1.20 Update was a complete missed opportunity

• Thread starter CCCC
  • 145 comments
It seems to me that all the cars that we received in the updates now were already created for GTSport but they postponed them for GT7.
So, either they don't do anything now because it was already created in advance long time ago, they just release them slowly and gradually, or there are only a few people working on it and that's why there is so little new content.
I'm convinced that the cars/tracks we're receiving in these updates have [mostly] been intentionally withheld at launch, simply because by doing so PD has manufactured the ability to claim ongoing/regular updates with "new content". Same goes for the lack of events in single player...

We've seen how quickly they can add extra events as witnessed in one of the first updates as a response to all the backlash they were receiving. There's no reasonable excuse for this. In essence they're drip-feeding us content that should have been available from day 1. It's disingenuous and disrespectful to all the fans.

So sure, the game might finally be a fully-fledged Gran Turismo title in 2 or more years from now, but as it stands we've all been given half a game.

Last edited:
What's sad for me is that we're six months after the release and the game still feels like it's in early access.
Graphics in some parts feel rushed and outdated/unfinished, like it's not even game made mainly for PS5.
The base for a good driving feeling is definitely there, but there is nothing around it, the career doesn't exist and it feels empty, like without any idea, a weird "car sandbox" that's about as fun as using a virtual calculator.
I don't have that pleasant feeling of enthusiasm for beautiful cars that I used to have in the previous GT games, there is nothing more to discover, nothing unlocks anymore, after the Café menu it's simply game over...
The previous games had events, for example, own events dedicated to Senna, which brought more fresh life back to the game but there is nothing, while the history of cars and racing is so diverse and interesting, so many drivers and racing eras that haven't been used in any games yet... Absolutely wasted potential, it is so sad to me...

Last edited:
Hot take: there's not much need for Special Stage Route 5/7/11 with Tokyo Expressway being a thing. Especially if the latter gets wet weather conditions for the south variant, as well as North and West circuits.
Not the hot take you think it is, Expressway simply isn't a strong replacement for those circuits at all, hell Tokyo Expressway doesn't even make good use of the actual Tokyo Expressway (as the existence of the SRP mod for AC demonstrates, so many wasted layout opportunities, not to mention actual landmarks in the area).

It seems to me that all the cars that we received in the updates now were already created for GTSport but they postponed them for GT7.
So, either they don't do anything now because it was already created in advance long time ago, they just release them slowly and gradually, or there are only a few people working on it and that's why there is so little new content.
Right, but for me, and i guess many others, the number of cars are no problem. New tracks are nice and great, but also not the main Problem. you will be right, that those are already made.

But all it really needs are a few brains who sit down now and create what is really needed. A few bugfixes and a ton of events with the right amount of payouts.

What's sad for me is that we're six months after the release and the game still feels like it's in early access.
The basis for a good driving feeling is definitely there, but there is nothing around it, the career doesn't exist and it feels empty, like without any idea, a weird "car sandbox" that's about as fun as using a virtual calculator.
I don't have that pleasant feeling of enthusiasm for beautiful cars that I used to have in the previous GT games, there is nothing more to discover, nothing unlocks anymore, after the Café menu it's simply game over...
The previous games had events, for example, own events dedicated to Senna, which brought more fresh life back to the game but there is nothing, while the history of cars and racing is so diverse and interesting, so many drivers and racing eras that haven't been used in any games yet... Absolutely wasted potential, it is so sad to me...
While I also regret the lack of a good career mode and the lack of races with a good payout, it's definitely not game over after the menus.
I like the licences, missions and circuit experience, which combined keep you busy much longer than the menus which you can do in a few weeks.
And after that you have the online content, the time trial is fun and the daily races often enjoyable.

Finally, the best driving model they've ever created so far, but they just don't want to make it their best game.

I just don't get it.

And after that you have the online content, the time trial is fun and the daily races often enjoyable.
Yeah let's talk about the online aspect of the game.

