2008 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 Limted: She's a keeper.

• Thread starter Pako
  • 250 comments
Part of me says you can do it, but part of me doesn't blame you. Yes, you can crank down on spring compressors and take the nut off...but having manually changed struts, and changed the springs to go with I can say that it can be a harrowing job. Anything involving springs can get hairy, especially if something breaks.

Pako! Just lowered my Si with Eibach Sportline springs last week and I did it with a friend of mine. I'd never touched suspension components before, he had but never on a Civic so it was mostly unfamiliar to him. They ended up being really easy, but time consuming. In my case we disconnected my rear sway, the bolt holding my brake line in place, popped out the ABS wire out of its clip, unbolted the strut and like two bolts on the spindle. With a jack underneath the spindle we lowered it down slowly and the spring was no longer compressed and could be worked out. This was a multi-link rear supension, mind you.

The front is MacPherson Struts. That whole strut assembly comes out with a few bolts and basically the same procedure as the rear (but unbolting the top of the strut for it to drop out) then you need a spring compressor to compress the spring (bet you never thought those would do that!) for you to be able to disassembly that deal. The trick my friend used was to cut a small rubber hose open and put that over the metal rod of the strut underneath that dust cover, and to clamp onto that with vice grips. This protects the strut and keeps it from turning when you use an impact on the top of the strut to take that top hat off. Once that's off you carefully ease up on the spring compressor until its no longer compressed, then do it all in reverse order.

That's probably real hard to follow, but I say you find somebody whose done something like it before (the right way) and buy them a case of beer or something and you two work on it.

I'm really happy with my Eibachs, you might like how the pro-kit is, its a little less of a drop. And Eibach says they are all designed for use for stock shocks/struts, so they won't blow them out real quickly.

If you don't mind my asking, how has the car been? I'm wondering because this is the most likely candidate for my next car. I'm having trouble getting over the electronic throttle in most, however.

A Spec B did come up on Autotrader locally, but it was gone before I could go check it out.

I love this car. My only complaint is it's a little small for the whole family. I would have been better off for practicality in getting a wagon. If they had the LGT in a wagon, I would have got it, but the Sedan was the only option in that year. I have had to replace one oxygen sensor and the radio/heater console was replaced. All defective parts covered under warranty. Other than that, this car is fun to drive and I expect it to last a very long time.

Part of me says you can do it, but part of me doesn't blame you. Yes, you can crank down on spring compressors and take the nut off...but having manually changed struts, and changed the springs to go with I can say that it can be a harrowing job. Anything involving springs can get hairy, especially if something breaks.

Exactly! Springs can kill! ;) That's what makes me nervous. I think I found a guy that has a spring compressor and can do the work for a reasonable price. I don't have the tools or the time. I've always been mechanically minded but I don't want to screw anything up or have a spring come at me at 200 mph. :scared:

Pako! Just lowered my Si with Eibach Sportline springs last week and I did it with a friend of mine. I'd never touched suspension components before, he had but never on a Civic so it was mostly unfamiliar to him. They ended up being really easy, but time consuming. In my case we disconnected my rear sway, the bolt holding my brake line in place, popped out the ABS wire out of its clip, unbolted the strut and like two bolts on the spindle. With a jack underneath the spindle we lowered it down slowly and the spring was no longer compressed and could be worked out. This was a multi-link rear supension, mind you.

The front is MacPherson Struts. That whole strut assembly comes out with a few bolts and basically the same procedure as the rear (but unbolting the top of the strut for it to drop out) then you need a spring compressor to compress the spring (bet you never thought those would do that!) for you to be able to disassembly that deal. The trick my friend used was to cut a small rubber hose open and put that over the metal rod of the strut underneath that dust cover, and to clamp onto that with vice grips. This protects the strut and keeps it from turning when you use an impact on the top of the strut to take that top hat off. Once that's off you carefully ease up on the spring compressor until its no longer compressed, then do it all in reverse order.

That's probably real hard to follow, but I say you find somebody whose done something like it before (the right way) and buy them a case of beer or something and you two work on it.

I'm really happy with my Eibachs, you might like how the pro-kit is, its a little less of a drop. And Eibach says they are all designed for use for stock shocks/struts, so they won't blow them out real quickly.

Nice!!! I did look into the Eibachs, but all the performance struts drop it more than I want at this point. My other concern is getting too stiff of a ride. These roads suck here (probably from all the winter stud runners) and I really don't want to suffer ride comfort for looks, or track performance. That's why the RalliTEK review appeals to me. It's only a 1" drop, ride quality is comfortable, but it still gives a nice 1" drop with improvements made to cornering. Paired with a set of sway bars, and I think I'd be set for this daily driver.

Got any pics of your Si, before and after? Would love to see them.

Nice car this one :)

Thanks!!!

Wait, what are you gonna do to that car to get it moving even close to 200 mi/h?

