Improved Engine Sound

• Thread starter SammyXp
  • 194 comments
As trivial as it might seem - I'm honestly going to be pretty adamant that GT5 have vastly improved engine sounds. The American cars seemed to sound particularly like a dying hair dryer, but they need to improve all around for this next generation to really be worthwhile.
As their name implies, Polyphonic Digital tends to manufacture their own sounds, but the very least they could do is start off with a real recording and manipulate it similar to Simbin's GTR FIA Racing Game or Rfactor.

If they can't get at least somewhat closer to this, then they don't need to bother trying:
http://www.gtr-game.com/download/Pit_Comms_in_game_sketch2.mp3
http://www.gtr-game.com/download/Pit_Comms_in_game_sketch.mp3
http://www.gtr-game.com/download/550_clip.mp3

Anyone still think the current engine sounds are realistic?

dude, i pray and pray and pray that the sound improves for gt5, thats what really makes a game realistic, its the sound!! those clips sound great, and anything close to that would be ideal. Some cars sound really good, but some just lack that intense feeling one should get speeding down a track. Lets see if PD straightens this out. Its a must.

OK listen up, GT5 will have realistic vehicle sounds. Seems like only a few people know that PS2 audio capabilities were quite limited and could not play the sound samples at the recorded bit rate. That's why the sound samples are very poor in many of the vehicles, they try but it only sounds decent of a few autos. PS3 should alleviate this problem and well hear those throaty V8 churn and grumble, turbo I4 whelping, 18,000RPM V10 screaming like banshees.

Man, I hope you're right, Savage. Seems odd though, that with all of it's graphics processing power, the PS2 wouldn't be able to play a sound that my cheesy $13 PC sound card can.
It's obvious that none of the GT4 sounds are recorded, but rather synthesized. To me, that indicates they decided it wasn't worth the time/effort/expense of getting the actual sound recordings of every car in their daunting lineup in the various conditions necessary in order to produce GTR-quality sound.
Sure doesn't seem as if it has anything to do with the actual capabilities of the PS2, but I guess I'll take your word for it and pray you're right and I'm wrong!

SavageEvil
OK listen up, GT5 will have realistic vehicle sounds. Seems like only a few people know that PS2 audio capabilities were quite limited and could not play the sound samples at the recorded bit rate. That's why the sound samples are very poor in many of the vehicles, they try but it only sounds decent of a few autos. PS3 should alleviate this problem and well hear those throaty V8 churn and grumble, turbo I4 whelping, 18,000RPM V10 screaming like banshees.

It all depends on how they do it. PS2 could do good engine noise.. TOCA3 and *shudder* NFS have excellent engine noise compared to GT. I think part of the problem is the sheer volume of vehicles, that they come up with "cheap" ways to make engine sounds very quickly, so they can have several hundred of them. I think it's easier when you have only a few dozen vehicles you have to make sounds for.

PS3 should alleviate it.. they'll have all the room they need for engine samples on the disc, and the processor is more than powerful enough to handle it. They could easily devote an entire processor core to just sound.

SavageEvil

It's also strange seeing as how the audio in TOCA was amazing as far as the racing sounds went... I think that's a cop out... The PS2 wasn't/isn't a bad piece of machinery... Many people are simply using that as a cop out for a lot of things that really should have been better in this game... By the way, the sounds in GT HD aren't all that much better, if any, than those in GT4... I know it's not the "real" next gen GT yet, but so far, I'm not all that impressed... PD are sliping from lack of competition...

Yes, the sounds are not very accurate. The throaty rumble of the V8 muscle cars has yet to be captured, and many of the race cars sound like dental drills set on "High". I do hope they can improve this in GT5. And is it just me, or does tire squeel when skidding around corners and flooring it from standstill not sound right? The pitches seem too low and steady to me.

3-Wheel Drive
Yes, the sounds are not very accurate. The throaty rumble of the V8 muscle cars has yet to be captured, and many of the race cars sound like dental drills set on "High". I do hope they can improve this in GT5. And is it just me, or does tire squeel when skidding around corners and flooring it from standstill not sound right? The pitches seem too low and steady to me.
Dental Drills, haha, I hadn't heard that one yet. I thought for a second that you said Cordless Drill because my DeWalt sounds meaner than a lot of the cars in Gran Turismo.

I think Jedi2016 summed it up well. They put the priority on quantity, not quality. GT5 must have both.

SammyXp
If they can't get at least somewhat closer to this, then they don't need to bother trying:
http://www.gtr-game.com/download/Pit_Comms_in_game_sketch2.mp3
http://www.gtr-game.com/download/Pit_Comms_in_game_sketch.mp3
http://www.gtr-game.com/download/550_clip.mp3

Anyone still think the current engine sounds are realistic?

