2014 Jeep Cherokee "Liberty"

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 219 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
It looks like a Nissan Juke.............
k-bigpic.jpg

ku-bigpic.jpg

Inside we have what appears to be what common folk call an "interior." There is a center stack as well as a chunky steering wheel. It also looks like off-road modes are located on a knob next to the gear lever. Also, there is an electronic handbrake. Great.
ku-bigpic.jpg

ku-bigpic.jpg

According to the ever knowledgable folks at Allpar, the Jeep should offer a selection of V6 and four-cylinder engines:

The car is almost certain to have a 3.2 V6 instead of the 3.6, for better wheel travel and gas mileage. Export cars will get the current 2-liter four-cylinder diesel. Four cylinders are likely to be a Tiger Shark 2.4, and the 1.4 liter Fiat turbo as a gas-mileage king; there might be a single four-cylinder to simplify production and reduce engineering costs, but it now appears that the Cherokee will be a V6 only, at least in the United States. If gas prices rise, the VM 3.0 V6 diesel could be installed at a later date.

ku-bigpic.jpg

Source:Jalopnik

The Juke actually looks more cohesive than that monstrosity. It looks like a Chinese knock-ff of the Hyundai Santa Fe, down to the center console.

What a terrible way to treat a front overhang. Might be great for approach angle, but looks like poo.

Is it me or does it have horrible panel fitment/gaps?

It's a preproduction model. It's not going to be fully up to snuff yet.

---

The guy I know that works on the project said the new Jeep would look like something I'd never seen before from the company. He wasn't kidding.

Front looks like a VehiCROSS that someone sewed the eyes shut on.

2000_Isuzu_Vehicross_1of4153.jpg

That was the first thing I thought of as well.

The headlights are a bit confusing. I understand that the actual drive lights will be down near the bumper, but I just don't think it's a style move that translates well with the seven-slot grille. On paper, it sounds like it should be fairly competent off-road, approach and departure angles look like they should be pretty good, and the select-drive system should manage that power well enough. More or less, this one seems like it's been designed for the European market, and I don't know if that's a good thing. When I think "Cherokee," I tend to think of the bloody knuckle, tougher than nails SUV from the '90s. This ain't it.

I like it. Doesn't scream 'Jeep' design other than the grill, but still very moderen looking regardless.

Also,
Bane_TDKR3.jpg

That is an awful looking car. Not only is the front awkward and ugly, but the side profile doesn't seem to follow the same design philosophy at all.

What a terrible way to treat a front overhang. Might be great for approach angle, but looks like poo.
Talk to Lexus and Porsche because they've been doing it for years.

This thing should definitely be called a Liberty. Something this soft could never be a Cherokee.

Good hell that's an ugly trucklet! Looks like a VehiCross and a Juke had a baby together. For whatever reason Jeep hasn't supplied pictures of the rear, so I'll reserve a complete judgement until I see that. But for now, eww!

That's a Jeep?

...Sorry, I couldn't tell.

Then again, Jeeps for me died when they killed off the 4.0L straight 6, can't look at them the same.

As much as I love awkwardly styled cars I'd pass on this one. I presume they will facelift it within a year from launch...

Talk to Lexus and Porsche because they've been doing it for years.

Big difference between a nosecone and a ship prow. I can understand why you would want to maximize approach angle, especially on a Jeep. What I can't fathom is how the designers couldn't do a better job of hiding it, like everyone else does.

Funnily enough, in the official beauty shots, they take pictures at angles that hide this.

ku-xlarge.jpg

While I understand the desire to hide the prow by raising the grille up over it, that's probably the wrong way to go on a Crossover you want people to associate with machismo.

I'd say lower the grille below the prow and de-emphasize the corner lights. Give it a sort of Mustang-ish vibe, signalling it's ready to poke holes through walls or whatever else gets in your way. And when you're going off-road, you want those lights higher up. Much higher. Or they could be for the idiots who won't abort a river crossing until their headlights disappear. :D

The way it is now, it looks like a mishmash of elements stretched the wrong way over the sheetmetal on Photoshop. I don't doubt we'll see a whole lot of those "fixing" it before the weekend is through.

I agree. The 2012 grand Cherokee was better that's what is parked in my driveway right now.

It's not replacing your grand Cherokee since that's a different model but replacing the liberty (which ironically replaced the original Cherokee in '02)

Back