Gran Turismo 5's Updated Clutch Review.

Of course, otherwise heel-toe or any other kind of blipped / rev-matched downshifts wouldn't work. The game keeps track of the previous gear (excluding neutral) and only applies the throttle check when you change up - what they should do is keep track of the currently in-game selected gear and the position of the gear lever instead.

This does mean that double-de-clutching-with-blip on the way up is actually insanely difficult to do with any real pace in GT5 - not that it actually makes a difference in the game anyway, given the simple drivetrain model.

I do not think you need to blip throttle in double-de-clutching upshifts. Matching should happen as you put neutral and release clutch in the middle of the shift? Also when upshifting revs should go down to match higher gear and applying throttle does not help in this.
Please correct if a I am wrong?

It used to be done as a way to free the gears / clutch up, back when you actually moved cogs around on the shafts, and only needs to be a gentle touch, just to give a window of neutral torque. That doesn't happen much now, since practically all gearboxes are constant mesh. You still hear truck drivers doing it occasionally, but that might just be because the time it takes to operate the gear levers means the revs drop too low for clutchless changes, which a skilled driver does to avoid clutch (linkage) wear (but then a skilled driver could probably move those levers quickly enough to avoid the blip anyway).

In GT5, of course, it's all just for show. :dopey:

Of course, otherwise heel-toe or any other kind of blipped / rev-matched downshifts wouldn't work. The game keeps track of the previous gear (excluding neutral) and only applies the throttle check when you change up - what they should do is keep track of the currently in-game selected gear and the position of the gear lever instead.
Not all cars can change down while on the accelerator.

RayRoocroft
As stated that is correct, you have to have your foot off the accelerator.

But I wonder, I have always driven a manual car, and i always take my foot fully off the accelerate when shifting gears, so why are people moaning about taking ones foot fully off?

:lol: They want to abuse the clutch and doing flat shift all the time.:sly:

Sorry mate, but that's not what we're trying to do here. This has nothing to do with flat-shifting or clutch abusing. The issue lies with the programming that requires us to lift 100% off the throttle before we press the clutch even 1%.

This is not anywhere close to real-life shifting. As I'm letting off the throttle in real life: from 100% to 50% to 20% to 5% to 0%(fully off throttle) -ANYWHERE in that range I can start pressing my clutch pedal (usually I do it at much less than 50% throttle) and it will shift just fine. This action all takes place in less than half a second, so we're talking about a very fast and important interaction here. Now, in gt5, the first half of the shifting process takes upwards of 1 full second- which is a lifetime on a racetrack, very unrealistic, and extremely frustrating. 👎

I fully understand that if I'm still pressing the throttle at say, 90%- then sure, I'm going to burn up my clutch. Nobody will argue that.

But at 20% throttle and still lifting off, we should be able to start pressing in that clutch with ZERO ill effects. In real life AND gt5. Having to wait until we're at 0% throttle before we ever even think about touching that clutch pedal is f*ing ridiculous. I am beginning to question how closely Kaz is working with his team of programmers these days. Somewhere there is a massive disconnect, and the loyal fanbase is paying a dear price. I mostly use race cars with sequential shifting these days- paddles or the slap-shifter mode on my G25. I want my clutch back, and I'm not alone.

Sorry mate, but that's not what we're trying to do here. This has nothing to do with flat-shifting or clutch abusing. The issue lies with the programming that requires us to lift 100% off the throttle before we press the clutch even 1%.

This is not anywhere close to real-life shifting. As I'm letting off the throttle in real life: from 100% to 50% to 20% to 5% to 0%(fully off throttle) -ANYWHERE in that range I can start pressing my clutch pedal (usually I do it at much less than 50% throttle) and it will shift just fine. This action all takes place in less than half a second, so we're talking about a very fast and important interaction here. Now, in gt5, the first half of the shifting process takes upwards of 1 full second- which is a lifetime on a racetrack, very unrealistic, and extremely frustrating. 👎

I fully understand that if I'm still pressing the throttle at say, 90%- then sure, I'm going to burn up my clutch. Nobody will argue that.

But at 20% throttle and still lifting off, we should be able to start pressing in that clutch with ZERO ill effects. In real life AND gt5. Having to wait until we're at 0% throttle before we ever even think about touching that clutch pedal is f*ing ridiculous. I am beginning to question how closely Kaz is working with his team of programmers these days. Somewhere there is a massive disconnect, and the loyal fanbase is paying a dear price. I mostly use race cars with sequential shifting these days- paddles or the slap-shifter mode on my G25. I want my clutch back, and I'm not alone.

Bam 👍
This.

I hadn't noticed that; any examples?
I guess I'm expecting it to be one of the auto-clutch jobs, like the SLS or GTR, where the blip is automatic anyway.
Sorry for the late reply. But yeah, my mistake when I said that. Probably was just a bad change down which led me to think it only worked on some cars.

Were we able to move the shifter knob as we press the clutch pedal before update 2.09? Still need to fully press the clutch down though (NOOOO, you don't say.)

Back