Not the car, the springs. In order to get springs in or out of the car or better on/off the damper you need a tool to compress it ( At least in several cars, I don't know if in general ). If that thing brakes or you handle it the wrong way that spring can kill you. Not with 200 mph, but that's what Pako wanted to say, at least I think so.

Not the car, the springs. In order to get springs in or out of the car or better on/off the damper you need a tool to compress it ( At least in several cars, I don't know if in general ). If that thing brakes or you handle it the wrong way that spring can kill you. Not with 200 mph, but that's what Pako wanted to say, at least I think so.

Yes, the springs. Springs can kill. :ouch:

So much that I want to do to it. Just rolled over 40,000 miles. Good time to either decide to keep it and start modding it, or to sell it and get into something else.

Honestly, I love this car and would love to start upgrading performance parts on it.

Here's a recent pic from a hand wash and wax (since I can't do anything else to it at the moment):
dsc0004small.jpg
dsc0002small.jpg

I would definitely keep it.
Cobb AP. Cobb AP. Ahem. Cobb AP.

What was that? I know you're trying to tell me something...., but....I....can't....quite....make.....it out.

:D

Welcome to the family I love my 09 leggy gt limited. Awesome car congrats. I isn't read much else saw the pics you took. Hit me up

LegacyHDR.jpg

Welcome to the family I love my 09 leggy gt limited. Awesome car congrats. I isn't read much else saw the pics you took. Hit me up

LegacyHDR.jpg

Great shot!

I've had my 08 LGT since 07, bought it new off of the showroom floor and have put 40k miles on it. I was at a crossroads to sell it or keep it. I decided to keep it and mod it a bit. Cobb DP and Magnaflow Catback are ordered and should be here on July 2nd. Still researching if I want a Cobb SF Intake, but everthing I am reading, the gains noticed with you "need" that much air. Running a stock turbo, running a SF Intake is a waste of money at this time. Also, been looking at the Open Source pretty heavy as well. Sounds like a good deal.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome! :D

Great shot!

I've had my 08 LGT since 07, bought it new off of the showroom floor and have put 40k miles on it. I was at a crossroads to sell it or keep it. I decided to keep it and mod it a bit. Cobb DP and Magnaflow Catback are ordered and should be here on July 2nd. Still researching if I want a Cobb SF Intake, but everthing I am reading, the gains noticed with you "need" that much air. Running a stock turbo, running a SF Intake is a waste of money at this time. Also, been looking at the Open Source pretty heavy as well. Sounds like a good deal.

Anyways, thanks for the welcome! :D

Ah I see sorry I was checking the threads at work so I didn't have a lot of time, but now I get it haha. Nice those are some tasteful mod ideas, a tune goes a long way in the legacy I have a buddy who used to tune Tanner Foust's cars and he tuned my leggy run SO much better and everything else is still stock. I might throw a turbo back exhaust on there sooner or later.

My wagon is the one getting the mods and attention right now though haha. I'm doing a 2.2L stroker kit, with 750cc injectors, Sti nitride coated crankshaft, Manley oversize pistons, Sti rods, apr headstuds, cosworth head gaskets, 255 walbro fuel pump, upgraded oil pump, upgraded water pump and thermostat, gates timing belt kit, ACL bearings, Perrin turbo inlet, full exhaust, Sti tmic, and still trying to decided on a turbo but we found a really good rebuilder so I might find a blown VF-48 or one of the VF ball bearing turbos and have this guy rebuild it, but I still have time to decide. There is probably more just can't think of it haha doin a lot.

Subaru FTW
Both.jpg

Ah I see sorry I was checking the threads at work so I didn't have a lot of time, but now I get it haha. Nice those are some tasteful mod ideas, a tune goes a long way in the legacy I have a buddy who used to tune Tanner Foust's cars and he tuned my leggy run SO much better and everything else is still stock. I might throw a turbo back exhaust on there sooner or later.

My wagon is the one getting the mods and attention right now though haha. I'm doing a 2.2L stroker kit, with 750cc injectors, Sti nitride coated crankshaft, Manley oversize pistons, Sti rods, apr headstuds, cosworth head gaskets, 255 walbro fuel pump, upgraded oil pump, upgraded water pump and thermostat, gates timing belt kit, ACL bearings, Perrin turbo inlet, full exhaust, Sti tmic, and still trying to decided on a turbo but we found a really good rebuilder so I might find a blown VF-48 or one of the VF ball bearing turbos and have this guy rebuild it, but I still have time to decide. There is probably more just can't think of it haha doin a lot.

Nice rides, and quite a grocery list you have there. I have much more humble ideas for my daily driver, though.....if I had a couple of subies, I would want to go crazy with my non-daily driver. 👍

Last edited:
Nice rides, and quite a grocery list you have there. I have much more humble ideas for my daily driver, though.....if I had a couple of subies, I would want to go crazy with my non-daily driver. 👍

Yeah thats pretty much what Im doing gonna try and get at least 350whp out of this initial build then gonna up the turbo and go for the big 400 but would need to drop in a 6speed but they are so pricey haha. Then keep the legacy realistic lower it put some new wheels on, turbo back exhaust and do a nice tune.

