JGTC S2 Round 7 Race + Results

raceresults8re.jpg

Round 7
Track : Twin Ring Motegi – Road Course - 4.80km
Deadline : January 22 @ 11:59PM EST
CLICK HERE to check the time

entrants2vi.jpg

RULES : Standard Online Racing rules for clean racing applied when ever possible.

Race :

Minimum of 2 wheels on track
Rumble Strips are part of the track
No intentional AI contact
No wall riding
No wall touching
No short cutting
No Cheating of any kind

SETTINGS

I will ask you to follow me step by step for the settings so that everything is clear and understood by everyone.

GT4 Main Menu ---> Options ---> Arcade

No. Of Laps : 30
Tire Wear : Strong
Driving Aids : None
Penalty : Forced Pit Entry
Time Limit : None

GT4 Main Menu ---> Arcade Mode ---> Single Race ---> Select Track ---> Choose Your Car

Driving Options

Transmission : Your Choice
Tires : Racing Medium (really important, the AI must start on RM tires)
Difficulty : 10 for both GT500 and GT300

Quick Tune-Up

Power : Enter The Given Number
Weight : Enter The Given Number
Top Speed : Your choice
Transmission : Your Choice
Tyre Type : Racing
Front Tires : RH, RM, RS
Rear Tires : RH, RM, RS

*RSH and RSS tires are banned this season, a driver getting caught using any of those will get an automatic disqualification for the event*

START THE RACE

TIME SENDING FORMAT

Send your replays to eatsviper4lunch@gmail.com

Team :
Driver Name :
Racing Class :

Car No. :
Car :
Power :
Weight :

Total Time :
Best Lap :
Pitting Resume (lap info, tire set used, penalties) :

so much of moving and packing...:crazy:

but i found a 20 year old TV in my temporary apartment, so i can race in this round...

the TV set is great.

no sound, 12 inch TV, black and white, and the image is not clear... should be in the trash a long time ago, but that´s what i have in the moment...

crazy thing is, i bought 2 RF adapters to plug the Ps2 in that old TV... its the same RF i had in my Atari 2600 in the late 80´s...

don´t know how this will afect my race, but i know that shifting without sound sucks...

Just wondering, are any of you guys who drive with the DFP wheel using your right foot only for brake and throttle, or does everyone use the karting method of left foot braking?

And does anyone use the paddle shifters rather than the sequential lever?

Nuvolari
Just wondering, are any of you guys who drive with the DFP wheel using your right foot only for brake and throttle, or does everyone use the karting method of left foot braking?

And does anyone use the paddle shifters rather than the sequential lever?
I use left foot braking and the paddle shifters, although I will often shift up with the lever when I'm in a tight turn and can't comfortably reach the right paddle. The shift lever is fun for slower production cars, where you can turn with one hand have a more relaxed approach to the corners.

I take it you use left foot braking and the shift lever?

ZeratulSG
I use left foot braking and the paddle shifters, although I will often shift up with the lever when I'm in a tight turn and can't comfortably reach the right paddle. The shift lever is fun for slower production cars, where you can turn with one hand have a more relaxed approach to the corners.

I take it you use left foot braking and the shift lever?

I only use my right foot for both brakes and throttle. I almost never use the paddles, except in some rally cars when it is extremely difficult to steer and shift at the same time. The only place where that happens for me is at that slippery Grand Canyon course.

I will admit that I passed the infamous Mission 34 by using left foot braking, but in that case I was depending on a method of using the brakes very gently to make up for the absolute lack of engine braking with the McLaren.

I just found that left foot braking caused me confusion about what I was actually doing during corner entry, and I knew I shouldn't be using brakes and throttle at the same time. So I went to right foot only and I find I can pay better attention to my braking points and throttle use. I use a kind of "brakes on, brakes off, let it roll in, then gas it" method, so the right foot only method works fine for me.

Nuvolari
I just found that left foot braking caused me confusion about what I was actually doing during corner entry, and I knew I shouldn't be using brakes and throttle at the same time. So I went to right foot only and I find I can pay better attention to my braking points and throttle use. I use a kind of "brakes on, brakes off, let it roll in, then gas it" method, so the right foot only method works fine for me.
I never use the brakes and throttle at the same time, even with left foot braking, I guess I just instinctively time it (trying to think about it now :odd: ). What it does allow me to do though is go immediately from gas to brakes and vice versa without the delay of having to move my foot, but at the end of the day each of our driving styles will be tailored toward how we approach this, so maybe there is no benefit either way.

