Ronalds Reviews (current: Praianos' AMG)

• Thread starter Ronald6
  • 198 comments
Krenkme + OnBoy / Autobacs Garaiya '02
Krenkme https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=6212456#post6212456
OnBoy https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7338647#post7338647

Stage 1: Base Model
191hp, 800kg, 448pp @ 0.0 miles
Drivetrain: MR
Weight Distribution: 46/54
Painted (Honda) Brilliant Sky Metallic w/ custom Enkei RP03 wheels painted (Honda) Brilliant Sky Metallic

I don't think I've reviewed one of Krenkmes cars outside of a shootout. He deserves one so here it goes.
If y'all have read my previous reviews you will know that I'm partial to MR (or even RR) cars. It doesn't get much more MR than the Garaiya.

Standard Setup
Sports Hard Tyres stock

Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:43.412
I must remember to lookup the RPM for torque (5k) and hp (7k) whenever I review a tune.
This car will not snap. Try as I might I can't induce any form of snap while pushing for a hot lap. Slide: yes. Snap: no.
Most definitely a MR car, but with a more "favorable" front weight distribution that is uncommon for a MR. The car has excellent grip.
Turn-in is predictable. Pedal steering helps with rotation but doesn't unduly influence accuracy.
Mid-corner is excellent. Just enough power to push through the under-steer into over-steer, but not enough power to over-rotate the car before a calm input can correct the problem.
Corner exit is stable, but the lack of power means that full throttle is usually achieved in mid-corner or early corner exit. There is no sway or 'maintaining attitude' with this car.
Gearing is a little long. The car has 6 gears but I'm only using 5 of them on this track.

Deep Forest: 1:30.347
Excellent balance. Even with the c'e corners the car is hard to push into over-rotation. It can be done but is slow and calm while it slides gently toward the outer edge of the track.
The brakes are excellent, both the stopping distance and the cars ability to accurately corner while decelerating. Probably a very easy car to use ABS: 0 after I setup the BB.
Most of the corners can be taken full throttle. For example the last corner doesn't need and braking, any excess speed is scrubbed off through slippage.
Throttle steering does play a role, but not so much for rotation as much as keeping the back end planted through the corners.
Another car that I spend most of my time perfecting my line rather than trying to keep the car under control and on the line.

Autumn Ring: 1:30.651
Wow, those slaloms are great fun. Break ever so slightly (or just lift-off a little) to angle the nose in. Power on through the apex and line up the next corner before I finish the previous corner. Use the steering wheel to change direction (aided by slight lift-off) but use the full throttle slowly increasing rotation to power through the apexes. No need to turn the wheel more than 10° through there (when I get it right).
The downhill-U-downhill is a breeze, made so by the brakes. Just remember that throttle = speed and brakes = slow. Using the brakes to rotate the car is fine and all but the throttle can get the job done better. The car sits well in the squeak and squeal range, and rotation is most active then.
Virtually no tyre wear.

Cape Ring Full: 3:06.362
Almost too easy. The only real risk is braking too much and not only slowing too much but losing the extra rotation the point of pivot provides.
The gearing is obviously long. There are six gears but I'm not anywhere near maxing out fifth.

Last edited:
Krenkme / Autobacs Garaiya '02

Stage 2: Modded Model
299hp, 538kg, 538pp @ 46.1 miles

I'll start on Sport Hard Tyres and move on to softer tyres if needed.

Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:38.459
My first run through this track I had TCS on 5. Ouch. Killed the power delivery. Lets see how TCS 0 does:
Ok, much better now. On the stock car powering through a long corner would start with under-steer then slowly push through the under-steer into over-steer. This pushing took the car off its line in a V shape, if you understand me.
Now, with the increased power the V is more like a v. The quicker delivery of power makes the well balanced car responsive to throttle steering.
Braking is no longer fabulous. Instead that extra room is now needed to handle the extra speed. Trail-braking is still so easy it's too easy to use the brakes to rotate instead of the throttle. Even with the increased power.
(I'm a half second quicker with TCS off. Aid my ***.)