Wow, if they get realistic like that for every car in GT5, I think there is going to be an erection everytime a new car will pop up in the garage. 👍

I must admit that I was gutted, truely gutted when I finaly heard th weak tea effort that PD made of the Mclaren SLR. That thing sounds like an old WW2 Spitfire, and I had visions of thundering along the Nurbergring in this car with this engine note in the background. Who needs in game music, when you have an engine note like that?

Finger crossed the GT5, and the PS3 deal with this a lot better.

I agree with those that say that quantity was chosen over quality... The more I play the newer racing games on PCs, 360 and PS2, the more I come to realize that the sounds made by the cars in this game are very pedestrian at the best of times...

It's the little things that make the difference, up hill and down hill, terrain (listen to how the cars in TOCA sound when running on gravel to see what I mean). Also as a side note, as you reduce the weight of your cars, the sound and amount of noise you hear in the cars should go up, as they're removing the insulation to make it lighter...

I'm not sure in what kinda dreamland some of you live, but recording engine sounds, reving sounds & Racing sounds for each additional car of the 700.
would take lightyears (sorta) I think you can do upmost 2 cars a day wich is +/-
12 months of work if you record every single day, and that only for the sound. which will take around 3 years at least to finish the developing of GTgames.

Canadian Speed
I agree with those that say that quantity was chosen over quality...

This is the truest word i've ever in accordance to Gran Turismo 4...

exactly why the Concept was so much better looking...

Nismo_GTR
I'm not sure in what kinda dreamland some of you live, but recording engine sounds, reving sounds & Racing sounds for each additional car of the 700.
would take lightyears (sorta) I think you can do upmost 2 cars a day wich is +/-
12 months of work if you record every single day, and that only for the sound. which will take around 3 years at least to finish the developing of GTgames.

I think it is possible. Japanese are so organized and methodic. That would not be a problem.

[anime]
Kaz: "All right, go to Nissan and record their Skylines"
Employee 1: "But there are 300 Skylines in there!"
Kaz: "All right, then. Record 150 Skylines and 150 Evos at Mitsubishi"
Employee 1: "Yatta"

Employee 2: "Kaz-Senpai, wouldn't that be way better if we record 300 cars from 300 different categories, just like 1 sound feed for 1000cc air cooled, one sound feed for 1600cc 4 cylinders, and so on?"

Kaz: "Yes, but are these cars in Japan?"

Employee 1, Employee 2: "No" (insert <sadness> Anime expression here)

Employee 3 comes with his super AE86, jumping directly into Kaz office, screaming: "No way! We HAVE to record every single sound in the world. Nintendo are catching us, Microsoft are catching us. Even that 10-tentacle monster <insert generic anime monster with 10 tentacles> with their GTR are catchin' us. We NEEED it, Kaz-sama!"

Kaz: "All right, guys! Ganbate!!!"

[/anime]

I believe that Polyphonic Digital has significantly more resources than Simbin. Granted, Simbin only recorded a few dozen cars, but a lot of the recordings could be re-used and digitally modified to fit quite a few cars. Anything would be better than the canned crap that we have to deal with now.

GT4's sounds are digitally recorded from actual cars, not every car is recorded, especially ones that have the same engine types, because they will sound alike. The record process is painstakingly long, you have to recorde the vehicle at idle, then across the entire RPM range, not sure how they go about that, along with the adding of engine mods that change the sound vibrations of the car.

But as I said, Kaz himself stated that they could not get the sounds in GT4 to play on the PS2 at the sample rates which they recorded and still have the game running smoothly. Heck GT4 chugs when 5 cars fill the screen at one time with sounds blaring, something I've never witnessed in GT3 to this date.

PD guys really bust their asses on their product, might look like they aren't doing as much as possible, but they usually have to make cuts of things which they do not think is necessary for the sake of releasing the game in a timely fashion. Hence why GT games are seemingly always late.

SavageEvil
GT4's sounds are digitally recorded from actual cars,.
Where is your source to verify this? I have a really, really hard time believing that the sounds I'm hearing originating from any type of recording, no matter what the quality.

SavageEvil
... not every car is recorded, especially ones that have the same engine types, because they will sound alike. The record process is painstakingly long, you have to recorde the vehicle at idle, then across the entire RPM range, not sure how they go about that,
Right, and since you're not sure about their methods, it would be helpful to mention that this is conjecture. It would help alleviate any confusion from someone who will inevitably repeat this is fact.