I do tend to brake late and hard, and spend very little time coasting in, I prefer to try and maintain speed with gentle throttle control. It's actually a bit of a bad habit since it can sometimes unsettle the car if I do it too quickly and don't roll off the brakes, maybe I should play around with this...hmm...

I would like to inform that, for a while, I won't be able to send any AR MAX replays, unless a solution for my problem emerges:

I'm one of the GT4portugal.com Administrators. A few days ago, one of the pilots of the forum saw himself without his PS2. As he's my team mate in two of our competions, I proposed a solution. I would sell him my used PS2 and buy a new one for me, getting another 2 year warranty period. After all, it would be a solution for him and a good deal for me.

My mistake. Ar MAX doesn't start on the new PSTwo 75004 slim version. I contacted Datel through phone, and they told me they're working on a solution, and would release a new compatible version soon. The new PSTwo firmware doesn't allow AR MAX to start. They also told me to try to reset the PS 10-15 times to try to bypass the initial AR MAX CD BIOS code, but this would only be a shot in the dark. Already tried it (stopped counting the resets on 30) and it doesn't work. I'll have to wait for the new version of AR MAX.

Until then, unless some bright mind points out a solution for this, there will be no replays from my side. I'll keep saving it on my MC, but I'll be unable to pass them to the pen with AR MAX.

GRRRRRRR....... I want my old PS2 back!!!!!

that´s bad...

here in my city, the old PS2´s 50001 are more expensive than the slim one... because the slim sucks... heats up quickly and its bad to chip.

i know i wouldn´t trade my old PS2 for a slim one... hope you get the new AR max soon... but i don´t know if the replays are being checked or used... that old thread with replays and videos is not updated since round 2 i think...

Found a solution!

My neighbour has an old PS2 and we exchanged PS2 until AR MAX's new version comes out. HUUUURRAAAYY!

fasj6418
but i don´t know if the replays are being checked or used... that old thread with replays and videos is not updated since round 2 i think...

Yes I do check them. But I was waiting to have my new cpu system and now that everything is in the house I will probably for R8 or R9 make video replays of the NTSC replays I receive from now on in qualif for all of you guys to see. 👍

Did my first run tonight. Out of fuel in the last 4 turns.....:ouch:

I think it cost me about 15 secs.

My Supra goes well on tyre consumption. It wears evenly and allowed me for a 2 pit stop strategy.

Better luck for next one.

Oh, and I play with both feet on the ground. I have the DFP, but never got used to it. So.....DS2.

jctraduz
My Supra goes well on tyre consumption. It wears evenly and allowed me for a 2 pit stop strategy.
Hmm, the best I can manage is 3, and my left-front is seriously degraded on my in-lap.

Did a sighting run last night, had 2 spins, one courtesy of that bloody Corvette doing a PIT manuever on me coming out of turn 11, and the other was me just getting on the gas too aggressively in a corner exit with cold tires.

I reckon I can shave a good 30 seconds off last night's time.

ZeratulSG
I do tend to brake late and hard, and spend very little time coasting in, I prefer to try and maintain speed with gentle throttle control. It's actually a bit of a bad habit since it can sometimes unsettle the car if I do it too quickly and don't roll off the brakes, maybe I should play around with this...hmm...

Just a couple of thoughts on this:

The "coasting" that I describe as roll, roll, roll, is just as you say, trying to pick up the throttle to maintain momentum on entry, but delicately. I'll try to feel what is the maximum entry speed that is no slower than necessary to gain the correct entry radius.

Back to the right foot only thing, I sometimes like to look at the lap analysis plots to see what dumb things I'm doing, and I'll watch for the transition between brakes off and gas on. I absolutely hated to see any overlap when I was left foot braking, and that's only one of the reasons I quit doing it. I agree about the slight time loss from moving my foot, but that might often be an advantage. On some entries, I'll actually lift up my heel coming to the brakes on point so that I can more quickly move my foot to the brake pedal.

Anyway, looking at the analysis plots is a great way to at least tell how quickly and smoothly I can make the transition from throttle to brakes and vice versa. Or, on the other hand, it's how to tell how inept I am on any given day. Those days are when I get to checking the phase of the moon or something......