Deep Forest: 1:24.873
There is more than enough power to take this car sideways on any corner. The gears still don't provide consistent power but it's not too hard to keep the car at least near the power-band.
The c'e corners coupled with the increased power coupled with a semi-inconsistent power-band make staying on line more difficult than the stock car.
This track is no longer a boring almost full throttle through every corner ride. Temperance is needed.
Tyre wear is still minimal.

Autumn Ring: 1:26.743
This car is no longer 'on the line like rails.' Instead it feels more like an RUF RGT, front end getting all squirly through the slalom.
The same controls are needed as with the stock carI through the slalom, but now it's no longer full throttle till the exit of the complex.
Pedal steering is a must to navigate this track.

Cape Ring Full: 2:58.081
The torque gap provided by the tranny is annoying. In an otherwise well balanced car shifting at the wrong time can have dire consequences.
The multi-faceted right turning complex is much easier now that throttle steering is more responsive.

Last edited:

Stage 3: Full Tune

Krenkme:
302hp@7.9, 726kg, 540pp @ 107.9 miles
(Still 10pp short due to low milage and no oil change.)

Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:37.806
Even better. Most definitely an improvement.
Braking is better. The distance is a smidge shorter but trail-braking is smoother and more accurate.
Turn-in is far more accurate. Ever heard of 'fly-by-wire?' The plane is unstable so whenever you direct a change it already wants to go that direction. This car feels like that. Not out if control, but like it already wants to turn the direction you indicate.
Mid-corner has better control. The extra power now is applied smoother and more controlled. Prediction is improved to more than match the extra power and speed. Even with the eagerness to change direction at a slightest twitch it feels more planted through the corners. In the Stock and Modded cars there was a small but very noticeable gap just after counter-steering catches a slip and the car settling back to its attitude. That gap is totally gone. The car does not want to fish-tail, nor is there a 'maintaining attitude' problem. Instead there is still usable control at all times even when recovering/counter-steering from a slip. Fabulous.
Corner exit has the same feel as mid-corner. Exceptional control.

Deep Forest: 1:24.959
More than enough power to send the rear round 'n' round, but more than enough control to keep that power firmly planted and producing as often as possible.
The car shrugs off the c'e corners like a prize fighter shrugs off a fly. "Want to see me lap this track? Wanna see it again?"
The cars ability to maintain a productive drift through the first tunnel complex is simply amazing. I'm probably losing time because I'm enjoying the cars ability to maintain a low angle drift with ease.

Autumn Ring: 1:25.565
Live wire. The hyper responsive steering makes navigating this tight course difficult. Accuracy isn't a problem but the throttle steering is. It is hard to know just how much throttle to feed when making quick slalom maneuvers and having to use the throttle to control the speed and rotation.
A braver, more skillful driver could make this car sing on this track. It feels custom made for it, except for the missing sixth gear.

Cape Ring Full: 2:56.852
The hypersevsative responsiveness makes navigating this track on a hot lap interesting.
Even on the mid- to high-speed corners the car had enough power to over-rotate.
The car has a Caterham like ability to maintain speed through a corner. Doing so consistently is difficult.

Ending Mileage: 177.4

OnBoys tomorrow, then the Zonda. I promise.

Last edited:
Ronald6
TrackRipper / TVR T350C '03

Stage 3: Full Tune (no stage 2 needed)
386hp, 1187kg, 501pp @ 59.6 miles (no maintenance)
Weight distribution: 50/50
Drivetrain: FR

Note: the posted tune has a top speed of 186mph, and I'm only hitting 172mph with the same gear ratios. Shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Sports Hard Tyres stock (the tune calls for SS)

Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:39.187
The car feels much more alive. Pedal steering plays a larger role than the stock car. Braking produces more over-steer. Turn-in is sharper and quicker to respond.
Corner entry to mid-corner has more under-steer under throttle for more of the pedal range than before. The car can be pushed harder before over-steer is induced. The over-steer is harder to ride.

Deep Forest: 1:27.100
The extra under-steer under throttle is mated with more, and more consistent, power. Some of that under-steer is needed to help manage the extra power I can now shove through the rear tyres.
Trail-braking is tempting to use because it quickly rotates the car to the right direction so I can get back on the power earlier, counting on the cars balance and high, even grip to pull me through.
Finding and maintaining the point of transition is more difficult and takes longer to achieve. Thus the tempting trail-braking.

