◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 149,279 comments
Because PolyPhony.
Jack Black Yes GIF
Yeah, that's actually valid.

I have not experienced that, and was :confused: when I saw the post. It is, however, super easy to test. As of what I know, GT7 is all fixed host as opposed to previous titles where public lobbies were not, and could transfer to the next player when closed. That has not been the case with GT7, ever, to my knowledge. It is also the reason why host connection quality and geographic proximity to other players is more important on GT7 than it was previously.

So, if anyone has 30 seconds and wants to do a definitive test, hit me up.

I have not experienced that, and was :confused: when I saw the post. It is, however, super easy to test. As of what I know, GT7 is all fixed host as opposed to previous titles where public lobbies were not, and could transfer to the next player when closed. That has not been the case with GT7, ever, to my knowledge. It is also the reason why host connection quality and geographic proximity to other players is more important on GT7 than it was previously.

Wait, unless I'm ill-informed on what we're talking about here... A few weeks ago our host dropped out and I was given host capacities while we waited for them to return. This was when @Dragonwhisky 's internet went kaput all of a sudden. The 'crown' symbol was passed to me, which I then passed on to someone else. In short, when Dragon dropped out, the lobby didn't end.

That's what we're talking about. Your report is one of three on here, which is why I'm curious to test. Last night, public lobbies were still closing when the host left. I'm curious if there is something else going on in the background that is causing the inconsistencies. Such as if the host and next player are friends, or different NAT types or connection quality, or what.

Room Host migration is a thing in public lobbies since when?

In the main GT7 page people were saying it changes the host to the next in line of the current one quits or disconnects.
I haven’t seen that happen yet in GT7.
@Dragonwhisky have you?

Has happened to me about a month ago on a SNAIL night.

Was confirmed back here;
and

Think @A_Higher_Place messaged me and said he was promoted to host when my internet service died that night, right at race start time, but I can't find where he did.

This thread;
Indicates the host migration thing has been a thing for all of GTS and GT7. Pretty sure non-fixed host, and fixed host were a thing back in GT5&6 days and 6 had the club feature where both options were available as well. @JLBowler may remember better and be able to confirm or refute my memory of that time.

It doesn't really matter in this context but it does raise the possibility of using this "feature" of friends only lobbies, if they are in fact the same as fixed host, to combat the lag issue. Would require some testing during the week, @turtlesoup868 and @TexHill , might want to coordinate something for later this week and try to get as many SNAILs as can join in there and see how it looks. Question for D2 folks, how were cars behaving last night? I noticed more teleporting out of both turtlesoup and Oshawa than I've noticed in the past. It may well be that my less than stellar connection, being more centrally located between all concerned parties is better, and may serve as a friends only room. Would require everyone in D2 not already on my friends list to send me an invite. Or, whomever wants to step up and work it.

If any of you are interested in seeing the less than perfect connections to Tex, go watch his replays. Folks that I had poor connections to will show up on my replays. Folks that you had bad connections to will show up on your replays, if you saved them.

@Marcus Garvey when would you like to do some testing of this "functionality"?

Was confirmed back here;
and

Think @A_Higher_Place messaged me and said he was promoted to host when my internet service died that night, right at race start time, but I can't find where he did.

This thread;
Indicates the host migration thing has been a thing for all of GTS and GT7. Pretty sure non-fixed host, and fixed host were a thing back in GT5&6 days and 6 had the club feature where both options were available as well. @JLBowler may remember better and be able to confirm or refute my memory of that time.

It doesn't really matter in this context but it does raise the possibility of using this "feature" of friends only lobbies, if they are in fact the same as fixed host, to combat the lag issue. Would require some testing during the week, @turtlesoup868 and @TexHill , might want to coordinate something for later this week and try to get as many SNAILs as can join in there and see how it looks. Question for D2 folks, how were cars behaving last night? I noticed more teleporting out of both turtlesoup and Oshawa than I've noticed in the past. It may well be that my less than stellar connection, being more centrally located between all concerned parties is better, and may serve as a friends only room. Would require everyone in D2 not already on my friends list to send me an invite. Or, whomever wants to step up and work it.

