[NEW POLL] - Please Vote! - GT5 Race Cars - Testing and Ranking - Final Results!

• Thread starter Wyvern_64
  • 98 comments

Please read the top of the first post for information and voting options.

• Total voters
Great job!!The Minolta is better in everything(well OK there is a tiny-tiny difference in Trial mountain) but the top speed which is insignificant in the tracks we usually race,so i believe the Minolta should have been no1 :)

Great job!!The Minolta is better in everything(well OK there is a tiny-tiny difference in Trial mountain) but the top speed which is insignificant in the tracks we usually race,so i believe the Minolta should have been no1 :)

On tracks like Nurburgring, Sarthe, High Speed Rind, or anything with a long straightaway (Tokyo even), the top speed difference between the GT-One and the Minolta would help the GT-One to maybe win it. It's amazing speed around the corners helps as well. It'd be an interesting race between the two. :D

The Audi R10 is 100% superior to the R8's in all aspects... In the real world.

As far as in the game, each person will get different results.

To put into perspective, these are the 'best' LM24 qualifying times for each car

R8 TFSI - 3:38.281 (2006)

R10 TDI - 3:23.847 (2008)

R15 TDI - 3:21.981 (2010)

The Audi R10 is 100% superior to the R8's in all aspects... In the real world.

As far as in the game, each person will get different results.

To put into perspective, these are the 'best' LM24 qualifying times for each car

R8 TFSI - 3:38.281 (2006)

R10 TDI - 3:23.847 (2008)

R15 TDI - 3:21.981 (2010)

Hmm, very interesting, thanks for that info.

Can anyone confirm that they can run faster lap times with the R10 compared to the R8's? Even in my totally unbiased and objective acceleration tests, the R8's were much faster than the R10. And I can't even get close to my R8 lap times in the R10...

To remove any confusion, the R8's I'm talking about are the two that got 4th and 5th rank in my spreadsheet, not the LMS cars.

Ah. From a fellow GT player in Vegas I just wanna say great job and thanks for the effort, list is awesome.

How did you decide what cars to use or not as I noticed it seems you don't have all the DTM cars listed? Plan to work on that or have people submit?

I'm trying to figure out the best DTM car to buy at the moment.

Wardez, nice to meet another Las Vegas player. :) The way I picked out what cars to use is if it has "Race Car" in the name, it's in. The C5-R and Ford XR8 didn't have it in the name, but they were included too because they're obviously made for racing.

I didn't add DTM cars or other touring cars because of the confusion of "What qualifies as a 'Touring Car'". I know you can say the same thing as far as "What qualifies as a 'Race Car'", but it's a little more clear-cut.

If anyone wants me to add some cars to the list and test them, I will definitely consider it. :)

As far as looking for a good DTM car, I'd say go with either the ABT Audi TT-R Touring Car or the BMW M3 GTR Race Car. Both are very fast and handle excellently. And of course are great to drive at the 'Ring. :D

Nice, thanks Wyvern. I decided to go with the M3 based on ranking on your list. And I just walked the competition on the last race in Bonus Races 5.

Yeah the list is very thorough already so the only thing left is things like DTM touring cars, Super GT, other LM cars I guess. But they're all slower than the top ranked racing machines you've posted obviously. You've already put enough time into so letting other submit times under discretion would be cool in the future.

Well, I have other plans for this type of testing and ranking, but I'm not ready to make an official post about it yet. ;)

I thought about doing Super GT/JGTC, but they're really closely related as far as performance, and any tiny difference in my driving with them could really change their ranking, so I decided against it.

I don't exactly want other people submitting times, because nobody drives the same way. Someone could probably shave a second or more off my times, or not come close at all, resulting in inaccurate rankings and comparisons.

Hmm, very interesting, thanks for that info.

Can anyone confirm that they can run faster lap times with the R10 compared to the R8's? Even in my totally unbiased and objective acceleration tests, the R8's were much faster than the R10. And I can't even get close to my R8 lap times in the R10...

To remove any confusion, the R8's I'm talking about are the two that got 4th and 5th rank in my spreadsheet, not the LMS cars.

Also, in 2008 and 2010, the Peugeot 908 qualified faster than the R10 and R15. That car is also further down on your list. Both years they were in the 3:19.xxx range.

I did this in Trial Mountain and Indianapolis Speedway, also top speed. (Exept the accelerations.

The Toyota GT-ONE is not the best. The Sauber Mercedes is. I tested the top 3 cars on your list and the GT-One was the worst (but still close of course but worser than the other 2.

Sauber Mercedes: Trial Mountain: 1:09.543 sec.
Minolta Toyota: // : 1:09.971
Toyota GT-One: // : 1:09.995

In Indy: Mercedes: 1:15.346 sec.
Minolta: 1:16.074
GT-one: 1:16.520

I did 5 laps in each track with all these 3 cars (to see the best overall lap in those 5 laps to rank these cars correctly).

