2016 Nissan Sentra Facelift | NISMO Variant Debut

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 209 comments
im biased but like all NISMOs looks better to be in black

CxVWLyTWgAASgtd.jpg

Until they sort out the steering rack and take out a few pounds from the chassis, it still doesn't seem like a credible comparison to the Civic Sport, let alone the new Si. I'm sure that Nissan will sell quite a few on looks and relative value, but I'm still looking this gift horse in the mouth.

A video of the Sentra and the guy announcing the car is claiming that the reason for it having no more power than a SR Turbo is to "maintain the balance in speed and corning".

Honestly, I feel a bit frustrated about the power figures. I mean, it's the "Nismo" model and from Nismo; I expect high performance figures. I guess maybe it's due to the fact I keep thinking of the 400R and the current Nissan GT-R Nismo's performance. I really was hoping that the Sentra would get the same kind of crazy treatment, it's kinda a shame really.

Last edited:
I'd only expect an awd Sentra, if Nissan were trying to make it high hp. I don't know how finicky the market is in the states.

"maintain the balance in speed and corning"

Y'know, I sorta kinda believe that when it comes from the mouth of the lead engineer for the MX-5. It's a small, two seat sports car all about the experience.

I find it far less likely on a hopped-up grocery getter.

All this car has managed to do is water down the Nismo name, should of just called it an SE-R if they had to.

That's a shame. I was expecting a rave about the suspension and a call for more power.

Anyway, I posed to a Nissan dealer back in 2000, that he should be the first in NYC to offer NISMO products. His response was, "People around here can't even pay their car note." I don't know the market strategy(with CUVs flooding the market) for the Sentra NISMO, but I think it's making "NISMO" accessible at an entry level price(in North America, I remember TRD did that with the Xb and Yaris)

Nissan Australia are introducing the NISMO brand with the new '17 GT-R NISMO. Don't know if they'll go down the same road, but getting the brand out there in the smaller cars helps too.

A video of the Sentra and the guy announcing the car is claiming that the reason for it having no more power than a SR Turbo is to "maintain the balance in speed and corning".

Honestly, I feel a bit frustrated about the power figures. I mean, it's the "Nismo" model and from Nismo; I expect high performance figures. I guess maybe it's due to the fact I keep thinking of the 400R and the current Nissan GT-R Nismo's performance. I really was hoping that the Sentra would get the same kind of crazy treatment, it's kinda a shame really.

While I agree with you I don't agree with your conclusion as to why you thought such. Is it a blow to the Nismo brand yeah. Why? Because Nismo isn't like other groups or until this came out as well as the Juke before it did I believe Nismo wasn't like other associated Japanese performance off brands. To me this is a blow, because I also have to ask, when did Nismo become TRD or Mugen (though not official they did have official honda cars sold), or even Ralliart.

While I agree with you I don't agree with your conclusion as to why you thought such. Is it a blow to the Nismo brand yeah. Why? Because Nismo isn't like other groups or until this came out as well as the Juke before it did I believe Nismo wasn't like other associated Japanese performance off brands. To me this is a blow, because I also have to ask, when did Nismo become TRD or Mugen (though not official they did have official honda cars sold), or even Ralliart.
TRD and Mugen have made their own specials Before(Japan only) but Ralliart is basically like a badge on mid range cars, kind of like this.

TRD and Mugen have made their own specials Before(Japan only) but Ralliart is basically like a badge on mid range cars, kind of like this.

Yes they have I highlight that, but in the mugen and trd most times it's a trim and not anything special like Nismo are known for. Also mugen specifically does handling when it does actually do performance level stuff, and Mugen isn't an official wing of Honda anyways, so that's why I was more hesitant to bring it up. TRD is a bigger offender. I recall in the mid 2000s during Supercars increasing fame, that they brought out Aurion TRD and even though supercharged it's biggest work done arguabally was on the exterior, where it has improved down force. Problem was they kept the same drive config, engine power wasn't that much greater than the S that ran near 300hp without it. Then there are the TRD models that had no performance upgrades but exterior.

The point was, that Nismo seem to be doing the same lately and that's an issue, less emphasis on the performance that they're known for and more on looks. Which is sad, cause I always saw Nismo in the same light as an AMG for Japan. Where sure you could get looks but you could always expect performance to a high degree above the regular non-tuned variants. I mean I agree with those dissappointed the last Nismo cars we saw before this were the GT-R, Juke, 370Z, Patrol. Compared to those this seems a bit tame, well other than the Juke being essentially similar.

Why? Because Nismo isn't like other groups or until this came out as well as the Juke before it did I believe Nismo wasn't like other associated Japanese performance off brands.
I wasn't comparing Nismo to other brands, I didn't say anything like that. I was saying that I was expecting the Sentra to have big performance improvements over the regular Sentra. It comes off now as nothing more than a sticker package.

I wasn't comparing Nismo to other brands, I didn't say anything like that. I was saying that I was expecting the Sentra to have big performance improvements over the regular Sentra. It comes off now as nothing more than a sticker package.

I never said you said anything like that nor implied not sure why your post seems to be worded the way it was. I'm simply going off the idea of a sticker package (believe it or not I understood what you were saying), and saying yeah I agree it's a letdown and seems more inline with what I expect from other Japanese makes that use their performance brand to push a lightly altered base version. I also say in my post which you didn't quote, that I didn't even agree with your sentiment as to my reason for the disappointment we share.

