2016 Scion iA & iM

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 49 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
So, uh.....Mazda2 with an ugly face anyone?

2016-scion-ia-01-1.jpg

On the other hand, this is quite nice.

2016-scion-im-07-1.jpg

It looks like a Mazda 2... because it is a Mazda 2.

Mazda, pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease take back your 2 and then market it as a 2 sedan.
Thank you and have a nice day.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Toyota had plans for the Auris here. I remember hearing form somewhere that the US would get that hatchback as a Scion. *sigh* I still can't believe Toyota is keeping Scion.

Scion.... or Toyota, This design may have been acceptable for an economy car of 2010, but this is 2015.

Aaaaand you're wasting time by making a wagon look appealing the the modern teenager.
More of them would buy that if it was a hatchback!
The iM is a hatchback.

It's based on the Corolla.

In Australia they sell it as a Corolla Hatchback.

The saving grace for the iA will be the Mazda bits underneath. Assuming Toyota hasn't gone about extracting all the fun from the chassis, fair bet is that it'll be one of the most-fun B-segment cars out there. Buuuuuuut, I think anyone with half a brain will just stand around and say, "Hey, why wouldn't I just get the Mazda instead?"

The iM on the other hand makes so much sense it actually hurts. It looks good, its actually got space, and a basic one with the stick will be under $20k. That's a pretty good deal, particularly when VW wants to commit highway robbery with the Golf Sportwagen. They did leave us hanging on powertrains, but then again, I suppose this thing will be rock-solid when it comes to reliability scores. Torsion beam out back, though? Ugh.

18s and TRD lowering springs will spruce that right up!
Honestly, the iA looks ruined from the Mazda 2 sedan, and the 2 Sedan looks no where near as good as the Hatch anyway. The body seems too high up to work with the sedan shape.

Honestly, the iA looks ruined from the Mazda 2 sedan, and the 2 Sedan looks no where near as good as the Hatch anyway. The body seems too high up to work with the sedan shape.

Oh trust, it looks bad. I never liked that Fiesta/Festiva sedan. It looks just as bad as the Yaris sedan.

Why couldn't they just design iM like front for the iA? Being creative just isn't enough, especially if creativeness only leads in bad design, as it did in this case.

Looks like the Subaru VGT isn't the only design inspired by fish.
You're right, MINI has gone all fish faced too.

I'm going to say that I'm going to like the iM, I was kinda fond of the Toyota Auris already and it's nice to see it come the US.

The sooner all companies realize cars as small as the 2 can never look good as sedans, the better. Everything on the road now, from the awful Fiesta, the funny-looking Yaris, the bizarrely-proportioned Sonic, and the car that doesn't know which direction it's facing (the Versa, though it's a bit bigger than the rest), always looks bad, in any situation. Cars that short and narrow just don't work with the three-box design.

Nice to see the Matrix live on in another form, though. Those things are still all over the roads.

Back