12 Things to make you faster.

• Thread starter Oshawa-Joe
  • 90 comments
Licenses, racing without aids, and try to anticipate corners.
And try to drive a variety of cars. Don't just go straight into a powerful RWD car if you can't even handle a small 4WD car. Learn to know what your opponents are driving, and their advantages and disadvantages.
And on tracks like the Nurburgring and Cape Ring, learn to anticipate corners, and know where to brake depending on what cars you're driving. Switch between tires to get used to all of them. And of course, practice.
Learn about tire wear and engine wear and how they can affect your lap times. And try to keep calm. Sometimes you tend to get anxious about beating your ghost and braked to late around a corner or hit a patch of grass and spin. It can happen.

And finally, don't be scared to push yourself to the limit when driving.

Throttle & break control.
Too many people break too late, or too much and/or accelerate too fast only to start skidding.
Use the whole track, learn the lines which allow you to take a corner at maximum speed.
Learn the Nordschleife. If you can get there quick, there's no corner you won't be able to get.

Last edited:
How To Improve Driver Skill In GT5 ?

This is the question I pose to the best drivers in GT5 – Division 1 Golds, GT Academy finalists, and other alien type drivers that consistently top the TT leaderboards. I’m lucky enough to be able to chase some of these guys around the track every week. That alone I think helps someone learn to go quicker. Assuming people have limited time to spend, what sort of in game activities will contribute the most to developing GT5 driver skills and help someone go faster?

The goal is to get faster without aids. Yes, practice is good, but practice doesn’t make perfect, practice makes permanent. Spending time driving only 1 car will make you very good at driving that 1 car. Driving with skid force on will make you very good at driving with skid force.

So, any advice for the average guys from the aforementioned Division 1 golds, GTA finalists and aliens? I think many people would like to know what helped make you fast. I will update the first post in a week or two with a list of recommendations from established “fast guys”.

Well I didnt finish reading everyone elses posts, but heres an idea. Go online(if possible) and find someone who is better than you(better if its a friend or someone like me who enjoys to help others) and either try to follow them around the track or let them tailgate you and follow you so you push yourself to go harder and faster.

I don't consider myself an alien considering I'm usually a second off the fastest driver's pace, but these are just a few things that I've learned:

- Understand the nuances of the car you're driving.
- Use reference points on the track for entry points, braking, and when to get on the gas. It could be be signs, landmarks, or even a tree.
- Keep your eyes on where you're going, not where you are. This helps with proper steering input.
- In most cases, if you're modulating your brake and throttle input through corners, you're losing time.
- For multiple corners, focus more on keeping a steady line.
- Practice multiple lines through corners not only for maximum speed, but for situations when you may get side-by-side.
- If a corner leads to a long straight, focus on getting the best exit possible.
- Adjust your force feedback. You may gain more time if you add less/more, depending on your driving style.
- Whenever possible, watch those faster than you, and make notes on what they're doing.

I'm not the fastest player in GT5 but I've cracked top 25 a few times. I do not know what Turismo lester or L-shooter think in their heads as they race but I do know this quote from Alexander Ovechkin: "Perfect practice makes perfect game" or something to that effect. Practice however does not make perfect.

AS an aside, the amount of time spent to drive to the top in GT5 will likely lead you to having no life besides gaming and your job (if you work.) Its not worth it, there's very very very likely something out there you could be doing in life besides sitting on the butt playing games.

Gaming does get boring, wouldn't you rather be out doing something with real people that you can see?

Yes on all counts. That is why I am trying to establish the best way of spending limited time on the game. Hours on end of practice will only help if you are doing the right things. I usually only do 5 laps on each TT. After reading some of the suggestions it is obvious I need to spend more time in this.

Thank you everyone for all the great insight to what has helped make you faster.

Would be great to hear from some more of the fast guys like outlaw and mustardaddict. Keep it coming. Thanks

.. typing this out on my phone on the way home. I didn't practice for 2 days. Will need to make the best use of my limited time tonight.

Last edited:
I'm not the fastest player in GT5 but I've cracked top 25 a few times. I do not know what Turismo lester or L-shooter think in their heads as they race but I do know this quote from Alexander Ovechkin: "Perfect practice makes perfect game" or something to that effect. Practice however does not make perfect.

AS an aside, the amount of time spent to drive to the top in GT5 will likely lead you to having no life besides gaming and your job (if you work.) Its not worth it, there's very very very likely something out there you could be doing in life besides sitting on the butt playing games.

