Weekly Parity Series **Newcomers Wanted**

• Thread starter mike 5927
  • 1,205 comments
Checked some cars in the garage, thinking with running one of the most famous American tracks means I should run some American cars. Might be taking a page out of Mike's book...maybe some trucks...maybe double Dodges.

I think "theme weeks" would be a great idea and would make the fields more photogenic and add a fun little twist to things. American cars at Daytona/Indy/Laguna, Italian cars at Monza/Rome, British Cars, German Cars etc. Be great fun to see a field full of old and new Muscle cars at American tracks for example. With tuning now available many more cars come into play, like the old American muscle cars because you only have to throw a gearbox on it now and it can race anywhere.

Some really competitive racing again tonight. I would say just about everyone had more than enough fun. I really do have the utmost confidence in this group when racing in close quarters.

I was side by side with a car so many times I lost count:crazy:. Not only were there no incidents, I don't recall anything other than a bit of incidental contact, and most of the time, no contact at all. Watch the race 1 replay with Mike and I going head to head with a drag race to the finish. An absolute classic in my books and some of the most fun I've ever had on GT5.

I attribute the ability to go side by side through so many corners (even the Corkscrew!!) on my end, in large part due to having tuning available. I had full confidence in the car anywhere on the track and having tuned for neutral grip and LSD settings tuned to the tires, I knew I could put the power down and not lose the back end even out on the marbles. For me anyway, the tuning makes for better racing. And with 3 winners in three races it seems to be working for everyone, whether they tune or not.

I did some more testing regarding round 9. When I did the original time bracket I was thinking of VCRC cars that wouldn't top out (remember no tuning way back when I did the testing). The PP level is pretty low at the target time that is currently posted and probably limits quite a bit of car choices. I would like to propose a consideration for the change in target time. Some where in the low 2.20s would give a PP range of 400-450ish, with what I think the majority around 425. There are some pretty fun cars in that range. Thoughts? Vote? Or just shut up TB and get a car going?

I'd be in for a little higher PP level. I think it's a natural fit on the bigger tracks.

Well that's that the new Target for round #9 is 2:19.500 - 2:20.000.

I'd be in for a little higher PP level. I think it's a natural fit on the bigger tracks. On such a big track shouldn't we have a full second range for qualifying?

Daytona Road Course may be a longer track, but it's not that complex compared to most other tracks with similar length, so I think half a second should be fine.

I also think the half second is good on this track...the closer we can get the cars to be before race day the better when considering the amount of drafting that will take place. I find it hard to believe that many laps will be within that target during the race.

I will be in the MCRC lounge the next hour to practice for:
Round #9
Tyres: Sports Hard
Track: Daytona Road Course
Target Time: 2:19.500 - 2:20.000

Event 9, Daytona Road Course

1966-Ford-Shelby-Mustang-yellow-fa-lr.jpg

Cote Dazur / cotedazur06 / Shelby GT350 Mustang '65 / 435 PP / 2'19'872 / EDT

And to the question: Is it loud? You bet!

Last edited:
Johnnypenso/Johnnypenso/Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 70'/420PP/2:19.586//EDT

Should be able to knock that down a few more at least. Only got one good lap in. It occurs to me that with a decent PP differential some of the cars will be quite a bit faster on the straight and if the lower PP guys get a few good drafts in they could easily shave a second or two off the laptime target.

Last edited:
I have just been reminded that I got married on a August 27, I might have a challenge to participate on Monday, I will keep you posted.

I am thinking he who has the car more set up for straight speed and getting through the bust stop has the best chance at a win. I have a feeling I will regret this car selection:

TrackBound7/TrackBound7/Ford Focus ST170 03/395pp/2:19.742/edt

Was hoping for a higher PP...sort of feel I should run a focus one day though since I drive one daily (that isn't a good thing ;) ).

I have just been reminded that I got married on a August 27, I might have a challenge to participate on Monday, I will keep you posted.