Top Speed in SSR7 I think I exceeded the 410km/h mark with all these 3. I think the Minolta was the fastest. Don't remeber. Have to start these results on my PC.

Well even so. GREAT effort on doing this (tough the top speeds Are a little bit off.. your jaguar did 239 mph while I can do 412 km/h (wich is more than 255 mph)... And the same is for other cars like the Nissan R92Cp.

Also you forgot one car: The Ford GT LM Spec II test car wich is probably the best racing ford gt in the game.

Grimm6Jack, interesting. :D Nice lap times, I guess it just proves that we all drive differently. People shouldn't just take this ranking as fact, more as a suggestion about what cars to try. Maybe the Sauber is more 'compatible' for you, while I drive the GT_One the best. :)

How did you get your XJR-9 to go that fast? I know downforce makes a big difference, I always kept it at default for the top speed and acceleration tests. I don't know many people that race at minimum downforce on a regular track, so their top speed even on the straightaway at the Nurb for example won't be the best the car can possibly do. :)

Thanks for testing it a bit yourself.

Last edited:
I think it's weird you tuned the cars. If I were to do something like this I'd keep them all stock. But to each his own, I guess.

Great job Wyvern_64

Are you interested in testing some race cars tire wear and fuel consumption behavior? IMO this is important too because hotlapping with a Group C car and racing a enduro with it is so different.
For example, currently Im only able to make soft tires survive 12 laps (I always test on grand valley 300k) on my Minolta. I got the feeling that modern LMPs like a R10 could handle their tires better. Sadly, Im broke and not able to buy one :)

I think it's weird you tuned the cars. If I were to do something like this I'd keep them all stock. But to each his own, I guess.

The problem is, some cars got stage 2 tuning and other ones not. Right? And it doesn`t change tooo much.

alonsof1fan91, good idea, maybe with the fuel. But tire duration depends on how hard you push the car and what tires you're using. And with 50+ cars, that would take forever to test tires and fuel. But it would be helpful to know...

Yeah, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. Thing was lightning fast at Trial Mountain. :bowdown:

The other surprises were the BMW McLaren F1 GTR, Audi R8 '01, and Zonda LM Race Car. Very fun cars to drive, and much better than I expected them to be. ;)

What dealer can I get that GTone from and for how much?

Great thread but it would have been more interesting to have done all the cars in stock and do the testing with a LV 40 B - spec driver in free run. The human drive tends to be inconsistent at times. I can make laps at 24hr Le Mans of 2:13:XXX to 2:20:XXX.

I appreciate the effort that you've put in to this list and it's nice to see some actual testing done to try and prove what car is fastest. Personally the fastest car I have in my garage is the R92CP, i've seem to have dialled that car up nicely and is quicker than my minolta, 787B and XJR-9 by some margin. But I have yet to try the GT-One but I've heard good things about it. I guess at the end of the day some of these cars performance comes down to personal taste. Quite a few of them seem to be so close that it's hard to tell which ones are better, especially when you are racing against other people with slightly different abilities.

Great thread but it would have been more interesting to have done all the cars in stock and do the testing with a LV 40 B - spec driver in free run. The human drive tends to be inconsistent at times. I can make laps at 24hr Le Mans of 2:13:XXX to 2:20:XXX.

I wanted to do that along with my own times, but I didn't think I could set it to free run with B-Spec...

2 questions:
1. Can I have a B-Spec driver drive in free-run, and if so, how?
2. Is it possible to remove the Turbo and Engine upgrades from a car?

can i get a puppy instead?

turbos can be removed, engine upgrades cannot.

the only b-spec driver that can free run is one that you find on the street.

Excellent work. Disappointed to see the Nissan R92CP ranked as low as 9th and want a Steward's enquiry and a recount. :mad:

o9lifted, the 0-350m, 0-790m, and 0-1780m were all on different tracks. :)
RikkiGT-R: Alright :) I can re-test. I don't think the acceleration and top speed will change, but I can sure tweak the tuning more to try to get more out of it in the time trials. If you have a tuning you like, I'll try it out to see how I do with it.

Looks like the 88C-V and a few others have better acceleration across all 3 tests as well as the tracks, yet due to lower top speeds, they lost out. Seems like maybe too much emphasis was put on TOP SPEED?
It looks a bit strange to me, just my opinion.
Kudos to you fro all the work you put into this.

Looks like the 88C-V and a few others have better acceleration across all 3 tests as well as the tracks, yet due to lower top speeds, they lost out. Seems like maybe too much emphasis was put on TOP SPEED?
It looks a bit strange to me, just my opinion.
Kudos to you fro all the work you put into this.

I thought of the weighting of points, and decided that top speed means more than just the fastest speed it'll go. Compare a car A with max speed 230mph and car B with max speed 250mph... Car B will get up to 230mph much faster than Car A. Higher top speed means that the car will get up to a higher speed faster. :)

Back