2024 US Presidential Election Thread

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 3,640 comments
Those states that are definitely blue and definitely red just mean that so much of the country doesn't matter when it comes to campaigning. By coincidence, I happened to be reading about the 1960 election earlier today and it stood out that Richard Nixon spent time and resources (read: wasted time and resources) campaigning in all fifty states whereas John Kennedy focused almost exclusively on swing states. Considering that Nixon had good cause to cry foul on Democratic voter fraud in Michigan and Texas, two states which would have given him the Presidency had he won them, had he similarly focused just on swing states he might have done better in those now-crucial few states that actually matter. A bit ironic that the guy who tries to reach everyone gets it "wrong" and the guy who games the system gets it "right".

And I always love resharing this image:

2004CampaignAttention.png

The final five weeks of the 2004 election; personal appearances and millions of dollars spent on ad campaigns.

Look how much of the country just doesn't matter.
It's not exactly that it doesn't matter.

It's just that a lot of those bigger EV states are so firmly entrenched in one party or the other that it's nearly pointless for either side to give them more than lip service.
If you did away with the outdated Electoral College, that map would look a lot different. Now candidates would be competing for EVEYONE'S vote and not just the ones highlighted on the map.

If you did away with the outdated Electoral College, that map would look a lot different. Now candidates would be competing for EVEYONE'S vote and not just the ones highlighted on the map.
That means Trump is going to ring your doorbell.

I fundamentally agree with the concept that the states vote for the President rather than the people, but also disagree with the concept that each state should be winner-takes-all - which I think harms third parties waaaaaay too much.

I did a thing a few elections back where I calculated what the results would look like if each state's EC votes were assigned by the percentage split of the popular vote within the state, and it does give some fun outcomes.

Last edited:
That means Trump is going to ring your doorbell.
looney-tunes.gif

I fundamentally agree with the concept that the states vote for the President rather than the people, but also disagree with the concept that each state should be winner-takes-all - which I think harms third parties waaaaaay too much.

I did a thing a few elections back where I calculated what the results would look like if each state's EC votes were assigned by the percentage split of the popular vote within the state, and it does give some fun outcomes.
I think that by doing away with each state's electors, you take the power from these election boards, like Georgia, to make these absurd rules in order to interfere with the will of the people.

Plus I believe that by making the election decided by the popular vote, you make more improbable for an extremist candidate like Trump to succeed because they have to try and appeal to everyone. Not only their fanatic base but they have to try and win over as many moderates as they can. You can't do that being extreme right or left.

Yes, but also think of how many SUVs that plan will take off the roads. ;)

DK
Yes, but also think of how many SUVs that plan will take off the roads. ;)
While simultaneously making the roads less safe.
Wait, 40 to 50 years ago? Does that mean Plymouth and Pontiac will be back?!

The 18 page talk that the Dodge Aries had on the GTP Cool Wall has finally been vindicated.

Back