2019 Porsche 911 (992)

I have to say, as a 992.1 GTS owner, I'm mildly disappointed in the update. I suppose it's a cliche for Porsche owners to perpetually disparage new designs.

I think in some ways, this is an improvement. Certainly the move from the 3.0 twin turbo to the new 3.6 liter single turbo is quite interesting. And from the few videos I saw, it makes a GREAT sound. And fuel economy is virtually unchanged, plus there. I'm happy that we still have a few years left of "traditional" music from the engine bay, and if it meets current emissions standards...yay. THAT was a good move.

However, if I'm honest, the current generation GTS already has plenty of power (473-hp). It's almost at the straight line performance level of the 991 turbo. No enthusiast will ever say it has 'too much' power. But, at what cost. Having the electric motor power the single turbo rather than exhaust gases (allegedly) helps eliminate turbo lag, which was, in my mind, ALWAYS a problem with forced induction vehicles, the 991.2/992.1 included. That I'm happy with. But, was it REALLY necessary to add the battery hybrid system on TOP of that? Without it, I believe I read in one review this setup would make about 480-hp. And with it, the 992.2 GTS is now a portly 1600+ kgs. Get rid of it. Sure, it's faster despite the weight increase. But it's already VERY fast. And it just adds unnecessary complexity. I'd rather they dropped the weight. The 992.1 is already a rather heavy car. Getting it down under 1450-kgs would be a bigger improvement in my eyes.

I'm wondering if they'll do just that (the new 3.6 single turbo but without the hybrid system) in the 992.2 911 S. For me at least, that would be a preferable option. More so because it sounds like the GTS at least will be PDK only. There we go again. Hopefully they'll keep the manual option for the S.

As for the rest of the changes, the loss of the analog tachometer...yeah...of course I'm sad to see it go but...whatever, that's progress. I suppose. And the push button start? Also, hey, what can you do. And the the active front aero? Mmm...I mean, yes, it's an aero improvement but come on, it looks kind of ugly. Or at least...silly It's sort of like they said, hey, let's take an idea from the B-engineering team, just to make them feel better. Moveable slats, ahhh, there we go.

Like most styling 'upgrades' it's likely to grow more palatable over time. Performance wise, it seems that Porsche is now commited to a Ferrari like race to ridiculous power numbers at the cost of weight.

As for the rest of the changes, the loss of the analog tachometer...yeah...of course I'm sad to see it go but...whatever, that's progress. I suppose.
I don't think that's progress, I think that's cost cutting. Big step back...the 992.1 instrument cluster was awesome. The new one is lame.

I don't think that's progress, I think that's cost cutting. Big step back...the 992.1 instrument cluster was awesome. The new one is lame.
There is a certain level of absurdity to consider such a move 'cost cutting' in a vehicle that has a base price of over $125,000. And most versions, considerably more with options. Granted, yes, they probably do save money, so, point taken. And that may have been a factor, but from an engineering perspective, it does give them a lot more options and flexibility by using a single wide screen. Given the choice, if it was an option I would rather stick with the analog gauge. However I guess the bigger point is, soon, no car will need a tachometer of any kind. And this was just another small, incremental step in getting there.

4.0 liter GT3 510hp

Coming To GT7 Spec 3? Lol

Love the Touring Manual 4 seats !
Love the chrome around the windows... So elegant and classy yet sporty business

Last edited:

8% shorter final drive
Touring gets a "Leichtbau" package
Weight is 1,420kg

Also the GT3 turned 25 years old this year :eek:

Last edited:
GT3 is 25 years old... wow.

Can't wait to put another scale model in my collection because I'll never afford the real thing 😂

2023-06-10_04-14-17.jpg

Back