I don't know something about driving around in the legacy you just feel like a boss haha I treat my wagon more like the toy.

Cat-back, DP, stage2 tune, slight drop, sway bar set, better bushings here and there, and flush-ier 17x9s is as far as I would go for a dailyD.

Cat-back, DP, stage2 tune, slight drop, sway bar set, better bushings here and there, and flush-ier 17x9s is as far as I would go for a dailyD.

Add coilovers as part of the drop and brakes and rotor upgrade and we have the same list. 👍

I think I'd be more down for bags than coilovers on a car like yours. Montana doesn't seem like the kind of place to rock some stiff coilovers.

I think I'd be more down for bags than coilovers on a car like yours. Montana doesn't seem like the kind of place to rock some stiff coilovers.

images

What are you talking about??? :D

Add coilovers as part of the drop and brakes and rotor upgrade and we have the same list. 👍

I wouldn't get coilovers, but that's only because I can't justify spending $2-3k on quality stuff. I wouldn't drop the car more than 1" so a good set of billstein shocks with a good spring would be perfect, I think.
If the Legacy is anything like the new WRX, then SS lines and a good pad is all you need for braking. If you plan on tracking the car then bigger rotors would help.

I know Im gonna have to lower both of mine eventually but Im gonna miss playing off road :\ I would do coilovers on my wagon and springs and upgrade the struts on the legacy but I don't want my stuff slammed either. Coilovers are more for race driving usually don't have the greatest ride quality but keep you stuck and have the adjustabity. Springs are easy and maintain ride quality and gives your car a little better handling.

Dirty1.jpg

I love that you are willing to take your LGT off-road like that. I only do that if I have to... :)

I am traveling down a slippery slope right now.....

So, I ordered a Tractix Openport cable and will have my car e-tuned once I install the Cobb downpipe and the Magnaflow Catback Exhaust. I am now reading that peoples stock TMIC is blowing apart at Stage 2 power. :mad: So...... I have a couple options, I can return all the stuff and not mod anything (not really an option), I can modify my stock TMIC with a known Bullet Proofing mod that adds brace supports that holds everything together, or purchase an aftermarket TMIC (looking at the Process West) but am fearful of the price. So I have parts on the way, e-tune already lined out, and am now faced with the possibility that my daily drivers reliability will be compromised by the power upgrade I am doing. Good times... :)

Do that ghetto stock brace thingy. It works. Or buy some JBWELD and go to work on the end tanks. Or do both.

:lol: Speaking of the "ghetto stock brace thingy", I actually just got the plans from Jeff on how to build the braces. Infamous will tune to 17.5 psi boost so I should be ok without the mod, but better safe than sorry.

Well... here is where I am at with all this. I decided that I will have him tune at 17.5 psi boost to keep the IC together. I'm not looking for a rally or track car, I just want more fun when I get in and drive it. If/when I get board with a stage 2 tune at 300+ hp (at the crank), then I will be looking at a FMIC anyways, along with injectors, larger turbo, and, and, and....

So for now, A modest Stage 2 tune, better sounding exhaust is a good start. Next stop, suspension and brakes.

[edited]
The long wait....

Downpipe and Catback Exhaust came today (have to pick it up at Fedx tomorrow). Gaskets, heat shield, and a few other goodies will be here next Tuesday so I will plan on an install sometime next week. Tactrix ECU cable should be here shortly as well. Infamous1 is ready to accept my details so he can start building the first base map.

Exciting!

Last edited:
It is a slow process, but I got my Tactrix cable today. Got an old laptop reloaded with XP, nice and clean and proceeded to install Romraider, ECUFlash, and Learningview. These three programs will provide ECU communication to and from the laptop and e-tune ECU maps from the tuner. RomRaider Logger is serious business! Even has a dash view to see all selected parameters from the ECU in real time logging. Very cool!

I have also done a fair amount of looking at different gauges. I desperately want to keep an eye on my boost and oil pressure. PLX makes an organic LCD display that looks fantastic and works as a multigauge as well. I really should have started buying these accessories years ago and just stockpiled them for when I'm ready.

Should have my gaskets here the first part of next week and hope to have the DP, CBE, and Heatshield installed by Wednesday. If all goes well, I should be able to have the first base map that I can load right away to hopefully address any knock that is present due to the DP.

Alright, I just got my Cobb downpipe, Cobb heat shield, Magnaflow Catback Exhaust, and Infamous1 basemap installed.

Here's a couple of quick videos.

Garage 3K rpm rev.

Inside sound, 1st and 2nd gear.

Last edited:
Sounds really nice just enough to add some presents. Short shifting those pulls a little? Would like to see the numbers your getting. Total cost on the the turboback setup to? you can PM that if you feel more comfortable.

Good work man. Ill have to make a video of my wagon he is pretty noisy haha.

Back