I do have an idea of how they get engine sounds. GTR did a documentary on the recording process. It was paintstaking, for sure, but PD's resources, it would be a walk in the part. They don't record over the entire range of RPM. Only high, mid and low rpm range, both on and off throttle. Those sounds, coupled with gear whine, wind rush, tire screeching, etc. are mixed digitally to produce a very realistic sound. I sincerely believe PD can do an even better job than Simbin did. We, as consumers, simply must demand it, rather than make excuses for them.

As for the headphones? I've tried playing the game with my Sennheiser noise cancelling 'hones and it makes it worse. Because the leaf blower sound is all the more clear.

Ive noticed that in GT4, the sounds are much better on a stock vehicle than if you increase the power. The next time you play, vary the throttle on a stock vehicle and it sounds descent. Put a racing exhaust on it and then it seems they all sound the same.

I think PD did a decent job with the sounds in GT4 but they can get better. One way to appreciate the sounds are to casually modify the vehicles (i.e Sport/Semi-racing exhaust) allowing you to really tell the differences in the sounds. One of my favorite ways to modify the cars are to install a sport exhaust and Stage 1 NA/Turbo (keeping with its stock aspiration) along with the "sport" selection of drivetrain parts. Changing from stock to sport really shows a difference.

I think they need to really get the sounds right when...

the C5R Sounds like my Voyager's 3.0 V6 did
the Camaro sounds the same way it has since GT1
the Charger's 440 sounds like the Skyline's Six when fully modded

'cmon! I've heard better sounds in "Dukes," and that was DUBBED! (With the proper Mopar "B/RB" thru Glasspacks.)

I thought PD did a decent job as well. That is, until I heard something that outclassed it entirely. Have you listened to those clips from GTR? Once another game has raised the bar, PD simply cannot ignore the bar and continue as they were.
And those clips from GTR don't even show the half of it. You should hear the sound of a Mosler starting up and idling in the garage. I could sit there and rev the engine in neutral for hours (actually have).

I hope they give us the option of actually starting the cars up for test runs, maybe even if you crash or something engine dies. Perhaps even killing the motor due to mechanical failures or out of gas. Then maybe even have the engines start up as you look for cars in your garage. Yes sounds are bad in GT4. I actually think sounds in GT2 are the best of all the series. Yes the engine sounds etc. are crucial to an realistic experience.

i'd say only 1 in 50 cars sound like the real thing. But considering the fact that theres 700 cars, i can see the amount of trouble they have. But seriously, PD should'ev put more thought into the exhaust note of every car.
Most releastic i'd say is the Amuse Carbon skyline, its got that exact exhaust note, seeming as i'ev seen it run at tsukuba on video.
And what every happened to the blow-off-valve, as many have said, yes you can actually hear the B.O.V outside.
But worst i say when car sounds like a exactly like another car.
Spoon Integra and S14 '93' sound the same, but without PSSH! both with racing exhaust.
(Yes i'ev got GTR, DAMN sounds ultra realistic, eg. Hearing Lambo Murcilago is awsome, from idle all the way to 7000RPM..... Porsche 911, dont go there, its just to good. Get the game if you must, most realistic racing game i'ev played)

I agree, get yourself a pare a headset, turn it up loud, and you'll be blown away by great engine sounds! Some of you still forget that this is still a PS2 and that this game actualy runs respectably darn smooth for such good physics! bare that in mind foks! i think all of our espectations will be met in GT6 i guess, because GT5 will be released at the launch of PS3. game developers are still in developing stage on how to use the PS3 at his outmost.
So be patient my people!

Too be honest, those clips from GTR weren't in-game. The cars don't sound like that in the game.

However, the in-game sounds from GTR are still far superior.

To make it even more clear - those clips were generated from actual gameplay replays. So the primary difference is that you're hearing external exhaust notes, not internal. Yep, Simbin actually recorded both external and internal notes. I need to figure out a way to record a hotlap in the Mosler and post it here. Gauranteed wood.

No they were not. The external sound notes in GTR are absolute crap in many cases. Not even close to the quality in the cockpit.

Those sound clips were obviously real ones.

Encyclopedia
No they were not. The external sound notes in GTR are absolute crap in many cases. Not even close to the quality in the cockpit.

Those sound clips were obviously real ones.
Subjective.
With some cars in particular (Williams F1, Lotus Elise), I far prefer the external sound (with top view, or during replays).
In any event, I don't want to muddy up the waters here. Those sound clips represent the capability of a game's sound engine. Not some mocked up opening credits movie sort of thing.

Latest Posts

Back