Gran Turismo 5's Updated Clutch Review.

The best clutch system I ever played was SEGA's F355 Challenge Arcade, the H gated shifter, the metal pedals, the clutch, they were awesome, heel and toe felt natural and can be done just like in real life, quick + precise. And as far as I can remember I could flat shift as well. If GT5 could better the old game, no body would complain.

nah cant flat shift in f355 unfortunately, i go blackpool in coral island they have a machine there, always have to play it :) ive got to say it was ahead of its time but its showing its age now!

we need a culmination of live for speed (the introduction of the clutch is great and very analogue) along with getting worn and allowing more throttle during shifting (with detrimental effects).

tbh i think the debate has ended now as nothing is going to change much lol! I just recommend trying other clutch systems.

nah cant flat shift in f355 unfortunately, i go blackpool in coral island they have a machine there, always have to play it :) ive got to say it was ahead of its time but its showing its age now!

we need a culmination of live for speed (the introduction of the clutch is great and very analogue) along with getting worn and allowing more throttle during shifting (with detrimental effects).

tbh i think the debate has ended now as nothing is going to change much lol! I just recommend trying other clutch systems.

The one I played years ago must have been hacked, the gear can be changed without the clutch while full throttle:crazy:, but I still played it like a real car.
The graphics may be old, but the race experience still one of the best, I used to win at Monza and Nurburgring, it has 3 screen set up, and seat mounted speakers.

Hi Guys first post here.

Okay so I was really frustrated at the updated clutch (G27). I find myself forever miss shifting while heel and toe-ing and I cant necessarily up shift as quick as I used to (well not without the risk of miss shifting anyway)

Now this is because the clutch "bite" is all the way at the floor. Now I did a little exercise where I rest my foot on the clutch (depressed about half way) and shift from there. This reduced the clutch travel immensely WHICH MADE A NIGHT AND DAY difference in shifting for me. 👍👍

So this got me thinking, Now I haven't opened up my pedals but how easy could it be making a mod that stops the clutch from coming all the way up? <--- This would make me happy for daaaaayyyyyys :dunce:

The best clutch system I ever played was SEGA's F355 Challenge Arcade, the H gated shifter, the metal pedals, the clutch, they were awesome, heel and toe felt natural and can be done just like in real life, quick + precise. And as far as I can remember I could flat shift as well. If GT5 could better the old game, no body would complain.

That was my favourite arcade game, not seen one in a while. The last one I knew of was lost to fire! :(

Mogo
Hi Guys first post here.

Okay so I was really frustrated at the updated clutch (G27). I find myself forever miss shifting while heel and toe-ing and I cant necessarily up shift as quick as I used to (well not without the risk of miss shifting anyway)

Now this is because the clutch "bite" is all the way at the floor. Now I did a little exercise where I rest my foot on the clutch (depressed about half way) and shift from there. This reduced the clutch travel immensely WHICH MADE A NIGHT AND DAY difference in shifting for me. 👍👍

So this got me thinking, Now I haven't opened up my pedals but how easy could it be making a mod that stops the clutch from coming all the way up? <--- This would make me happy for daaaaayyyyyys :dunce:

If that's what you really want to do why not tie a piece of string through one of the pedal holes and then anchor the other end under the pedal case. That would stop the full return cheap and easy ;-)

If that's what you really want to do why not tie a piece of string through one of the pedal holes and then anchor the other end under the pedal case. That would stop the full return cheap and easy ;-)

You kind sir are just... Actually *Brofist* hahahaha.
I'm actually going to try that:dopey:

Hi Guys first post here.

I'm thinking of doing this as well... Have a clutch with about 1.5" of travel..

Welcome to :gtplanet: :)
:cheers:

The more I think about it, then more I wonder whether the person who programs the clutch actually owns a manual car. In what world does a functioning car shift into neutral when the clutch is engaged and the gear lever is out of N? It's extremely frustrating because it means you can't shift quickly, and if you do shift too quickly, chances are you'll get into neutral. This is especially prominent in high powered RWD cars where you get a lot of wheel spin, and we all know that wheel spin = no shifting.

Surprisingly, or un-surprisingly, Shift 2 had a great shifting/clutching simulation.

Too bad that was about the only good thing about that game.

The more I think about it, then more I wonder whether the person who programs the clutch actually owns a manual car. In what world does a functioning car shift into neutral when the clutch is engaged and the gear lever is out of N? It's extremely frustrating because it means you can't shift quickly, and if you do shift too quickly, chances are you'll get into neutral. This is especially prominent in high powered RWD cars where you get a lot of wheel spin, and we all know that wheel spin = no shifting.