Autumn Ring: 1:28.281
This track seems much more in harmony with this tune than the others. The cars quick rotation under trail-braking coupled with the time it takes to transition from under-steer under throttle to over-steer eats up this tight track. If the car does achieve over-steer be careful, the car now has a 'maintaining attitude' tendency at corner exit under throttle.

Cape Ring Full: 3:00.627
The power-band is much more consistent. Shifting mid-corner, even with the extra horses, isn't as upsetting as it was.
Finding the correct harmony between wheel and pedal inputs during mid- and corner exit is difficult. When achieved I know when I nailed the corner.

I never thanked you for this review. :embarrassed: :cheers:

Glad you enjoy it, it's one of my favourite cars in the game, and it's just so balanced as you say, such a joy to drive. Thanks again! :)

Oi Ronald, since you're doing a Garaiya review, mind doing one for my 500PP one that I built for the Nurburgring shootout? I'll link you to it later. If you want to drive my death traps, that is. :lol:

Edit: Tune here.

Last edited:
@OnBoy: 👍 glad to review it. Since it's between the pp of the stock and Krenkmes tune it will work well.

OnBoy123 / Autobacs Garaiya '02

Stage 2: Modded Model
277hp@7.7, 800kg, 499pp @ 10.9 miles

Painted Deep Cranberry Pearl w/ custom Enkei RP03 wheels painted Deep Cranberry Pearl

Standard Setup
Sports Hard Tyres

I don't expect too many differences between this car and the stock and Krenkmes modded car.

Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:40.211
Nice. Excellent balance and harmony. Breaks are short and trail-braking easy. Throttle steering is predictable and balanced between control and speed. Gears are long.

Deep Forest: 1:27.824
Dennis the Menace comes to mind. Stable but with just enough power to get into trouble. The car already feels tuned. A boring tune, but tuned.

Autumn Ring: 1:27.852
Just responsive enough and just enough power to make it interesting.
The slalom feels perfect, not over-reactive to either steering or pedal responses.
Losing control isn't really an issue, even with the extra power, but staying on the line is between refining the line and controlling the car.

Cape Ring Full: 2:58.510
This car can respond to extreme steering inputs, rarely productively but at least it responds.
Great fun and balance. The car drifts so easily.it's easy to lose time enjoying putting the back end out.

Last edited:

280hp@7.7, 800kg, 500pp @ 57.8 miles

Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:38.383
Want more speed: throttle up. Want more grip: throttle up. It's a beautiful thing.
There is very little noticable under-steer. Unlike the stock car, or the modded car there is no need to push through the under-steer. The car is eager to turn-in.
Mid-corner is very stable especially considering the instantly responsive and controllable throttle over-steer.
Corner exit has no suspension problems that I notice. Just smooth near full throttle power from the end of mid-corner on.

Deep Forest: 1:25.942
Stability and grip to spare. Even at the limit the steering is responsive. This car eats up the slalom c'e corners. Instead of feeling overpowered the extra hp makes the car feel responsive. Good accuracy coupled with quick movement.
Almost a full two seconds faster than the modded car. Wow.

Autumn Ring: 1:26.974
Just enough power to make the care 'lively,' without making it a killer. Balanced between a car that I refine my line lap after lap and a car I fight to stay on the line.
Its highly responsive steering isn't detached from pedal steering but isn't adversely effected by it.
No real problems, just smooth powered control and grip.

Cape Ring Full: 2:57.478
More of that great grip and balance. No under-steer except on c'e corners. Some of the c'e slaloms could be devastating to hot lap times if I don't enter them correctly.
The car has excellent predictability and reactiveness. The power is just enough to get me in trouble.

Last edited:
Ronald6

Krenkme:
302hp@7.9, 726kg, 540pp @ 107.9 miles
(Still 10pp short due to low milage and no oil change.)

Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:37.806
Even better. Most definitely an improvement.
Braking is better. The distance is a smidge shorter but trail-braking is smoother and more accurate.
Turn-in is far more accurate. Ever heard of 'fly-by-wire?' The plane is unstable so whenever you direct a change it already wants to go that direction. This car feels like that. Not out if control, but like it already wants to turn the direction you indicate.
Mid-corner has better control. The extra power now is applied smoother and more controlled. Prediction is improved to more than match the extra power and speed. Even with the eagerness to change direction at a slightest twitch it feels more planted through the corners. In the Stock and Modded cars there was a small but very noticeable gap just after counter-steering catches a slip and the car settling back to its attitude. That gap is totally gone. The car does not want to fish-tail, nor is there a 'maintaining attitude' problem. Instead there is still usable control at all times even when recovering/counter-steering from a slip. Fabulous.
Corner exit has the same feel as mid-corner. Exceptional control.

Deep Forest: 1:24.959
More than enough power to send the rear round 'n' round, but more than enough control to keep that power firmly planted and producing as often as possible.
The car shrugs off the c'e corners like a prize fighter shrugs off a fly. "Want to see me lap this track? Wanna see it again?"
The cars ability to maintain a productive drift through the first tunnel complex is simply amazing. I'm probably losing time because I'm enjoying the cars ability to maintain a low angle drift with ease.

Autumn Ring: 1:25.565
Live wire. The hyper responsive steering makes navigating this tight course difficult. Accuracy isn't a problem but the throttle steering is. It is hard to know just how much throttle to feed when making quick slalom maneuvers and having to use the throttle to control the speed and rotation.
A braver, more skillful driver could make this car sing on this track. It feels custom made for it, except for the missing sixth gear.

Cape Ring Full: 2:56.852
The hypersevsative responsiveness makes navigating this track on a hot lap interesting.
Even on the mid- to high-speed corners the car had enough power to over-rotate.
The car has a Caterham like ability to maintain speed through a corner. Doing so consistently is difficult.

Ending Mileage: 177.4

OnBoys tomorrow, then the Zonda. I promise.

Hey! This was unexpected. Thank you so very much. This was one of my first tunes here on GTP (I moved it deeper in the post to make room for...something ), so I'm happy it stood up after the update (spec 2.0)

I actually forgot I had tuned this and remember how I enjoyed the drive. If I remember right it was tuned at Trial Mountain for some event, so it should feel very "at home" there.

Always love your work, and appreciate your testing. Thanks again :dopey:

ShmoGT / Pagani Zonda R '09
http://www.teamshmo.com/Tunes/Pagani/race/Pagani-Zonda-R-'09.php

Stage 1: Stock Model
716hp@7.5, 1070kg, 646pp @ 0.0 miles

(Why do some cars list a Brake Balance Controller in their parts list when all cars have them in GT5?)

Painted (Ferrari) Verde. For some reason, like the Caterham, the wheels on this car cannot be changed or painted. Bummer.

Standard Setup
Sports Soft tyres (as per the tune, the car comes stock with Racing Hards.)

Trial Mountain (Reverse):
It is most definitely a rear heavy car, it is a MR after all. But the downforce makes corner entrance very sharp (very un-MR like), but in corner exit I can feel the heavy back end respond to throttle to keep it down. Before I feed it too much and recovery becomes unmanageable. It is very easy to get this car sideways toward the exit of a corner.
Eight laps later: ok, now I get it. This car is much more like a YellowBird than a Garaiya. The throttle isn't just delicate and enough to send the car sideways on any corner. It can quickly overheat the tyres (almost always the rear) on an even relatively short corner. What was smooth and consistent throttle at the beginning of the corner can quickly overheat the tyres by the end of the corner.
If the car does start to go sideways, gently, Gently! I lift my foot just a smidge and use the steering to correct any slip. I found that any use of the throttle, besides that slight lift, will send the car into an unrecoverable spin. I have to wait until after a recovery when the car is fully stable and straight before throttling up.
I honestly didn't expect such character from a stock supercar. Pedal steering (both brake and throttle) plays an important role is steering. Cool.
The tyres don't last long. Eight laps of hot lapping is too much. Lol. Still, the rear tyres still perform when only 3/4 of the "life" is left. At least it is as easy to feel the limit with 100% as with 75% rear tyre life.
The breaks are wonderful. Very short stopping distance for the speed this car performs at. Trail-braking is likewise easy at high speeds.

