So, just how bad are Mustang IIs?

• Thread starter Tornado
  • 71 comments
Someone near where I live is selling one, and because I think that would be just the ultimate conversation starter (That and I want to torture myself for not jumping when a C4 Corvette went up for sale and was already gone 4 days later), I'm considering buying it. He only wants 800 for it.

Eh they aren't ALL bad. They did have crappy engines...but then again most of the cars during that time did also. They had (IMO) the cool Cobra II and King Cobra models, but I believe they had the same poorly placed fuel tank as on the Pinto.

thats the ugliest Mustang EVER produced, instead do yourself a favor and buy something else like a first gen Ranger :P

Toronado
Have a problem getting 300 MPH out of your car? I can probably help.

Hey man, go for it. 300 mph in a Mustang II sounds cool 👍
It's probably an okay daily, but can you live with 90 bhp in a Mustang and poor mpgs (so I've heard)?

Didn't know what one was so I googled it. U-G-L-Y. Though for $800 you can't really be that picky if it's in good nick.

Alternatively, get the more muscular 1970s Celica.:P Seriously, I had to Google it as well, and it doesn't look nice, not at all. I probably wouldn't even recognise it as a Mustang at all if I seen one on the road.

yo'll all call it ugly, I'll call it "investment in the future". there's very few of either Pinto or Mustang II left floating around. they all went straight to the crusher, and since there's been a a "metal rush" around here (the price of scrap metals went ridiculously high when the Fuel prices did), anything older than about 5 years ago went in for the cash value.

to put it in a European sense...think Cavalier :P

do I have to remind yous that the Fox platforms are also considered junk, now?

Strip out all the emissions crap, put a big cam in it, decently-sized carb, and you'll have decent performance.

The main reason they were so slow was that everything was run off of Vacuum, and they dropped compression a ton. When Electronic systems were introduced, they could eliminate many of the vacuum hoses. Most of the stuff is just bogging your motor down, anyway, and quit cleaning the emissions about two years after the car was built. Same way on the (later) Nova.

By the way, there has to be SOME reason Hot-rodders love the Mustang II front end...

I seem to have made the wrong impression. The Mustang II is not going to be bought out of necessity, nor will it replace my current vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to do anything with it. And it certainly won't be a daily driver. It has less power, less frugality and is probably slower than what I already have. I just want to see people's faces when I say I bought a Mustang and then show up in a II.

ND4SPD
By a fox body instead IMO.
Ironically there is also one of these for sale for not much more money (1100). But I don't want to be associated with 5.0 owners.

Lemme put it this way: if they're under 25, and not fans of domestics, they'll probably think it's a neat old car. If they're either Domestic guys or are old enough to remember it, they might tease you a little, but, really, I think the guys in the Classic/Antique Car hobby won't be at all displeased you're trying to get into it.

Find an old car club near your location, and drive the thing on cruises. '70s cars are starting to become...well, not hot, but warm items, and begrudgingly appreciated. Compacts like the Pinto, Vega, and Gremlin have small cult followings, and I'll bet you'll find some loyal Mustang II owners out there, too. Dare I say it, but there may even be a club.

I still say tear out most of the emissions crap if you know that the car'll run well enough without it. If not, replace all the vacuum hose: it'll probably need it. Emissions-controlled Carburetor engines = Nightmares if not well maintained.

Last edited:
Mustang II's are dirt, only buy one if you plan on heavily modifying it to make it what it should of been 30 years ago. The looks can be somewhat solved if you paint it a darker solid color to hide the hideous lines.

Think this only with better wheels and an all black paintjob (covering the grey/chrome trim)--minus the Cobra and striping--and ditch the rear window louvers:
1977MustangCobraII.jpg

Or make it look like this:
118234_large+1978_Ford_Mustang_II_Hatchback+driver_front_side_view.jpg

Still, $800 might be an ok investment if there isn't alot of work to be done other than drive/powertrain.

Blasphemy!

One of the reasons the Mustang II's look so bad is the dang 5mph bumpers that stick out way too much.

Even in domestic-friendly Michigan, they're not well-liked. I'd likely laugh and point, others may choose to throw rotten produce or small children. Its their decision, really.

JCE
Quote:embarrassed:riginally Posted by Sniffs

Blasphemy!

fox underpins Mustang/capris, Granada/Monarch, Fairmont/zephyr, Little LTD/mini Marquis...basically late 70's-early 80's Ford lemon factory.
the 79 body mustangs are what they'd call in England "Chav Bait" (especially the yucky 79 mk 1 types...gimmie the second) in this area. stripped down, clapped out rolling radios with a giant craptacular engine that's louder than a pipeless Harley-Davidson, and scrapes the pavement every time it goes by. and NOT on purpose. (the same goes for a lot of mid eighties Pontiac Grand Prix's around here). they were half decent when I was in High-school, but NOW? nuh-uh.

blaspheme me all you want, 79 body stangs are all rolling radios, here. burgered out (american for "riced").
I also HAD a fox bod as my first car. it weighed friggin 2900 lbs, couldn't go in the snow with a couple hundred pounds of weight in the trunk, and blew my mind at 75MPH...and this with only the 3.8 :P

That's the one! Much better then the blender noises from the 4-cylinders running with coffee cans.

In my personal opinion, it will be a waste of time. Around where I live, nobody cares about the car. Domestic, Import, Mustang, whatever fans. Nobody cares. It is not a (status of)Pinto.

You mean that growling roaring noise that bursts your eardrums?

Aww gator is scared of a little noise :P

I wouldn't consider four cylinder farts singing, but with those sensitive ear drums of yours I guess things could sound quite different :lol: I'm only joking of course

If you have the space, the money to spend, and if it's in good shape I'd definately buy it. You can slowly restore it, then keep it stored in a safe place. In 20 years I'll bet you $100 a car collector or museum would be dying to get their hands on that rather silly piece of American car history.

I always thought muscle cars sounded like obese people choking on lard.

EDIT: I can feel my car too, it makes all my mirrors vibrate and I can feel it through the seat and wheel, but then again mine doesn't sound like a bee, I've gotten a few compliments on how my car sounds, and it's only got an intake.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back