How else would you want a miss-shift to be simulated? In real life, in case you give a damn about your trany's lifes, you do not brutally force a gear in when you already hear a kracking sound from the gearwheels. So what you do is leave the lever in N let go off the clutch pedal and press it again, all the way down this time, and try to shift in the demanded gear again.

So as long as there is no change in hardware, i.e. gear boxes, I'm fine with how its simulated... and real life like virtually our goal should simply be: practice, try to avoid miss-shifts.

For the last time, that's not the clutch. The clutch is fine, let PD leave it as-is; the next thing to focus on is the gear-selection code. Please stop complaining about the wrong thing; PD are bad enough at misunderstanding our requests without us misunderstanding our requests too.

Presumably, the H-pattern shifting was tacked onto the existing / "historical" sequential shifting that GT has always had. That has meant a gear can change only when one of two buttons is pressed, and it can only go one gear at a time (except when you press reverse, which is a special case, not unlike the current H-pattern handling) - that is, it's all "event based". This means that gear selection has only ever been a one-shot affair: press a button and the gear changes, and that's the only way it can change.

With H-pattern, that's not true, because now there's the chance that it'll fail certain conditions. Since the shifting code is all built around button presses and releases (events), what is the only way to re-select the gear you were trying for? The "button" in this case being the combination of micro-switches in the shifter gates.
What needs to happen now is the gear lever position needs to be "polled" at regular intervals by the game to make sure it's still where the game thinks it is, rather than invoking a bit of code only when the lever position changes (i.e. via the old, event-based code.) This is because the code can interrupt the shift if conditions aren't met, something like:
Code:
! on button press
IF h_shift
    IF (clutch_in AND throttle_off)
        DO direct_shift
    ELSE
        DO nothing
    END IF
ELSE
    DO sequential_shift
END IF

The perceived effect, when you fail these extra criteria and land on "DO nothing", is that a gear has been changed (to neutral) without input from the hardware - although in the code what really happens is the game's gear stays the same (neutral), despite the hardware having moved somewhere else. So you need two more button presses (first to neutral, then the gear you want) to get going again.

If polling is too inefficient or messy (event-based systems are very computationally efficient for busy systems and, in theory, tidy), then they should store two gear statuses. Namely: "current gear" and "requested gear". Then when the lever moves from neutral to, say, fourth, the game will register that the requested gear is fourth, and as long as the lever stays in fourth, that will not change. Then the game will attempt to shift (e.g. by simulating a button press, so as not to have to change too much code) as long as the current gear and the requested gear are different, and only update the current gear once the shift is successful - in the case above, this is only conditional on the throttle and clutch, which means you'd need only put the clutch in again and leave your foot off the throttle; ideally the last requirement wouldn't exist either. This is how I perceive iRacing and Live For Speed handle their H-pattern shifting (with a few extra checks for stuff like rev-matched clutchless changes, and load-modeling for sequential boxes), whilst other games don't even include the clutch as a condition, ever.

It's a simple thing conceptually, but it's remarkably technical when you get down to the details.

Here's a pic of Fido San from PD hard at work adjusting the clutch for the 2.08 update! ;)

a.aaa.jpg

locoman88
I also noticed that once I updated GT5, it would black screen when I enter online rooms. Anyone else?

Your not the first to say that. Fairly common I think.

How else would you want a miss-shift to be simulated? In real life, in case you give a damn about your trany's lifes, you do not brutally force a gear in when you already hear a kracking sound from the gearwheels. So what you do is leave the lever in N let go off the clutch pedal and press it again, all the way down this time, and try to shift in the demanded gear again.
PD can start by implementing transmission damage and clutch wear for bad shifts. Honestly, ever effort they've made to make the transmission and clutch behave more realistically has been terrible.
So as long as there is no change in hardware, i.e. gear boxes, I'm fine with how its simulated... and real life like virtually our goal should simply be: practice, try to avoid miss-shifts.
In GT5? It is extremely annoying when you misshift for the stupidest of reasons. As many others have pointed out, even when the clutch is fully depressed, the accelerator is fully released, and you change gear (especially prominent going to 2nd), chances are you'll get into neutral. I highly doubt any of the drag racers use a clutch + H-shifter for this reason.

Griffith500: Okay!

PD can start by implementing transmission damage and clutch wear for bad shifts. Honestly, ever effort they've made to make the transmission and clutch behave more realistically has been terrible.

In GT5? It is extremely annoying when you misshift for the stupidest of reasons. As many others have pointed out, even when the clutch is fully depressed, the accelerator is fully released, and you change gear (especially prominent going to 2nd), chances are you'll get into neutral. I highly doubt any of the drag racers use a clutch + H-shifter for this reason.

Griffith500: Okay!