Deep Forest: 1:13.789
Some how very predictable and unwieldy at the same time.
The c'e slaloms make any corrections to the car devastating. By the time I correct the problem (almost always over throttling). I'm way off my line and second behind my ghost.
Now that I understand the car better after TMr I'm not so much spinning out as losing my line, despite the influence of the c'e corners.
Turn-in is precise, even with pedal steering. Mid-corner is heavily influenced by turn-in and tyre heat needs to be balanced by throttle steering (keeping the rear planted). Corner exit is again the problem child. The longer I spend on a track the better I know the correct speeds for each corner and the better I can keep the car just below its limit.
If I spent hours I would be able to keep the car at its limit instead of just below. But, hay, I'm no alien.

Autumn Ring: 1:17.452
I was able to up my ghost by 0.5sec by the first T line but couldn't maintain it. This car is surprisingly agile and quick as long as I don't get throttle happy.
The car likes to enter a corner hot and use trail-braking to rotate around the tighter U corners. On my best lap I was able to slide smoothly into the cars throttle attitude on entry and maintain the same angle through a late apex on through to full throttle on exit. While in mid-corner the front tyres seemed to heat evenly and slowly up to a nice almost pink, white hot.
The slaloms is another story. The chaos that this car is capable of must be tamed through these quick movements. Only on the triple right apex at the end can I get anywhere near applying throttle for speed.
This car feels well balanced between refining my line lap after lap and keeping on the line and in control.

Cape Ring Full: 2:34.174
It took me a couple of restarts (something I don't usually do) before I got a clean sporting lap. Then I decided to push it and try for an alien time. It took me three laps. On the second lap, as I crashed, I learned the secret: brake control. Instead of my usual quick on and off, but as smooth as possible use of the brake I found that the car favored a faster application and slower lift-off. I shaved 3.3 seconds on that alone.
This is an excellent mid-speed track for this car. Most of the corners bring out the cars attitude.

All-in-all: A very accurate, massively overpowered, slightly rear heavy supercar with alot of personality.

Last edited:
ShmoGT / Pagani Zonda R '09

Stage 3: Tuned Model
670hp@7.4, 1210kg, 636pp @ 53.9 miles
Weight Distribution: 47/53

Sports Soft Tyres

I applied the listed gear ratio settings and got a top speed of 220mph, the tune lists a top speed of 249mph. Shouldn't be a problem on these tracks.
My peak hp is reached at 7400rpms. The tune lists 6800rpms. I would think it was mileage but ShmoGT has 55.5 miles listed along with the tune. 👍
My odometer would be higher but my PS3 locked up and I lost some miles.

Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:25.297
A different feel than the stock car. Turn-in is even sharper and less pedal dependent. Mid-corner has more feedback and throttle control has a much smoother bell curve, without such a quick falloff at the fringe. On corner exit the throttle control is much more forgiving and steering inputs are responsive without being twitchy.
What was a lively, well responsive car has become even more responsive, both in steering and throttle, and the limit of the car is broader and easier to maintain.
There is a problem during slaloms. The sway has a hard time keeping up and too quick of a steering input will send the car round.

Deep Forest: 1:13.461
Again it is easier to push to the limit, and pull back if I over reach it a little. But the a-synchronous sway makes the slaloms difficult. The c'e corners emphasize the sway problem, even with the increased grip and room for recovery.
Amazingly fast as long as I can keep.my foot in the throttle.
On my hot lap I must have had to "saw" gently but quickly to keep the car straight on four corner exits as I gave it as much throttle as I could. The same slaloming problem helps with single direction corners.

Autumn Ring: 1:17.026
This track is a bit tight for this wide car. The slaloms are hard to navigate because of the sway problem. It's hard to keep my speed up and control the steering using the pedals. Throttle lift-off is needed to help switch directions.

