Weekly Drag Series - Week 2 + Results

Hello again! This week we will be racing the Mazda Mazda6 Touring Car 2002. You can win this car in the Special Conditions Hall, Tsukuba Wet Race (Normal). You'll have fun learning how to drag race a 4WD.

NOTE:

-All races are held at the Las Vegas drag strip
-Please save your replay AND YOUR SETTINGS
-No gamesharking is allowed to enhance the car
-Cheating of any kind will not be tolerated
-Winner must post settings at conclusion of race, otherwise the win goes to the next fastest person who can supply repeatable settings
-Post your time here in the thread before the time limit passes (do not PM it to me)

RACE CONDITIONS/LIMITATIONS:

-All modifications welcome except for a tire limitation
-This means nitrous and any other mod that you can buy or do to your car is legal
-Tire limitation: Sports soft (S3) or worse. Absolutely no racing tires
-No TCS allowed

This car has good enough traction even with a stage 4 turbo and nitrous all the way up that you will only spin your tires in first, maybe second gear depending on how you gear it. So don't complain about no TCS or racing tires. The LSD and downforce will be very important this week in getting your car to jump off the line and keep accelerating.

As you can infer from the rules, it is a good idea to write down your settings and save the replay, as well as your time. I will not require you to post replays, so for those of you who don't have a maxdrive, don't worry. Unlike any other OLR event, you can bump and scrape the walls all you want. Kill some pedestrians, I don't care. BUT - if you don't post settings, or if your settings are questioned by another racer and no one can repeat your run within reasonable limits, either you will have to give away your strategy or the win will be taken away from you.

This will be a 10 point event, 1st place is awarded 10 point, 2nd nine, and so on. Anyone can race any week.

This race will conclude at noon (12pm) Friday February 23rd, EST. This time limit is designed to give you a few extra hours, for I get home from work around 5 or so. That said, if a racer sends me a PM and asks for an extra day due to unforeseen circumstance, I will almost always grant it as long as it doesn't become a habit.

Speaking of PMs.... I am not a Moderator and this is not an official GTP race. I cannot handle a mass influx of PMs. So, this is why you must post your time within this thread before the time limit passes.

Current Leaderboard

Perfect Balance (10)
kennythebomb (9)
TYP-27R (8)
musclecarlover (7)
somebody (6)
Ballstothewall (5)
Santo (4)
LOON (3)
Kelvari (2)
holzlondon (1)

Everyone got a point last week :)

Enjoy the race!!

Results

10.226 – Perfect Balance
10.250 – KLR142
10.337 – kennythebomb
10.533 – texanidiot25
10.967 – Ballstothewall
11.3xx – Santo
11.479 – LOON
11.487 – Kelvari

I think it is humorously ironic that the closest, 'most intense battle', was for last. :D

Woo Hoo, 3 points!

Interesting car choice, there are going to be pretty fast times this week I bet.

EDIT: My time for now is 11.479

Some things that helped me are....

1. All the buttons are pressure sensitive, so this means the Nos button is also, so you can use it in 2nd & 3rd and not spin tires.
2. I thinks its important not to spin on the launch, I think this will drastically effect your run if you do.
3. I tried to launch at around 7,500-8,000 rpms.
4. Instead of holding the gas at those RPMs, I tried to let the RMP's gradually grow to 8,000 when the countdown reach 1 for a good launch.

Those tips helped me shave off some seconds off my first couple of runs so maybe they'll help y'all.

Woo Hoo, 3 points!

Interesting car choice, there are going to be pretty fast times this week I bet.

EDIT: My time for now is 11.479

Some things that helped me are....

1. All the buttons are pressure sensitive, so this means the Nos button is also, so you can use it in 2nd & 3rd and not spin tires.
2. I thinks its important not to spin on the launch, I think this will drastically effect your run if you do.
3. I tried to launch at around 7,500-8,000 rpms.
4. Instead of holding the gas at those RPMs, I tried to let the RMP's gradually grow to 8,000 when the countdown reach 1 for a good launch.

Those tips helped me shave off some seconds off my first couple of runs so maybe they'll help y'all.