Sounds like you need to drop a few hints as to what is an appropriate anniversary gift from your better half...hint...hint...:sly:

I am thinking he who has the car more set up for straight speed and getting through the bust stop has the best chance at a win. I have a feeling I will regret this car selection:

TrackBound7/TrackBound7/Ford Focus ST170 03/395pp/2:19.742/edt

Was hoping for a higher PP...sort of feel I should run a focus one day though since I drive one daily (that isn't a good thing ;) ).

I'm thinking you're right...about regretting it...lol. I'm around 130-135 mph on the straights and I think that's pretty slow..I'm guessing you're 125? The Chevelle sounds great and I added some weight to keep the HP up but it just runs out of steam at the high end. I'm thinking I'll bring it back to life on a shorter track sometime.

I'm going to see if I can get the tank car within the target time. I have wanted to race it ever since this series started and this round seems like the best opportunity yet.

I will be doing my testing and setting my time tomorrow, so keep your eyes peeled for the beast.

I am around 132/133mph at the start finish line.

You'll be ok then...grab a bit of draft and it gives us slower straighline guys an advantage....lol..

Revised:

Johnnypenso/Johnnypenso/Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 70'/408PP/2:19.642//EDT

SagarisGTB / sagarismic / Mercedes-Benz SL500 (R230) '02 / 398pp / 2'19.820 / CDT
I am around 132/133mph at the start finish line.
That's surprising, since my 2 ton Merc only gets up to 133/134 on the main straight. I was looking forward to having a straight line speed advantage over at least a few cars this week, but it seems that won't be the case. :indiff:

I am curious what speed you guys are carrying through the bus stop and if that is why my finish line speed is up that high. I am exiting around 90-95mph on average. Relatively easy to through the light car from side to side in that section. I think Miata is running close to the same top speed with only a handful more PP.

I am curious what speed you guys are carrying through the bus stop and if that is why my finish line speed is up that high. I am exiting around 90-95mph on average. Relatively easy to through the light car from side to side in that section. I think Miata is running close to the same top speed with only a handful more PP.

I never checked but the Chevelle seems to handle well enough considering it's 1800kg+ in weight. It just seems to run out of gas at the top of the rev range but I think my speeds are competitive with most of you on the straight, close enough that the big draft there should make up any small difference.

I'm going to be missing tonight's races as I'm too tired. I did consider it but thought I'd much rather miss tonight's races than ruin them for someone else with a silly mistake.

I will definitely try the tank car for next week though. But if not then it will probably be the Chevrolet SST Concept.

Last edited:
Well this stinks, sounds like small fields tonight. Hope the rest turn out. Don't worry guys, I will try to win all 3 ;).

Miata almost made it a triple but it was very close racing for the most part.

Was hoping for more American Muscle. The Chevelle looks like it was made for Daytona!! Might bring out the Superbird for next week.
roadcoursedaytona.jpg

Final race, 2nd and 3rd in an absolute dead heat to the 1/1000th of a second!!
roadcoursedaytona1.jpg

Great shots JP. I must apologize for my erratic driving tonight. I don't think I hurt anyone but JP in race 1 when I rolled through the turn too fast compared to his Chevelle and put him sideways. I missed a BUNCH of shifts (the game seems to be real enough that the car and gearing gap seems to really impact how fast you can power shift with the G27), ripped up more than my fair share of grass, and abused the bus stop in traffic. My boneheaded racing aside, the rest of the night was very exciting and even dramatic. Miata owned the field in the first 2 races setting himself up for what would have been the first hat trick in the club. We joked quite a bit before race 3 about wrecking him...well I just about did it and my stomach turned. Some great racing in race 3. I started to gap the field a bit and noticed the GT40 colored focus in 4th behind everyone else. With one lap to go, that darn Focus was in my rearview. Miata got around me getting onto the speedway and completed the pass before the bus stop. I had been faster in that section than him, so braked a little early and set myself up for a hard charge through. Miata had a small mishap or something and entered slower than he had all night. I drilled him right in the rear bumper. I thought for sure I ruined his hat trick by taking him out...the last thing I actually wanted to do. Luckily we all held our position and made it through. JP was coming up fast approaching the finish line and everyone was gunning to beat Miata. Edged him out by .088 seconds...for that matter beat JP by .088 seconds too. Great finish for sure.

