard for some to believe you drive that... But anyway nice car just take good care of it

Should see what the wealthy exchange students got around in at my old school. :crazy:

Practice 1st on a water soaked surface, and if you can, fit a worn out / almost bald rear tires, it makes burnout a whole lot easier and less strain on the car. Just make sure you know how to handle car with spinning rear tires, and do it the right way.

Just a question, how much torque does your car produce ? Is it well maintained mechanically ? Might do some check up before doing burnout, most importantly : don't get caught :)

Practice 1st on a water soaked surface, and if you can, fit a worn out / almost bald rear tires, it makes burnout a whole lot easier and less strain on the car. Just make sure you know how to handle car with spinning rear tires, and do it the right way.

Just a question, how much torque does your car produce ? Is it well maintained mechanically ? Might do some check up before doing burnout, most importantly : don't get caught :)

Since he says he has some bolts ons and it does about 280hp I wouldn't imagine it being much more than 300ft-lbs

Here you go!
HNI_0012.jpg

No, it's not. But that combined with your posting style/posting history compelled me to ask the question.

I'm also curious to understand which aftermarket parts have been added to your car that add 50 HP to the stock output?

A showroom stock L-86 had 230 HP with 275 ft. lbs. of torque.

http://www.vettefacts.com/C3/1980.aspx

Not without some serious work... maybe heads, cam etc... By the looks of it you (OP) should focus on getting it out from underneath some blankets. Do you drive the car every day? I usually don't tuck my cars into bed every night. Some, but not all.

It's not hard to add 50 whp to one of those engines.

Ding ding ding. Smog motors are easy to get mega power out of.

Not without some serious work... maybe heads, cam etc... By the looks of it you (OP) should focus on getting it out from underneath some blankets. Do you drive the car every day? I usually don't tuck my cars into bed every night. Some, but not all.

How about intake, filter, headers and a well tuned carb? A very good set of headers alone will yield 15-20hp. It is true though that your intake will only flow as well as the heads you're feeding into.

EDK
A showroom stock L-86 had 230 HP with 275 ft. lbs. of torque.
Probably an intake and aftermarket exhaust. All engines from that period were virtually suffocated by emissions regulations.

Since he says he has some bolts ons and it does about 280hp I wouldn't imagine it being much more than 300ft-lbs

If that's the car power figure, it won't be that hard to do a burnout, what sort of mods have you done to the car ? intakes, header, carb, supercharger, exhaust, clutch, flywheel, lsd ?

To Iceyou, is the car manual or AT ? For manual, I would recommend to fit at least a heavy duty clutch. Oh, don't forget if you have access to water and hose at the school, get your friend to help spray some water beneath the rear tires to get the surface wet and slippery. This will lessen the load on the engine to start the burnout and less strain on the car's drivetrain. Be sure not to put too much water, don't want the rear tires to aquaplaning and go sideways, when the burnout starts, put some more water underneath to keep the rear spinning if you find it hard to maintain the burnout.

Ding ding ding. Smog motors are easy to get mega power out of.

How about intake, filter, headers and a well tuned carb? A very good set of headers alone will yield 15-20hp. It is true though that your intake will only flow as well as the heads you're feeding into.

To put it lightly the smog motors sucked. Yes you could get some decent gains from basic intake and exhaust stuff your but your still stuck with a smog l82 with boat anchor heads and a flat tappet cam. To see a solid 280 hp I'd say full bolt on with a good carb and possibly a small cam to get everything out of the heads. Oh and if you do try it instead of water be sneaky and squirt a little dish soap in in front of them and roll onto it to get them spinning easy.

To put it lightly the smog motors sucked. Yes you could get some decent gains from basic intake and exhaust stuff your but your still stuck with a smog l82 with boat anchor heads and a flat tappet cam. To see a solid 280 hp I'd say full bolt on with a good carb and possibly a small cam to get everything out of the heads. Oh and if you do try it instead of water be sneaky and squirt a little dish soap in in front of them and roll onto it to get them spinning easy.

Don't matter the brand they all sucked. I've got 2 smogs from Ford that have made nearly 800hp at one time though.

Probably an intake and aftermarket exhaust. All engines from that period were virtually suffocated by emissions regulations.

Yes, Flowmaster Exhaust, Edelbrock intake manifold and some other stuff. I think the L-82's stock came with 230hp.

Last edited:
Slashfan
Don't matter the brand they all sucked. I've got 2 smogs from Ford that have made nearly 800hp at one time though.

Well a block is a block most of the time it's everything else that makes the engine and that's what made the smog motors suck so bad. Sure a 4 bolt main block from 1979 can make big power with all good parts I've got a similar one in my T/A. I'm sure those fords have been built to Way up including the bottom end to the point it's not a smog motor anymore just the block.

BTW my Vette is in horrible condition and my Father and I are working on restoring now. That's why there's blankets on it. And the reason why there's a blanket on the 442 is because he hates rolling up the windows! lol

Well a block is a block most of the time it's everything else that makes the engine and that's what made the smog motors suck so bad. Sure a 4 bolt main block from 1979 can make big power with all good parts I've got a similar one in my T/A. I'm sure those fords have been built to Way up including the bottom end to the point it's not a smog motor anymore just the block.

Definitely. Once you drop a set of aluminum heads, headers, intake and carb you've got a pretty stout motor even with a stock bottom end or even a mild cam.

Back