If any of you are interested in seeing the less than perfect connections to Tex, go watch his replays. Folks that I had poor connections to will show up on my replays. Folks that you had bad connections to will show up on your replays, if you saved them.

@Marcus Garvey when would you like to do some testing of this "functionality"?
This was from 10/2022. Something must have changed.
Drat. I'll work on Score sheet access again. I don't have a problem with the data sheets.

The room closed when Skills was disconnected.

D2 data entered.

Don't know how hosting got passed. Tex, Marcus and I couldn't replicate.
Even if you could 'pass along' the host (which you can because I did it the night you dropped out), that wouldn't explain why it automatically passed onto me from you that evening.

Did you set up a lobby the same as any other time? Did you try other lobby set ups?

Even if you could 'pass along' the host (which you can because I did it the night you dropped out), that wouldn't explain why it automatically passed onto me from you that evening.

Did you set up a lobby the same as any other time? Did you try other lobby set ups?
Set up the same as every lobby I've ever set up for SNAIL. Tried with friends only, open lobby, prior to race start, after race start and during the countdown to race start. Don't know how you got set as host after I dropped that night.

Here are the unofficial results from our league night on July 14, 2024

Click here for this season's points standings and click a tab at the bottom for more detail.

Click here if the data linked above has already been archived and you would like to view it.

Division 1
  1. Nic-KL ------------ voted to eliminate Round 2 - 85
  2. Rasta_Senpai ------ voted to eliminate Round 2 - 80
  3. smoove_cuda ------- voted to eliminate Round 2 - 77 Prize A
  4. Kgffty ------------ voted to eliminate Round 3 - 77 Prize C
  5. Kakalaylay -------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  6. DRD_Niagara ------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  7. guitarmankhan ----- voted to eliminate Round 2
  8. basswerks1 -------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  9. A_Mindful_Place --- voted to eliminate Round 2
  10. RacingChamp30 ----- voted to eliminate Round 1
  11. yuhboiari --------- voted to eliminate Round 2
Division 2
  1. Oshawa-Joe -------- voted to eliminate Round 3
  2. Dragonwhisky ------ voted to eliminate Round 2 - Prize B
  3. DRGNWGN ----------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  4. Tex_Hill ---------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  5. beck7_868 --------- did not submit a vote
  6. es_danny868 ------- voted to eliminate Round 2
  7. Skills_19657 ------ did not submit a vote
  8. Flyingdisc315 ----- did not submit a vote
The round that received the most elimination votes was:
Round 2 - Toyota 86 Gr.B Rally Car (RH) at Nurburgring Sprint - S01 Afternoon (10 laps)
Therefore the entire combo has been dropped from next week's line-up. Since @Smoove_cuda wins Prize A, he gets to choose an entirely new car and track combo to replace it.

The round that received the second most elimination votes was:
Round 3 - Volkswagen GTI Roadster VGT (RH) at Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta - S13 Late Morning (11 laps)
This means either the car or the track will be replaced for next week's line-up. Since @Dragonwhisky gets Prize B, he has the option to freeze the car or the track, or he can give that option to the Prize C winner. If he gives the freeze away, then he gets to decide what car or track replaces the part of the combo that is left unfrozen by the Prize C winner.

Prize C goes to @Kgffy so he gets whichever option the Prize B winner does not select.

Preliminary prize winners, please don't announce your prize selection until all incident reports have been filed and it has been confirmed that you don't have any penalties. It's also recommended that you review the SNAIL combo history and other data on our car and track history so that you can get an idea how many times we've raced each car and track. Please remember that originality is always appreciated, so picking cars and/or tracks that we've never raced is a plus (but not required). What's more important is that you thoroughly test any combo that you are considering before making it your official selection. For example, any car you select must not hit its rev limiter at any point during a race (even in a draft).

