2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 3,352 comments
Walz once got a DUI, driving 96mph in a 55mph zone, with a BAC nearly twice the legal limit.

Should be a guaranteed 50-state blue shutout.
At the very least, that speaks to the Upper Midwest since we're all mostly drunk and drive like it's our last day on Earth. Hell, he should win by a landslide in drunk ass Wisconsin with that on his resume.

But W got a DUI too and that didn't really do anything negative. Plus, if that's the worst thing the Republicans can find on him, then I think he was a good pick. Walz seems so inoffensive across the board and really the only other thing that could turn people off is that he looks old (even though he's not).

Republicans have a LOT to go on with this guy.

They would’ve had basically nothing to go on with Kelly.

View attachment 1378885
Team Red and Team Blue figuring out who can out-dumb each other with their VP pics

I give Kamala credit for leaning into the progressive she is, instead of the moderate she was pretending to be

None of this actually matters, because in the end…no one really cares. Still, Shapiro was the no-brainer pick just like Scott should have been for Trump
How is Shapiro the no brainer pick? I don’t follow. There’s no evidence to suggest that a VP pick from a swing state will guarantee a win for said state just by virtue of being the VP pick. Besides, Shapiro would have the most baggage- aside from the influx of sexual harassment and hostile work environment allegations against him and his obvious mishandling of the Ellen Greenberg murder case, his hardline Zionist stance would reignite the Israel/Palestine debate and risks alienating key democratic constituencies. On top of that, he’s not the most energetic.

Go ahead and tell us why you think Walz is a dumb pick.

With this Walz character being almost as progressive as Kamala (keeping in mind that he seemingly started off as a moderate, but moved Left), Trump will be able to move even further to the middle on some issues uncontested, without a true moderate like Shapiro occupying that space

With this Walz character being almost as progressive as Kamala (keeping in mind that he seemingly started off as a moderate, but moved Left), Trump will be able to move even further to the middle on some issues uncontested, without a true moderate like Shapiro occupying that space
"Character" is an interesting way to describe someone. Says a few things about what you're not saying about him.

Do you think that the politics of the VP selection significantly affect how the public sees the politics of the main candidate?

One of them was responsible for free school lunches for all students in his state.

One of them was rumored so strongly to have had sex with furniture that actual news outlets were forced to report on it.
He wasn't even actually rumored to have sex with furniture. There was no actual suspicion or even anything remotely suspicious involved.

Someone just totally made something up and posted it. It was hilarious and spread like wildfire... but it wasn't really a rumor per se.

Republicans have a LOT to go on with this guy.
Such as?

I think the Trump campaign is going to make a huge spectacle over Walz being governor during the BLM demonstrations in Minneapolis back in 2020. Trump seems to genuinely believe that the city of Minneapolis had been burned to the ground- like, literally large swaths of the city had just been decimated to rubble. Thus, Trump will also claim that this is somehow the outcome that Walz and the Democrats wanted. Meanwhile, Walz did all he could do in that situation- he sent in the National Guard three days after Floyd's murder and sent in the State Police even earlier. I don't think this line of attack will resonate with many, especially considering that many voters would not have any desire to relitigate 2020.

Whether Walz really is to the left of other VP contenders is irrelevant here. The GOP would call anyone that Harris picked for VP a radical left Marxist commie, even if it were Joe Manchin. We've known this for years, it's their Pavlovian response.
Trump will be able to move even further to the middle on some issues uncontested, without a true moderate like Shapiro occupying that space
Trump has countlessly shown himself to be wholly unable to do so. Wasn't it just yesterday that he went off script at a rally to lambast Brian Kemp, the Republican governor of Georgia? He has done nothing but move the GOP further to the right, regardless of how much it is at expense of being able to actually win elections.

Last edited:
He wasn't even actually rumored to have sex with furniture. There was no actual suspicion or even anything remotely suspicious involved.

Someone just totally made something up and posted it. It was hilarious and spread like wildfire... but it wasn't really a rumor per se.
I mean, I've never seen JD Vance not copulate with the couch. I haven't seen him do it either, but it's still a 50/50 chance it happened and given how weird he is, I'm leaning towards him being more of a loveseat lover, a futon 🤬, a sexer of sofas, or a diddler of davenports.

"Character" is an interesting way to describe someone. Says a few things about what you're not saying about him.

Do you think that the politics of the VP selection significantly affect how the public sees the politics of the main candidate?

“Character” was just the term I used, with no thought to it, really…other than like everyone else, I don’t know anything about him.

