Best American Car (Final Voting for SWE/AUS)

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 89 comments

VOTE FOR BEST SWE/AUS CAR

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
United States
GR-MI-USA
YSSMAN
YSSMAN
VOTE NOW!!!

Your votes have chosen the top-three from Sweeden and Australia, and it's your turn to vote. You've got three days to make your decision, and MAKE SURE YOU ARE VOTING FROM ONE FROM SWEEDEN AND ONE FROM AUSTRALIA...

Now, for what you have all been waiting for, BEST AMERICAN CAR!

What makes a particular car great? Although we have attempted to answer this question in all of the previous threads, and some of us have had quite an easy time picking a model, this is by far the hardest for me. Do you go for something like the Ford Model T which baisically "made" the automobile what it is today? Do you go with the wartime favorite, the Jeep? What about the "classic" post-war models like the Bel Air, Fury, and Galaxie? Maybe a sportscar like the Corvette or Cobra? An American musclecar like the Mustang or Charger?

This is by far the hardest choise I must make, as there have been literally dozens of models that have changed the way cars were built in America. I've narrowed it down to two, as this will be the first an really only time I plan uppon making a double nomination...

The Chevrolet Bel-Air:

When you think of an American car, what do you think of? Clean, elegant lines? Stong V8 power? A comfortable ride and handeling trade-off? For many people, the quintessential American car was the 1955-1957 Chevrolet Bel Air. Known as the "Hot One" by many people around the world, the car was truely revolutionary at the time in terms of design.

...The look was bold, clean, and sharp. I can't think of many people who do not like the Bel Air, no matter if they are a Ford or Chrysler fan, etc. It is the car that was truely "done right" from top to bottom, front to back. The porportions are damn-near perfect in every direction, and the car still stands as a styling icon more than 50 years later.

But we also need to remember that it was the Bel Air that made the Chevrolet Small-Block V8 a popular engine. The 265ci and 283ci V8s were both used in the Bel Air, and 350 swaps are as common as cotton here in the US.

It truely is the "bread-and-butter" car that Americans love, thus my first nom is with the Bel Air:

(see that other car back there? Yeah, the green one? Yeah, thats nomination number two...)

The Chevrolet Corvette

Who didn't see it comming? I mean really, with the words I write every day on this board, did we not see it comming?

What more can be said about the Corvette that hasn't been said before? The car simply put is one of the best cars built anywhere, at any time. It has always done what it was meant to do quite well... Offer a cheap ammount of performance that satisfied the needs of returning GIs from Europe. Although today the definition of the car has certainly changed a bit, the value and performance of the car is simply unlike anything sold in the world. If you can name one production car that can outperform the F430 and 911 Turbo, you can buy for less than $70K with a three-year warranty, and get nearly 30 MPG, give me a call...

This is the car that has defined the American automotive industry, no matter the company, since 1953. The designs have always been stunning, seeming to be ahead of the curve in every generation. Models range from the "average" to the "legendary" worldwide, and the racing heritage of just one model is unmatched. Added to that, just like the Bel Air, the Chevrolet Small Block owes a lot of it's success to the Corvette as well.

...Thus, I also nominate the Chevrolet Corvette...

----

Feel free to nominate, debate, and so on... I'm not setting an offical end to the nomination round as there are lots of models to get through. The loose end is at about three days as usual, but that can be extended. Have fun, be respectful, and God Bless America!

WHOOPS!

I realise that I forgot to make it multiple choise. Feel free to vote for one of the cars from one of the countries, and then type in your other vote. I'll add everything up at the end.

My Sweedish Vote: Volvo 240, Bork! Bork! Bork!

I am seconding the nomination for the Corvette.

I also am nominating the Shelby Cobra. I don't have a picture of it sorry, but it's the most replicated car of all time, it's an ingenius idea of big engine small car, it's as collectible as any car out there, and it's beautiful.

My other vote is for Koeingsegg

I nominate the Pontiac GTO (1964-69)

I vote the Corvette. Specifically 1953, 1963, ZR1, Sledgehammer, Z06, and C6 in general (including Z06)

Smexy. End of story.

Also, I nominate the '64 Chevy Impala (no pic, sorry). The car that single handedly started the lowrider craze. Says it all really.

And (I know I'm an American car freak) I second the nomination for the Bel Air and offer one more suggestion: S7. Not much history behind it, but it really launched America into the supercar ring with something incredibly insane. Also (check me on this) it's the first non conversion American car to go over 200mph.

And for Sweedish: Koeingsegg (or how ever you really spell it)

P.S. How do you pronounce that? Is it Cone-e-segg?

P.P.S. Change the Nomination to CC series. Or add CC8S to the list (the original). Just a thought.

I vote the Corvette. Specifically 1953, 1963, ZR1, Sledgehammer, Z06, and C6 in general (including Z06)

Smexy. End of story.

Also, I nominate the '64 Chevy Impala (no pic, sorry). The car that single handedly started the lowrider craze. Says it all really.