Cape Ring Full: 2:33.402
Thia car loves these mid-speed corners. The sway isn't a problem here, the track and sway are in harmony.
In the stock car I couldn't hit the jumps landing at full throttle, with this tune it's no problem.
This track/car feels more like refining my line than trying to stay on it.
Unlike the stock car this time is not an alien lap. That this tune can beat the stock time while sporting around is proof of its extra grip and control at the limit.

Last edited:

280hp@7.7, 800kg, 500pp @ 57.8 miles

<snip>

Thanks, it was put up against some tough competition in the 'Ring shootout, so I'm glad it can still hold its own somewhat. :lol: I've built a few more cars which handle similarly to this, the smooth yet sharp cornering and "not-quite-smoking-but-still-sliding" that this car so happily does at every corner is one of my favourite things about it. :D

Glad to see you enjoyed it Ronald. Yes! Finally, a good score from Ronald with one of my cars! *punches air* :lol:

@Krenkme: It was a fun car all around, the stock and your tuned versions. I never spent much time with the car before and I'm glad I did.

@OnBoy:
1) Thank you for snipping!
2) I didn't realize I was handing out scores. Lol. Your tunes are fun. Keep 'em commin'. 👍
Onboy123
...the smooth yet sharp cornering and "not-quite-smoking-but-still-sliding"...
Love this in a car. I'm going to do another of yours soon, any you suggest for fun rather than speed?

@ShmoGT: :)
Any minute now.

@everyone:
1) Should I link to the tune in the review post?
2) I've been thinking of making my reviews more technical. Would y'all prefer them the way they are currently or more technical/formal?

Last edited:
I think you should definitely include a link to the tune. If people read one and seems awesome they would want to try it and without a link they won't be able to.

@ShmoGT: I was sure it was true, but it's alot of work. I hope my new phone (T minus one week) can browse better. I'll get on my wifes computer tonight and start to update the thread with more links.

@everyone: any ideas on the formal vs freeform review style?

@everyone: any ideas on the formal vs freeform review style?
My vote would be for a combination, a bit of the freeform for general driving impressions combined with some more technical stuff for the nuts and bolts types. Start with the basic specs on the car, then your basic driving impressions and finish with a more technical breakdown of the cars handling and performance.👍👍

So kinda like I do now but breakup my text portion into two parts: "feelings" and technical?

Edit:
So far I've done my reviews by listing the cars stats then continued by describing how it handled on my four varied test tracks.

Instead should I do it like this:

Tuner name / car

???hp@?.?k, ???kg, ... (stats)...

General feelings about the car.

Specific handling info: turn-in; mid-corner; corner exit; accuracy; braking distance and control; throttle control and response; slalom response; pedal steering; etc...

Last edited:
@OnBoy:
1) Thank you for snipping!
2) I didn't realize I was handing out scores. Lol. Your tunes are fun. Keep 'em commin'. 👍

Love this in a car. I'm going to do another of yours soon, any you suggest for fun rather than speed?

Well, wait a few days and drive the car I'm building for the 60/40 40/60 shootout. Almost exactly the same style of car.

Another car that was rather well received was my 550PP Impreza Type C, so you could try that.

@Jahgee1124:
I have 2 pt cruisers I got today. I need to spend some time tomorrow building up my credits on some seasonals then I will review your tune.

@OnBoy:
Can't wait for the Shootout. Should be alot of good tunes.
The Subby looks good. I'll add it to my schedule.

Read your review of my zonda. Pretty intense right lol. I don't know why you would have different rpm and top speeds etc I will have to double check mine although I'm pretty damn sure it's correct. I love the car due to the insanity. It makes me wanna keep using it to try to master it. I usually brake than just lay off the gas completely until I pass the apex than slowly start pressing the gas until I'm out and it's full speeds ahead. Basically not worrying about speed at all and only focusing on making sure to stay on my line. I got much quicker times and easier to control that way. It's modeled after the tricolore in stats which is why it is like it is but if you put racing soft tires it becomes a beast and very little craziness compared to the sports tires. Thanks for the review.

So kinda like I do now but breakup my text portion into two parts: "feelings" and technical?

