Head Tracking Confirmed for GT5!!!

• Thread starter turbomp301
  • 392 comments
GTP_HAAS599
your kiddin' right?
Very excited about this feature. I can finally look through a corner now.

Anyone else excited about this feature?

Look at the very last sentence of the press release today.

It's one feature I've really beenn looking ofrward to.

Any solid proof?

Look in the news section under announced GT5 features:

User Interface
The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and the same design concept. The icons change color
Able to track the movement of Cockpit Camera interface (confirmed in full 3-D. The camera can be fully manipulated and you can opt to have your head tracked by the PSEye)

I'm not sure how it will work, if I turn my head slightly to one side, and the camera pans, I'm then not looking directly at my screen..

I'll go and see if I can find some vids of this type of thing in action, I must be misunderstanding how it works..

Can someone clarify for me?

Well, what's there to explain?

When you come up to a corner, the driver (or camera) shifts view toward the apex of the turn.

That's how it works right?

Where?
If it's true then I'm disappointed...
For me inside-car view in GT5:P is perfect...

EDIT: LOL
Head tracking.. probably with use of PS Eye? Then it's OK ;)

I assume it's going to use EyeToy.. as if I woulkd't have an ocean of wires behind by table as is. :irked:

Well, what's there to explain?

When you come up to a corner, the driver (or camera) shifts view toward the apex of the turn.

That's how it works right?

the movement of Cockpit Camera interface (confirmed in full 3-D. The camera can be fully manipulated and you can opt to have your head tracked by the PSEye)

I thought it tracked your head, moving the view corresponding to your head position, i.e. turn to the right, the camera pans to the right..

I don't know now! you've confused me..

:) I'll sit back and wait for someone that knows what it actually is..

Sorry for the ramblings of a mad man..

I thought it tracked your head, moving the view corresponding to your head position, i.e. turn to the right, the camera pans to the right..

I don't know now! you've confused me..

:) I'll sit back and wait for someone that knows what it actually is..

Sorry for the ramblings of a mad man..

Well if it helps you out, disregard my comment. I've changed my thoughts in the light of new information.

This is a feature that can be turned on or off. Basically, you turn your head and the in-game camera moves in sync. Im hoping/assuming there will be some sensitivity settings though.

I'm not sure how it will work, if I turn my head slightly to one side, and the camera pans, I'm then not looking directly at my screen..

I'll go and see if I can find some vids of this type of thing in action, I must be misunderstanding how it works..

Can someone clarify for me?

[/QUOTE]

I'd also recommend doing a search on TrackIR (for PC)

I used Track IR for a long time in a combat flight sim called IL-2 and its a really awsome tool for controlling head movment. It was supported in GTR aswell.
my only concern with it would be if the eye toy can track you in full 3D exsample- the track IR virson i had could not track in 3d (they can now) so it couldn't tell the differance between me looking left and me leanning to the left in my chair, witch ment i had to hold very very still. This can be overcome with practice but it frustratting at first.
I'd love to see it put in to GT5 so i could finnaly make good use of my mirriors.

That video explains it all, it tracks your actual eyes, not your head. I wonder if I can look down and see the cupholders? Or my knees?

...so it couldn't tell the differance between me looking left and me leanning to the left in my chair, witch ment i had to hold very very still...

If you watch the video above you can see it tracks using your whole face against the position of your nose, so if you moved in your chair without actually turning your head it should see that your nose hasn't changed much in position in relation to your whole face.

If done well this sounds like a really good feature, may even make driving with the incar view enjoyable enough to use...
Should hopefully make it a bit more realistic than the version used in prologue

Will be very tempted to add the necessary equipment to my shopping list when the game comes out...

damn, i thought i'd never buy a PSEye.

but oh welll.

seriously, if it's anything like the video above, i WILL buy one. instantly.

The question is will triple screen be supported and also work with this, now that would be impressive!!!!

I hope they have included triple view to keep up with FM3
Ive even bought the extra consoles in readyness for my new d.i.y cockpit.

damn, i thought i'd never buy a PSEye.

but oh welll.

seriously, if it's anything like the video above, i WILL buy one. instantly.

I bought one off a friend in February (only because he was selling it for $15) and to date I have used it about 4 times. Head tracking is making me a lot happier about my purchase.:sly:

The question is will triple screen be supported and also work with this, now that would be impressive!!!!

I hope they have included triple view to keep up with FM3
Ive even bought the extra consoles in readyness for my new d.i.y cockpit.

I think I saw your thread on the UK site. If that was you good luck with the build. It looks like it is going to be one of the better amateur (I hesitate to call it that) jobs I have seen.

Last edited:
This is awsome just what i was hoping for!

As for Triple screen support it´s a given as if i remember correctly all Gts had that, and i bet the headtracking will work fine there too. :)

I think I saw your thread on the UK site. If that was you good luck with the build. It looks like it is going to be one of the better amateur (I hesitate to call it that) jobs I have seen.

Thanks, your welcome their anytime.

I'm very excited about this feature, but the wording has me troubled. The interior damage bit: Are they saying that only 170 models will have interior "damage," or are they saying that only 170 models will have an interior view? That's a tad troubling if it's the latter.

Back