And (I know I'm an American car freak) I second the nomination for the Bel Air and offer one more suggestion: S7. Not much history behind it, but it really launched America into the supercar ring with something incredibly insane. Also (check me on this) it's the first non conversion American car to go over 200mph.

P.P.S. Change the Nomination to CC series. Or add CC8S to the list (the original). Just a thought.

I believe it is pronounced Cone ig Zegg

You are correct on the S7 being the first American non conversion to go 200+

Smexy. End of story.

You can't vote for the Corvette yet, you only can nominate it.

You voted for Koeingsegg (swedish) above in the poll, you are supposed to now list what Aussie car you vote for

Remember this is Australian and Swedish voting, and American car nominating.

...I'm waiting for the Ford fans to drag in the Mustang and F150. They deserve their place too, IMO...

I nominate the Chyrsler K Car, and any of its variations. (Reliant, Omni, Horizon, etc.)

They were cheap, simple, and would go forever. If they did happen to break down on you, they could be easily repaired with a twist tie and a pair of panty hose. (Which I heard actually upgraded the car :lol: )

Voted for the P1800(on the poll),

Mark my other as the Munroe. :)

-----

Nomination... hmmm... tough choice.

I'm still thinking.

Okay, there's no car more pedestrian, special, over-rated, under-rated, iconic, loved, hated, etcetera than the Ford Mustang. This car defines American cars, and it's living paradox, both a high-performance animal and a pedestrian commuter car in one.

Of course, somebody has got to nominate the Camaro, because it's everything the Ford is +1. :lol:

My votes are for the Monaro and the Volvo 240.

My nominations are for the following:
-Chevrolet Corvette.
It was the first successful American sports car, although it nearly didn't make it through the first few years. It has for 50 years, and hopefully always will bring great looks, high performance, and low cost together in one car.
-Ford Model T
The first car to be mass produced on an assembly line, the Model T has been everything from a workhorse to a family hauler and a street rod. It was versatile and a world-first in its' time.
-Pontiac GTO
My last nomination, it is the car that arguably kick-started the Muscle Car era. It was the first car in the mid-60's to put a full-size motor in an intermediate body, and it was met with enormous praise and success.

(I'm not posting pictures because everyone on these forums should know what a 'Vette, a Model T, and a Goat look like).

-Ford Model T
The first car to be mass produced on an assembly line, the Model T has been everything from a workhorse to a family hauler and a street rod. It was versatile and a world-first in its' time.
How could I forget the Model T? This belongs pretty high up on the list of innovative cars. It was the first car produced for the everyday American, what was to launch the automobile industry here in the states.

This isn't the one I've been waiting for :lol:, we had that with the @"Best British car" poll ;). Anyhow this is a tough one. I'm leaning towards the Ford Mustang at the moment, the influence that car has had is massive.

PT Cruiser. I believe it started the retro styling craze.
Willys Jeep. For starting the 4x4 craze (However not teh first 4x4 vehicle)

Vote, Monaro.

The Ford Model T deserves a mention, but for me, along with the VW Beetle it doesn't really mean an awful lot today. Sure it revolutionised mass production but what else does it bring to the table? is it a great car or just a great way of making a cheap car?

The GT40 - sure a racing icon but of dual nationality parent wise and a race car first, road car second - which for me is not the point of these threads.

Muscle cars (take your pick) - putting a powerful engine in a mundane chassis had already been done by the Europeans. On a worldwide scale muscle cars had little impact outside of the US where fuel has always been cheap.

For me it has to be either the Mustang or the Vette, both cars have been around forever. As a Ford man i would like to lean towards the Mustang. But sometime between the mid/late 70's and late 80's it lost its way. Not only did it not perform but it looked dreadful. The past two generations have rebuilt its image but those Fox and Mustang II bodied years are a dead weight around its neck.

Which leaves the Corvette. I personally have never liked the Vette, past or present, but it is America's sports car and has been for what, over 50 years? During this time it's never lost direction and has kept true to what it has always stood for and what it means to the general public, like the 911 it is a benchmark car.

I voted for the Monaro, and my other vote still goes the Volvo P1800.

I'll not nominate any American cars, as the Corvette has been nominated loads of times, and I'll probably vote for it.

Best American Car?

They've all been equally poor :sly:

Edit: At a push, the 300C.
113.jpg

The only American car that I lust after, and I'd take over a French equivalent.

Well done, Chrysler, that's quite a feat.

Volvo 240.
Oh, and Tucker Torpedo. Just so I have accomplished voting for every obscure automobile in every thread I nominated in, and also because it is awesome to the extreme.
250px-Tuckers.jpg

And the Chevrolet Corvair, for all it's understated versatility and innovation (first turbocharged car for the win! Well, close enough anyways).

250px-Corvair-convertible-1.jpg

...Corvair? Really?

I saw a bunch of those last weeked at the Grand Rapids Metro Cruise. They are pretty rare cars around here, and given how much we Michiganders love our American cars, I find that extremely odd.

Back