• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joey D

Premium
United States
Boyne Falls, MI
GTP_Joey
GTP Joey
.: 1994-1997 Volvo 850 R Estate suggested by 80Y 2C2 :.

fs_904029.jpg

Specs:
Cylinders S-5
Displacement 2.3 litre 2319 cc (141.514 cu in)
Maximum power 253.5 PS (250.0 bhp) (186.4 kW) @ 5400 rpm
Maximum torque 350.0 Nm (258 ft·lb) (35.7 kgm) @ 2400 rpm
Drive FWD
0-60 mph 7.80 s
0-100 mph 19.30 s
Kerb weight 1545 kg 3406 lb​

It's a station wagon, and station wagon's are never cool.

On the contrary, it's cool because it is an estate/station wagon. The saloon version is uncool on the other hand.

It's a mad Volvo, which is immensely cool. I've just always liked these cars for some rather unexplained reason, although I like the V70R better.

Oh and then there is this too:
volvo_850_btcc.jpg

The acceleration figure is wrong, looks like the figure of the "ordinary" 2.4T or alternatively automatic transmission. The manual R models do the sprint in 6.7-6.9 seconds and the power figures given are those of a manual model.

Still, even though it's freaking quick for a wagon and I'm a die hard brick Volvo fan I'll still only rate it as cool. The only FWD Volvo I'd ever rate as Sub-Zero, and it would get that rating with no doubt whatsoever, would be the limited edition cashmere yellow 850 T-5R. One day I may even have one of those myself.

t5rsz9.jpg

To an unwary observer, it's merely a Volvo Wagon...which is about as cool as a pocket protector...

But it has that "R."

Which, if you take it off, makes it a sleeper.

Which makes it cool. Very cool. Not Sub-Z, but very cool.

Merely cool. Looks good in an understated way, can carry your life around, BTCC connotations.

On the minus side, it's still a "Volvo Estate" which has a bit of a stigma attached.

Cool. It's a hot wagon. And I love hot wagons. But it's still a Volvo. Our XC70 has kinda ruined the Volvo experience for me, I think. :indiff:

Yet again I think im going to brake my own rules on how I vote here...

Its a n Estate, Estates are uncool
Its a Volvo, Volvos are uncool
Styling wise its pretty average, certainly not ugly, but not pretty either.
Its also too old to really pass the girlfriend test

Yet to me I love this car, and the reason is shown in Joey D's photo (well not quite, its the other one driven by Rickard Rydell that I really remember...)
Watching that tank being thrashed round a BTTC circuit was a great memory from childhood, and thats what makes this car sub zero to me. It has that one special feature which makes up for everything else.

Because I was thinking this car had <150 HP, and I was pretty off, this is actually impressive, something that Volvos usually are not.

COOL

I would permit Kristen Bell to imprint her bread loaves on the passenger seat of this vehicle while I drove 5 under the limit in the left lane and crank some classic Maiden out on the stereo.

Voted: cool.

M

would be the limited edition cashmere yellow 850 T-5R. One day I may even have one of those myself.

Did these also come in the sedan version? If so, I think some guy I knew a couple of years ago drove such a version. The rims were exactly the same, as well as the colour. I always thought that was the most bad-ass Volvo I had ever seen, and today that still remains the coolest Volvo I ever saw.

Cool. It's a Volvo station wagon. With a 5-cylinder engine. And a bad-ass look.

Screw it, bias aside, I'm voting Sub-Zero.:lol:

I voted sub-zero but I meant cool. Volvo wagon, sub zero, FWD Volvo wagon, cool.

I will never be a big fan of anything fail wheel drive, except for maybe my cousins Saab, but it's still cool in my book.

I love this car... But here in the US, station wagons are immediately uncool and where I live especially Volvos are driven by over protective parents who don't want their kids to die in an accident so they buy Volvo's because if they buy anything else they will die in a heap of steel. Not only that they drive every where doing half the speed limit. That or they are driven by kids who get them from their parents because they will be 'safer' in them.

And I wanted a Volvo for my first car but their is simply to much uncoolness about them where I live that I can't vote any higher then uncool.

I've loved this Volvo since I was a kid. Its a brick, and yet a sport model. How the universe has never collapsed due to its creation I'll never know.
SUB-ZERO!

It's a station wagon, and station wagon's are never cool.

And I understand you voted the Mitsu Legnum as cool? :lol:

Anyway, cool for me because it is just the safest car in the world. LOOK at the size of the bonnet...

Volvo is not a cool brand, and station wagons are not cool cars. I might like a classic Volvo sedan, but they're not cool.

Hmm.

Problem I have is that I think sleepers are cool. But the point of sleepers is that you don't know that they're sleepers. Which means it needs explaining. Which isn't cool...

And I understand you voted the Mitsu Legnum as cool? :lol:

Anyway, cool for me because it is just the safest car in the world. LOOK at the size of the bonnet...

I think I was half asleep or something when I did that.:dunce:

Back