◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,417 comments
Good racing with you guys for a bit. My bed was calling me already! See y'all Sunday!

You too Saga.

Sorry about wrecking you on Cape Ring. I had a good run on you and Badger and thought you were going wide into the left turn. You didn't and had position, I shouldn't have been there.

kcheeb
Sorry about wrecking you on Cape Ring. I had a good run on you and Badger and thought you were going wide into the left turn. You didn't and had position, I shouldn't have been there.

That was partially my fault too. I started the while thing by botching the right hander so you got bunched up behind me.

kcheeb
You too Saga.

It's all good kcheeb. It's racing! I know it wasn't intentional! I need some more seat time with the g27 :-0

It was great racing with you guys last night. Intermediate? There are some great drivers in this league. And everyone drove clean for the most part, which is a nice change from the rooms I've been in. Glad to have been able to join your series. I look forward to Sundays race. I'll be bringing my A game, so maybe I'll be able to hold onto a podium spot this time.

That was partially my fault too. I started the while thing by botching the right hander so you got bunched up behind me.

Ahhh, it was you all along ...

:)

So what did everyone think about the change in tires?

I thought it worked out well. Just enough change to make it interesting, but not impossible to control.

Biggest change for me was the braking point for the bus stop at Daytona. Waaayyyy earlier than I would have thought.

Anybody got any tips on how to get off the line faster and then get my lap times down? You know, just the basics of racing. :)

I mostly expect to hang near the back of the pack, but there was a couple car/track combos where I could not keep up (tvr on stage 5) and I had no idea why. I have a DFGT, and feel like my steering is mostly smooth, but I am noticing some tire screech which I am working to minimize.

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

Rallywagon
It was great racing with you guys last night. Intermediate? There are some great drivers in this league. And everyone drove clean for the most part, which is a nice change from the rooms I've been in. Glad to have been able to join your series. I look forward to Sundays race. I'll be bringing my A game, so maybe I'll be able to hold onto a podium spot this time.

Yeah division 2 is more intermediate division one is basically really good contending drivers in my opinion, cheeb, diabolic, badger, leadbr, saga, doughboy, spooble and me when I'm not playing around can be really good at times. In my opinion along with zero this will consistently be division one.

Anybody got any tips on how to get off the line faster and then get my lap times down? You know, just the basics of racing. :)

I mostly expect to hang near the back of the pack, but there was a couple car/track combos where I could not keep up (tvr on stage 5) and I had no idea why. I have a DFGT, and feel like my steering is mostly smooth, but I am noticing some tire screech which I am working to minimize.

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

It's hard to know what you need to improve without seeing you race, but one of the common mistakes that newer drivers make is carrying too much speed into the turns. You come in hot, and have to brake in the middle of the turn to keep from sliding off the track. This ruins your line and you end up coming out of the corner like a snail. (see what I did there?) Brake hard in a straight line, turn in to hit the apex, and get on the gas as soon as possible to come out of the corner fast. This is especially important on corners before long straights.

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

I try to hang at the back as well, nice to know I'm not the only one :)

As for getting off the line better....I reckon it's all down to hitting the sweet rev spot of the car when the count hits 0. For last nights cars, around 5k or so seemed to work for me. Well, not the Camaro, I had absolutely no idea how to get that off the line decent other than waiting until the person behind gave me a shot :lol:

And, like spooble said, it's pretty much down to corner entry. Anyone can be a demon on the brakes, but chances are they won't make the apex. Also, and I'm bad at this, but you shouldn't get fully back on the throttle in a turn unless you know you won't have to lift off again (Sir Jackie Stewart told James May that in a Top Gear episode once and it stuck with me, lol)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. I've been working on not carrying too much speed into the corners, but some habits are hard to break (see what I did there?). ;)

Most of my "competitive" driving has been 2 player split screen, which doesn't have tire wear/fuel consumption/etc. I can practice with those options in my community lobby, right? Or do I need to start up an open room online?