Edit:
So far I've done my reviews by listing the cars stats then continued by describing how it handled on my four varied test tracks.

Instead should I do it like this:

Tuner name / car

???hp@?.?k, ???kg, ... (stats)...

General feelings about the car.

Specific handling info: turn-in; mid-corner; corner exit; accuracy; braking distance and control; throttle control and response; slalom response; pedal steering; etc...
That would be my recommendation yes.👍👍

Sweet! Praiano just posted a tune for a 458 Italia. I like this car, can't wait to review it and his tune for it.

Jahgees' PT is in the works now. (He didn't specify a color with the tune so... I'm thinkin' orange of some kind. Hehe.)

I will try to update the links later today. I'll get rid of the schedule and list of cars reviewed from the OP and just link to the post that contains that info. And in that schedule and car list post I will get rid of the awful list of hot lap times. I don't think anyone uses it anyway and it's just clutter.

How do I see the number of visitors or views for my thread?

Also: As I am reviewing a car/tune I will start off like I always have, taking notes as I go through the four tracks. When I'm done I will edit these notes into my new format that isn't broken down by track. It's just easier this way rather than take notes somewhere else.

Last edited:
Jahgee1124 / Chrysler PT Cruiser
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7104187#post7104187

Stage 1: Stock Car
157hp@5.0, 1270kg, 362pp @ 1,614.3 miles (engine overhaul)
Drivetrain: FF
Weight Distribution: 58/42

Painted (TVR) Chameleon Orange w/ custom Rays Volk Racing CE28N painted (Mitsu) Iris Blue Pearl

Standard Setup
Comfort Soft tyres

(As a side note I used to own one of these, an '07 I think. It let me down. Please ignore the cursing when I mention the brakes.)

Times:
Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:54.312
Deep Forest: 1:41.983
Autumn Ring: 1:40.034
Cape Ring Full: 3:28.547

Feel:
Kinda pathetic. Just an underpowered FF. Very basic.

Technical:
The brakes are the biggest problem with this car. The car has a very short stopping distance (@$#%&!). The P/Wt ratio means that in several places all I need to do is lift-off the throttle to slow down as much as I need. They are hyper sensitive, I can only use about 10% to 20% of the break pedal before they start to lock up. At the point where I am usually letting off the brake in another car, that is the point where I start to apply them in this car. Keeping up as much speed through the corners as possible is vitally important for hot lapping but this is made difficult because I often scrub too much speed off before a long straight due to the overly sensative brakes.
The throttle is pretty much boolean (on/off, 1 or 0). Don't worry about being delicate, smooth always, delicate no. I need to keep the front wheels as straight as possible. Over-coiling was possible in other cars (if not productive) but in this car rotating the steering wheel far past what is needed will scrub massive amounts of speed and drop my line.
At high speeds brake lift-off can help rotate the car quickly. This is helpful for making a longer exit: break early, lift-off the brake just after I start to turn-in. Get on the throttle fully quickly once the car is anywhere near straight.
The gears are long. Peak hp is at 5k rpm but if I shift that early I come in too low into the power band. 5.7 to 6.0 is about right.
The Slaloms, low speed and high, and c'e corners don't effect this cars attitude much. The deep soft suspension soaks up all the cornering without any fuss and in ralative harmony.
The tyres last a long time. Eight laps of Trial Mountain (r) and they're only down about 15%.

Last edited:
Jahgee1124 / Chrysler PT Cruiser

Stage 2: Modded Car
328hp@5.9, 1056kg, 472pp @ 1,684.6 miles (oil changel)

Comfort Soft tyres

Times:
Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:48.902
Deep Forest: 1:35.704
Autumn Ring: 1.36.827
Cape Ring Full: 3:17.605

Feel:
Absurdly overpowered, under tuned FF. Interesting as a driving exersize and training aid only.
The front end is alive and the rear is dead.