Let's get the first one out of the way.
User created lobbies: It's a mess. You have to scroll through an endless list of lobbies with only 1 or 2 players in it (you're lucky if you find one with 4-6 players). My first reaction is...are you kidding me? Then I see that most of those "lobbies" are only free practice/slow riding. My second reaction is...hell naw. Once or twice I had the guts to connect to those "lobbies" and it was the most boring thing I've ever seen in videogame. A waste of a feature. It is only enjoyable for some who have a group of friends who are always online and like to set races how they want. Personally I don't even see the fun in it, since you won't be matched with people from all around the world (I repeat, the lobbies are always empty....this is a sign that people don't waste their time connecting)

Time trial: Samus already answered above.

Daily races: more like weekly races. Always the same. For an entire week. They don't change. No track rotation. And you're stuck with the same selection of cars. You miss the race? You have to wait 15-20 minutes (!!!) for the next one. And there are only 3 types of races. Since GT Sport.
  • Race A: slow cars with BoP, or very rarely with tuning allowed, on boring tracks, mostly made by PD. I hate it. Last week was the lawn mower RX8. Could't even finish one lap of qualifying. Hard pass.
  • Race B: Gr.3 or Gr.4. The only "enjoyable" race for me...to do once every few hours, because I don't see the fun and point in repeating the SAME race over and over again for a full week. People always choose the same fastest 1 or 2 cars, as the leaderboards suggest. Some are courageous and go for a third choice.... Pure madness!
  • Race C: personally I can't judge because I never tried it. Too many laps for me.

I'm curious: have you ever played Forza Motorsport online? If you put aside the carnage (penalties were added a couple of year ago though), it is quite fun. Everything is organized by car classes. Endless hours of fun. Personally I enjoy A and S car class lobbies. You enter the lobby and you find something between 10 and 16 players in it, either racing a 3-5 lap race or patiently waiting for the next one, on the next track, to start -> TRACK ROTATION. And while you wait, you can change car and setup (huge choice of competitive and fun cars to drive). And even talk to other players. Public voice chat is a thing. You don't like someone? You can mute him.

And when penalties and ghosted lapped cars were still not in place, we had marshals connecting to the lobby and checking for idiots. It was a pleasure to see them kick the idiots out. And we could also record the race, share it on our own cloud online, send the details of the replay and gamertag of the crasher to T10, they would review it and finally ban the player from the game.

Turn 10, on one hand, has
  • a fun matchmaking system that allows you to use all cars in the game, all tracks in the game, on continuous rotation
  • penalties-marshals-replay and email support.
THAT is how it should be done.

PD, on the other hand, has
  • a very limited matchmaking (Sport mode) with a very limited number of races on a very limited number of tracks, with a very limited choice of cars (and tuning setups allowed 0,0001% of the time in Race A. It's basically all BoP)
  • crap penalties never fixed. With every update they just get worse. They were way better in GT Sport (at least, at some point in time, you could improve your rating in-race and it was shown with up arrows in the HUD)
  • no contact whatsoever with the players
  • even removed the "report" button in the lobbies.
So what the hell....

Last edited:
With this update they have definitely changed the physics and I like it more now.
Physics improvement = game changer. Now you can try the cars you already tried and didnt find good to drive, to get a whole new experience

With this update they have definitely changed the physics and I like it more now.
Physics improvement = game changer. Now you can try the cars you already tried and didnt find good to drive, to get a whole new experience
The driving is excellent, nobody here is denying that. I take issue with features that the game is lacking, especially the dire boredom of post-Book39-grinding.

If I could make the equivalent of 825,000 Credits in half an hour on Mount Panorama, the Nordschleife, Barcelona (no chicane), Trial Mountain, Fisherman's Ranch, Watkins Glen, Deep Forest, Yamagiwa, Laguna Seca etc, that would be a new enough experience for me to be excited to play, and that's only a tiny first step! There's been several missed opportunities to begin adding more substantial GT mode races.

The driving is excellent, nobody here is denying that. I take issue with features that the game is lacking, especially the dire boredom of post-Book39-grinding.

If I could make the equivalent of 825,000 Credits in half an hour on Mount Panorama, the Nordschleife, Barcelona (no chicane), Trial Mountain, Fisherman's Ranch, Watkins Glen, Deep Forest, Yamagiwa, Laguna Seca etc, that would be a new enough experience for me to be excited to play, and that's only a tiny first step! There's been several missed opportunities to begin adding more substantial GT mode races.
The classic complaint "not enough money"
Have you guys bought all the cheap cars? I mean, you have lots and lots of those that you can buy very easily.