Nuvolari
I agree about the slight time loss from moving my foot, but that might often be an advantage.
Since when has any timeloss been an advantage?
Although I race with a DS2, I have used a wheel from time to time and I can not fathom using my right foot for braking.

Nuvolari
I absolutely hated to see any overlap when I was left foot braking, and that's only one of the reasons I quit doing it.
I get overlap too, and I use a DS2. It think it's because the power of the thottle and brake is pressure sensitive and it can only work so fast. That's why those blue and red bars travel up and down, rather then then just appear when you're doing something and disappear instantly when you're not.

So when I take my finger off the power and quickly press the brake, I still have the thottle bar going down whilst I'm on the brakes.

I also don't think slight overlap would be adverse to time because it would balance the car out more, you would not have all of the weight shifting forward.

Nuvolari
Just a couple of thoughts on this:

The "coasting" that I describe as roll, roll, roll, is just as you say, trying to pick up the throttle to maintain momentum on entry, but delicately. I'll try to feel what is the maximum entry speed that is no slower than necessary to gain the correct entry radius.

Back to the right foot only thing, I sometimes like to look at the lap analysis plots to see what dumb things I'm doing, and I'll watch for the transition between brakes off and gas on. I absolutely hated to see any overlap when I was left foot braking, and that's only one of the reasons I quit doing it. I agree about the slight time loss from moving my foot, but that might often be an advantage. On some entries, I'll actually lift up my heel coming to the brakes on point so that I can more quickly move my foot to the brake pedal.
This conversation inspired me to look at my technique last night, something I haven't done in some time. Obviously it is quite dependant on the type of corner, but I found that I generally overlap ever so slightly when I start to brake (and I'm still coming off the gas), so I end up with, at most, about 5% gas 5% brakes together for a split second. This doesn't really pose any problem with regard to slowing or unsettling the car.

I do actually tend to coast (free roll) for about half a second or so on tighter corners (I thought I didn't, it's funny how when you try to think about it when you're not in front of the PS it's difficult to nail down what you actually do), just to allow the car to settle and turn in. Then feather the throttle to maintain speed and turning before rolling onto the gas as I exit. I never overlap gas and brakes at this point.

As for the shift lever vs. paddle shifters, I find that at Motegi I use the lever a bit more, particularly when exiting the hairpins. The Skyline has a nimble rear-end, which makes cornering a pleasure, but in the slower, 2nd gear corners it can get exciting very quickly, so I'll often short-shift to 3rd using the lever (as the paddles are out of reach) when coming out of these turns to prevent the back from coming around, as it did once in my race last night.

Casio
I also don't think slight overlap would be adverse to time because it would balance the car out more, you would not have all of the weight shifting forward.
Maybe, although it would put immense pressure on your brakes, something we don't need to worry about in GT4 :)

I use an enormous amount of overlap between brake and throttle. This is probably a case of me applying real-life techniques to my GT4 driving.

Particularly at the Nurburgring, and of course on the rally tracks, I've seen myself overlapping to the point of having half throttle and half brake on at the same time on corner entry.

It comes from preferring an oversteering setup, which requires a lot of adjustment coming into and through the apex of the corner to prevent a spin. By that I mean I like to steer the car with the throttle and brake, if I can, and keep wheel movement to a minimum.

I also prefer to keep my right foot flat and just brush the brake with my left foot rather than lift the accelerator. That's another rallying technique (and useful coming up to blind crests by the way ;) ).

But really it's whatever works for you. Even in F1 and the WRC there are some drivers who always brake with left foot and some that don't. There are some left-foot brakers who use it more than others. Maybe it's the difference between the pace of some drivers, but I doubt it.

ZeratulSG
This conversation inspired me to look at my technique last night, something I haven't done in some time. Obviously it is quite dependant on the type of corner, but I found that I generally overlap ever so slightly when I start to brake (and I'm still coming off the gas), so I end up with, at most, about 5% gas 5% brakes together for a split second. This doesn't really pose any problem with regard to slowing or unsettling the car.

