Weekly Drag Series - Week 2 + Results

FWIW, I'm messing around in AT and without using nitrous, just playing with settings to see what's faster than what.

If you're pushing the gas before it starts the session it gives repeatable results.

So far I've found that the damper settings make NO difference what so ever on the launch. Camber settings DO make a difference(thankfully, I'd be so pissed if they overlooked that), haven't messed with toe, but why would I, 0's best. I ran 4/20 for the springs, and then 20/20, and the 20/20 setup is .003 seconds faster. (4/4 is the fastest spring combination at almost .020 faster than 4/20) Basically nothing. Time to play with ride height, which has been at stock 98/98 for this testing session.

So far I've found that the damper settings make NO difference what so ever on the launch.
Oh really?

EDIT: No, my gearing actually isn't very tall, I'm finishing the race at redline in 5th gear, going around 145-150, for comparison.

Oh really?

EDIT: No, my gearing actually isn't very tall, I'm finishing the race at redline in 5th gear, going around 145-150, for comparison.
Well, it may make a difference, but the time is exactly the same. The time also doesn't change when I mess with the VCD.

I don't see how this is possible with any setup that ends near the redline in 5th gear.
It's possible, I just messed with the auto setting and the final gear.

EDIT: I don't launch while pressing nitrous, but I can launch full throttle with just a little squeak. I choose not to because I get faster times if I launch just a millimeter or so below full throttle, but I can.

EDIT#2: If you want, at the end of the week I can give you my settings.

EDIT: I don't launch while pressing nitrous, but I can launch full throttle with just a little squeak. I choose not to because I get faster times if I launch just a millimeter or so below full throttle, but I can.
Alrighty, that makes more sense. 👍 But still definitely not possible with any setup when only tinkering with the final and auto settings and ending in 5th gear, unless your suspension setup somehow manages to be that much better.

Alrighty, that makes more sense. 👍 But still definitely not possible with any setup when only tinkering with the final and auto settings and ending in 5th gear, unless your suspension setup somehow manages to be that much better.
I'll give you my transmisison setting after the week is up, you'll see, its just auto setting and final gear. I didn't touch the individual gears.

My suspension setup is very simple, everything is maxed out one way or another.

AWD, front engine.

Correct, except you are wrong.

Tune the Mazda as if it is an FR and it will work wonders for you.

in my imaginary world:

I'd want all 4 wheels locked together, including the center diff, over which we don't have control over it's locking/slip(if any) ability, and I'd want to try to distribute the weight at the moment of the launch as evenly as possible between the 4 tires. Since it isn't RWD, I would try to keep some weight on the front tires as well on the launch. How much, who knows. I just haven't been able to make a noticeable change in times from suspension settings yet.

Are you using 6th gear? At first I was thinking it might be beneficial to only go up to 5th gear, but this car's powerband is so narrow that 6th seems to work better.

Still have to figure out what you're doing to go faster by starting in second...

In real life this may be faster, but as this car is with so much power, it's best to set the VCD all the way down to 10, get more weight on the rear tires, and call it an FR.

I am starting in second, ending near the end of 6th. I'm only in sixth for about a 1/4 second, and I don't know why that is working.

Alex's transmission setup is highly different than mine and I haven't been able to emulate it yet. I can't seem to improve on mine or match his, which really frustrated me last night.

FWIW, I'm messing around in AT and without using nitrous, just playing with settings to see what's faster than what.

If you're pushing the gas before it starts the session it gives repeatable results.

So far I've found that the damper settings make NO difference what so ever on the launch. Camber settings DO make a difference(thankfully, I'd be so pissed if they overlooked that), haven't messed with toe, but why would I, 0's best. I ran 4/20 for the springs, and then 20/20, and the 20/20 setup is .003 seconds faster. (4/4 is the fastest spring combination at almost .020 faster than 4/20) Basically nothing. Time to play with ride height, which has been at stock 98/98 for this testing session.

I understand using AT and no nitrous for testing, but make sure for your actual runs you are using MT and nitrous as you will not possibly achieve our times without it.

Admittingly the springs are making nearly zero difference for me too. Shame, really.

Thats what I was gonna try today... making it RWD. Time to fire up the ol' PS2.

edit
Nvm, playing with ratios has gotten me down to 19.943, and the less front wheel power, the slower the ETs for me.

:lol: wow, haha, the mother of all typos. 10.943

Then it was 10.857

Now its sitting at 10.765 :)

Im using 1st gear now, and just messing with the VCD

This leaves me trailing the pack with a whopping 11.487 :yuck: Not a good week for my racing career

Im at 10.533

And stuck, I was on it for like 2 hours trying to get lower than a 10.5. I just cant squeeze any more out of this car it feels. 0-60 in 3 seconds, and a 10.5 1/4 is good and all... but 10.3 is better.

This leaves me trailing the pack with a whopping 11.487 :yuck: Not a good week for my racing career

Set it up like an FR, copy PB's suspension settings from last week

Im at 10.533

And stuck, I was on it for like 2 hours trying to get lower than a 10.5. I just cant squeeze any more out of this car it feels. 0-60 in 3 seconds, and a 10.5 1/4 is good and all... but 10.3 is better.

I know how you feel, last time I tried it I couldn't improve either. 10.533 is pretty good :)

..but not this one. :lol: Can't deal with this car.

What do you mean?? I'm sure you could put up a great time.

Maybe I'm putting more of my stock in this weeks WRS....I dunno. But I didn't really try to fudge with the car that much, and became disappointed quickly. Not my style to work with. Next week. ;)

Cheers,
Jetboy

Maybe I'm putting more of my stock in this weeks WRS....I dunno. But I didn't really try to fudge with the car that much, and became disappointed quickly. Not my style to work with. Next week. ;)

Cheers,
Jetboy
Another one bites the....um.......tarmac?

How's it taste?

Spent 1/2 hour on this.

Got a 10.967 on a fluke run that I can't reproduce!

Was playing with the VCD settings, got worse, put it back and now can't find the sweetspot for take off again.

Might come back to it after I do a few runs in the JGTC tomoz.

Neil

Another one bites the....um.......tarmac?

How's it taste?

Like fudge?

Spent 1/2 hour on this.

Got a 10.967 on a fluke run that I can't reproduce!

Was playing with the VCD settings, got worse, put it back and know can't find the sweetspot for take off again.

Might come back to it after I do a few runs in the JGTC tomoz.

Neil

VCD at 10, set it up like an FR. Copy PB's winning settings from last week and you'll get down to around 10.5 with enough runs

Pretty much have already done that Kenny.

Though 'adding weight' was something I was trying to remove from the equation. It goes against the grain.
I was playing around with the VCD to get slightly less power going to the rears, to combat the spin that adding the weight removes.

If the makes any sense :crazy:

Neil

Pretty much have already done that Kenny.

Though 'adding weight' was something I was trying to remove from the equation. It goes against the grain.
I was playing around with the VCD to get slightly less power going to the rears, to combat the spin that adding the weight removes.

If the makes any sense :crazy:

Neil

I have added considerable weight to the rear end of my Mazda... but not all possible.

The concept of adding weight goes with the grain, if the car is RWD and doesn't have enough traction at the start. Granted, this car is 4WD, but is much faster when set up like a RWD, so it appears odd at first but in fact shaves off whole tenths of a second.

I tried playing around with the VCD the other night, too. I tried 15 or 20, and either I couldn't reproduce my method correctly or it is inherently slower...

Aye,
Don't forget, I'm still a noob at this drag stuff. Generally in racing weight is the enemy, the spawn of Satan.

Also, the high-heels and fishnets are taking a little getting used to, too! :D

Neil

Back