The only time this happened to me was because I selected 2nd too soon after depressing the clutch; what I call the "2nd gear timer". It's not there any more, though, at least not in Practice mode, and wasn't in 2.07 either.

Any other time you miss is simply because you either didn't have the clutch in (fully) or you had too much throttle on (> 10%), or both. If you take your time, chances are you'll not end up in neutral. And it doesn't even have to be slow, remember the age-old "nine-tenths" maxim.

That doesn't excuse the handling of the gear selection, though, which really should be improved - I hope I can assure you that if it were fixed, and the throttle check removed, you would cease to have any real problems. As it stands, the feedback loop is broken with regard to shift timings, because recovering from a missed shift is so frustrating.

Finally, the clutch itself has been improved immensely in 2.08, so you're wrong with the "every effort" thing. I agree about clutch heating, and drivetrain damage in principle, but there would need to be other changes to the game regarding the balance (or split) between "casual-" and realism-oriented gameplay.

The only time this happened to me was because I selected 2nd too soon after depressing the clutch; what I call the "2nd gear timer". It's not there any more, though, at least not in Practice mode, and wasn't in 2.07 either.
Interestingly, if you driving a manual car with paddle shifters (or even L2 or R2), there will be a lag between 1st and 2nd.

Interestingly, if you driving a manual car with paddle shifters (or even L2 or R2), there will be a lag between 1st and 2nd.

Which, in my opinion, is why the "timer" was added in the first place - to level the playing field. Standing starts in Prologue were initially great fun with the H-shifter, because you could get the jump on those sequential folk ridiculously easily. Even after they added it, I could pull away from people with little effort on the straights because I could change faster, and that was with the throttle check. It's not the case any more because the sequential changing is somehow much faster in GT5 now, of course, so actually I'm the one being left behind.

Really the fix, rather than add the silly timer, was to change the sequential shifting mechanic, something along the lines of: time spent with the button pressed determines the time spent actually changing gear and the moment you release it, the game releases the clutch and power can be transmitted again. If you release early, flat-shift, or otherwise drag the clutch (they are "analogue" buttons!), you'll heat it up.

Really the fix, rather than add the silly timer, was to change the sequential shifting mechanic, something along the lines of: time spent with the button pressed determines the time spent actually changing gear and the moment you release it, the game releases the clutch and power can be transmitted again. If you release early, flat-shift, or otherwise drag the clutch (they are "analogue" buttons!), you'll heat it up.
That's the other problem; manual cars shift too quickly in GT5, so that's another disadvantage if you're using a shifter.

What about DFGT users?
DFGT wheels don't have analog buttons.

Yeah, I thought about that after posting. Then I thought "oh well" and realised it's really good that I don't make games. ;)
Maybe if I did, I'd think about it a bit longer, I'm sure there's a way around it.

Anyway, in those cases the clutch could still be automatic, and the DS3 guys should be able opt to use the auto-clutch, too. Or maybe it's just needlessly complicating the process and auto-clutch would work fine for most people anyway, we don't know until we try it.

GT5 should have the gear shift button act as a clutch as well for DS3/stick users, so holding the shift up or down will actually engage the clutch, and the engine will rev freely, release the button, gear will be changed. That would be much more realistic and even the playing field with pedal users. There was a PS2 racing game that employed this scheme, it was great, was it Kaido Battle ? or we can have dedicated clutch button for stick user like in PS2's TOCA Race Driver 3, it was neat and fun.

Since the issue of "timers" has come up one wondered forever+1 how in many replays I've seen (including GTA replays so its not a pre 2.07 thing) people get "instant" shifts with no lag at all in between. You know what I mean, the throttle blipping red for a moment.

Back on topic I think that once this is truly made "real" the sequential shifts are always going to be substantially faster than a standard H simply due to how they work.

Back on topic I think that once this is truly made "real" the sequential shifts are always going to be substantially faster than a standard H simply due to how they work.
Very true. There is a reason why in WRC they use sequential shifts. :dopey:
And in that respect ... why drop the sequential option on G27 compared to G25? :)

Less than a week (4 days of use) with the G27 and I've gotten the hang of it. I don't misshift EASILY. Downshifting is obviously when I get the most misshifts and is only a matter of becoming accustomed to it.

I mainly drift so I was worried about how this would affect me, and it hasn't made the experience any worse. I only need to get the hang of downshifting more than one gear right before a turn.

I took an S1 Elise out on the N24 circuit on CMs and only missed twice. Once because I was panicked from missing my braking point at the very end of the lap, trying to change down and maintain control (no ABS), and once coming onto the start / finish straight, simply out of negligence / over-exuberance / frustration. So yeah, I think I'm used to it now, too, after only about an hour's driving since the update.

Now fix the other stuff PD :)👍

Back