I pulled up one of my practice (time trial) laps at the round 8 track and fed it into the analyzer, just for another look. I checked the critical brakes off/gas on sections, and found something interesting. At these points, where for whatever reason, I would be using a 100% brakes to almost 100% throttle method, and even with using my right foot only for each, I actually showed a very tiny bit of overlap. This has to mean that the gas pedal was chasing my foot as I released it, to the degree that I had my foot on the brakes BEFORE the throttle actually closed completely. So at those particular points I was transitioning from gas to brake (virtually) instantaneously.

You might want to give this a try, just to find out if you would see the same effect, if you're thinking of using the right foot only method on occasion.

I think I'll pull up my Motegi qualifying lap and take a look at it, since Motegi seems very much as one of our colleagues said, a stop, turn, and go type of track.

For me, the analyzer helps to tell me if my laps are fairly efficient or not. If I see spots where my brake/throttle applications don't make sense, I will disregard the lap regardless of the lap time, and try again.

interesting discussion.

for me, braking and gas always overlap. since i drive with both sticks of the DS2, i think this kind of overlapping happens with everyone... unless you try to "coast" some points of the track.

this coasting thing are those moments where you are not braking and not hitting the gas.

they are very bad:tdown:

happens usually when i brake to early, and i just let the car roll to get to the apex of the turn. i try to avoid that at all costs. in my opinion, the more time i spend with 100% gas, better:tup:

I may not be submitting this week guys, a very close friend died suddenly last Sunday and I just haven't felt like driving, also I'm going into the Hospital tomorrow for 2 days for some tests I've been putting off... once you're my age it all becomes decay management!!! Can you say colonoscapy?

Well, my 2nd and best shot was submitted.

I think I did well, given the possibilities of my car and the time I had to try the race. Until the end of February, it will be hard to find out time for the races due to the work load already scheduled, but I'll be here.... with my possible best

Time submitted.

I really have no idea how I'll go, though I don't think I had the optimum pit strategy.

Good luck everyone. :)

Had a solid 2nd run, I would've liked time to try again but alas. One or two very minor offs and a couple of hair-raising moments with the backmarkers. I have an addition for PD for GT5's AI scripting, I'll provide the pseudocode here:

if (player car on racing line) {
DON'T RAM HIM OFF THE ROAD!;
}

Bloody hell those buggers are bad. You can kinda work around the AI and squeeze a little intelligence outta them with slower cars, and I still maintain that the AI in GT mode is generally more aware, but I had at least 3 runs ruined because of AI stupidity.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

well, i´m curious to see the results. (tomorrow i think) i really liked my race, i hope its good enough this time.

had my backs against the wall, i need desperately those points, because things will get uglier from now on...

has no incidents with the AI, but i know they suck. i hate them badly. in the end of the season i would like to punch the panoz driver, because that bastard always gets in my way during the races...

i tried to push the entire race, because the pits are very short... lets see if that was the right atitute... 4 stops:nervous:

I did the 4 stops, too. I'm hoping for 1st because I also think the rest of the season will be rough for me. I'll take the win and the weight penalty now, thanks. :)

Well, I finished on 5 stops.

Taking the words of someone I consider a great GT4 driver:

"My strategy was simple as that: Using Racing Soft tires all the way, pited in laps 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25. I was hiting 1'41´s all the time, just in the pit in and out laps that not coz u lost time but the rest was all 1'41´s, just once i got distracted and did 1'42.2 but didn´t hurt my final time that much. "

Know who it is? fasj?

The only big diference is that I can't drive as fast as he does.... not even close. There's a diference of about 2 seconds between my laps and his. My best lap was slower then his worst...

Let's see if the advice from the pro worked or not. :sly:

I did 2 stops, but hoping did ok since most the week was laid out with a flu type cold and didn't really feel up to anything.

jctraduz
Well, I finished on 5 stops.

Taking the words of someone I consider a great GT4 driver:

"My strategy was simple as that: Using Racing Soft tires all the way, pited in laps 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25. I was hiting 1'41´s all the time, just in the pit in and out laps that not coz u lost time but the rest was all 1'41´s, just once i got distracted and did 1'42.2 but didn´t hurt my final time that much. "

Know who it is? fasj?
veilsidebr?

----------

I stopped on laps 6, 12, 18, 24. After six laps on R4's the front left was orange but not too dark. I could've gone another lap without slowing down too much, but there's no pit pattern for running 7 laps. One time, I tried to push to 8 laps but quickly spun into the wall.

Back