Good time, I think my best out of like 5 runs was around 11.6, I'll have to try that and see what I can get :)

Try to focus on the throttle input more than the actual rpms. This car starts hitting the rev limiter with about half throttle input, but it can launch without spinning at about 75%. At this point its just bouncing off the rev limiter, but when it launches, its still nothing more than a quick squeak.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Sorry for 2 posts in a row, but It's safe to say it's not double posting, it's been a couple of hours.

Try to focus on the throttle input more than the actual rpms. This car starts hitting the rev limiter with about half throttle input, but it can launch without spinning at about 75%. At this point its just bouncing off the rev limiter, but when it launches, its still nothing more than a quick squeak.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Sorry for 2 posts in a row, but It's safe to say it's not double posting, it's been a couple of hours.

Thanks for tip PB.

You're not going to tell us your time till the end are you?

Well, I haven't been able to squeeze anything else out of the car, even though I know it's capable of way more. The wheel spin is so hard to control, but if I do control it, I end up losing more time than I make up by not spinning.

I'm getting an average of around 11.100-11.300 with a crapload of wheelspin in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear.

EDIT: I TAKE THAT ^ BACK! :):)

And no, I probably won't tell you my time, but this post:

Perfect Balance
Lets just say sub 11 sec runs are possible.:sly:
pretty much sums it up.

I think it'd be cool with just us, I'd be able to get 8 points this time.

NOTE: I'm not serious.

What's up Kenny and others!?! :) I'm a bit unmotivated to do any of the racing for the other things I regularly compete in, and have wasted enough of the day doing not too much on the computer, and drag racing's always interested me, so... I'm stepping in this week for a bit of racing. I've always had a slight edge at launching, and I'm going to play with setup this week with you guys.

Just did my very first run, 11.321. Mucho tuning to do! :D

Thanks! It's been a bit tough to improve on it much... :)

Currently stuck in the 10.9s... Gotta find the trick to getting it to go faster now!

This car has quite the power band... All up top, nothing else! And I'm noticing that the traction in GT4 doesn't make much sense... If your wheels are spinning that much faster than they're actually moving, I'd think that adding nitrous wouldn't ACCELERATE you faster if you're already doing a burnout.

Hitting the nitrous after the initial launch seems to help me a bit, but it's definitely not providing mid-low 10s. I wonder if I'll have to rethink my full throttle the whole time approach?

Thanks! It's been a bit tough to improve on it much... :)

Currently stuck in the 10.9s... Gotta find the trick to getting it to go faster now!

This car has quite the power band... All up top, nothing else! And I'm noticing that the traction in GT4 doesn't make much sense... If your wheels are spinning that much faster than they're actually moving, I'd think that adding nitrous wouldn't ACCELERATE you faster if you're already doing a burnout.

Hitting the nitrous after the initial launch seems to help me a bit, but it's definitely not providing mid-low 10s. I wonder if I'll have to rethink my full throttle the whole time approach?

I'm starting in second gear and I'm full throttle the entire time, just not full nitrous the entire time. Once the revs fall, you can hit it for a quick burst.

The key to setting this car up is rethinking what kind of car this is.

Nice to see you racing by the way :)

I currently have a 10.653

Anyone else running this week? It'd be nice to see some times :)

edit: 10.337
Damn you Kenny!

EDIT: Never mind, I can match that.

EDIT#2: Its wierd how before I was struggling to get it under 11 sec. Then I was struggling to get less than 10.5, with consistent 10.6-10.7 sec runs. Now finally, I'm struggling to get under 10.3, with consistent 10.4 sec runs.

i managed to squeeze a 11.3xx out of basically stock settings with the exception of stage 4 and nitrous all the way up. when im not busy i'll try lowering my time.

i managed to squeeze a 11.3xx out of basically stock settings with the exception of stage 4 and nitrous all the way up. when im not busy i'll try lowering my time.

Not bad, not bad... work on that suspension and you'll be in the 10s in no time :)

Time to go waste 200,000cr on a mazda. :)

Hardly a waste, it's a fine handling stable touring car :)

Yeh, I used it alot last time, before my card went corrupt.