Technical:
The car now has more than enough power to smoke the front tyres on anything but a straight. The body roll is far too slow and can't keep up with the quicker movements needed for the higher speed the car can now achieve, especially when combined with the extra power. When exiting a corner onto a c'e straight (like both uphill sections of Deep Forest) the car simply cannot handle the camber movements and accelleration, even when straight. I've watched as first my left then my right tyre alternated red then blue as I exited the first tunnel at DF, my car was straight and the only reason for the alternating over-powering is the change in camber.
The gearing is long. There is more than enough power throughout the entire power band.
The brakes are still sensative and hard to judge, but still powerful and able to stop the car quickly even at the increased speeds. Unless I go from a hard accelleration to full brakes that is. :)
Tyre temprature is the most important aspect of this car. I spend half my time watching the track and the other half looking at the tyre temp HUD. Sinse braking, accellerating, and steering all go through the front tyres they get overloaded, heat wise, quickly and then it takes awhile for them to cool down enough to respond again, by which time I've lost my line and lap. The LSD cannot keep up with the power. On just about every corner exit the car wants to burn one of the front tyres, usually the inside.
Tyre life is short. The rear tyres never heat up and the front are always white or red.

Last edited:
Jahgee1124 / Chrysler PT Cruiser '00

328hp@5.9, 1056kg, 472pp @ 1,724.3 miles (oil change)

Comfort Soft tyres
Note: the tune calls for Sport Soft tyres, but really they aren't needed. This tune handles these tyres well and it's personality shines through. Grippier tyres would smother it's personality, even while making the car more managable.

Times:
Trial Mountain (Reverse): 1:47.645
Deep Forest: 1:33.182
Autumn Ring: 1:35.974
Cape Ring Full: 3:14.680

Feel:
I feel like Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, "Tyre temprature is most important, children. Sense all the inputs go through the front tyres you have to keep an eye on their heat."
Veruca Salt, "You've already said that."
This car feels like a YellowBird but in reverse, a driBwolleY.
I wanted to keep hot lapping Cape Ring Full and found myself red timing three out of four laps do to my eagerness to push the car past its limit. A more conservative approach would probably net at least five seconds for me.

Technical:
I still need to keep my mind on the tyre heat but the car is much better. Throttle control is still needed on every corner but the limit is farther out and much broader. I don't over cook the tyres nearly as easily, they heat and retain the same temprature even through most corners even when pushing. What little disparity there is between inner and outer front wheel-spin is actually workable. By the time I was hot lapping Cape Ring Full (my fourth and last test track) I could actually turn the inside tyre nice and pink (just over white but not nearly into red) just before I made a lateral change. The near perfect tyre temp helped the now outside tyre grip better. I've never experienced a FF that could do this. 👍 It is amazing.
Brake distance (&*^*$# @!$%#) is still relatively short but still too sensative for my taste. Pedal steering has just the right amount attitude adjustment so that it helps rather than hinders rotation.
The body roll that was so excessive on the Modded car is gone, completely. It is now in sync with the speed the car is now capable of. Corner entrance, mid-, and exit are more harmonious and don't seem as desperate parts anymore, having to manage first one and then the other. Now they connect from entrance to mid- to exit smoothly, even during a quick slalom like Autumn Ring. C'e slaloms don't hinder the car as much. The front tyres don't want to act like I'm rounding a hard corner just because the ground is shifting under the car.
I do still need to ramain smooth and never over coil the steering wheel. If I do push the car too hard and I need to make any sudden steering corrections (like those caused by DFs c'e complexes) then I lose alot of speed and the cars top heavy nature slaps me across the face.
Tyre life is vastly improved, by around a factor of five. If I'm not hot lapping then they last even longer. And the wear is more consistant, not favoring the "outside" tyre more.

Last edited:
*SNIP*

How do I see the number of visitors or views for my thread?

*CUT*

If you are using a PC or someting with a curser, move it to the number of posts and your views will show up. Or you can just ask someone to check (like myself) and they can for you.

This thread has 4,516 views :cheers:

It's a snip fest!

Thanks for the info Krenkme. I'm on a computer now but it doesn't show.
Nevermind, I found it.

I finished linking to the reviews in the OP. And I linked to the tune in the first post of a review.

Now I'm on to editing the OP and Schedule / Review List post.

I'll continue Jahgees' review early tomorrow, I promise.

If I missed a link please let me know.

Back