[NEW POLL] - Please Vote! - GT5 Race Cars - Testing and Ranking - Final Results!

• Thread starter Wyvern_64
  • 98 comments

Please read the top of the first post for information and voting options.

• Total voters

Wyvern_64

Premium
United States
Cal Poly SLO CA
Wyvern_64
The Final Results Spreadsheet
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...A39B8LV_OhqyI0UA&hl=en&authkey=CIf5mp8D#gid=0

GT5 Race Car Testing and Ranking
Hello GTP, and welcome to my official GT5 Race Car Testing thread. Over the past month, I have been collecting every race car in GT5 and testing them across 6 different tests: Top Speed, 0-350m, 0-890m, 0-1780m, one lap time trial at Indy Road Course, and one lap time trial at Trial Mountain. From all the times and speeds of each car, I calculated an overall score that was used to rank the cars based on how fast that car should be around the average race track.

The Testing Procedure
Each car was tested on fresh oil, refreshed engine and chassis, full upgrades (including soft racing tires), and full tuning. The top speed test was done at SSR7, and was simply the fastest speed I could reach there with a gear ratio that was high enough to not let the car max out it's RPM's, but low enough to not impact it's low-end acceleration. The acceleration tests were done at custom tracks I made, 3 different tracks with a relatively straight line between the start/finish and the first checkpoint. For each test, I would line up the car in bumper cam so that only a tiny sliver of white line (from the front-most lines on the track) was visible at the bottom of the screen, rev up the engine at a stand still, and let off the brakes. This ensured that every test was completely equal for every car. The single lap time trials at Indy Road Course and Trial Mountain were done from the fastest start I could give each car. I started with default tuning (except the gear ratio, which was the same as from the top speed test) and changed the tuning to how I thought it would benefit the car, until I could not run any faster laps with it. I tried to be as objective as possible, trying to keep my driving as consistent as possible for each car.

The Composite Score Formula
Once I got all the times and speeds for a car, I put it through this formula:

Composite Score = [(A-180)/5] + [(12-B) + (20-C) + (32-D)] + 3[(97-E) + (90-F)]

A = Top Speed (in mph)
B = Accel 1 Time
C = Accel 2 Time
D = Accel 3 Time
E = Indy Time (in seconds)
F = Trial Mountain Time (in seconds)

This formula makes it so that the higher the top speed, the more points given, and the lower the acceleration and time trial times, the more points given as well. This formula made it so that the higher the score, the better the car, and the lowest score among all cars would be close to 0, with no negative values. For more explanation about why I did the formula the day I did, just ask and I'll try to explain. :)

Questions and Answers
Q: Why have 3 acceleration tests? Why not just one?
A: Because on most tracks, there is at least one time where you will accelerate from a very low speed over a short distance, and respectively, also a medium and longer distance. All three acceleration distances (short, medium, and long) are important for a good race car to optimize.

Q: Why not just take your times at the tracks to compare the cars? Why include top speed and acceleration tests?
A: I tune and drive the cars differently than you do. Results on the track may vary, so tests that are completely objective help to rank the cars more accurately.

Q: If you tune and drive the cars differently than me, than why not just rank the cars off acceleration and top speed?
A: Handling is very important, and plays a big part in whether one race car is better than another. If I just used acceleration and top speed tests, then the Veyron would score better than most LMP cars, but actually the LMP cars would literally murder the Veyron on a circuit, where it really matters.

Q: Why did you choose Indy Road Course and Trial Mountain as the two test tracks?
A: Indy Road Course is flat and tests the car's overall handling through different kinds of turns: low speed hairpins, medium speed technical turns, and high speed slightly banked turns. Indy has a very wide variety of turns and straights to test on. Trial Mountain, on the other hand, is bumpy, rough, and features tight technical turns and hills that will really test how much grip and power the cars have, and how well they can handle being thrown around a little.

