2024/25 Premier League & General Football Thread

• Thread starter Liquid
  • 76 comments

Multiple Choice: If found guilty, what punishments will Manchester City face?

• Warning

• Fine

• Points deduction

• Demotion / Relgation

• Expulsion / Ban

• Titles stripped and excised

• No punishment

• I don't know / I don't care

• Other punishment

Results are only viewable after voting.
And Wednesday have signed young Manchester United stiker Charlie McNeill (loaned out to Newport and Stevenage last year, where he hit the net less often than Carlos Alcaraz) - along with getting Beadle back alongside Ben Hamer in the sticks, getting Windass, Bannan, Palmer, and Iorfa on new contracts, Jamal Lowe in from Bournemouth, England youth international Max Lowe in from the other team (via Forest), Tunisia international Yan Valery (ex-Southampton, where he worked with Rohl), and youth Polish and Swedish internationals Olaf Kobacki and Svante Ingelsson.

Quite a lot of youth in the newbies (except J. Lowe [lol] who's 29)... Given our 2024 form was playoffs, with players mostly not Championship level and mentally broken by Xisco... might be looking forward to the season a little bit maybe.

Also orange away kit 👨‍🍳💋

We actually signed McNeil from the Man City academy a few years back which was a big deal at the time as he was a player with a lot of potential but I think he has had a few injuries since then. Which has led to him declining a bit.

Third ever away win for Connah's Quay Nomads in Europe; Stabaek in 2016, Kilmarnock in 2019 and now Bravo Ljubljana in 2024.

And Wednesday have signed young Manchester United stiker Charlie McNeill (loaned out to Newport and Stevenage last year, where he hit the net less often than Carlos Alcaraz) - along with getting Beadle back alongside Ben Hamer in the sticks, getting Windass, Bannan, Palmer, and Iorfa on new contracts, Jamal Lowe in from Bournemouth, England youth international Max Lowe in from the other team (via Forest), Tunisia international Yan Valery (ex-Southampton, where he worked with Rohl), and youth Polish and Swedish internationals Olaf Kobacki and Svante Ingelsson.

Quite a lot of youth in the newbies (except J. Lowe [lol] who's 29)... Given our 2024 form was playoffs, with players mostly not Championship level and mentally broken by Xisco... might be looking forward to the season a little bit maybe.

Also orange away kit 👨‍🍳💋
And Nathaniel Chalobah...

Lille defender Leny Yoro is having a medical at Man United ahead of a £42 million move, United have already signed Dutch striker Joshua Zirkzee from Bologna for £36.5 million.

Luka Modric has signed a one-year extension at Real Madrid.

Chelsea have begun disciplinary proceedings against its midfielder Enzo Fernandez after he posted a video on social media that the French Football Federation said included a racist and discriminatory chant, the video was taken after Argentina's Copa America win with some of the Argentine players singing about France's black players. The video has rightly been condemned with Fernandez's Chelsea team-mate Wesley Fofana (who has one cap for France) describing it as 'uninhabited racism'.

«confused formation noises»

Anyone interested in a FPL for GTPlanet users?
League has been created! Please sign up in this thread

Was Man City's new 3rd kit selected specifically to rub salt in Arsenal's wounds?

third-kit-lead.jpg

Transfer round up from the last week or so.

Aston Villa's Moussa Diaby has joined Al-Ittihad for around £50 million, Diaby joined Villa last summer for what was then a club record fee for £51 million.
Villa then spent the £50 million they got on Amadou Onana from Everton.
Marseille have signed Spurs midfielder Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg on an initial loan with optional £17 million fee.
Everton have signed Napoli midfielder Jesper Lindstrom on loan.
Marseille have signed Mason Greenwood from Man United for £21 million.
Man City have signed Brazilian winger Savio from Troyes for £30 million.
Bologna defender Riccardo Calafiori looks set to join Arsenal for £42 million.

Brighton meanwhile have spent over 90m on 4 new arrivals, headlined by Yankuba Minteh, arriving from Newcastle for 35m.

Transfer round up from the last week or so.

Man City have signed Brazilian winger Savio from Troyes for £30 million.
So is Pep going to be running double wingers or is Grealish gonna be shipped off? Grealish, Doku, Bobb, Savinho. Deepest midfield in the world?

Transfer round up for the last week.

Fulham have signed Emile Smith-Rowe from Arsenal for an initial £27 million rising to £34 million which is a club record.
West Ham have signed Crysencio Summerville from Leeds for £25 million plus add-ons and also look set to sign Niclas Fullkrug from Borussia Dortmund for £27 million.
Crystal Palace have signed former Watford winger Ismaila Sarr from Marseille for £12.5 million.
Brighton's Pascal Gross has joined Dortmund for £8 million.
Chelsea have signed Danish keeper Filip Jorgenson from Villarreal for £20.7 million.
Bournemouth have signed defender Dean Huijsen from Juventus for an inital £12.7 million.
Everton have signed Jake O'Brien from Lyon for £16 million.
Conor Gallagher has agreed to join Atletico Madrid from Chelsea in a deal of around £34 million.

The Football league season starts this weekend with the Premier League season kicking off the week after, The Scottish Premier League season started this past weekend.

Wrexham looks better than last year's relegated EPL teams. Would be shocked if they don't wind up in the Championship next season.

Wrexham looks better than last year's relegated EPL teams. Would be shocked if they don't wind up in the Championship next season.
None of us demand promotion nor do many of us expect it. We're good enough to challenge for play-offs and I'd personally be happy with a top 10 finish and something to build upon. Just don't get relegated.