Guess everyone will be in a Focus next week ;).

....Miata owned the field in the first 2 races setting himself up for what would have been the first hat trick in the club. We joked quite a bit before race 3 about wrecking him...well I just about did it and my stomach turned.

I almost wrecked Miata in the bus stop on lap 1. We went through side by side and I kind of forced him onto the grass heading back to the banking and he must have come very close to the concrete barrier...lol. Sorry man, dumb move on my part, glad it didn't wreck your race. :ouch::guilty::scared::nervous:

I have a suggestion for the future event that might make things even more interesting.

The concept is to have the cars we choose for the events behave more like their real life counterparts.

We would still have to get to the pace but tyre choice would be specific to the car model we have choosen to drive.

Example: A C63 AMG skid pad is .90g, so the tyres to match that in GT5 are CS, a Cobra Shelby is 1.04g, so the tyres should be SM. Please see table below.

Every one would still be able to choose whatever they want, since we can tune the cars, but it would allow to have the car we choose to act more like the real life model, making the competition even more interesting and some how more realistic.

I have put under the table the link to the thread with all explanation on the method.

GT5_Tire_Calc.jpg

Source

Let us know what you think, is it worth a try?
Finding skid pad numbers is relatively easy on the internet and I find it brings more realism and sense to different car choice.

Cote...I have used that list before to set up a lot of my favorite cars that I like taking out just for a drive (especially around the Nord.). While it works for many cars, I think there are some that don't feel quite as I would expect. The other concern is braking. The braking distances are going to be all over the place and could cause some real issues. I am pretty sure GT5's tire compounds are just a basic grip multiplier, and what tests out on a "skid pad" does not seem to always translate to straight line grip. I am up for trying it and think the theory is great...just not sure how the application would be.

As an FYI with this thought, most cars fall into CS and SH tires. Very few move out of those two compounds.

Targets for Round #10, now posted.

Autumn Ring
Sports Medium
1:23.500 - 1:24.000

I got within that target time with 500pp.

Well for the second round at Daytona, I am planning on going with what was one of my favorite cars growing...still remember seeing one for the first time when the owner of a local body shop bought one and kept it in front of the garage...the 87 Buick GNX. Just need to get this darn thing tuned to the time. I have tried several different PP levels and end up a second too slow or a second too fast (and they haven't been that far apart). Gonna drive this one automatic this week too...just like the real thing.

I have a suggestion for the future event that might make things even more interesting.

The concept is to have the cars we choose for the events behave more like their real life counterparts.

We would still have to get to the pace but tyre choice would be specific to the car model we have choosen to drive.

Example: A C63 AMG skid pad is .90g, so the tyres to match that in GT5 are CS, a Cobra Shelby is 1.04g, so the tyres should be SM. Please see table below.

Every one would still be able to choose whatever they want, since we can tune the cars, but it would allow to have the car we choose to act more like the real life model, making the competition even more interesting and some how more realistic.

I have put under the table the link to the thread with all explanation on the method.

GT5_Tire_Calc.jpg

Source

Let us know what you think, is it worth a try?
Finding skid pad numbers is relatively easy on the internet and I find it brings more realism and sense to different car choice.

It sounds great in theory but in practice I'd have the same concern as Track, differing braking distances and cornering speeds. In the format that we are using it's sometimes hard enough compensating for differing cornering speeds on the same tires, just one compound higher or lower translates into big differences in pace and I think it might make for some rough and not so fun racing. I'd rather be closer in pace on all parts of the track than fast in the corners and slow in the straights and vice versa.

Autumn Ring looks like it's going to be fun. A twisty and techinical track at 500PP is a bit of a change of pace but welcome.

Back