And no, I don’t think a VP pick makes a big difference. I believe I said so a few pages back, and eluded to the same in my full post on this page

“Character” was just the term I used, with no thought to it, really…other than like everyone else, I don’t know anything about him.
And yet I can't see you referring to republicans that way for some reason. "Character" is not positive. I think you picked it because you wanted to use a negative term.
And no, I don’t think a VP pick makes a big difference. I believe I said so a few pages back, and eluded to the same in my full post on this page
Ok, so if he doesn't make a big difference to how people view her political platform, what DO you think the pick demonstrates to voters? Anything? If not, why are you posting about him?

Last edited:
With this Walz character being almost as progressive as Kamala
I don’t know anything about him.

Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

And yet I can't see you referring to republicans that way for some reason. "Character" is not positive. I think you picked it because you wanted to use a negative term.

Ok, so if he doesn't make a big difference to how people view her political platform, what DO you think the pick demonstrates to voters? Anything? If not, why are you posting about him?

Ummmm…

I posted about him because I can, I guess. And I find the strategy of presidential campaigns fascinating.

I mean, I suppose a VP pick can signify the direction they want their presidency to go and/or as a vehicle to pursue a constituency they don’t have a direct line to. Or as a way to hedge against their own shortcomings.

And I don’t use the term “character” in a derogatory way. By all accounts he seems like a well-spoken and liked guy. I’m sure progressives are very satisfied with his appointment

View attachment 1378885
Team Red and Team Blue figuring out who can out-dumb each other with their VP pics

I give Kamala credit for leaning into the progressive she is, instead of the moderate she was pretending to be

None of this actually matters, because in the end…no one really cares. Still, Shapiro was the no-brainer pick just like Scott should have been for Trump

Ummmm…

I posted about him because I can, I guess. And I find the strategy of presidential campaigns fascinating.
That's quite the tone shift from the "out-dumb each other" remarks earlier. Your entire thesis here is that it's a stupid pick, it's so stupid, it's "both-sides" stupid on par with JD Vance. And yet, when pressed, you're refusing to give basically anything to support that and are now retreating into a "I find the strategy of presidential campaigns fascinating". As though your previous post were an academic musing of intellectualism and not an accusation that Harris blundered big time. So big, that it's Vance big.
I mean, I suppose a VP pick can signify the direction they want their presidency to go and/or as a vehicle to pursue a constituency they don’t have a direct line to. Or as a way to hedge against their own shortcomings.
Let's tie this back into the current conversation. Do you think Harris was doing any of this? What do you think she was doing?
And I don’t use the term “character” in a derogatory way. By all accounts he seems like a well-spoken and liked guy. I’m sure progressives are very satisfied with his appointment
Still seems derogatory. You're also implying but trying not to say that Walz is a big leftie with "I'm sure progressives are very satisfied". I do wish you would just communicate instead of hiding behind innuendo. It comes off massively insecure.

Most of us have been proven wrong several times over on this site. I myself have a big recanting post in the global warming thread, and as I mentioned very recently, I've shifted my politics some since I joined. There is no need to be so afraid that you'll put something out that will be shot down. It's ok if it's shot down, it won't destroy your reputation or render the site unusable for you. What does get in the way is when you kinda sorta try to say something but then refuse to actually commit. That bit is really annoying, especially when you want to pretend that you're much smarter and would have made a better choice.

You came in guns blazing, full of criticism and gusto, and are retreating to a non-position. It's your go-to move. It's not helpful, it's so much easier to have a conversation with someone when they just lay their cards out and are straightforward.

Last edited:

A lot of the reporting on it was pretty couched...
Trump will be able to move even further to the middle
:lol:
"Character” was just the term I used, with no thought to it, really…
I chose my words carefully on purpose.
:lol:

Trump will be able to move even further to the middle on some issues uncontested, without a true moderate like Shapiro occupying that space
Trump lost the ability to move towards the middle on anything when he embraced MAGA. He knows if he were to try and move towards the middle just a little bit it will anger the red hat wearing crowd and he can't afford that.

Walz has been filmed giving car repair tips online. Maybe Vance could demonstrate pointers on upholstery maintenance?

Not that I'm saying he should be charged with sectional assault or anything.

If his public breakdown is this bad, one has to wonder how much worse his private breakdown is.
We'd probably have to ketchup with an anonymous sauce for that.

Last edited:
Walz has been filmed giving car repair tips online. Maybe Vance could demonstrate pointers on upholstery maintenance?

Not that I'm saying he should be charged with sectional assault or anything.

We'd probably have to ketchup with an anonymous sauce for that.
I condiment believe you went there!

Back