2024 Formula 1 Drivers threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 738 comments
Not that my opinion matters, but the way I see it; we won't know about Hamilton or Russell till next year. Mercedes will have "time" I'd imagine to either catch up with Ferrari/Red Bull or not. I think it'll be the telling year, whether Hamilton is able to even remotely compete for an 8th, or hang the suit up and go to HyperCar or something.

Russell has been solid this year, but again in a lack lustre car....so we can't tell if he's on the Leclerc/Verstappen level or not.

Say Hamilton leaves, and Mercedes like Russell's performance - then someone like Ocon makes sense. While we'd all love to see a Leclerc/Russell Mercedes line-up, the top teams are still straying widely from "two top dogs". Ocon has been pretty impressive in his seats in various teams, and I can see him being a solid Bottas-style replacement.

So to me, in a year or two Russell/Ocon seems like a reasonable line-up, but only if Mercedes figures out the car and Russell is able to show that he's capable of inheriting Hamilton's top seat when he departs.

I'm a bit shocked that Yuki is back for 2023. I am not shocked Latifi is out, I know, crazy.

So I guess that also confirms where Danny Ric will be next year, then?

(sadly I'm only half joking about that...)
I'm a fan of the guy and as much as I'd like to see him stay on the grid next season. I really can't see him driving for Williams. He's probably too expensive too, unless his recent performance reduced his overall market value considerably.

Finally we got the confirmation we've all been expecting.

We thank you for the mandatory pay driver role that had to be played by someone, Goatifi. :bowdown:

Someone on reddit made a nice chart

1664029941157.png

Last edited:
Someone on reddit made a nice chart

View attachment 1195028
Highlights it quite nicely. I feel IndyCar should at least match F2, Formula E and Super Formula should be above F3 and WEC and W series should at least match Formula Regional European to actually stand a chance of getting the end game it claims to want.

so you're probably better off not winning the title in F2 as along as you come in the top 3.
that way you are allowed to re-enter if you don't get a F1 drive.

They were hyping this date up for like a week, just to say that Zhou has decided to buy himself another year of driving for them...

He’s doing better than I thought he would, he deserves another season. Pourchaire needs more time in F2 anyway.

Game of musical chairs coming to a conclusion

so Gasly to Alpine. Just leaves one seat at Williams and Mick at Haas to sort out.

I don't think Zhou has been particularly impressive but he hasn't been catastrophically dreadful.

A couple of sites are reporting that Lewis re-signing with Merc is imminent, and that he could be in F1 for another 5 years:

George & Lewis seem to be a pretty solid pairing, we'll see if that changes when their car can win races consistently again.

Yeah 5 years is surprising. Fighting for a championship is only gonna get harder each year at his age. I guess he’s waiting around to see what’s in store for the 2026 regs.

I would be surprised if Hamilton lasts five years if he's not out front or even chasing wins. Maybe it's me but I don't see him as an Button or Vettel, willing to slide down the grid, or even a Piquet, content being third or fourth-best (teamwise) at most.

2 spots down, 2 to go.

If Williams are waiting for Sargeant getting a super licence, that puts things on hold until after Abu Dhabi.

Choices running out for Daniel as well. Haas not that bad a car (on this year’s evidence at least) - better than leaving completely or lurking at Mercedes hoping Lewis quits.

Back