Q: How do you know how far each of the acceleration tests are?
A: I just got in my handy Mazda Furai and used Manual Transmission, and drove the length of the test at constant speed bouncing off the rev limiter. After getting the time it took, it was simple math to figure out how far it was. Velocity = Distance / Time, or in this case, Distance = Velocity x Time

Q: Why didn't you include the X2010, FGT, or Ferrari F1 cars?
A: I wanted this to be about finding out how the best race cars in GT5 compared to each other. The X2010, FGT, and Ferrari F1 cars would obviously be at the top of the list, so I decided to leave them out of this. Also, the Nissan 350Z LM Race Car and Nissan Fairlady Z LM Race Car are the same thing. They got almost identical times in all of my tests, so I only used one in the spreadsheet.

Q: Why did you decide to put so much work into collecting and thoroughly testing so many cars?
A: I wanted to know which race cars were better than others, and how they ranked among each other. There is a wide variety of race cars in GT5 (LMP, Group C, GT1, LM) and I was curious as to how good each of them were.

Q: This looks like a lot of work. How long did it take?
A: About 45 minutes for each car, 52 cars, so around 40 hours of just testing the cars. Not including the time when I was doing other things in GT5.

Well, what do you think? :D I'd love some feedback/comments about it. I hope this can help you decide what car(s) to buy or not buy in the future, or decide which one to use for those 60 laps at Grand Valley or that 4 hours at the 'Ring. :sly:
Special Thanks to AApex86 for helping me collect all the cars needed to make this happen!

Thanks for reading.
Wyvern_64

Last edited:
Whilst I appreciate the effort the fact the cars were all modifed makes this pointless for purists like me that run race cars stock, apart from better tyres. Still, good work.

Whilst I appreciate the effort the fact the cars were all modifed makes this pointless for purists like me that run race cars stock, apart from better tyres. Still, good work.

Oops, didn't read everything again lol, yes, that makes the spreadsheat useless.

@SimonK and Alex p: Basically all I added to each car was Turbo Stage 3. Actually, every car got that, so they were all impacted in the same way. Maybe the times will be different without the one upgrade, but the rankings among all the cars will still be the same. How does that make everything useless?

Very, very impressive. Must have taken tons of patience to wait for some of those cars to show up in the UCD:crazy:! Thanks a bunch, looks like im buying a GT One when it next shows up! :dopey:

@SimonK and Alex p: Basically all I added to each car was Turbo Stage 3. Actually, every car got that, so they were all impacted in the same way. Maybe the times will be different without the one upgrade, but the rankings among all the cars will still be the same. How does that make everything useless?

I'm sorry if I sounded rude. There is certainly a lot of work and effort behind that and this should be respected, no question. I, as Simon, would like to have the stock comparisons, that's all and of course the sheat is not comletely useless, sorry for this stupid expression, it just isn't interesting for me anymore. (the sheat)

I'm sorry if I sounded rude. There is certainly a lot of work and effort behind that and this should be respected, no question. I, as Simon, would like to have the stock comparisons, that's all and of course the sheat is not comletely useless, sorry for this stupid expression, it just isn't interesting for me anymore. (the sheat)

Understood, and no offense taken. :) I found that some cars already had some upgrades stock that others didn't, so I thought that buying everything possible for every car (which was only Turbo Stage 3 and Chassis Rigidity) would even out any differences that would give one car an unfair advantage over another. :)

Great work. Had been looking for something like this for the racing mod options, but this is a lot of work.

I've noticed a few limitations of this work.

1. Outside of the lap times, it does not take turning/car stability/cornering into consideration at all.

2. We don't know what your ability to tune is like, so without using a standard set of good tunes from the community I think the results come into question a little bit.

3. We also have no clue about your abilities to drive different drivetrains. Maybe you are a much better FR driver than MR?

These are just a few things that jumped out. Still a lot of work and it will be helpful. Just some things that you could improve in the research.

Understood, and no offense taken. :) I found that some cars already had some upgrades stock that others didn't, so I thought that buying everything possible for every car (which was only Turbo Stage 3 and Chassis Rigidity) would even out any differences that would give one car an unfair advantage over another. :)

I see. But some upgrades are installed from the beginning, so that the settings and the power of the car resemble the real one as close as possible, so there is no real unfair advantage. Still, thanks for this, I am still surprised that the GT-ONE took the crown, really never expected that although it's my favourite race car, at least when it comes to the looks.

I was wondering, could you add, at what you had the transmission set to when you did the long distance top speed tests?
It would be great.

Cheers.

