Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1986-1991 Mazda RX-7 suggested by Thatman :.

RX7_HKS.JPG

Specs:
http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?referrerid=73579&t=552354

Last edited:
Sub-zero. First proper application of rotary power, defined the tuner car sector for the next decade at least.

Was considering sub-zero... but I'll reserve that vote for the RX3 and the twin-turbo RX7.

This may have been the best generation of RX7 there was... but the twin-turbo FD was frigid compared to this... imagine... a car so fast that it would blow itself up everytime you dragged it... :lol:

I've gone with uncool on this,

the main reasons being that the looks are a little too much ripping off Porsche, you'd forever have to be explaining why a rotery engine is good (not a cool thing with a car) amd its in that gap too old to be a modern car but not old enough to be a classic.

This said as a former Engineer and as a lover of cars I do have a lot of respect for it for the Rotery engine (I just dont think a rotery engine can ever be cool).

Cool. Classic 80's import. Would be a lot better if the engine didn't self destruct every 100K though.

Cool with a rotary. Sub-zero with a v8.

Sub Ze...Oh wait, Look at it!!! Well, it's cool then:

1. Rotatory engine. Powerful (1.3L Turbo developing 202HP), interesting, and has the word "Wankel" (which as Hammond say, its cool).
2. Coming to think of it, not so bad looking.
3. RWD drift machine.
4. An RX-7 badge, it's a legend.

Last edited:
Very nice cars and have some descent numbers to go along with them.It's is too bad,as others have pointed out,the lifespan of this car is around 100k, (engine design - what),it's still a COOL car.I've had first hand driving experience with one of these,I was impressed not overly,but was impressed with what it could do.

Cool. In my opinion one of the nicest-looking 80's sportscars. Rwd, plenty of power and the rotary engine gives it personality.

Cool. Sporty looks, good performance, equipped with a rotary engine. It doesn't have the "wow!" factor every car I consider to be Sub-Zero has, however.

I'm very borderline with this. There were other similar yet better cars out at the time (944) but it's innovative engine just sneaks it into cool.

Uncool. It's a rotary engine and rotary engines need an explanation. It's also not old enough to be a Japanese class nor new enough to be considered modern. It's from the period of the 1980's when everything was just meh. The looks are very standard too.

If this was a first or third generation RX-7 it'd be a different story.

Cool. I like the idea of Wankel engines, I just dislike the sound they make, so I can't 100% love the car. It still looks cool and performs well. Cool enough...

And, I second what Omnis said about the V8 :D

I'm very borderline with this. There were other similar yet better cars out at the time (944) but it's innovative engine just sneaks it into cool.

My sentiments exactly.

Uncool. It's a rotary engine and rotary engines need an explanation. It's also not old enough to be a Japanese class nor new enough to be considered modern. It's from the period of the 1980's when everything was just meh. The looks are very standard too.

If this was a first or third generation RX-7 it'd be a different story.

So you say that everything was "meh." OK, I defy you to post 3 sexier sports cars from the late 80s. This was just about the apogee of sportscar sexiness back then

I thought I knew my Mazdas. I voted Sub-zero without looking at the car, thinking it was the FD RX-7. I'd go for a Cool

So you say that everything was "meh." OK, I defy you to post 3 sexier sports cars from the late 80s. This was just about the apogee of sportscar sexiness back then

So you are challenge me to post cars sexier then the RX-7 when essentially I think most 1980's designs were rather uninspiring? Ya because that's going to work. Ya there were some decent designs but nothing that I would say is "sexy".

Uncool.

Rip off Porsche styling. Rotary engine made decent power for its size, but was/is unreliable and sucked down the juice like me at an open bar.

I'm borderline on this one. So I'm abstaining again. It could be considered cool for what it is, but for me it's let down by the looks which are completely nondescript. You'd never have to explain to average Joe on the street that it has a rotary engine as it's so bland on the outside that he'd not ask you about it in the first place. They definitely start improving with a few choice mods but this thread is about the base car.

In contrast, I find the later, 90s version very cool. But I'll wait until that one gets polled.

So you are challenge me to post cars sexier then the RX-7 when essentially I think most 1980's designs were rather uninspiring? Ya because that's going to work. Ya there were some decent designs but nothing that I would say is "sexy".

Touche.

But the best of a bad bunch is still the best. That's really what I was trying to get at.

I'm with you that the styling in the 80s was somewhat stuck in the blocky square stage, and that there were few sexy cars from that era. But judged against its peers, its among the best looking.

I love my car, but I will not go to say that its Sub-Zero. However Anytime I tell someone "well I got an Rx-7" the first reply is a sentence with the word "cool" in it. And I like that boxy-ish look. I also like the look of a nice R34. Then there is the oddity part about it, the Rotary engine, its so out there it adds to the cool factor. Then If you say you stuffed a V-8 in a Japanese car, BAM cool again. So hmmm I think ill go with COOL!

Doesn't look half bad, is nowhere near slow (155 bhp/liter), and it's a rotary. It just doesn't have that special something to push it to sub-zeroness, though. Therefore, cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back