Gaming does get boring, wouldn't you rather be out doing something with real people that you can see?
You really don't need to spend too much time, I finished in the top 10 in two consecutive time trials without investing much time and I know in terms of skill level I'm quite a bit of the best. Someone like EDDSKILL is insanely fast without much experience in the game. The main thing a lot of time spent playing on GT5 will help you is to learn more combos so you are faster out the box on a random combo online but if for say you are practicing for a race beforehand, it won't make much of a difference in terms of pure speed. I know if I spent a lot of time on the game, I could become a much faster racer online but I only really do the odd TT now and again and have done less than 20 short online races in GT5.

If people are new to the game or have a lot of room for improvement then spending a lot of time can help gain speed. Skill level and knowledge becomes more of a factor if you are thinking about beating the best out there and it will be hard to overcome, even if you play day and night.

@Oshawa-Joe

5 laps is not enough to be competitive for the top spots. Make sure to be using a good tune and car for the TT if it is not a fixed car like most TTs.

Last edited:
Great win tonight outlaw. Good thing you are not an alien. I will have to take a closer look at your tips.

Pay attention to your mistakes and work to avoid them next time (wheelspin, missed apexes, understeer/oversteer and so on). Then work on where you can be more aggressive; use a bit more kerb, turn the car in harder, brake later and harder. Above all, be smooth, aggression does not negate smoothness. In the end, if you pay attention to what you are doing, the smooth application of what you have learned will pay off if you practice.

PS: One minor point, consider how fast you are prepared to go. I know that I could be faster in most time trials, but I'll often pull the pin after I've driven a satisfactory lap. Usually I'll gold a TT or license event pretty quickly, and once I've done that the incentive wears off. I'm sure if I spent more time and effort I'd be faster, but how much of yourself do you want to invest?

Some people have mentioned time trials. And you can't beat the Weekly Race Series for that (link in my sig). I think it definitely helped me improve from the pace I had with a DS3 to the pace I have now with a wheel. (They do a good job encouraging you to buy a wheel, too. :sly:)

From reading all the responses I'm surprised no one mentioned anything about Steering wheels, make sure you have one DFGT is a good budget wheel, or a T500 RS if you've got the money!

You'll probably be slower than you are now at first getting used to the controls. But as you get used to it you should be in general quicker. For Good practice on the wheel go back and to gold all the licenses.

The Force Feedback adds realistic effects which helps feel loss of traction and by looking at how much you are turning the steering wheel in comparison to DS3 you can pinpoint how much under/over steer and adjust accordingly.

If you have a lot of free time, try watching some YouTube videos of real races and some of the tracks, quite alot of them have in car cams showing the rpm gauge and footwork. Try to have a look at entry/exit speeds (note the driving line in the game is just a basic outline, as you develop your skills further you'll begin to drift off it).

Online races are probably the best if you are in a decent lobby, AI don't tend drive their cars to the limits...but that doesn't mean only race online, AI are good for practicing overtaking techniques.

This thread is great! Keep the tips coming guys it'll help everyone!

Last edited:
Find some good racers online, and forget about the guy in first, just try and keep up with the immediate car infront of you during races and you'd see improvement in your driving approach.

Also try and take your favorite car out to each track and test their corners for their limits, meaning how fast your car can go around it without slowing down too much. I think braking is very important if you are trying to get fast,

Brake too much = lose time,
Brake too less = lose time.

Practice smooth braking and you will see a huge difference in your times, specially on long tracks like the Nurburgring. 👍

i finished the game 5 times with all gold before i discovered on line racing and all that goes with it and it just gets better

All great great recommendations so far. Thanks.

In order to add a bit of fun into this - those that post a recommendation will have their names entered into a draw Thursday March 15th. 5 lucky people will win a ticket of their choice. I have many to pick from and will post the list here Monday.

Here are the tickets the winners can pick from:

Nascar, Modern Muscle, Clissic Muscle
Lv 1, 2, 3, 6, 13, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 1000,
66, 67, 70, 76, 84, 86, and 93

We have had so many people respond. I will draw 7 lucky winners instead of 5. I will be giving away tickets for a full week!

Draw will be on the morning of Thurdsday March 15th.

Keep it coming!

I have start start f1 2010 on xbox360 wit pad.
3 months later i have get my Mad catz Wireless Racing wheel.
6 hours Practise per day.
6 month xbox with f1 2010.
In Aug 2011 i have start with gt5.
And it was much better then F1 2010/2011 for me because the force feeback is almost near to real.
I practise much and have my Kart experience that is all.

My list
Turn the aids off
Learn to drift start with cars that are nearly stock
drifting teach's great car control and can help prepare you for oversteer when racing
try to get all silvers atleast in your licsences
Go online and try some shuffle racing these will help you learn racing edicut and how some lowend vehicles use there weight transfer aswell as racing on lowend tires
practicing on the Nurburgring helps aswell and finally
Kart racing will help teach you race stratagy andc a clean race line .
And read what these other guys say aswell thers some great tips up there
follow these youll be quick in no time

Dissclaimer
Having talent helps. some people may only be so quick
learning to go faster take's Time and Dedication

And it was much better then F1 2010/2011 for me because the force feeback is almost near to real.