IMPORTANT: When posting your Prize A or Prize B selection, please list the complete in-game name of the car and/or track you are selecting. For example, if you want to choose the Integra Type R as your car selection, post "Honda Integra Type R (DC2) '98". If you want to select Monza for your track, post "Autodromo Nazionale Monza". Being specific helps us to update the lineup accurately and also helps avoid any confusion among the drivers. Also, please be sure to list the HP and Weight (LBS) of any car you select. For track selections, include the time of day (e.g: 09:00 Clear) or else it will be left to default.

Car Selection Guidelines
See Section 3 of the SNAIL OLR, Policies and Guidelines.

Track Selection Guidelines
See Section 3.1 of the SNAIL OLR, Policies and Guidelines

Set up the same as every lobby I've ever set up for SNAIL. Tried with friends only, open lobby, prior to race start, after race start and during the countdown to race start. Don't know how you got set as host after I dropped that night.
Did you try and "leave the lobby" by pulling the cable on your internet thus simulating a loss of connection and not just someone leaving the room but staying connected to the server? I know it's a long shot but maybe the game can tell the difference between a voluntary quit and a loss of connection.

Did you try and "leave the lobby" by pulling the cable on your internet thus simulating a loss of connection and not just someone leaving the room but staying connected to the server? I know it's a long shot but maybe the game can tell the difference between a voluntary quit and a loss of connection.
Yes. Twice.

I'm curious if race format (practice/racre, practice/endurance, etc) has any impact. That shouldn't be a factor in the Snail room migrating as reported, but I don't know what might have an effect. Not sure if different regions/versions of the game handle this differently. Can play with it some more.

Niagara's Weekly What I Saw Column:
20240714 Edition

It's fantastic to see the Grid grow. I saw 11 drivers racing in D1 and another 8 in D2 this past Sunday. The driver roster is the biggest since I joined (Jan 2024). Considering the busy summer season, things looking good.

I might softly add that in my opinion, the racing has been a little more "elbows out" in July, but with several new faces, maybe this is expected until folks attapt to the "Snail Way".

I didn't see the comical, mostly self-inflicted carnage that I saw last week. Those are things I like to highlight in this space. But if you look hard enough, there's always some things to share.

The Toyota 86 continues to be a treat to drive. I saw these fans up on the hill enjoy what they were looking at.
SHARE_20240716_0452210.jpeg

I saw the beautiful California scenery.
SHARE_20240716_0452231.jpeg

I saw a great lenghty battle between @guitarmankhan , @A_Higher_Place , @Smoove_cuda and @Salty Toloom .
SHARE_20240716_0452242.jpeg

Combo 2 was one of the most complicated I've raced in since I've been a Snail.
SHARE_20240716_0452540.jpeg

I saw congested traffic at the chicane near the end of the lap. This little flexible post marking its exist took lots of abuse by all drivers and will need to be replaced.
SHARE_20240716_0452253.jpeg

I believe this is @Smoove_cuda taking issue with the placement of these cones.
SHARE_20240716_0452561.jpeg

My stomach began growling later in the night. Perhaps @A_Higher_Place 's livery had something to do with that.
SHARE_20240716_0452572.jpeg

I had a great battle with @basswerks1 that lasted 7 or 8 laps. We exchanged positions once or twice but for the most part, he lead me by 1 second all the while I saw @Nicktune , red car, closing the gap behind me and eventually overtaking me. On the final few turns of the race, @Nicktune passed @basswerks1 briefly before @basswerks1 regained his position to finish 3rd. Holding off @Nicktune is not an easy feat.
SHARE_20240716_0452593.jpeg

Finally, I end this by sharing with the group that @guitarmankhan and I had an odd incident in the last race that I've never seen before. I had a decent run on him in the last turn at the end of lap 2, I think. I passed him cleanly and kept going but noticed he went wide and off the track.

My replay shows no contact occured and that plenty of room was left for him.
But his reply shows that there was contact that forced him off the track.

We have two versions of the truth. @racingchamp30 was on replay upload duty (and everything else duty for that matter) and his replay corroborates my version of the events. But this can pose an issue for a stewart assigned to review the incident.

Not sure if this is a PD issue, a connection issue or if anybody has seen something similar before.