Those turbo upgrades can be totally different on each car and effect each one differently. One car might be able to handle another 200bhp, another won't.

Like I say for those that do upgrade all of their cars this is perfect, but if you like running race cars stock like I do it's not that useful.

Those turbo upgrades can be totally different on each car and effect each one differently. One car might be able to handle another 200bhp, another won't.

Like I say for those that do upgrade all of their cars this is perfect, but if you like running race cars stock like I do it's not that useful.

Alright, I get it. If you want to spend 40 hours of play time testing those cars stock (not to mention how hard it is to get all of them) then go right ahead and I'll say it's useless to me because I upgrade my cars.

Obviously we all like our cars differently, but can you at least respect the time it took to do all this?

You could have told me to not do any upgrades for my cars when I posted about my original plans for this here about a month ago. Just like how Highlandor requested that I use Trial Mountain to test how the cars handle on bumpy and hilly tracks. That suggestion turned out to really help. So don't complain about me upgrading my cars when you had plenty of time to suggest against it before.

Not trying to sound overly defensive, sorry if I did, but I spent too much time on this for it to be called 'useless'.

:)

Am quite surprised the GT-ONE, won lol.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. Thing was lightning fast at Trial Mountain. :bowdown:

The other surprises were the BMW McLaren F1 GTR, Audi R8 '01, and Zonda LM Race Car. Very fun cars to drive, and much better than I expected them to be. ;)

Yeah man the BMW McLaren, that one is probably my second favourite after the GT-One, loved it in GT4.

I actually overlooked it a lot until doing these tests, then I realized how much fun it is to drive. :D

The Audi R8 '01 was my favorite in GT4, and it's still really fast and just as fun to drive in GT5.

I do have a question though, about Audi and Le Mans... Why is the R10 so much worse than the '05 and '01 R8? Did Audi take a step backwards, or did Le Mans get more strict regulations like Formula 1 did?

Too bad we don't have the R15 or R18, it'd be interesting to see how they compare to the earlier Audi Le Mans cars. :D

Outstanding work. I love the scientific approach. [I'm also glad to see that my instincts were correct about the top 3 without any hard data.]

I actually overlooked it a lot until doing these tests, then I realized how much fun it is to drive. :D

The Audi R8 '01 was my favorite in GT4, and it's still really fast and just as fun to drive in GT5.

I do have a question though, about Audi and Le Mans... Why is the R10 so much worse than the '05 and '01 R8? Did Audi take a step backwards, or did Le Mans get more strict regulations like Formula 1 did?

Too bad we don't have the R15 or R18, it'd be interesting to see how they compare to the earlier Audi Le Mans cars. :D

I think its because the r10 was diesel, it won le mans by spending less time refueling

Alright, I get it. If you want to spend 40 hours of play time testing those cars stock (not to mention how hard it is to get all of them) then go right ahead and I'll say it's useless to me because I upgrade my cars.

Obviously we all like our cars differently, but can you at least respect the time it took to do all this?

You could have told me to not do any upgrades for my cars when I posted about my original plans for this here about a month ago. Just like how Highlandor requested that I use Trial Mountain to test how the cars handle on bumpy and hilly tracks. That suggestion turned out to really help. So don't complain about me upgrading my cars when you had plenty of time to suggest against it before.

Not trying to sound overly defensive, sorry if I did, but I spent too much time on this for it to be called 'useless'.

:)

Not complaining or moaning, sorry if it came across as that. Again I'm not calling is straight up useless in the same way a chocolate teapot is completely useless, this is obviously useful to a hell of a lot of people. I was just commenting that it wasn't useful to me, but well done on the effort. :)

I really don't know lol, they won nonetheless.

I think the OP has a new challenge, the same thing but everything stock :)

This, i think would be valuable to some additional folks, and should be fun too.

Great work!

Nice test. Id also have liked to have seen it done with stock cars first, but clearly you have but much work into this so congrats 👍 I should really try and find that GTOne

Thanks for all the hard work, OP! Obviously a person's personal driving style and other factors such as tuning, track being used on, all play a role in which car they prefer, but these numbers are a great baseline upon which people can make a decision on what cars to use (or buy) that offers good measure of objectivity.

Back