FIRST OFFICIAL FACT SHEET - 32 players in Private Lobbies???

• Thread starter amar212
  • 150 comments

amar212

GTSurgeons.com
Premium
Croatia
Croatia
And another "cokpit/no cokpit" debate can begin.

Here is the official PRESS RELEASE from SCEA regarding GT5.

Most intresting bit is bolded:

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America, LLC.
Developer: Polyphony Digital Inc.
Platform: PlayStation®3 system
Genre: Racing / Driving Simulator
Players: 1 – 4 Local, up to 16 online
Release: TBA (November 2nd confirmed)
Rating: RP – Rating Pending

From Polyphony Digital Inc. (PDI), the development powerhouse that has shipped more than 55 million units worldwide, the award-winning Gran Turismo® franchise makes its way to the PlayStation®3 (PS3®) system in the first complete installment of the fan-favorite series on the console. Developed exclusively for PS3 by the internal team of designers and engineers at PDI, Gran Turismo® 5 brings the world’s most realistic and comprehensive driving experience to fans in one of the most highly anticipated games of all time. Consistently setting the bar in terms of quality of design and physics technology with every product release, Gran Turismo 5 on PS3 is no exception and aims to set new standards in terms of graphics, presentation, and gameplay.

Gran Turismo 5 features more than 1000 licensed cars from the world’s top manufacturers and more than 20 tracks with more than 70 variations, including famous world circuits, city courses, and other environments. Featuring exciting gameplay and modes to suit newcomers, automotive enthusiasts, and seasoned fans, Gran Turismo 5 raises the bar on the franchise’s depth of content and unparalleled visuals including lifelike graphics that are difficult to distinguish from a live race. Further reflecting this realism, cars will feature real-time visual damage with adaptive and accurate car deformation based on point of impact and velocity. Additionally for the first time, Gran Turismo 5 will feature an extremely deep online and community feature set.

Players can progress and acquire credits through a variety of modes like GT Career Mode, Championship Races, License Tests and more, or they can explore different tracks and circuit variations in Arcade Mode. Additionally, players can race online with up to 16 players through PlayStation Network®(PSN). Players can also participate in a robust online system, and transfer vehicles unlocked in Gran Turismo® for PSP™ into their garage in
Gran Turismo 5.

CARS THAT LOOK AND FEEL REAL
· A first for the franchise, vehicles will now show real-time damage and wear that reflect the driver’s treatment of the car. Cars will collect dirt (and can be washed at car washes) and will feature adaptive and accurate body deformation and performance damage based on point of impact and velocity (on select vehicles).
· Additional graphic touchups that add to the realism include smoke from tires, sparks that fly from vehicle rollovers, and dirt accumulation.
· Brand new vehicle physics engine that replaces the engine from Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, making the action more realistic than ever.
· PlayStation Eye camera features that add a new level of detail to the game, including face tracking for looking around the interior of vehicles while in the interior dash view.

MORE CARS, MORE TRACKS, MORE MODES
· More than 1000 licensed cars, including those representing racing organizations from around the globe such as NASCAR, World Rally Championship, Super GT and more.
· More than 20 tracks with more than 70 variations featuring famous world circuits and real-world city locales.
· Arcade mode lets players take in the stunning tracks and environments of
Gran Turismo 5 alone or with a friend in split-screen two-player mode.
· The fan-favorite career mode returns with a full world map, licensed car dealerships, tuning and body shops, and car washes. Start your car collection, customize them to your liking, and live the life of a pro racer.
· Compete in franchise mainstays like point-based Championship Race series and hone your skills with License Tests.
· Gran Turismo TV Video gives players access to an online clearinghouse of great motorsport video programming (both HD and SD – all broadcast quality) through PLAYSTATION Network. Users can now export this content to the GT PSP Museum (GT PSP required).

CUSTOMIZE YOUR RIDE, AND YOUR GAME
· Photo Mode and Photo Album allows users to capture their greatest GT moments, and share with friends. Players can stage and capture stylish shots from a number of angles and locations.
· Photo Album can be shared online, and the Online Replay Album lets players capture replay video from their favorite races and upload them to YouTube for the world to see.
· Players can create custom soundtracks from music stored on their PS3s to play in-game.