In simple terms, I'm saying yeah it's sad that they didn't put much effort into it, not because of what you stated (sticker package) but because of the way I see it more so obviously. A car that doesn't live up to the nismo brand.

Last edited:
I never said you said anything like that nor implied not sure why your post seems to be worded the way it was. I'm simply going off the idea of a sticker package (believe it or not I understood what you were saying)
Oh sorry, I got confused on what you were disagreeing with me about; I should have just asked to make sure.

In simple terms, I'm saying yeah it's sad that they didn't put much effort into it, not because of what you stated (sticker package) but because of the way I see it more so obviously. A car that doesn't live up to the nismo brand.
Okay then, I can understand that.

This NISMO Jp website shows the March as a performance enhanced package http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/products/complete/march_stune/top.html. When I read the Nissan USA websitehttp://www.nissanusa.com/cars/2017-sentra-nismo , the Nismo Sentra reads just like that March S-tune. I think this is to continue to educate USA buyers about Nismo at an affordable price. My mom bought a Juke Nismo because she wanted a newer, flashier Juke.

I remember the USA 350Z had optional Nismo wheels and aero bits. I don't feel it dumbed down the brand. Hardcore enthusiasts may think so. Some may be disappointed in this Sentra. Maybe Nissan are testing the waters.

This NISMO Jp website shows the March as a performance enhanced package http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/products/complete/march_stune/top.html. When I read the Nissan USA websitehttp://www.nissanusa.com/cars/2017-sentra-nismo , the Nismo Sentra reads just like that March S-tune. I think this is to continue to educate USA buyers about Nismo at an affordable price. My mom bought a Juke Nismo because she wanted a newer, flashier Juke.

I remember the USA 350Z had optional Nismo wheels and aero bits. I don't feel it dumbed down the brand. Hardcore enthusiasts may think so. Some may be disappointed in this Sentra. Maybe Nissan are testing the waters.

Testing them how...they went from a 240hp 1.6 bore out to 1.8, to essentially a 1.6 with a small eco turbo strapped. The only thing they kept was the body kit and the interior. The only nice touch is the xtronic cvt, rather than it just being six speed mt. Other than that it's Nismo purely in name to me, it's like people who buy BMW and Mercedes with M or AMG parts (wheels, aero bits) but act as if they have a true M or AMG. The only problem is they can get away with it here cause it actually has a Nismo badge.

At least the 370 has performance upgrades in Nismo form. I mean we're talking about going from 130-140 to 188 and you could already get that in the new eco turbo model they released before the Nismo.

So why is Nissan marketing it as a Nismo? The site is pretty much saying it's a Nismo tuned car.
A re-tuned suspension and added body stiffness are just a few of the NISMO-specific enhancements that drive the Sentra NISMO. From sharp curves to straightaways, the difference is palpable. Grip the 370Z®-inspired steering wheel as you feel the turbocharged engine rev, and you'll know that the Sentra NISMO is one of a kind.
Testing as far as the market. How many they can sell, may determine if they continue to offer NISMO products in that price range. Or else, why offer(as compared to the higher hp SE-R) a lower hp-performing model, as a Nismo?

So why is Nissan marketing it as a Nismo? The site is pretty much saying it's a Nismo tuned car.

Testing as far as the market. How many they can sell, may determine if they continue to offer NISMO products in that price range. Or else, why offer(as compared to the higher hp SE-R) a lower hp-performing model, as a Nismo?

Not sure I understand your question, to me it could be rhetorical but on second glance perhaps not. They are marketing it as a Nismo cause it is one, despite how tame. The point still stands the SR turbo is the same thing as this without the body kit and supposed go fast suspension. I'm guessing the SR turbo is the more econo family car with a nice ride and no need for track car like interior or sport cup tires. Power is the same, transmission options and over all car the same. So my question is yet again...why was this slated as the low priced Nismo fighter, when the original running concept was more of akin to Nismo?

It baffles me and makes me lose a bit more respect for Nissan, they toss away good concepts to never see the light of day, the concepts that they do bring are watered down when they hit production...and then the limited Nismo variants don't help matters. To be honest only R1600 probably knows the answer, and I wont push it out of him because he's got a job to hold down.

Not sure I understand your question, to me it could be rhetorical but on second glance perhaps not. They are marketing it as a Nismo cause it is one, despite how tame. The point still stands the SR turbo is the same thing as this without the body kit and supposed go fast suspension. I'm guessing the SR turbo is the more econo family car with a nice ride and no need for track car like interior or sport cup tires. Power is the same, transmission options and over all car the same. So my question is yet again...why was this slated as the low priced Nismo fighter, when the original running concept was more of akin to Nismo?

It baffles me and makes me lose a bit more respect for Nissan, they toss away good concepts to never see the light of day, the concepts that they do bring are watered down when they hit production...and then the limited Nismo variants don't help matters. To be honest only R1600 probably knows the answer, and I wont push it out of him because he's got a job to hold down.
Your question to my last sentence was, "Testing them how?". I was referring to this car as a marketing exercise.

Your question to my last sentence was, "Testing them how?". I was referring to this car as a marketing exercise.

The exercise is how many fools they can catch at the door and persuade them to spend extra money that their wife or girlfriend wouldn't want them to spend. If you're working on even half a brain you're going to stop and ask "is it really worth the additional money when the SR turbo is just as good?"

Back