You are for sure one of the fastest in the game and in karts. I don't think too many people can say they have raced karts against Vettel and Schumacher. congratulations on #2 position on the new 750pp TT and thanks for sharing.

Imo, one good way to improve would be joining the WRS events, if you give your best effort week after week, you will see a lot of improvement.

WRS has been recommended a few times and by some of the quickest guys in the game. You are Div 1 Gold and Adam I believe is as well. I never gave it much thought before, but will be looking into this in greater detail. I read through some of the WRS posts and it does look a bit confusing at first. Sounds like it will be well worth the time effort. Thanks Mike.

This is what I do. I love racing my ghost. Then on seasonal Time Trials, i usually download the ghost and see how close I can get to it and watch it's lines. After 10-15 laps I'm able to better my own time considerably, even though I have yet to keep up with the ghost for a whole lap.

I have looked around and tried to figure out how to do this....How do you download another person's TT ghost ??

thanks

WRS has been recommended a few times and by some of the quickest guys in the game. You are Div 1 Gold and Adam I believe is as well. I never gave it much thought before, but will be looking into this in greater detail. I read through some of the WRS posts and it does look a bit confusing at first. Sounds like it will be well worth the time effort. Thanks Mike.

All ou have to do is do the qualifier, just search for the thread in the section, then you send your qualifier time as described, later you will get a divisional placement, that will be announced in the promotion thread.

From there you can participate in the events. Its described how to do it in those threads. If you have trouble finding just let me know ill try to help you.

:)

just do all the practice tracks as you not losing anything by doing that, plus it really helps with the practice as well !!!!

Ya, 6 hours a day...I imagine most of the top players are spending upwards of 20 hours a week on GT5...You can get a fast lap fairly soon into it, but thats not good enough for em.....

The biggest factor with improvement is running laps. That takes a lot of time & its pretty damn de moralizing to be trying to improve times by tenths or even hundredths. Its also mind numbingly boring.

It almost reminds me of the movie where all the people are stuck in the cubes, running from cube to cube to try and escape the various death traps. When the last person finally escapes their released into the desert. Its a wacky army experiment designed to see the psychological effects. :sly:

Ya, 6 hours a day...I imagine most of the top players are spending upwards of 20 hours a week on GT5...You can get a fast lap fairly soon into it, but thats not good enough for em.....

The biggest factor with improvement is running laps. That takes a lot of time & its pretty damn de moralizing to be trying to improve times by tenths or even hundredths. Its also mind numbingly boring.

It almost reminds me of the movie where all the people are stuck in the cubes, running from cube to cube to try and escape the various death traps. When the last person finally escapes their released into the desert. Its a wacky army experiment designed to see the psychological effects. :sly:

I agree somtimes it seems the more i play the worse i am gotta take a day or two off now and then

Good movies:tup:

Rich and Wilso, you guys are plenty fast and don't need more practice. Give the rest of us a chance to catch up. As far as the TTs, I think the recommendations are to use them as a tool to improve. Chasing a top 10 ghost will help teach proper line, breaking points etc. 20 hrs a week.. I don't think so, but perhaps 2 half hour sessions each week could be helpful to improve skill.

The following names will be entered into the draw:
CARCRASH, Feralshooter
i love gt5, Yellow Bird 23
NikoBellic , RedPartyhat
Rotorist , hasslemoff
Ecchi-BANZAII!! , symustafa1996
phil_75 , TP1
tpark103 , Shadow1130
McSoap-90, outlaw4rc
Technicolors, Rich S
FordMKIVJ5, peter_vod69
pingers7, Aderrrm
saidur_ali , Dcdoz
papapeedz, Hollow
rap129 , useauget
roflcoptor, IMMORTALPILOT
McClarenDesign, Endless-Wilso
Sohvakettu , mike_gt3
JaySin85, Klsharp2000
trackripper123 , paulamag

Good Luck!

Update:

Here are the tickets the winners can pick from:

Nascar, Modern Muscle, Clissic Muscle
Lv 1, 2, 3, 6, 13, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 1000,
66, 67, 70, 76, 84, 86, and 93

We have had so many people respond. I will draw 7 lucky winners instead of 5. I will be giving away tickets for a full week!

Draw will be on the morning of Thurdsday March 15th.

Keep it coming!

The winners are:

tpark103
McClarenDesign
McSoap-90
klsharp2000
NikoBellic
Feralshooter
phil_75

I will also notify the winners via PM.

Last edited:

Latest Posts