Haven't seen the new signings in action apart from George Dobson, who is proven at this level, so there is much still to digest. Long way to go but starting with a win over Wycombe is obviously very pleasing.

I'm not one for profound optimism, one swallow doesn't make a summer (or my night), and it is only a nearly-relegated side managed by a perpetual failure of a manager...

... but **** me sideways!

View attachment 1380149

Must have been very gratifying.

Transfers/news round up from this week.

West Ham have been quite busy in the past few weeks and they have signed German international striker Niclas Fullkrug for £27 million. And they have also signed Jean-Clair Todibo from Nice for an initial loan with a £34 million buy option.
Man City's Julian Alvarez looks set to join Atletico Madrid for £81 million.
Newcastle have signed Sheffield United striker William Osula for £15 million.
Spurs have signed Dominic Solanke from Bournemouth for £65 million.
Man United have agreed deals for Matthijs De Ligt and Noussair Mazraoui of Bayern Munich which will cost over £50 million, Aaron Wan-Bissaka will join West Ham from United for around £20 million in the coming days.
Brentford have a greed a deal with Liverpool for Fabio Carvalho for £17.5 million.
David De Gea has joined Fiorentina on a free transfer, he had been without a club since his release from Man United last summer.

I have got to give a special mention to Chelsea, they have around 45 players in the first team squad and they just keep buying players, Pedro Neto has joined today from Wolves for £54 million and they also signed another keeper this week which is the eighth they have! They are of course trying to sell players but that is giving them more problems as a few of them have been made to train with the Under 21 squad including Lukaku and Trevor Chalobah who has been with the club since he was 7 years old, that is an appalling way to treat an academy player and I genuinely think Chelsea are the worst run club in the league...and I include Everton and Forest in that!

In the Olympics Football, Spain beat the hosts France 5-3 in the men's gold medal match with Morocco thumping Egypt 6-0 in the bronze medal match, USA beat Brazil 1-0 in the women's gold medal match and Germany beat Spain 1-0 in the bronze medal match. Man City beat Man United 7-6 on penalties to win the Community Shield yesterday after it was 1-1 in after 90 minutes.

Last edited:
Lets go! Only a few more days till we are back to normality. Genuinely do not know how I would have coped without the Euros, and the Olympics this Summer. :dunce:

As a Toon fan, my optimism has dropped a lot. The fact we actually have to play by FFP guidelines has ruined that excitement - oh well, at least we can battle it out for 8th or something...

I'm not one for profound optimism, one swallow doesn't make a summer (or my night), and it is only a nearly-relegated side managed by a perpetual failure of a manager...

... but **** me sideways!

View attachment 1380149
What the hell is any of this?

And that's a cup game with 11 changes. Pol was too smol for that man-on-man job which left Pierce exposed, but neither did anything particularly wrong anywhere else. Setting up a goal in the first 25 seconds with a ****ing backheel though. What.

My Prediction for the season.

1. Arsenal
2. Man City
3. Liverpool
4. Man United
5. Spurs
6. Aston Villa
7. West Ham
8. Chelsea
9. Newcastle
10. Crystal Palace
11. Brighton
12. Everton
13. Bournemouth
14. Brentford
15. Fulham
16. Wolves
17. Forest
18. Leicester
19. Ipswich
20. Southampton

Here are the games for the opening weekend of the Premier League season.

Tonight.
Man United v Fulham (8pm Sky)

Saturday.
Arsenal v Wolves
Everton v Brighton
Ipswich v Liverpool (12.30 TNT)
Newcastle v Southampton
Nottingham Forest v Bournemouth
West Ham v Aston Villa (5.30 Sky)

Sunday.
Brentford v Crystal Palace (2pm Sky)
Chelsea v Man City (4.30 Sky)

Monday.
Leicester v Tottenham (8pm Sky)

My Prediction for the season.

1. Arsenal
2. Man City
3. Liverpool
4. Man United
5. Spurs
6. Aston Villa
7. West Ham
8. Chelsea
9. Newcastle
10. Crystal Palace
11. Brighton
12. Everton
13. Bournemouth
14. Brentford
15. Fulham
16. Wolves
17. Forest
18. Leicester
19. Ipswich
20. Southampton
United won against Fulham in the opening game of the season but they didn't look enough to finish in the top 4 this season. I agree with your top 3 but not sure if they will end up in the same order.

Chelsea have re-signed Joao Felix for £46.5 million from Atletico Madrid as Conor Gallagher has gone the other way for £36 million, Felix had a previous loan spell at the club after the January window last season. Raheem Sterling and Ben Chilwell have been told they can leave the club, Maresca did say today that they have 20 players in training right now which means there must be 10-15 players training away from the first team, which doesn't make the situation better.

Brighton have signed Georginio Rutter from Leeds for £40 million in a club record deal.
Leicester have signed Oliver Skipp from Spurs for £25 million.
Burnley have accepted a £25 million offer from Fulham for Sander Berge.
Ipswich looks set to sign Armando Broja on loan from Chelsea with an option to buy.
Southampton have signed Matheus Fernandes from Sporting Lisbon for £15 million.
Bournemouth have signed Evanilson from Porto for a club record £40 million.
Spurs have sign Burnley winger Wilson Odobert for £25 million.
Man City are working to bring Ilkay Gundogan back to the club.
Man United are still in talks with PSG over midfielder Manuel Ugarte which will be a loan with an option to buy.

The Chelsea-Wolves game was NUTS! Also, what's crazy is I'm seeing VisitLauderdale ads there at Molineux. The thought of West Midlanders coming here on vacation makes me a bit queasy. :lol:

Back