Have you guys bought all the cheap cars? I mean, you have lots and lots of those that you can buy very easily.
I dont really mind the economy now. But just give us fun races like neoclassics, hypercar parade ane gr.1 races.

The classic defence, "Well, uh, you don't have to buy those cars".

If you're acknowledging that the expensive cars are out of reach and people should just buy the cheap ones, do you not realise how close that sounds to real life? "Don't buy the expensive food, you can buy the cheap pasta and rice very easily".

Do you not realise how that really shouldn't be the case in a video game, made for fun and entertainment, not to simulate real life where I also can't afford expensive cars?

The classic defence, "Well, uh, you don't have to buy those cars".

If you're acknowledging that the expensive cars are out of reach and people should just buy the cheap ones, do you not realise how close that sounds to real life? "Don't buy the expensive food, you can buy the cheap pasta and rice very easily".

Do you not realise how that really shouldn't be the case in a video game, made for fun and entertainment, not to simulate real life where I also can't afford expensive cars?
I dont know how many videogames you play but almost every videogame works like this... best prizes/tools/items/weapons/whatever in videogames are the hardest to get and you need to play a lot to get them.
They're not out of reach, but much harder to reach, than cheap ones.

"I want everything and want it now" attitude is a disease of nowadays.

Last edited:
Ah yes, there goes the "argument".

It's not up to you to decide how other players should enjoy a game.
Forza Motorsport says hi.

I dont know how many videogames you play but almost every videogame works like this... best prizes/tools/items/weapons/whatever in videogames are the hardest to get and you need to play a lot to get them.
They're not out of reach, but much harder to reach, than cheap ones
Yes, and you get the best stuff by the end of the game. You don't have to repeat the same levels over and over at the end of it because you've run out of new levels and have nowhere near enough.

You're straight up telling people who have finished all the content in Gran Turismo 7 to still just buy the cheaper cars because they still can't afford all the expensive ones.

Where are people supposed to get the required 450 million credits? Completing everything once in GT7 barely gets you a third of that.
Oh God GIF by DuroflexWorld

Nobody said they want everything instantly. We've been over this countless times.

They want everything sooner than up to 5,000 hours, which is how long it could take depending on what you do in the game (Just play online races). Even grinding nothing but the best paying event over and over again will still take 300 hours. Even that though, more people would tolerate if they could alternate between 20 races earning that, not 3.

This is a game, not real life. It's not supposed to be a chore.

Last edited:
Ah yes, there goes the "argument".

It's not up to you to decide how other players should enjoy a game.
Forza Motorsport says hi.
Its up to the game industry that decide how the games work. Most of them do that... Make you work and play a lot to get the best rewards.
Yes, and you get the best stuff by the end of the game. You don't have to repeat the same levels over and over at the end of it because you've run out of new levels and have nowhere near enough.

You're straight up telling people who have finished all the content in Gran Turismo 7 to still just buy the cheaper cars because they still can't afford all the expensive ones.

Oh God GIF by DuroflexWorld

Nobody said they want everything instantly. We've been over this countless times.

They want everything sooner than up to 5,000 hours, which is how long it could take depending on what you do in the game (Just play online races). Even grinding nothing but the best paying event over and over again will still take 300 hours. Even that though, more people would tolerate if they could alternate between 20 races earning that, not 3.
GT7 isn't finished though. You have to wait for all the updates to see it finished.
Anyway, I see some of you don't enjoy actually playing the game, but only getting rewards. I enjoy doing online races, no matter the reward. Would you enjoy playing if you already had all cars in the game? I mean, maybe not, since your focus seems only to get cars and not enjoy the races.

GT7 isn't finished though. You have to wait for all the updates to see it finished.
Why do we? When they promoted GT7, did they say it's not finished? DLC/Updates are supposed to be extras on top, not finishing the game.
Anyway, I see some of you don't enjoy actually playing the game, but only getting rewards. I enjoy doing online races, no matter the reward. Would you enjoy playing if you already had all cars in the game? I mean, maybe not, since your focus seems only to get cars and not enjoy the races.
I want you to think really hard for what the issue is in what you've said here. I'll give you a hint, you use cars in races....

