2016 Nissan Sentra Facelift | NISMO Variant Debut

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 209 comments
I'm confused, I wasn't suggesting a concept was becoming real if that's what you read. Just making the comparison that a turbo model with a CVT finally seems likely and if so I can actually own it.
I thought you were referring to the Nismo model not coming with a CVT.

I thought you were referring to the Nismo model not coming with a CVT.

I was referring to the concept as seen, in relation. I'm sure at some point if they do decide to make it might have one, I was just sticking to what we know as a sure thing for now.

The Sentra is the least ergonomic car I've ever sat it. The seat-pedal-wheel relationship is designed for somebody with 2 foot legs and four foot arms. It ain't right. Even worse than Ford's seat bottoms which only support half a 6-foot person's thigh.

The Altima is much better but the materials and feel are still lagging way behind my 1998 Lexus. And I bet the leather driver's seats still don't last longer than 6 years before they fall apart.

As I was saying...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/10/nissan-sentra-turbo-sr-3451/

2017_Nissan_Sentra_SR_Turbo_01-4.JPG

The man comes through. :lol:

Too bad it's such a wimpy turbo. ;) I'm gonna head down to Miami Beach this week to check it out.

So finally it gets the Turbo from the Pulsar. It's a good engine with a nice torque curve, not overly fast but has the balls to leave a Mazda 3 2.5L in the dust.

fuel economy is pretty bad for a 1.6 Turbo though.

I'm pretty torn on the car.

On the one hand, Nissan has given us most of what we wanted. More power, stiffer chassis, manual gearbox, not too outrageous price. Problem is, it is still a Sentra, a car that is on a good day 200 lbs too heavy, with a suspension that's multiple degrees too soft, with materials and content that are significantly outclassed by competition from Honda and Volkswagen. At the very least, I'm interested in taking one for a drive given the Juke DNA that has been brought into the car. But I think you'd have to be a little off to spend the $23k on the SR-T compared to a Civic EX-T.

I'm pretty torn on the car.

On the one hand, Nissan has given us most of what we wanted. More power, stiffer chassis, manual gearbox, not too outrageous price. Problem is, it is still a Sentra, a car that is on a good day 200 lbs too heavy, with a suspension that's multiple degrees too soft, with materials and content that are significantly outclassed by competition from Honda and Volkswagen. At the very least, I'm interested in taking one for a drive given the Juke DNA that has been brought into the car. But I think you'd have to be a little off to spend the $23k on the SR-T compared to a Civic EX-T.

Not if you spent nearly that much on the SV or S+, then the extra 2-3k isn't that hard to deal with.

So finally it gets the Turbo from the Pulsar. It's a good engine with a nice torque curve, not overly fast but has the balls to leave a Mazda 3 2.5L in the dust.

fuel economy is pretty bad for a 1.6 Turbo though.

Would quite say "dust"... the Mazda 2.5 has more torque on paper. And while turbo engines often make a little more than advertised, the SkyActiv has great throttle response and down-low grunt, so it'll be close.

(Last Mazda 2.5 I drove was a 6. Back to back with the 1.6T Levorg... which it smoked.)

I've driven the Mazda 6 2.5 when i put my Mazda 2 in for a service and it was quite fast and is probably the smoothest 4 Cylinder I've ever driven, but the power and torque is no where near as solid as the Pulsar 1.6T.

In terms of useable power the Pulsar is certianly more practical but I would assume in outright speed it would be pretty similar, but the Pulsar is a big smack lower in weight then the Mazda 6, the Sentra is probably a bit heavier as our Pulsars are very Spartan being Thai spec.

Last edited:
I've driven the Mazda 6 2.5 when i put my Mazda 2 in for a service and it was quite fast and is probably the smoothest 4 Cylinder I've ever driven, but the power and torque is no where near as solid as the Pulsar 1.6T.

In terms of useable power the Pulsar is certianly more practical but I would assume in outright speed it would be pretty similar, but the Pulsar is a big smack lower in weight then the Mazda 6, the Sentra is probably a bit heavier as our Pulsars are very Spartan being Thai spec.

That's the thing. The 6 is rather heavy. It's light for a mid-sizer, at a shade under 1.5 metric tons, but the Mazda 3 is about 200 kilograms lighter. Which would make it a match for the Pulsar Turbo. (though the Turbo could probably still walk it, depending on how badly under-rated it is)

Shame that we don't get it here. Our top spec Mazda3 trim is the 2.0... which is nice and nippy, but not anything to scream about in terms of power.

The turbo and manual don't save this car. It's junk on the inside. The red car from the MotoMan video was trashed when I got in it on the last day of the show.

Well that's thousands of pounds of ass in and out of those seats. I can achieve that in about a month.

Thousands of people get into and out of nearly every car at an autoshow. That's sort of the point.

If it's already showing signs of wear after that, then yeah, it's a little crap.

To be honest you guys aren't far off, and I disagree with @R1600 as an owner. And viewing them over the years since I bought mine the material hasn't changed. The seats aren't great, I have plastic interior panels that fall out of place. And my wife usually knocks them back in out of frustration. I have massive holes in the rubber lining (probably from weather but still). I mean it's not really acceptable and pretty cheap, if I wanted a larger versa with the same crap in it, I'd have bought one. The 1.6T wont save the car, it may just be a nice distraction from it falling apart inside.

Top speed Test of the Euro Pulsar with the same engine on the Autobahn

235Km/h(146 mph) is pretty damn fast.

Well, I think I'm a bit disappointed by the performance figures. I mean, a Fiesta ST even has more power than this and it's in a smaller car class.

Last edited:
How has it taken until just now for me to see the similarities between this and the Focus sedan? At least from the rear 3/4.

I'm guessing there wasn't much of a sales case for a higher-powered model. Can't see this being more than a niche seller; it sits in an odd middle-ground in its class.

Reminds me of my old '88 16V Jetta GLI. Only had 123hp, but it was fun to drive. Hope that's the case for the NISMO.

Back