Im at 11.231. Just trying to find a good trans set up. Ive already got my silly looking suspension set up... for me it works. All high settings in the front, low ride hight. All low settings in the rear, much higher ride height. Just so that the rear end dumps at the take off. Its worked wonders on my 98 SS camaro.

Yeh, I used it alot last time, before my card went corrupt.

Im at 11.231. Just trying to find a good trans set up. Ive already got my silly looking suspension set up... for me it works. All high settings in the front, low ride hight. All low settings in the rear, much higher ride height. Just so that the rear end dumps at the take off. Its worked wonders on my 98 SS camaro.

I dare say this is the opposite of what you should be doing....

I dare say this is the opposite of what you should be doing....
I'm getting no response from suspension settings pretty much... And none from playing with the VCD either.

Still hanging out in the 10.9s, just did a 10.911.

Still trying to figure out what kind of launch you're doing... I'm getting better results staying in first and getting on the nitrous just after the light turns green. :indiff:

EDIT: Just tried the randomness of going full stiff settings in the rear and scraping the rear bumper, while going full soft up front with the bumper pointed to the sky and did a 10.899. Will keep on messing with things... :)

EDIT2: That was just dumb luck. Had nothing to do with the suspension settings. *sigh* Lol.

I'm getting no response from suspension settings pretty much... And none from playing with the VCD either.

Still hanging out in the 10.9s, just did a 10.911.

Still trying to figure out what kind of launch you're doing... I'm getting better results staying in first and getting on the nitrous just after the light turns green. :indiff:

EDIT: Just tried the randomness of going full stiff settings in the rear and scraping the rear bumper, while going full soft up front with the bumper pointed to the sky and did a 10.899. Will keep on messing with things... :)

What drivetrain is the car?

EDIT2: That was just dumb luck. Had nothing to do with the suspension settings. *sigh* Lol.

No it wasn't...

(as in it wasn't dumb luck)

For real? Its worked for me... The rear end squats and it launches harder.

heck, Ive got the fastest truck right now (Toyota RSC). I jsut havent bothered to update my sig. Hmmm, I shall go try it.

edit:
Well, Ive always tuned RWD American cars when I play around with drag. Maybe its an AWD thing, I dunno. Ill give it a shot, thanks for the tip!

What drivetrain is the car?
AWD, front engine.

No it wasn't...

(as in it wasn't dumb luck)
But I couldn't go any faster with it like that. My next run was slower and continued to be like my other 10.9 runs.

I won't say I know how to setup a 4wd car in real life for drag racing, nor will I say that GT4 will be anything like a real setup for drag racing, but in my imaginary world:

I'd want all 4 wheels locked together, including the center diff, over which we don't have control over it's locking/slip(if any) ability, and I'd want to try to distribute the weight at the moment of the launch as evenly as possible between the 4 tires. Since it isn't RWD, I would try to keep some weight on the front tires as well on the launch. How much, who knows. I just haven't been able to make a noticeable change in times from suspension settings yet.

Are you using 6th gear? At first I was thinking it might be beneficial to only go up to 5th gear, but this car's powerband is so narrow that 6th seems to work better.

Still have to figure out what you're doing to go faster by starting in second...

Im running (Im old school) infamous 3.11's in the final drive, and almost redlining in 6th at the finish line. I cant do a long gear ratio like the muscle cars because the damn torque/power bands are so sharp. Turbos...

On the upside my lowest is 11.159 right now :) Even with a crappy launch it will do 11.3xx's.

hmmm, I have the problem of traction. If I dont nitrouse through atleast 3rd, it gets crap times. And its breaking loose in the upper end of 3rd. Maybe a bit more weight...

Adding weight? HMMM, interesting idea...

EDIT: Did a 10.850 before adding weight, after going to full ballast I'm not any faster... Just about the same actually, if not a tad slower.

Kenny and me are doing most of the things that didn't work for you guys and we're getting sub 10.5 sec runs.

EDIT: I'm full throttle and nitrous in first gear up to 6,500rpm with no wheelspin, make of it what you will.

You must be using a tall gear. Im not even using 1st. Im still playing with the transmission. :/ its a pain with the sharp power/torque band

Back