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

Launch man, its all in the foot Esotic. My technique is to rev it up to redline and hold, once you start modulate the throttle, some tire spin is fine, just a touch, no red tires. and just smoothly climb onto the throttle until your WOT. As for putting down good laps, man, Im still learning that. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Especially when it comes to following the right line. The thing Im still working on is, as spooble noted, is braking to late. Which in turn, makes me brake to early in subsequent corners, brake checking people. I am getting better though on a clean line, but I brake later then a lot of people and have tendency to be a little pushy when Im in the middle of the pack. But this is my first league, so I'm hoping A improve fast and get into that Division 1

It's interesting you guys talking about braking, because I was going to ask what brake balance levels everyone is using, 'cause I seem to brake a lot earlier than most. I typically use 6 - front - 5 rear.

In most cases after braking and turn in, I'm back on the throttle looking for the furthest point out on the exit of the corner I can hit (helps keep the car as straight as possible and use the tires grip for acceleration instead of cornering). In some cases I'm back on the throttle before the apex.

It depends entirely on what the car does on 5/5 balance for me....I prefer a smooth driving style so I don't like a ton of oversteer and try to adjust the brakes accordingly to limit that.

It depends entirely on what the car does on 5/5 balance for me....I prefer a smooth driving style so I don't like a ton of oversteer and try to adjust the brakes accordingly to limit that.

That's a good point, my default lately has been to set the car to 6/5.

It seems a little more forgiving with respect to being able to brake and not lose the back end with the slightest turn of the wheel.

Sounds like a great group, are you looking for new members?

PNS: maxximilllion

Yes, we're looking for new members. I've just sent you a friend request. Please read through the original post and proceed to Step 2 at the bottom of it. Let us know if you have any questions at all. One of us snails will get back to you with an answer asap. 👍

When I tune a car, for 1 abs, I generally run 7-6 for rwd, 6-6 awd and 6-7 fwd. No abs, the its generally down around 3-1, depending on the car of course. Maybe thats why I felt like I wasnt stopping fast enough. I was braking at the same point as others, but it just seemed they stopped faster. I wasnt aware we could play with those setting though.

When I tune a car, for 1 abs, I generally run 7-6 for rwd, 6-6 awd and 6-7 fwd. No abs, the its generally down around 3-1, depending on the car of course. Maybe thats why I felt like I wasnt stopping fast enough. I was braking at the same point as others, but it just seemed they stopped faster. I wasnt aware we could play with those setting though.

It's one of the few 'set up' settings that can't be regulated.

I had tried some lower settings and while stability under braking was improved, stopping distance was greatly increased.

It's one of the few 'set up' settings that can't be regulated.

I really wish it could be regulated! What's the point of creating a 'tuning-prohibited' option if it still allows the brake bias to be tuned? That's an oversight by PD in my opinion, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Oh well..

I really wish it could be regulated! What's the point of creating a 'tuning-prohibited' option if it still allows the brake bias to be tuned? That's an oversight by PD in my opinion, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Oh well..

I hear you, but as far as affecting the car goes it's one of the more minor ones.

It is weird though, given most cars are not capable of altering brake bias out of the box.

diabolic, I won't be able to make Diabolic Friday tonight (taking the wife out to celebrate an anniversary). However, I'll can keep an eye out on the thread in case you post a line-up like you did last time. If you do, I'll update the Diabolic Friday link in the original post so that everyone can find it easier. 👍

diabolic, I won't be able to make Diabolic Friday tonight (taking the wife out to celebrate an anniversary). However, I'll can keep an eye out on the thread in case you post a line-up like you did last time. If you do, I'll update the Diabolic Friday link in the original post so that everyone can find it easier. 👍

Happy Anniversary zer05ive, have a great night.

I almost forgot to say, I'm not available this Sunday for the race.

Going to see Deep Purple rock out in their wheelchairs :)

So is everyone maintaining a constant throttle through the corners, or is anyone pushing in the clutch to eliminate possible "throttle off" types of grip reduction?

Latest Posts

Back