Why do we? When they promoted GT7, did they say it's not finished? DLC/Updates are supposed to be extras on top, not finishing the game.

I want you to think really hard for what the issue is in what you've said here. I'll give you a hint, you use cars in races....
It is obvious updates are not extras, but part of the game. Like it or not that's how it is.
I'll give you a hint: You need only a small portion of all the cars in the game, not all the 400+ to do race (online or offline) that's how it works since GT1.

In GT Sport i got all cars just two months before GT7 release. I simply played and enjoyed the game and little by little I was making money and spending it on the most expensive ones.
I'm 38 years old and I played on all platforms. I never had to do these absurd chores in my entire life.
It's obvious you haven't played many of those RPGs that you need to play a hell of a lot to get the best stuff.

They're not out of reach, but much harder to reach, than cheap ones.

This has been explained to you before, it really should not need doing so again.

Last edited:
It's obvious you haven't played many of those RPGs that you need to play a hell of a lot to get the best stuff.
And I don't intend to. GT7 is a driving game. Not an RPG. And it doesn't even have a career mode.
Old titles used to be fun. Now it's not.

Of course you're gonna say it is. But let me reminds you

1) GT7 has a rating of 2.1/10. 10660 voters expressed their opinion. Let me guess, you're gonna use the fake argument "it was review-bombed":

2) How many players are still playing this game compared to launch (only 6 months ago)?.....

P.S. This is not a debate and I'm not willing to continue reading since you don't have strong arguments. Actually you have no arguments at all.

Last edited:
The GT7 is a perfect example of mismanagement. All academy should teach about GT7, about what not to do to be successful.

The game is a huge management mess, from choosing cars to distributing activities in single player mode.

The GT7 has something curious. With each month-end update, instead of proposing me more interest in the game, it leaves me more and more frustrated.

Unbelievable.

The negative effect of GT7 needs to be studied.

Last edited:
I'll give you a hint: You need only a small portion of all the cars in the game, not all the 400+ to do race (online or offline) that's how it works since GT1.
So no, you didn't get it.

People want to acquire all of the different cars so that they can have fun driving them in races. That is rather the point of a game with 400+ cars, to try them all out and get different experiences. Otherwise you might as well have only 20.

But no, according to you everyone should just make use of the few cars they've got and just drive those over and over, they'll never get to drive the cars they really desire.

This is of course all ignoring the huge elephant in the room that PD will allow you to get all the best stuff instantly, without "making you work", by just handing them more money. Someone could get all 420 cars in GT7 without even driving a single race, if they're well off.

Again, the fact you can't see how synonymous this is to real life and you think it's cool for a game to be the same struggle if you're not rich is funny.

Nono, it's a perfect update.
Having one event at Mount Panorama makes all kinds of sense when the game only features 400+ cars 4 racing groups and plenty of possibilities to MIX cars with different PP ratings..

/S

Mind that Kyoto has three layouts and until recently only one event (added a Vision GT and Hypercar events recently), the 4WD challenge.
Interlagos is another amazing track, only had one event until the Vision GT was added, still has only two.
Monza has one also.
High Speed Ring has 4 and a dedicated championship...

So no, you didn't get it.

People want to acquire all of the different cars so that they can have fun driving them in races. That is rather the point of a game with 400+ cars, to try them all out and get different experiences. Otherwise you might as well have only 20.

But no, according to you everyone should just make use of the few cars they've got and just drive those over and over, they'll never get to drive the cars they really desire.

This is of course all ignoring the huge elephant in the room that PD will allow you to get all the best stuff instantly, without "making you work", by just handing them more money. Someone could get all 420 cars in GT7 without even driving a single race, if they're well off.

Again, the fact you can't see how synonymous this is to real life and you think it's cool for a game to be the same struggle if you're not rich is funny.
For a Ferrari P4/5 at 9 million credits, it will cost £67.5 GBP in real money in the PS store if you want it right away.

Or 10 hours griding and WINNING in the highest paying races - that's half your entire day gone...

Last edited:
Back