Thanks, see you at the Car-Show.

Last edited:
Great run down Buffalo! I don't have your gift for story telling, so I'll just let the D2 photos speak for themselves.

Attachments

• IMG_7088.jpeg
    IMG_7088.jpeg
    138.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7087.jpeg
    IMG_7087.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7089.jpeg
    IMG_7089.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7091.jpeg
    IMG_7091.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7086.jpeg
    IMG_7086.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7095.jpeg
    IMG_7095.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7096.jpeg
    IMG_7096.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1
Niagara's Weekly What I Saw Column:
20240714 Edition

It's fantastic to see the Grid grow. I saw 11 drivers racing in D1 and another 8 in D2 this past Sunday. The driver roster is the biggest since I joined (Jan 2024). Considering the busy summer season, things looking good.

I might softly add that in my opinion, the racing has been a little more "elbows out" in July, but with several new faces, maybe this is expected until folks attapt to the "Snail Way".

I didn't see the comical, mostly self-inflicted carnage that I saw last week. Those are things I like to highlight in this space. But if you look hard enough, there's always some things to share.

The Toyota 86 continues to be a treat to drive. I saw these fans up on the hill enjoy what they were looking at.
View attachment 1373013

I saw the beautiful California scenery.
View attachment 1373014

I saw a great lenghty battle between @guitarmankhan , @A_Higher_Place , @Smoove_cuda and @Salty Toloom .
View attachment 1373016

Combo 2 was one of the most complicated I've raced in since I've been a Snail.
View attachment 1373018

I saw congested traffic at the chicane near the end of the lap. This little flexible post marking its exist took lots of abuse by all drivers and will need to be replaced.
View attachment 1373033

I believe this is @Smoove_cuda taking issue with the placement of these cones.
View attachment 1373022

My stomach began growling later in the night. Perhaps @A_Higher_Place 's livery had something to do with that.
View attachment 1373023

I had a great battle with @basswerks1 that lasted 7 or 8 laps. We exchanged positions once or twice but for the most part, he lead me by 1 second all the while I saw @Nicktune , red car, closing the gap behind me and eventually overtaking me. On the final few turns of the race, @Nicktune passed @basswerks1 briefly before @basswerks1 regained his position to finish 3rd. Holding off @Nicktune is not an easy feat.
View attachment 1373024

Finally, I end this by sharing with the group that @guitarmankhan and I had an odd incident in the last race that I've never seen before. I had a decent run on him in the last turn at the end of lap 2, I think. I passed him cleanly and kept going but noticed he went wide and off the track.

My replay shows no contact occured and that plenty of room was left for him.
But his reply shows that there was contact that forced him off the track.

We have two versions of the truth. @racingchamp30 was on replay upload duty (and everything else duty for that matter) and his replay corroborates my version of the events. But this can pose an issue for a stewart assigned to review the incident.

Not sure if this is a PD issue, a connection issue or if anybody has seen something similar before.

Thanks, see you at the Car-Show.
great pics, I enjoyed that battle !

As a reminder/refresher to all;

13: Track Boundaries:

A: Using walls or fences to gain an advantage is not allowed. Contacting cones, brake markers or any other movable obstacle that is outside the track surface is forbidden, whether time is gained or not and whether you have two tires on the track surface or not.

B: Two wheels (except when airborne, where the vertical projection of the car onto the track counts) must be in contact with the track surface which is defined in the SNAIL track boundaries guidelines. Simply going outside of the track boundaries is not cause for a penalty by itself. There must be an advantage gained, either distance or speed, over the line that would have needed to been taken to stay inside the track boundaries.

C: A full explanation of track boundaries can be found in the SNAIL track boundaries section.

Nurburgring GP - At the right hand portion of the final chicane, no tires are allowed on the green area beyond the rumble strips. This coincides with the pylon that is placed and is not meant to be struck.
Not that we'll be racing there next week.

Prize B - Freeze the Car. @Kgffy pick us a track to run that VW on before the big physics update, if you please.

edit: My review of the 1 incident on file is complete.

Last edited:
Back