RACE AGAINST THE WORLD, ONLINE
· Online racing evolves in Gran Turismo 5 with robust racing options that are shaping up to deliver the deepest online racing experience available.
· Players can join in on public races featuring up to 16 players at once with text and voice chat, or host private races with lobbies supporting up to 32 players per lobby.

OTHER FEATURES
· Players who own Gran Turismo PSP and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue can transfer cars unlocked in that game directly to their garage in Gran Turismo 5 for use in Arcade Mode through special cross-talk interoperability.
· Gran Turismo 5 will feature full PSN Trophy support, making players’ accomplishments that much more satisfying.

ENDS***

So, what does "Lobby" stands for? Does this mean we can expect races of 32 players in Private Lobbies, or is it just a way to put 32 players in lobby prior to the actual race?

Lights, please!

Last edited:
Maybe the lobbies is what is meing refered to as "My Lounge" but either way that sounds pretty damn good to me 👍

Why would you have more "space" in the lobby than the number that can also join the race? Any reasonable explanations for such feature?

Why would you have more "space" in the lobby than the number that can also join the race? Any reasonable explanations for such feature?

so that you can have your own race manager :), guiding you through the race :-D

I know it comes under the category as 'online', but could lan play be classed as online?

Could this not be an offline lan lobby with 32 players? I'm not overly convinced that the issue with 16 players online is anything more than a bandwidth problem.

Assuming we can have 32 players race online. I'm excited about the fact that if that is true we are likely to have 32 cars on track during offline mode too!

I like the "cars collect dirt and you can wash them" :)

I hope if you don´t wash them, they get more and more dirty...

Also the championship mode sounds great!

I think it is related to the lobby and not to the race.
As far as I understood, there will be a lot of nice features which will be handled inside (chat, statistics, ratings etx). They may have put some limitations.
My 2 cents

I hope you don't mind a question a little bit out of topic...
I know nobody will be able to get the bbq smell on the Ring but... is there any 'smell' around which can make us think of a PSN demo soony?

PS Dirt on cars is a great improvements towards realism.

Well as far as I understood... you can be a spectator which makes me think of a team race! Imagine you racing and some of your friend (the manager) looking at the other drivers and giving you info about time, pitstops, accidents...

That would be great (16 drivers + 16 manager = ...)

Hey! I just saw dzidza had the same guess... I swear I din't copy him :)

Last edited:
Seems to me like 16 players in a race, 32 players in the pre-race lobby / chat-room / lounge.

I believe it's been mentioned that you can spectate, so the other 16 can watch the race perhaps...

Could be for tournaments and leagues and you are automatically entered into your next race when it comes up.

"More than 20 tracks" rather than locations which is more concerning than the cockpit issue.

Yea its going to be 16 racing while 16 spectate

I put this in latest news before see this thread:

Can be/usage: 32 on lobby it will 2 heats of 16 players, then the final race.

'Players: 1 – 4 Local'
'Arcade mode lets players take in the stunning tracks and environments of Gran Turismo 5 alone or with a friend in split-screen two-player mode.'

Which of these is it? 2 or 4 players offline?
Was hoping for a LAN mode though...

All the rest mentioned is great though!!!

maybe for endurance races we will be able to jump into our team mates car and continue the race

:dopey:👍 this sounds like how it will go. i hope this is how it will go

Can be/usage: 32 on lobby it will 2 heats of 16 players, then the final race.

mm.. possibly this too, although that is much less of a desirable feature methinks

'Arcade mode lets players take in the stunning tracks and environments of Gran Turismo 5 alone or with a friend in split-screen two-player mode.'

All the rest mentioned is great though!!!

LAN would just be treated like regular online

This sounds fantastic. Gonna have to invest in a mic.

No mention of liveries, maybe the body shop might provide that. I'd be happy with official race logo's relative to the make/model of car.

Enduro idea of relief drivers sounds great if true.

Cockpit views for all cars would really put the cherry on this already big cake.

"More than 20 tracks" rather than locations which is more concerning than the cockpit issue.

Yea its going to be 16 racing while 16 spectate
I'm no so sure about that, MA3LK - if you count up the circuits that we know and count the variations within those circuits, it comes up short. For example, we know that Top Gear (1 variation) is in, Toscana (1 variation) is in, London (2 variations) is in, Eiger (2 variations) is in and Madrid (1 variation) is in. That's five circuits (25% of the total) with just seven layouts (10% of the total). That means the remaining fifteen circuits need to have sixty layouts among them, or four variations each. We already know that doesn't work, because there's the Nurburgring (3 variations), La Sarthe (2 variations), Rome (1 variation), Daytona (2 variations) and Indy (2 variation). So that's half the locations accounted for, but only seveneen layouts. So the remaining ten circuits need to have fifty-three variations. The numbers just don't add up.

Seems to me like 16 players in a race, 32 players in the pre-race lobby / chat-room / lounge.

I believe it's been mentioned that you can spectate, so the other 16 can watch the race perhaps...
You never know, maybe there will be an option where the first sixteen race while everyone spectates, and then the spectators race while the first sixteen observe. After the two races, the sixteen fastest times overall (or the eight fastest in both races) can enter into a race together, sort of like a mini-tournament.

Lan is 4 players with 4 ps3s (i think) while on 1 PS3 split-screen allows only 2 players

Thats great news. Especially for a community this large. "Meet here on Saturday at noon if you would like to participate in the Nurburgring Muscle Car Challenge. 6 laps while changing day/night and weather. See you guys there"
:drool:

Considering how fast this forum is moving, this post may be outdated by the time I actually finish it, but I noticed a few other tidbits of note. I will go ahead and list them here.

-They call it "GT Career Mode" now. I believe it used to be just "GT Mode". Plus the phrase "live the life of a pro racer". I think GT Mode may be much more career oriented than previous versions.
-It states that the Cars coming from GT PSP and Prologue are transferable to Arcade Mode. Sounds specific to Arcade Mode. This is what I was hoping I could do. Take any car for a spin without "spoiling" the experience of GT Mode.
-Face tracking is confirmed again. Great news, and this will be added to my racing setup within a month.
-Same racing series' are confirmed, but it has the words "and more" listed after the ones we are already aware of. More to come?
-Still haven't seen a full rollover, but I guess we can be %100 sure now.

One big question though:
What the heck is "special cross-talk interoperability"? It is listed as part of the transferring of cars to Arcade Mode, under "Other Features".

And considering how long it took me to do that (4 min). You guys are probably on page 25. :lol:

Some cool things. I want lots of tracks though.

But the ability to have your own music is fricking awesome. And hasn't weather just been confirmed or something?

Thinking about it I race in a league on Forza every week. At the moment we've have 16 regulars split obviously into two races of eight.

Both lobbies start at the same time and all times are gathered to position the 16 players. It's abit lame but the only way we can get 16 racers participating in the same race.

Maybe the lobbies are set to 32 and two races can take place at the same time and all times compared at the end.

I think I've gotta convince my mates to jump the forza ship quick. Lol.

Enduro idea of relief drivers sounds great if true.

Oh hellz yeah. I've been saying that ever since I can remember. Enduros would be so much funner... no B-spec, and no driving for 24 hours straight, which I'd never do!

You've got a couple of pals online, probably arranged through GTP actually ("hey, there's this big 24h enduro coming up, I need a couple of teammates"), and you go through the night, switching drivers on a preplanned rota.

While the day and night cycle goes in real time.

On the Nurburgring 24h circuit, with tents and spectators and atmosphere.

With the best graphics I have ever seen on any game, anywhere.

Gentlemen, GT5 is going to be pure magnificence.

Some cool things. I want lots of tracks though.

But the ability to have your own music is fricking awesome. And hasn't weather just been confirmed or something?

Happy for you, not really my cup of tea. Maybe time to dig out my 101 top engine sounds cd.

Back